Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Come down this rabbit hole with me

http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Eparkx032/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Come down this rabbit hole with me

http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Eparkx032/

choose your own word salad adventure

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

La Brea Carpet posted:

Speaking of cats

My [29F] husband [29M] of 3 years and I couldn't agree on baby names, so we made a bet to determine what the name would be. I won and now my husband is refusing to honor the bet.

I live in Louisville and there really are lots of people this dumb, this annoying, this obsessed with basketball and this willing to let a game of shooty hoops determine the course of their child's life :suicide:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

LGD posted:

P. sure 'Nimrod' did during the 20th century (to the degree that it was ever in style)

It's all thanks to Bugs Bunny using it ironically too

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Grade A avatar/post combo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

This is the stupidest reason to like the term, but I appreciated it because once while struggling to call someone stupid and being told that pretty much every term from dumb to idiot to stupid were ableist I stumbled onto Nimrod and just relished it as I said it over and over again.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

have you spent a bunch of mental energy on finding the 'healthy at any size'-approved way to call someone a fatass too

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's an important function of language, to be able to describe someone else as being the opposite of intelligent, i.e. stupid, and doing things an intelligent person would not do (stupid things).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

have you spent a bunch of mental energy on finding the 'healthy at any size'-approved way to call someone a fatass too

Yes. I described myself as more out of breath than an obese person after climbing the sears tower and was told that just because they were obese it didnt mean they were out of shape and would be winded after the climb. Thats the sort of thing thay motivates a lot of new lateral thinking.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Calling people stupid is racist against the french

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 24, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
also i'm sure no one cares but i think the guy that wrote about how french troubadours invented the concept of love is confusing it with the literary notion of "courtly love", which was basically all chivalry and nobility and slaying dragons for fair maidens and poo poo

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

barbecue sauce

Berth ell pup sauuuce

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

haha yes yessss the epic berth ell pup meme, loving finally

Me 18m with my Dad 46m, I'm afraid he's going to do something to the man who killed my mother

quote:

My mom was killed around 10 years ago, when I was 8. She was killed by a drunk driver. We live in a relatively small town, and everyone knew who did it. The guy was sentenced to 10 years. I can't even remember her anymore. I can only just look at pictures of her, all because of a horrible person. I hate this guy so so much. But it's nothing compared to how much hate my dad feels for him. It took a few years for my dad to recover. He still went to his job, he still drove me around, but he didn't talk much. He kinda just lost his emotions. I remember him leaving for a few days 4 years ago, and he came back a different person. I asked him what happened , and he told me he made his peace with what happened. But now? Its a few months before the guy who killed my mom gets out. He's coming back to our town. He has family here, and they are going to let him come back. My dad has changed completely. He's stopped talking to me except for maybe a few sentences. He bought a shotgun maybe 2 weeks back. I asked him about it and he told me it was none or my business. Just yesterday he was crying. I asked him to tell me what was wrong, and he just hugged me. He told me I was growing up, I'd have to stand up for myself, and one day he wouldn't be with me anymore. I'm scared that he said those thing and he bought that gun because he intends to kill the other guy once he gets out of jail, and I think my dad will do it even if it means he goes to jail or dies. I have no one I can talk to, and I don't know what to do. I can't just call the police, or tell someone. We aren't a super part of the community. People see us as that family that the mom died, and now they just keep to themselves. I don't know what to do or who to talk to. I don't want my dad to ruin his life for revenge. I just don't know. I feel completely helpless.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Me 18m with my Dad 46m, I'm afraid he's going to do something to the man who killed my mother

Yea this is a murder suicide in the making and you actually CAN just call the police!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

These are Oliver and Molly. I had to rehome them about six months ago. Nobody I knew, coworkers included, were looking to take in some kitties, so I had to surrender them to the local ASPCA. I paid for the adoption fees and three months worth of flea/tick/heartworm medication (they were pest free, but I wanted to make them more attractive for prospective animal parents). They were adopted within a week. I miss them a lot ;_;

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

There's a followup to this one somewhere.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Yes. I described myself as more out of breath than an obese person after climbing the sears tower and was told that just because they were obese it didnt mean they were out of shape and would be winded after the climb. Thats the sort of thing thay motivates a lot of new lateral thinking.

I called a dude criminally obese once and it made a bunch of people hella mad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Seems like no one died at least

quote:

I want to thank every single person who gave me advice. All of it was really helpful, and it calmed me down, and gave me a plan.

