Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Actually it's good to say we should kill neonazis, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I take back everything bad I ever said about Awakening and Birthright's maps

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

In Training posted:

I take back everything bad I ever said about Awakening and Birthright's maps

Is Echoes that bad?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Is Echoes that bad?

the map design is non-existent. The weapon skill system is kinda neat but everything else feels like...well it feels like it came out of a FE game on the SNES

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Get this, nerds: all art is political

Video games aren't art. Boom

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

In Training posted:

the map design is non-existent. The weapon skill system is kinda neat but everything else feels like...well it feels like it came out of a FE game on the SNES

given that it's a fairly faithful remake of an NES game, that sounds right on the mark

I'm not that far in but I was jonesing for a normal fire emblem so this is neat

I'm real sick of the time travel/waifu/pandering garbage that the series has become. gently caress anime for real, for every cool thing it does, it does 10 weird or lovely things that starkly remind me "oh you are not the target audience for this, friendo"

People always describe their favorite animes with compliments such as "it doesn't take itself too seriously" but my hot take is that storytelling that takes itself seriously is cool and good, and actually requires skill to pull off. That's why we all made ironic art/song lyrics/comics/whatever as kids or young adults, being "funny" and ironic is a nice podium you can stand behind and hide your insecurities in.

Wow this post got away from me. In conclusion someone point me to good animes that take themselves seriously and aren't 10000 episodes long

Also lol @ the "why do games have to be political maaan" whenever a developer dares target mainstream white American culture. Try stepping out of of your own head every now and then geeze

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The Castlevania Netflix thing's looking tight
https://twitter.com/NetflixLAT/status/867485387953848322

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Truth.

Every Call of Duty game is ideological and political, it just happens to be the dominant ideology of the United States so it appears invisible to most people like fish in water

Persona 5 is an explicitly political game

This game is very specifically centered around domestic us politics as a backdrop, which makes the political chat worse.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yo soy la tiniebla adentro de tus nalgas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KingSlime posted:

given that it's a fairly faithful remake of an NES game, that sounds right on the mark

I'm real sick of the time travel/waifu/pandering garbage that the series has become. gently caress anime for real, for every cool thing it does, it does 10 weird or lovely things that starkly remind me "oh you are not the target audience for this, friendo"

People always describe their favorite animes with compliments such as "it doesn't take itself too seriously" but my hot take is that storytelling that takes itself seriously is cool and good, and actually requires skill to pull off. That's why we all made ironic art/song lyrics/comics/whatever as kids or young adults, being "funny" and ironic is a nice podium you can stand behind and hide your insecurities in.

Wow this post got away from me. In conclusion someone point me to good animes that take themselves seriously and aren't 10000 episodes long

Also lol @ the "why do games have to be political maaan" whenever a developer dares target mainstream white American culture. Try stepping out of of your own head every now and then geeze

Lmao it's not bad because it doesn't have dating or some stupid imagined thing you have insanely dreamed up it's bad because it's boring and all the maps suck so there's no strategy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KingSlime posted:

heybot

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I hope somebody enjoys the Castlevania thing because I'm sure I won't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate it.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I only want two things and those are: 1) I want music I can rock out to 2) For it to feature a sexy Dracula

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Half of the maps are solved by the incredible tactic of "shoot them from across the map with arrows until they die" and the other half are solved by doing that with magic instead. Mobile units are pointless because they get murdered by archers and there's sometimes 20 or 30 of them, and melee units are pointless because archery doesn't have a minimum range anymore and they almost all have poo poo resistance too. Have fun!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually don't like the time traveling children either but the lack of Support Dialogue is like, #14 on why Echoes kind of blows. And I've been in love wth the series since the GBA game was first brought over to the west, I've seen some ups and downs, and I think this is the worst FE game they've ever localized. I'm sure the old rear end games are probably worse but they have a pass bc I never played them and they're Old.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

But I'm sure I'm just sad they took out my "anime waifus"

You loving idiot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Go gently caress yourself!

Edit: Excuse me, I mean "that is a horribly cruel thing to do to any individual."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

🎶 tini eblas, in my hand 🎶

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
if you beat Farcry 5 without killing anyone you get an achievement called "The Tolerant Left".

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Lmao it's not bad because it doesn't have dating or some stupid imagined thing you have insanely dreamed up it's bad because it's boring and all the maps suck so there's no strategy

Oh yeah I'm not saying people are claiming it's bad because it's missing x, y, or z. I'm adding my own impression of the game and stating that personally, I like being on generic Fire Emblem territory after the mess that was Fates. It wasn't a direct response to anyone in this thread.

