Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Liz hosed up and let it slip that she has kids to Tuan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I caught that but it may not matter? If Tuan gets linked to Pasha's suicide (or attempted suicide), the Jennings cover is blown and Tuan would have to be disappeared anyway.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Paige flinging that rope/punching bag over the girder as the Pasha suicide story was going on has me a little worried about how the next episode might go down.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat, Tuan doesn't gently caress around, he's The American's Todd. What dedication.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hey mom, what were the camps like? :ohdear:

At least now he'll know to get acquainted with the camp doctor.

phosdex posted:

Yeah or that. I was thinking previously they were going to have him defect.

Also lmao at that shakedown on Stan and adderholt.
That was amazing, I loved the WTF look on their faces throughout the scene even as they pretended to be very happy for them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So what's the deal with the hockey playing fiance guy? Is he just naive or working with the Russians or are we not supposed to know yet?

I used to work for a professional hockey team and the players were dumb as gently caress.

Also this is my fav show on tv right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So what's the deal with the hockey playing fiance guy? Is he just naive or working with the Russians or are we not supposed to know yet?

Beeman and Aderholt dont know what to make of him, and I dont think the audience knows anything they dont.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No idea, I had the same look on my face as Stan. But in the debrief they seemed to think that he might be working for the KGB, although that's an extremely bizarre way to go about that. Maybe he's just a dumbass.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because Tuan acts the way she *wishes* Paige would act. Loyal, dedicated, zealot-like, and ~too eager to please~.

And now she's going to find out what happens when that goes too far.
I thought in the previous scene that Liz was clearly saying that they should drop the "bully till they go back" strategy.

howe_sam posted:

Did we know Phillip has a brother?
Was that his brother or son that was killed in Afghanistan? I really don't remember a brother being ever mentioned explicitly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mobby_6kl posted:

Was that his brother or son that was killed in Afghanistan? I really don't remember a brother being ever mentioned explicitly.

Oleg's brother died in Afghanistan, Mischa fought in Afghanistan but obviously didn't die.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I used to work for a professional hockey team and the players were dumb as gently caress.

Also this is my fav show on tv right now.

Yeah it's unclear for now but I don't think naive would be the right term for that guy. Bit of intentional wordplay there when Stan mentioned the Quantico class on dangles.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Episode was real good. I'm glad this show has had such a strong plot for 5 seasons. So many shows obviously have a perfect 3-season plot, and then go to contrived episode of the week poo poo after that.

I bet Pasha's dead, and both E+P eventually decide to defect. Mark it dude.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Jordache jeans and a Knight Rider shirt. Maximum 80s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tuan you are hardcore as gently caress

I would 100% watch a spinoff series starring Oleg learning about how lovely Russia is.

Yeah, it's a big but cool surprise that Oleg has #1 Soviet Dad. :3:

Also, I'm like 99% certain that supermarket set is the same one they used in The Handmaid's Tale.

Edit: was the soccer player Matthew Lillard?

precision fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 25, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

precision posted:

Edit: was the soccer player Matthew Lillard?

Not unless he's aged *very* badly.

No, it isn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Did you see him in Twin Peaks? He looked VERY similar to that dude

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Episode was real good. I'm glad this show has had such a strong plot for 5 seasons. So many shows obviously have a perfect 3-season plot, and then go to contrived episode of the week poo poo after that.

I was a bit worried this might be like Justified Season 5, which was easily the worst in that they spent a lot of it setting up for the run to the finish with lame villains and a lame Ava in Oz subplot. Fortunately, this S5 has been good.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

precision posted:

Yeah, it's a big but cool surprise that Oleg has #1 Soviet Dad. :3:

Also, I'm like 99% certain that supermarket set is the same one they used in The Handmaid's Tale.

I doubt it, they film The Handmaid's Tale in the Toronto area and the Americans is filmed around NYC.

Does anyone know what year we're up to in the show? I was guessing 86ish but I could totally be wrong.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's hard to tell what year it is for sure. I believe it's late '84 or early '85 judging by the weather.

