Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

glowing-fish posted:

I feel mean. I mean, its like telling a three year playing with a toy airplane that he isn't really a pilot.

TBF, the Appalachians are some old-rear end mountains and have been ground down to the status of "uppity hills". But they got made the same way as any other mountain range in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

who could forget the fantastic oceanfront property along the Atlantic coast of ohio

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its been a while since we've seen an "ICE is evil" story. Undocumented married mother of two had a misdemeanor for driving without a license many years ago, been here since 2008. She was picked up by ICE and scheduled for deportation based on criminal history.

The governor went "ok, gently caress you, I'll pardon her." and ICE was like "lol too late she now has a final order to deport, her criminal history no longer matters!"

https://twitter.com/elisefoley/status/867504708470034432

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

true story: boardwalk empire is actually set in ohio

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

I actually told my friends last November that I would die on the hill of Ohio being on the East Coast, I ended my relationship with several of my friends who denied that Ohio is an East Coast state.

The need of people in suburban Ohio to cosplay that they didn't live in another boring Eastern state is what sold our country out, I have no qualms about being angry at East Coast people.

The original comment I was replying to was someone saying that Montanas would be okay with someone donating to white nationalist groups. I think that person was probably an urbanite talking about suburbanites and trying to extrapolate from that.

It wasn't the small percentage of Americans living in rural areas who elected Trump, it was mostly suburbanites in a few Eastern states who did so:

https://medium.com/@mnharris/there-are-two-rural-americas-720b382bf092

I think your problem is calling them "East Coast States" - it's pretty silly to include a state 350 miles from the coast in a group defined by it's coastal nature. Just call them "Eastern States" and you'll keep more friends.

Of course, I grew up 350 miles from the coast in a coastal state, so sometimes geography is weird.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

despite that everyone knew for three weeks this was the best-case CBO score, Republicans still have no loving idea how to respond to it or any coordinated message

half of them are saying its' good for bitcoin the ahca, while half are saying its a complete lie

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lmao can we talk about this goddamn nonsense for a bit

like first of all the idea that a state that contains NEW YORK CITY is basically the same as one that contains loving cincinnati

Not to mention the fact that Ohio is flat and New York is mountainous. Despite the fact that the states are only separated by like 30 miles, they could not be more different.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

stone cold posted:

who could forget the fantastic oceanfront property along the Atlantic coast of ohio

Yeah I love Hilton Head Island too :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

:lol:

Where the gently caress do you even begin with something like this? Truly, the college aged person who is individually making $10k/year more than the median household income is a coveted demographic for healthcare reform.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

I will be updating the Russian thread. Then I am going to report myself and request a one day probation because I can't top the hilarity of people in Connecticut talking about their majestic mountains.

I feel mean. I mean, its like telling a three year playing with a toy airplane that he isn't really a pilot.

i dont think anyone really cares about the mountains as much as your completely bizarre belief about what counts as a "coast"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Asking/joking/a cry for help for the 3rd time : I'm going to lose my insurance aren't I?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
When you think about it isn't everything a coast

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lmao can we talk about this goddamn nonsense for a bit

like first of all the idea that a state that contains NEW YORK CITY is basically the same as one that contains loving cincinnati

haha I missed that

Ohio and the state containing the most ethnically diverse city in the country if not the world are very demographically similar

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I don't think I recall both the Republicans and Democrats being this utterly incompetent in the past.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rigel posted:

Its been a while since we've seen an "ICE is evil" story. Undocumented married mother of two had a misdemeanor for driving without a license many years ago, been here since 2008. She was picked up by ICE and scheduled for deportation based on criminal history.

The governor went "ok, gently caress you, I'll pardon her." and ICE was like "lol too late she now has a final order to deport, her criminal history no longer matters!"

https://twitter.com/elisefoley/status/867504708470034432

That would be an interesting case for the ACLU to defend. Does a states executive branch pardon overrule a federal judicial order?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

so is glowing fish like from Ohio or something

even Ohioans don't try to defend Ohio this hard

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PhazonLink posted:

Asking/joking/a cry for help for the 3rd time : I'm going to lose my insurance aren't I?

Maybe. But this bill is so toxic that there's a decent chance it won't pass the Senate, especially if the GOP keeps racking up losses in the house races.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

PhazonLink posted:

I'm sorry that your country let you down.

