Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/aparnapkin/status/867497982027059201

The funny thing is that most countries have this. If they elect an evil senile orange hate golem, they can call for early elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

farraday posted:

Also apparently 45k population Binghamton is a city.

Yes? Words mean things, sorry you had to learn this way.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jesus christ, shut the gently caress up, you lovely loving gimmick. I legitimately don't understand why you haven't just killed yourself already.

You know what would be more useful than spending every day masturbating 'til your dick bleeds? loving working. On anything. Anything the gently caress at all. Do you write your congressman? Do you phonebank for progressive candidates? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Pass out flyers? loving anything that would make anyone on the surface of this loving earth glad you exist?

We've got life and death issues here and the only thing you're capable of talking about, incessantly, is how good you are at gargling your own cock. If all you've got to say in the midst of one of the most significant political periods in American history is "Appreciate the congrats" then just loving be honest with your worthless self for once and go join the GOP.

whoa yikes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

farraday posted:

Also apparently 45k population Binghamton is a city.

Did you think it was a hamlet?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

How do you offer them education and better opinions if they have no access to it?

That's how politics works. You have to reach out to those people and engage them. You have to present better options to the people. I'm saying if we're wanting to maximize our 2018 electoral impact, then yeah we do need to be look at wedging Republican voters in a bunch of districts.

There are many Republican voters in 2016 that honestly thought Republicans wanted to pass a healthcare plan that would insure more people than Obamacare. Those are people who are Republican voters who might stay home if we push the shittiness of the AHCA.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Knifegrab posted:

So wait is the CBO report fully out now? I cannot seem to find it...

Read the thread bargefink

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

She's not wrong. Covok is a boring gimmick.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rigel posted:

The funny thing is that most countries have this. If they elect an evil senile orange hate golem, they can call for early elections.

At the very least we should have that option for proven election fraud. It's not OK that one side can steal the election and there really is no recourse beyond passing the Presidency down to someone else on that side.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

i'm the guy who's never heard of cuyahoga national park or the allegheny mountains

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

glowing-fish posted:

Sorry, Binghamton, New York, Toledo, Ohio, and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I am not an expert on the East Coast, the only one of those cities I've been to is Toledo.

I don't blame you for not knowing about Binghamton. I went to college there and it sucked. Dead rear end town. Nothing much to do there outside the college and the bars.

Speech to text can be iffy.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Captain Monkey posted:

Ok.

This is a weird hill to die on though.

I actually told my friends last November that I would die on the hill of Ohio being on the East Coast, I ended my relationship with several of my friends who denied that Ohio is an East Coast state.

The need of people in suburban Ohio to cosplay that they didn't live in another boring Eastern state is what sold our country out, I have no qualms about being angry at East Coast people.

The original comment I was replying to was someone saying that Montanas would be okay with someone donating to white nationalist groups. I think that person was probably an urbanite talking about suburbanites and trying to extrapolate from that.

It wasn't the small percentage of Americans living in rural areas who elected Trump, it was mostly suburbanites in a few Eastern states who did so:

https://medium.com/@mnharris/there-are-two-rural-americas-720b382bf092

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

east coasters consider the parts of new york outside the new york city metro area just barely on this side of a max max hellscape, except the vacation spots, or (if from outside new york) have never really considered that there's a part of New York besides the city and sort of forget it's there

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

Um, what?

it sounds like they're trying to keep trump from starting a war on his own by putting some kind of roadblock in congress.

ie: make it where he can't use military action without approval first

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

I actually told my friends last November that I would die on the hill of Ohio being on the East Coast, I ended my relationship with several of my friends who denied that Ohio is an East Coast state.

The need of people in suburban Ohio to cosplay that they didn't live in another boring Eastern state is what sold our country out, I have no qualms about being angry at East Coast people.

The original comment I was replying to was someone saying that Montanas would be okay with someone donating to white nationalist groups. I think that person was probably an urbanite talking about suburbanites and trying to extrapolate from that.