Don't take my posting as a personal attack on you lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Half of the maps are solved by the incredible tactic of "shoot them from across the map with arrows until they die" and the other half are solved by doing that with magic instead. Mobile units are pointless because they get murdered by archers and there's sometimes 20 or 30 of them, and melee units are pointless because archery doesn't have a minimum range anymore and they almost all have poo poo resistance too. Have fun!!!

The melee units are also stupid because there's no weapon triangle so there's no difference at all between anybody who attacks at close range. Just their defense stat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm excited for Far Cry 5 now, it's just about the bravest move a AAA has done for a while now (that will probably be disappointingly meagre)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Oh yeah I'm not saying people are claiming it's bad because it's missing x, y, or z. I'm adding my own impression of the game and stating that personally, I like being on generic Fire Emblem territory after the mess that was Fates. It wasn't a direct response to anyone in this thread.

Fates Conquest is my favorite FE ever and I might play through it again and abandon this one

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh romance stuff in games is usually implemented in such minor/lazy ways that I don't get people getting pissy or obsessive about it. In p5 it changes a few lines of dialogue and a few interchangeable scenes and that's it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

The melee units are also stupid because there's no weapon triangle so there's no difference at all between anybody who attacks at close range. Just their defense stat

spears and axes have higher damage but lower accuracy. the game never tells you this and there's no way to capitalize on it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FauxLeather posted:

I only want two things and those are: 1) I want music I can rock out to 2) For it to feature a sexy Dracula

My friend have you heard of Jojo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Motto posted:

tbh romance stuff in games is usually implemented in such minor/lazy ways that I don't get people getting pissy or obsessive about it. In p5 it changes a few lines of dialogue and a few interchangeable scenes and that's it

Yeah, even if I thought the conceit of the FE kids was bizarre and completely wack in Fates in particular, it's mechanically fun to craft perfect stats babies by pairing parents up properly like Pokémon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you phone for adding the proper accent mark

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You better marry that phone, she's a keeper!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ironically, the whole marrying off your protagonists to get the right future babies thing is one of the oldest Fire Emblem mechanics and cannot be blamed on the dreaded Modern Anime at all. It was in Geneology of the Holy War, on the SNES!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

KingSlime posted:

I'm going to pretend that you didn't say the last part and recommend Hunter x Hunter and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. They're both a little over 100 episodes each, but they take themselves very seriously and are well worth a watch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ironically, the whole marrying off your protagonists to get the right future babies thing is one of the oldest Fire Emblem mechanics and cannot be blamed on the dreaded Modern Anime at all. It was in Geneology of the Holy War, on the SNES!

They should do an Echoes version of Genealogy, if Echoes is going to be their Remake Brand

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

someone should remake echos. metroid prime echos that is. because it would be prime 1 level with some changes

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I'm going to pretend that you didn't say the last part and recommend Hunter x Hunter and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. They're both a little over 100 episodes each, but they take themselves very seriously and are well worth a watch.

100 episodes each seems fairly tolerable, I'll check em out! An old college roommate absolutely ruined anime for me (he would watch the cringiest poo poo at full blast even when we had company over, why is a college aged adult male obsessed with a cartoon about japanese high school boys who get into awkward, sexually-charged situations, wtfffff jerry you weirdo and I thought your MLP phase was bad) but I've always been a fan of older 80's and 90's style anime.

Hmm on that note I never did finish reading Berserk, kinda felt like the story was going nowhere on that one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

someone should remake echos. metroid prime echos that is. because it would be prime 1 level with some changes

Strip out the ammo limits and make the 9 keys something more fun to do and yeah. And include a challenge mode with a bunch of time trial screw attack stages

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

KingSlime posted:

100 episodes each seems fairly tolerable, I'll check em out! An old college roommate absolutely ruined anime for me (he would watch the cringiest poo poo at full blast even when we had company over, why is a college aged adult male obsessed with a cartoon about japanese high school boys who get into awkward, sexually-charged situations, wtfffff jerry you weirdo and I thought your MLP phase was bad) but I've always been a fan of older 80's and 90's style anime.

Hmm on that note I never did finish reading Berserk, kinda felt like the story was going nowhere on that one.

It's ok, Berserk will never be finished either

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

In Training posted:

I actually don't like the time traveling children either but the lack of Support Dialogue is like, #14 on why Echoes kind of blows. And I've been in love wth the series since the GBA game was first brought over to the west, I've seen some ups and downs, and I think this is the worst FE game they've ever localized. I'm sure the old rear end games are probably worse but they have a pass bc I never played them and they're Old.

I thought Shadow Dragon was supposed to be the worst one

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Dragon Quest: Rivals

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/24/strategic-card-battler-dragon-quest-rivals-announced-smartphone-japan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3GmpxktwMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KingSlime posted:

wtfffff jerry you weirdo and I thought your MLP phase was bad

so were you kramer in this scenario or were you george

• Locked thread