Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013

stone cold posted:

so is glowing fish like from Ohio or something

even Ohioans don't try to defend Ohio this hard

No. He went to Toledo once and so he thinks that Ohio is one giant suburban mall with every service available to a person in NYC available within a 30 minute drive.

Also he thinks Grand Rapids to NYC is a short drive.

I get it, I lived in Wyoming and it makes you think about distance differently. You'd drive 100 miles without thinking about it to get to the next town because there is nothing in between. But it's not like that anywhere in the east (or the west coast for that matter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Montana confirmed as an east coast state.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Triskelli posted:

Yeah I love Hilton Head Island too :v:

Well done.

Never could really figure out why Ohioans loved HHI so much.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

not our problem you live in bad states.

i live in a state with an actual ocean

also lmao that you think tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana are "the east coast"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pander posted:

man POST. THE. MAP. has gotten really weird here

pretty crazy how gary johnson and jill stein are each winning half of the great plains states

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I'm going to agree with the general point that the eastern third of the country is extremely different both in terms of population density and attitudes to the western half of the country. Whether you call the eastern third of the country the "east coast" or not is pretty irrelevant. You've all seen the population density map so I don't see why this is such a radical concept except that you want to argue pedantry about 'coast' and 'mountain'.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Asking/joking/a cry for help for the 3rd time : I'm going to lose my insurance aren't I?

It's still not looking so great for the AHCA - everything we've heard from the Senate rework makes it sound worse than the current AHCA, which already barely passed the House. The short term premium increases + predicted market explosion + pre-existing conditions + likely reduction in Employer-sponsored plans (which sadly the CBO didn't touch) all give the Democrats and sane Republicans plenty of fodder to continue turning public opinion. Making the Republicans own the current obamacare funding and market crises will be slightly tougher, but is unlikely to sway any Democrats at least.

Basically, AHCA is really, really unpopular and the CBO, while ignoring some important issues, is at least not going to make it more popular.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

hanales posted:

No. He went to Toledo once and so he thinks that Ohio is one giant suburban mall with every service available to a person in NYC available within a 30 minute drive.

Also he thinks Grand Rapids to NYC is a short drive.

I get it, I lived in Wyoming and it makes you think about distance differently. You'd drive 100 miles without thinking about it to get to the next town because there is nothing in between. But it's not like that anywhere in the east (or the west coast for that matter).

what a grim tale

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

stone cold posted:

so is glowing fish like from Ohio or something

even Ohioans don't try to defend Ohio this hard

I currently live in Santiago de Chile.

A few weeks ago there was a seismic event that was between 6.9 and 7.1 on the richter scale. Afterwards I would talk about "the earthquake" and the people would look at me confused because there wasn't an earthquake, only a "Temblor".

The world is bigger and more diverse and people have different interests and experiences. One of the worst things about Trump is that he has collapsed the United States dialog into the difference between New York City and Toledo. But the people in the East really have no idea that there is a larger world than the world between NYC and exurban Indiana. To them, it is a gigantic difference. To the rest of us, all those areas are basically the same: no good burritos, and cannabis is illegal.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Mister Adequate posted:

If it was in Montana that would be the third-biggest, I believe. A veritable metropolis!

Yeah we... have a bit of empty space. :shobon:

e; but yeah everything east of the Mississippi is an undifferentiated mass of East Coast.

Truly a thriving industrial center!

So Sasse was on fox news justnow talking about how the House bill was doa in the Senate and they're writing their own bill. Fair enough, but he was hyping the importance of healthcare that followed you through job changes and moves.

No faith at all in Sasse but if I'm correct he isn't on the list of Republican Senators putting together the bill right? It seems to me like the Republicans in the Senate are pushing to swap the order and deal with tax "reform" next and not healthcare.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mountains.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

A few weeks ago there was a seismic event that was between 6.9 and 7.1 on the richter scale. Afterwards I would talk about "the earthquake" and the people would look at me confused because there wasn't an earthquake, only a "Temblor".

The world is bigger and more diverse and people have different interests and experiences. One of the worst things about Trump is that he has collapsed the United States dialog into the difference between New York City and Toledo. But the people in the East really have no idea that there is a larger world than the world between NYC and exurban Indiana. To them, it is a gigantic difference. To the rest of us, all those areas are basically the same: no good burritos, and cannabis is illegal.

when u think about it, gary indiana is basically the same as boston

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Huge, if true

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

haha I missed that

Ohio and the state containing the most ethnically diverse city in the country if not the world are very demographically similar

Most ethnically diverse city is houston, actually. Sorry bro.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Family Values posted:

I'm going to agree with the general point that the eastern third of the country is extremely different both in terms of population density and attitudes to the western half of the country. Whether you call the eastern third of the country the "east coast" or not is pretty irrelevant. You've all seen the population density map so I don't see why this is such a radical concept except that you want to argue pedantry about 'coast' and 'mountain'.