If you survive the next four years, take solace that the AHCA will be a strong loving case for single-payer.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

It ultimately depends on what ends up getting through the Senate

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

stone cold posted:

so is glowing fish like from Ohio or something

even Ohioans don't try to defend Ohio this hard

he's just really into mountains ok

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zil posted:

That would be an interesting case for the ACLU to defend. Does a states executive branch pardon overrule a federal judicial order?

The pardon absolutely does not override the removal order. But it means she's not a criminal so she shouldn't be a deportation priority, but ICE doesn't give a gently caress.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

You are a god drat idiot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

farraday posted:

Also apparently 45k population Binghamton is a city.

If it was in Montana that would be the third-biggest, I believe. A veritable metropolis!

Yeah we... have a bit of empty space. :shobon:

e; but yeah everything east of the Mississippi is an undifferentiated mass of East Coast.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

When the eastern edge of your state is over 300 miles away from the ocean, mountains no longer matter. You aren't a loving "east coast state". I'm reluctant to even let Vermont and Pennsylvania claim membership in that group.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

he's just really into mountains ok

the lovely scenery of Ohio

come for the mountains, stay for the rivers that catch fire

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nobody's loving saying "everything's going to be alright" you hysterical prick. What people are trying to do, quite well sometimes lately in here, is discuss the issues. Like functioning human beings, not Trumpian yawning maws of neediness and attention-seeking. Your nonstop meltdown is the most privileged possible reaction you could have, and all it does is tell everyone that you don't have any real problems even in this era of crisis, because if you did you'd be working on them instead of sucking your own dick and then spitting the cum all over everybody trying to voice a coherent thought in here.

What you're doing isn't "fighting," it's a big dinner boy tantruming that the world has more pressing concerns than his two-inch ego.

A cool and good post. I'd say it was long overdue,but I think have people have called him on this before and he relents for like 6hr before reverting to the same tedious asinine poo poo. Please Covok, be cool. Be a chilly penguin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i wonder if glowing fish isn't really clear on how oceans work and thinks that can stop the mighty ocean is a Real Mountain so every so often the entire atlantic floods all the way to, uh, colorado

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

If it was in Montana that would be the third-biggest, I believe. A veritable metropolis!

Yeah we... have a bit of empty space. :shobon:

e; but yeah everything east of the Mississippi is an undifferentiated mass of East Coast.

you heard it here first folks: landlocked states with no coastline are in fact coasts

suck it liebruls

:smug:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Zil posted:

But what would have been the chances of a mountain named Bernie winning?

Only if it had a mortgage.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kentucky and Indiana: the east coast

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TyrantWD posted:

Anything that is more than a 45 minute drive west from the Acela line is the Midwest, and anything south of Alexandria, VA is officially the South.

That sounds right to me. My dad grew up in this burnt out railroad town up in the Allegheny mountains in central PA and likes to claim that it's still the northeast. But I lived there for five years and I know it's the Midwest.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

man POST. THE. MAP. has gotten really weird here

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tiny Brontosaurus is right, shut up Covok, also please God just a FEW Republican senators need to grow spines.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

stone cold posted:

you heard it here first folks: landlocked states with no coastline are in fact coasts

suck it liebruls

:smug:

not our problem you live in bad states.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

i wonder if glowing fish isn't really clear on how oceans work and thinks that can stop the mighty ocean is a Real Mountain so every so often the entire atlantic floods all the way to, uh, colorado

Oh God, I'm in iowa. I'm going to drown someday, aren't I? :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The meanings of the words "mountain" and "coast" have been rewritten by the mighty forums posters from Montana! So it is written.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Who the gently caress cares about which states have watery bits and mountainy bits

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

the appalachian mountains are a thing bro

glowing-fish posted:

They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

new york has the appalachians and the adirondacks. the highest point in new york state is a little over a mile above sea level

evilweasel posted:

he keeps posting his lovely medium article about rural america which is based on FDA definitions of ruralness and not the us census bureau so no, he's not very well educated

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

A cool and good post. I'd say it was long overdue,but I think have people have called him on this before and he relents for like 6hr before reverting to the same tedious asinine poo poo. Please Covok, be cool. Be a chilly penguin.

I usually mix up my bad posters but isn't covok not in the US and perhaps not even a US citizen? I recall him or someone like him making some argument about "having family in the US" and how that justified his lovely posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Paradoxish posted:

:lol:

Where the gently caress do you even begin with something like this? Truly, the college aged person who is individually making $10k/year more than the median household income is a coveted demographic for healthcare reform.

I'm pretty sure you're both in agreement.

• Locked thread