Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Nothus posted:

Democrats. :ughh:

This is actually a good thing you dunce.

Congress passing a new AUMF is a minor step, sure, but it is a minor step in the right direction of reigning in executive power to unilaterally attack other countries.

I'd they don't do this, then trump just points to the absurdly broad readings Thst have been used for a decade to excuse the ever widening middle east gently caress bucket.

I mean, sure, they could gently caress this up. But I don't really see how they could make it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Zil posted:

Well this has to be the stupidest derail yet.

It's at least more fun than yet another "bernie would have won" shitstorm.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zil posted:

Well this has to be the stupidest derail yet.

you might technically be correct because this montana motherfucker is a sign of how bad our education system gets.

VVV Lol if ITYOOL Twenty-Google-Teen your first reaction to something isn't "google it."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

3 goons at the same time: "quick, to google images!"

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Pikavangelist posted:

Lake Michigan is on the other side of the state.

gently caress. Erie. Hang on, going to have to pack my stuff since my Michigan citizenship just got revoked.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

while we are on the subject of people that east coast elitists look down on, how's the honorable former senator from alabama doing

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/867502050128613377

The thing is we loving knew this before he was confirmed because it was brought up at his goddamn confirmation hearing.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

Flapjack Monty posted:

gently caress. Erie. Hang on, going to have to pack my stuff since my Michigan citizenship just got revoked.

It's okay, we'll just pretend you were smashed on IPAs at the time.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

glowing-fish posted:

OMG...wait

Do you really, seriously, really...think you have mountains.

OMG.

Just...I don't.

Wow.

Is your thing mocking people who don't understand the geography of where you're from by being purposely obtuse about the geography of where they're from, because if so that's a really asinine and pointlessly aggressive way to make that point, we get it, most people do not live in the most rural places imaginable and therefore don't have much perspective about those places

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

Well, the coast is the area between the ocean and once you hit some sort of relief or mountains. Since there are no mountains, it is all coast.

I'm the geography expert who's never heard of Pennsylvania.

Covok posted:

I do write my congressman, phone bank for Democrats, and volunteered at soup kitchen. I also do other things. But this election taught me that a bunch of people telling me everything is alright is the wrong advice to take. Those people are always wrong and things are always worse than you expect. The bad thing will always happen and the evil guys will always win. So you got a fight as hard as possible to eke out some kind of pathetic victory. That's all that goodness will ever achieve in this universe for we live in a very uncaring place and our lives do not matter.

Nobody's loving saying "everything's going to be alright" you hysterical prick. What people are trying to do, quite well sometimes lately in here, is discuss the issues. Like functioning human beings, not Trumpian yawning maws of neediness and attention-seeking. Your nonstop meltdown is the most privileged possible reaction you could have, and all it does is tell everyone that you don't have any real problems even in this era of crisis, because if you did you'd be working on them instead of sucking your own dick and then spitting the cum all over everybody trying to voice a coherent thought in here.

What you're doing isn't "fighting," it's a big dinner boy tantruming that the world has more pressing concerns than his two-inch ego.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The thing is we loving knew this before he was confirmed because it was brought up at his goddamn confirmation hearing.

Lol

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So has quist dropped a new ad yet?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Did Sessions think he could just recuse himself and everything would be cool?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Flapjack Monty posted:

Don't worry, everybody forgets about Lake Erie or pretends it doesn't exist.

Mostly because if you ever touch it you get brain cancer immediately.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pikavangelist posted:

It's at least more fun than yet another "bernie would have won" shitstorm.

But what would have been the chances of a mountain named Bernie winning?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Flapjack Monty posted:

I wish I had the kind of crazy-rear end James Bond submarine car it would take to drive straight from Grand Rapids through Lake Michigan to New York City

You take Lake Michigan to Chicago, to get to NYC it's over to Detroit and off the side of the Ambassador Bridge.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zil posted:

it's both a rock and bernie so cross-class & cross-cultural appeal. that mountain would be president.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

Zil posted:

Well, there's apparently a Sanders Mountain Lodge in Virginia, but Clinton won that state.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

glowing-fish posted:

Well, the coast is the area between the ocean and once you hit some sort of relief or mountains. Since there are no mountains, it is all coast.

I've been reading articles about the AHCA since this morning and yet somehow this is still the dumbest thing I've seen today.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/867503609944133633
???

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You still didn't know an entire mountain range existed, you dumb gently caress. Do you seriously think there's anything you can say at this point that will make anybody believe you know what you're talking about? Just take the L.

appalachia is fake geography

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah but being mean to a fellow Senator is rude.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zil posted:

That's who will run in 2020 against a 1000-foot Trump made gargantuan by the power of the Orb

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ogmius815 posted:

No actually a new AUMF is needed and should have been done years ago.

Fine, I'll reserve judgement until the details are out. But please don't give these jackals carte blanche to start another war.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/steventdennis/status/867498951439769600

Three questions:

1. What demographic fits this description?

2. Who does this demographic generally vote for?

3. Will healthy 21 year olds making that kind of money even bother buying health insurance at all unless it's a work benefit?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I don't know how, but Chaffetz is getting dunked on by Wolf loving Blitzer of all people right now on Flynn.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Caros posted:

This is actually a good thing you dunce.

Congress passing a new AUMF is a minor step, sure, but it is a minor step in the right direction of reigning in executive power to unilaterally attack other countries.

I'd they don't do this, then trump just points to the absurdly broad readings Thst have been used for a decade to excuse the ever widening middle east gently caress bucket.

I mean, sure, they could gently caress this up. But I don't really see how they could make it worse.

It's this, passing a new, less absurdly broad AUMF has been a priority for some of the foreign affairs focused folks in the Senate for a while. The other three options are: make no change and allow this white house to make use of an AUMF that courts have interpreted to authorize waging total war against God himself, pass an even broader one (?????), or repeal all AUMFs completely, which is a stupid idea eliminating all our ability to do even the stuff everyone agrees needs to happen and wouldn't pass anything ever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know how, but Chaffetz is getting dunked on by Wolf loving Blitzer of all people right now on Flynn.

Great now I am picturing that monster scooting along on his wheeled leg brace taking a break from medical leave with a smile on his face to ditch 23 million people off insurance.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

lmao can we talk about this goddamn nonsense for a bit

like first of all the idea that a state that contains NEW YORK CITY is basically the same as one that contains loving cincinnati

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
My hometown had an existential crisis not too long ago, because it was reported that the mountain next to the town is technically a hill

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

please

no

stop

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Anything that is more than a 45 minute drive west from the Acela line is the Midwest, and anything south of Alexandria, VA is officially the South.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Low Desert Punk posted:

My hometown had an existential crisis not too long ago, because it was reported that the mountain next to the town is technically a hill

Let me guess, small town?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/867502909591826432

:allears:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Northern Ohio could be east coast if we give the western reserve back to Connecticut... :v:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Holy poo poo this Wolf Blitzer interview with Chaffetz.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

like first of all the idea that a state that contains NEW YORK CITY is basically the same as one that contains loving cincinnati

They're approximately as far apart from each other as New York City is from cities with statues celebrating confederate generals.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

Anything that is more than a 45 minute drive west from the Acela line is the Midwest, and anything south of Alexandria, VA is officially the South.

this is correct

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

This checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

business hammocks posted:

They're approximately as far apart from each other as New York City is from cities with statues celebrating confederate generals.

Yeah, Ohio is bad as hell, I agree.

• Locked thread