Talking about culture in the US tends to get extremely weird anyway. Most of the US is more culturally similar than a lot of people want to admit, and at the same time real cultural differences manifest over areas that are a lot smaller than entire coasts.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

stone cold posted:

i live in a state with an actual ocean

also lmao that you think tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana are "the east coast"

nah i just think it's really funny when people get mad as gently caress about their states.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Family Values posted:

it's pretty funny to poke at the goon who struggles with american geography and who claims the appalachian mountains aren't mountains. goons doubling down on their own stupidity is what makes this forum keep lurching forwards

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

pretty crazy how gary johnson and jill stein are each winning half of the great plains states

hillary won the oceans though so that's 75% of the world right there.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Maybe. But this bill is so toxic that there's a decent chance it won't pass the Senate, especially if the GOP keeps racking up losses in the house races.

That what you said before with the house.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

nah i just think it's really funny when people get mad as gently caress about their states.

this isn't about getting mad about states this is about you and glowing fish or w/e the handle is literally not comprehending the idea of what an ocean is

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This really is an amazing graph. The only reason why the black and blue line didn't hit near-zero is because of lovely red states who didn't want to accept the black president's health care. They'd rather die early with their southern pride.

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/867488736602411008

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

like how do you get to be an adult and not comprehend the concepts of coast and ocean

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Usually it's dumb shits from the east coast that think everything twenty miles inland from the coasts is the Midwest.

How in the gently caress did I learn the basic geography of the country when I went to school in Wyoming?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rigel posted:

This really is an amazing graph. The only reason why the black and blue line didn't hit near-zero is because of lovely red states who didn't want to accept the black president's health care. They'd rather die early with their southern pride.

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/867488736602411008

Let them.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Most ethnically diverse city is houston, actually. Sorry bro.

It's true (according to a report from Houston :v: )

but really, it is very diverse

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

glowing-fish posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress are you talking about

Do you honestly believe people in one of the most diverse cities in the world have no more concept of a global population than people in Pissbucket, Indiana?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's funny is there actually is an invisible coastline that's relevant to this thread:

How Presidential Elections are Impacted by a 100-Million-Year-Old Coastline

PhazonLink posted:

That what you said before with the house.

Not me, boss.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

glowing-fish posted:

Dude just gently caress right off, I can get a good burrito from three different places within five loving minutes of where I live

And no, it's not Chipotle or Dos Toros or whatever the gently caress

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

:lol:

Where the gently caress do you even begin with something like this? Truly, the college aged person who is individually making $10k/year more than the median household income is a coveted demographic for healthcare reform.

It's been said before, but it's because this bill has absolutely nothing to do with healthcare reform and everything to do with making the well-off and comfortable even more so.

If the AHCA was actually a bill about improving access to affordable healthcare and its authors found out that it only really helps people who could easily afford health care and don't even need it (while butchering the poor and sick) they would have thrown it out and started over.

Tax cuts for people with too much money, and cheaper health care for young people who don't use it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

what about underwater mountains

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Star Man posted:

Usually it's dumb shits from the east coast that think everything twenty miles inland from the coasts is the Midwest.

How in the gently caress did I learn the basic geography of the country when I went to school in Wyoming?

you know what state really embodies east coast culture to me:

wisconsin

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

The world is bigger and more diverse and people have different interests and experiences. One of the worst things about Trump is that he has collapsed the United States dialog into the difference between New York City and Toledo But the people in the East really have no idea that there is a larger world than the world between NYC and exurban Indiana . To them, it is a gigantic difference. To the rest of us, all those areas are basically the same: no good burritos, and cannabis is illegal.

Lol. If you wanted to be clever about it, you'd say that Toledo is part of southern Michigan.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mountains of leaks :eyepop:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Are preexisting conditions still covered?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Uh

Isn't temblor is Spanish for earthquake?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Sorry to interrupt state-cultural difference chat but there's some Trump admin news. Apparently Sessions didn't disclose meetings with the Russians on his security clearance form:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politics/jeff-sessions-russian-officials-meetings/index.html

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

stone cold posted:

you know what state really embodies east coast culture to me:

wisconsin

Really sick of those east coast elitists yelling "Go Pack Go!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nothus posted:

Lol. If you wanted to be clever about it, you'd say that Toledo is part of southern Michigan.

It is.

gently caress you Andrew Jackson, you genocidal Toledo-stealing piece of poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excuse me that is clearly a molehill.

Zil posted:

That would be an interesting case for the ACLU to defend. Does a states executive branch pardon overrule a federal judicial order?

States can't pardon federal matters just like POTUS can't pardon state level crimes.

The real answer is ICE is going to do literally anything it wants and there is nothing you can do to stop them because they'll just ignore court orders until someone's out of the country and at that point whoops oh well gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
This sure was a great time for the Washington Examiner to write a fawning profile of Paul Ryan:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SalenaZito/status/867509516228632577

"Kill Them With Kindness" :lol:

• Locked thread