It wasn't the small percentage of Americans living in rural areas who elected Trump, it was mostly suburbanites in a few Eastern states who did so:

https://medium.com/@mnharris/there-are-two-rural-americas-720b382bf092

They live in a boring midwestern state. This is not difficult. Lol at a guy who doesn't know an entire mountain range exists trying to get smug about geography.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rigel posted:

Just abolish the damned office. It's too powerful for what it was supposed to be, too dangerous, and too easily stolen.
Replace it with a third body of representatives or nothing at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

loving disgusting. I should have slugged him in the face when I was working in Congress. :mad:

Unless you punch hard enough to crush a human skull it wouldn't have been worth it.

glowing-fish posted:

Sorry, Binghamton, New York, Toledo, Ohio, and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I am not an expert on the East Coast, the only one of those cities I've been to is Toledo.

With your classification of 'east coast' yes, I'm from the east coast. :v:

RandomBlue posted:

Exactly why were they allowed to add all that poo poo when dems didn't need their votes? Stupidity?

If the question is "are Democrats that stupid?" the answer is always yes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yes? Words mean things, sorry you had to learn this way.

if every single person in the town can have their own seat in a medium sized football stadium it's not a city

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Buca di Bepis posted:

Are you confused about what the definition of a city is? Did you think it was a hamlet?

Uh, actually, by strict definition, they're right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_hierarchy

A "city" is 100k to 300k. Binghamton is a "Large Town".

(Not like this means anything, most likely.)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Google Butt posted:

Read the thread bargefink

Yes I have seen the countless analysis threads, tweets and news threads, and what not but I cannot find a direct link anywhere to the actual report.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

evilweasel posted:

east coasters consider the parts of new york outside the new york city metro area just barely on this side of a max max hellscape, except the vacation spots, or (if from outside new york) have never really considered that there's a part of New York besides the city and sort of forget it's there

lol new york state proper IS a mad max hellscape with snow replacing sand, MAGA replacing Australians.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

RandomBlue posted:

At the very least we should have that option for proven election fraud. It's not OK that one side can steal the election and there really is no recourse beyond passing the Presidency down to someone else on that side.

I think the constitution did originally plan for that as the Vice President use to be the runner up in the election, rather than the added to the ticket when they ran for the office, but this was changed with the 12th amendment.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bhaal posted:

As someone who didn't go east of the mississippi until 18 I can confirm that for most of us out west here, "east coast" starts somewhere around Indianapolis.

It's not that we're dumb (well, it's not the reason we're dumb), we just don't care about useless trivia. It's east. Oh it's not directly on the water? okay

OK so you grasp the first word of ''east coast', it seems to be the second word throwing you for a loop

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

evilweasel posted:

Nassau county is a loonie bin, you don't have to go far.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jesus christ, shut the gently caress up, you lovely loving gimmick. I legitimately don't understand why you haven't just killed yourself already.

You know what would be more useful than spending every day masturbating 'til your dick bleeds? loving working. On anything. Anything the gently caress at all. Do you write your congressman? Do you phonebank for progressive candidates? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Pass out flyers? loving anything that would make anyone on the surface of this loving earth glad you exist?

We've got life and death issues here and the only thing you're capable of talking about, incessantly, is how good you are at gargling your own cock. If all you've got to say in the midst of one of the most significant political periods in American history is "Appreciate the congrats" then just loving be honest with your worthless self for once and go join the GOP.

Nice meltdown.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Supremezero posted:

Uh, actually, by strict definition, they're right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_hierarchy

A "city" is 100k to 300k. Binghamton is a "Large Town".

(Not like this means anything, most likely.)

Uh actually, by strict definition, they're way off https://www.census.gov/population/censusdata/urdef.txt

quote:

The Census Bureau defines "urban" for the 1990 census as
comprising all territory, population, and housing units in
urbanized areas and in places of 2,500 or more persons outside
urbanized areas. More specifically, "urban" consists of
territory, persons, and housing units in:

1. Places of 2,500 or more persons incorporated as cities,
villages, boroughs (except in Alaska and New York), and
towns (except in the six New England States, New York,
and Wisconsin), but excluding the rural portions of
"extended cities."