I went up to my dad on monday, and said this to him "Dad, I love you and I'm worried about how you've been behaving recently. You're a good father and I'm scared that you're going to do something rash and you won't be around anymore. Please talk to me and tell me what's going on." (Credit to /u/abitnotgood). My dad just had a deer in the headlights look. I then told him "Dad, you've been acting different lately with buying a gun, and crying, and all the other things. What's going on? I know you are having a lot of feelings because the guy who killed mom is getting out soon. So am I, we can work on this together." My dad broke down, and so did I. We talked about how hard it was for him when Mom first died, how he was sorry for being so distant in the first few years, how he felt like a terrible father and husband. I asked him the question if he intended to kill the other guy, or commit suicide. He cried even harder, and said he was confused, and didn't know if killing that guy would avenge mom's death. I told him that Mom wouldn't want him to go to jail for the rest of his life, and neither do I. That guy wasn't worth it, and I didn't want him to take both my parents away from me. I bought up counseling, and he agreed to go. I got one separate for him and me, because I didn't feel it was right to intrude upon his closure. I mean he did know my mom as a different person, and had different experiences. We are going to a therapist this saturday, one in the city, and my dad promised to sell the shotgun. I want to thank everyone here from the bottom of my heart for helping me, and my dad though this. Thank you.

tl;dr: My dad and I talked it out, we got to the problem, we are going to get help.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah here

quote:

I want to thank every single person who gave me advice. All of it was really helpful, and it calmed me down, and gave me a plan.

I went up to my dad on monday, and said this to him "Dad, I love you and I'm worried about how you've been behaving recently. You're a good father and I'm scared that you're going to do something rash and you won't be around anymore. Please talk to me and tell me what's going on." (Credit to /u/abitnotgood). My dad just had a deer in the headlights look. I then told him "Dad, you've been acting different lately with buying a gun, and crying, and all the other things. What's going on? I know you are having a lot of feelings because the guy who killed mom is getting out soon. So am I, we can work on this together." My dad broke down, and so did I. We talked about how hard it was for him when Mom first died, how he was sorry for being so distant in the first few years, how he felt like a terrible father and husband. I asked him the question if he intended to kill the other guy, or commit suicide. He cried even harder, and said he was confused, and didn't know if killing that guy would avenge mom's death. I told him that Mom wouldn't want him to go to jail for the rest of his life, and neither do I. That guy wasn't worth it, and I didn't want him to take both my parents away from me. I bought up counseling, and he agreed to go. I got one separate for him and me, because I didn't feel it was right to intrude upon his closure. I mean he did know my mom as a different person, and had different experiences. We are going to a therapist this saturday, one in the city, and my dad promised to sell the shotgun. I want to thank everyone here from the bottom of my heart for helping me, and my dad though this. Thank you.

in other news:
fiance (25f) and I (23m) of four years were on our way to breaKing up. I was becoming ok with it but she dumped me by Facebook tagging me in a pic of her and the guy she was cheating with. How in the world do I recover from this?

quote:

Try to make this quick because the details are not that unique. Was with my fiancé for 4 years. First two were awesome, third was miserable and she convinced a very naive me that out problems would be fixed by getting married. Year four was ok while she took over and planned our wedding. About two months ago the hairs on my neck tingled that she might be cheating. After some denial I looked into it and had all but the smoking gun that something was up.

I was building the nerve to end things with her and was going to officially ask for the ring back and go as non-contact as earthly possible on Monday when she was back in town (she had supposedly left to visit her cousin across the state line or one town over essentially).

About noon today my phone starts going crazy. On the lock screen I see about 50 different Facebook icons...all of which say "mom commented on a picture you were tagged in," "Sara commented..." And so on. I knew something was up because I'm not that active on FB and I looked at the pic it was her embracing the guy i suspected all along and the post of "THIS IS HOW YOU END THINGS...gently caress YOU ANTHONY"

I stared for a long time and read and reread the comments (her friends telling her how "fierce" she was and my friends and family telling her off) looked at all the licks and shocked faces for the better part of an hour. My mom called me, my grandma called me, my aunts, cousins and friends all called--and all adding to my humiliation.

Im still getting notifications. The last one was calling me a "cuckold f****. I honestly don't know what to do long term or short term. I feel like crawling under a rock and dying.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fiance (25f) and I (23m) of four years were on our way to breaKing up. I was becoming ok with it but she dumped me by Facebook tagging me in a pic of her and the guy she was cheating with. How in the world do I recover from this?