2. Census designated places of 2,500 or more persons.

3. Other territory, incorporated or unincorporated,
included in urbanized areas.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RaspberryCommie posted:

I think the constitution did originally plan for that as the Vice President use to be the runner up in the election, rather than the added to the ticket when they ran for the office, but this was changed with the 12th amendment.

Ah, that makes more sense.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

i'm the guy who's never heard of cuyahoga national park or the allegheny mountains

Cuyahoga National Park is not a wilderness area.

I know that if you are from the East Coast, you don't have any idea of something more rural than "3 Miles from the freeway", but yes, such areas exist.
I was originally going to mock East Coasters by saying "This park is so wild you can barely hear the freeway", but wow, it really is like within earshot of the freeway?

That is adorable.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Rigel posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I assume most conservative parties in other countries are nowhere near as evil as the GOP, and are basically in favor of being a little less generous but still wanting people to be cared for at some level.

Our conservative party is run by a cartoonishly evil brotherhood of supervillains. I imagine people in other countries are confused and horrified for our sake.

Oh haha no, they're just as evil the world over. For example in Finland, our current conservative government is trying to pass a massive healthcare reform that's basically major privatisation. We'll still be better off than the US afterwards, but that's merely a result of better starting point pre-wrecking.

The UK's conservative party just laid out their manifesto for the upcoming elections. Highlights include re-legalising fox hunting (as in, a party of poshos chasing down a fox on horseback with hounds, and killing the fox by having the hounds rip it apart).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

Woah. It's almost as if you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

I know that if you are from the East Coast, you don't have any idea of something more rural than "3 Miles from the freeway", but yes, such areas exist.
I was originally going to mock East Coasters by saying "This park is so wild you can barely hear the freeway", but wow, it really is like within earshot of the freeway?

That is adorable.

You still didn't know an entire mountain range existed, you dumb gently caress. Do you seriously think there's anything you can say at this point that will make anybody believe you know what you're talking about? Just take the L.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867500914332053505

paul ryan has to come hat in hand to nancy pelosi and beg her for the votes to prevent economic meltdown

again

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So is the senate gonna vote on this bill now or....? Are they still rewriting it?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ornedan posted:

Oh haha no, they're just as evil the world over. For example in Finland, our current conservative government is trying to pass a massive healthcare reform that's basically major privatisation. We'll still be better off than the US afterwards, but that's merely a result of better starting point pre-wrecking.

The UK's conservative party just laid out their manifesto for the upcoming elections. Highlights include re-legalising fox hunting (as in, a party of poshos chasing down a fox on horseback with hounds, and killing the fox by having the hounds rip it apart).

That's hilarious.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

New York State [has] no wilderness areas, no mountains

what on earth

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

evilweasel posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867500914332053505

paul ryan has to come hat in hand to nancy pelosi and beg her for the votes to prevent economic meltdown

again

Freedom Caucus is the best thing that ever happened to the Dems.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Tatsuta Age posted:

OK so you grasp the first word of ''east coast', it seems to be the second word throwing you for a loop

Well, the coast is the area between the ocean and once you hit some sort of relief or mountains. Since there are no mountains, it is all coast.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I do write my congressman, phone bank for Democrats, and volunteered at soup kitchen. I also do other things. But this election taught me that a bunch of people telling me everything is alright is the wrong advice to take. Those people are always wrong and things are always worse than you expect. The bad thing will always happen and the evil guys will always win. So you got a fight as hard as possible to eke out some kind of pathetic victory. That's all that goodness will ever achieve in this universe for we live in a very uncaring place and our lives do not matter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

That is adorable.

Dude I'm from Utah, and you're being a moron

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Buca di Bepis posted:

what on earth
Depends on your definition, but "wilderness" isn't really the word I'd use to describe anything in New York. There some large hills, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For reference, New York State has 180 state parks and 3 separate mountain ranges

• Locked thread