Haha :owned:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nobody but trash would think what the girlfriend did was appropriate or take her side at all, but I kind of have the feeling that guy doesn't know anyone who isn't trash

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kill...some women? :confused:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Did this one get posted before? Seems familiar but still, man

My BF (M25) won't ask for my hand, and my dad (M48) is staging a family boycott my wedding. Is my boyfriend being selfish?

oh man when the reptilians put you on their poo poo list you are hosed

Man good for her, I've done the sever thing before and its hard to stick to your guns after a while

And I have a family that doesn't pressure me that much and mostly seems to have gone "well if he's not going to talk to us we aren't going to talk to him" which honestly is ideal

I almost broke down and called my dad this year, then my mom called to talk to him about something and he hung up on her so gently caress him, we'll try again in ten more years

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Batterypowered7 posted:

One time a girl got mad at me for saying something was hella lame and my precise response was a languid jack off motion

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

One time a girl got mad at me for saying something was hella lame and my precise response was a languid jack off motion

God first you use a derogatory ableist slur and THEN you have the audacity to mock those without use of their arms or penis. Disgusting

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The police want to give me [35 M] the gun that killed my grandfather [72 M]

quote:

Today the City of Phoenix police department contacted my mother with something very unexpected. They want to return the gun that killed my grandfather, and my mom wants to pass it directly on to me. There's backstory, so strap in for my family drama.

Around six years ago, my grandparents lived together in a small home, and it was apparent that they were showing the signs of old age. My grandmother had Alzheimer's, and my grandfather was starting to show signs too. They were closely monitored by my father, who visited every other day and was in frequent phone contact. We were definitely talking about long term plans to deal with their situation.

It is important to understand that my grandparents had a rocky relationship. Twice divorced and remarried, their marriage was probably more a matter of convenience than love, but they were remarried for about 15 years. When my granny got hit hard with Alzheimer's things got weird with my grandfather. She constantly called him by her ex-boyfriend's name (Milton). Grandpa knew granny was off the deep end and the frustration in their house was palpable.

One day my dad got a call from granny saying, "You're not going to like this. Your father just shot himself." Of course my dad freaked, told her to call 911 (which didn't even occur to her), and drove over as fast as he could. When he arrived, paramedics were working on my grandfather, who had a gunshot wound to his stomach. He was lying on his bed, with the bullet buried in the mattress.

Things were a bit off, though. My granny said he shot himself, but the gun was down the hallway and around the corner. My grandmother definitely moved it. The question was, did he shoot himself, or did she shoot him?

He was a career Navy man, so he knew his way around guns. If he'd been trying to commit suicide, he'd have done it properly and wouldn't have shot himself in the gut. Accidents happen, but we all had to wonder who really pulled the trigger.
The cops on the other hand, they didn't really seem to care too much. They told my dad that only a cursory investigation would be done because my grandmother was aged and no one would ever consider prosecuting an elderly woman with Alzheimer's.

My grandfather died in the hospital a few days later. That was perhaps six years ago. The circumstances of his death are a big family mystery.

Apparently there is some limit on how long they hold evidence, because the City of Phoenix police department contacted my mother today to return the weapon. (My granny and father have since died, and my mother doesn't keep firearms in her home.) She wants to pass the gun to me.

I grew up around weapons and learned gun safety at a very young age. I have been taught to treat weapons like tools and enjoy the sport of shooting. But I have real misgivings about bringing the cursed gun that killed my grandfather into my home. On the other hand, I don't want that weapon to go out to auction or something. I don't want that gun in someone else's possession.

I'm looking for some advice here. Should I be freaked out about this inanimate object?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The gun has a ghost in it. The ghost can be your friend and give you advice about girls and stuff.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

poo poo I'll take it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

The gun has a ghost in it. The ghost can be your friend and give you advice about girls and stuff.

It'll grant you six wishes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

It'll grant you six wishes

Any revolver can do that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Take the haunted murdergun.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

As long as you have a death wish yea

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Take the haunted murdergun.

You take the haunted murdergun. It feels strangely cool in your hands.

There are exits to the north and east.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
there's probably some sick gently caress on ebay who'd pay extra for a murdergun on ebay :10bux:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

there's probably some sick gently caress on ebay who'd pay extra for a ghost gun on ebay

Mostly Japanese highschoolers, weirdly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

As long as you have a death wish yea

You can only make the wish if it involves dealth explicitly

Wishing for money? No go. Wishing to shoot a dude in a hold up and get a fat stack? Solid.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Realistic wishes are the best kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You can only make the wish if it involves dealth explicitly

Wishing for money? No go. Wishing to shoot a dude in a hold up and get a fat stack? Solid.

you hosed up the joke. you hosed it up!!