Last season ended in feb'84 (superbowl and olympics were mentioned). Then we had the summer season for the wheat.

Chernobyl meltdown was April '86 and I would think it would have been mentioned at least in passing if we were past that point.

Another thing is Henry applying for that school. Likely trying to get into the fall term.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 25, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

banned from Starbucks posted:

paige is gonna hang herself with the punching bag rope
Definitely some Chekov's Convenient Noose stuff going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought she was about to kill herself. I'm glad Phillip is thinking about how the kids would be in Russia. I don't think Henry would be able to handle it. From how it sounds, they'd bring him to Russia and say "surprise, you're Russian now and you're stuck here." That would destroy him. Especially after befriending Stan and learning about what he does at the FBI.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought she was about to kill herself. I'm glad Phillip is thinking about how the kids would be in Russia. I don't think Henry would be able to handle it. From how it sounds, they'd bring him to Russia and say "surprise, you're Russian now and you're stuck here." That would destroy him. Especially after befriending Stan and learning about what he does at the FBI.

"I WAS *THIS CLOSE* TO TOUCHING MY FIRST BOOB!"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Do not fret, Henry Mikialovich. KGB will supply many boobs for the touching of young genius math prodigy.

I think Paige is getting seriously seduced into the spy game. It makes her feel powerful and in control. She sees the KGB building legends, Mom kill some fools, the parents getting Pastor Tim sent away with little or no effort, all the stories about how they're doing cool stuff for the benefit of all mankind, and she digs it.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 25, 2017

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

phosdex posted:

It's hard to tell what year it is for sure. I believe it's late '84 or early '85 judging by the weather.

Last season ended in feb'84 (superbowl and olympics were mentioned). Then we had the summer season for the wheat.

Chernobyl meltdown was April '86 and I would think it would have been mentioned at least in passing if we were past that point.

Another thing is Henry applying for that school. Likely trying to get into the fall term.

Ooooh, good point about Chernobyl.

My theory was always that the show would end with the fall of the Berlin Wall, but these days I'm guessing they'll finish up the story before the end of the Cold War.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

I think Paige is getting seriously seduced into the spy game. It makes her feel powerful and in control. She sees the KGB building legends, Mom kill some fools, the parents getting Pastor Tim sent away with little or no effort, all the stories about how they're doing cool stuff for the benefit of all mankind, and she digs it.

boy is she gonna be in for a huge disappointment in a few years

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TheCenturion posted:

I could see this, but at the same time she seems increasingly despondent over lies she has to maintain. It really feels like a toss-up on whether we're gonna see a mother-daughter bonding moment or a suicide attempt next week.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

And just as Paige is coming on board, that's gotta be confusing for her.

TheCenturion posted:

Do not fret, Henry Mikialovich. KGB will supply man boobs for the touching of young genius math prodigy.

In Russia, boob touches YOU.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

boy is she gonna be in for a huge disappointment in a few years

How well known was it back then that the KGB was into all kinds of awful poo poo? I can't imagine trying to tell a modern teenager that you're the good kind of spies that only ever steal bread to feed your starving country. I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a lot of dissonance on that point for Paige, that in the back of her head, she kinda knows that her parents are still lying to her about how they're just good people doing good work for humanity.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well its not like Marthas up to much right now.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I dunno. I mean, they already did the 'child of illegals becomes more zealous than parents' storyline, but Paige is getting into it. I wonder if they'll go the other way; Paige tries to do something spy-like to please her parents, gets caught and charged with something. Now P&E are kinda hosed.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Baronash posted:

I could see this, but at the same time she seems increasingly despondent over lies she has to maintain. It really feels like a toss-up on whether we're gonna see a mother-daughter bonding moment or a suicide attempt next week.

A suicide attempt really doesn't feel earned at this point. I mean the whole season was about her coming to terms with what her parents do and we do see that things improved for her (even if its in kind of a weird way). You could have gone down the suicide road if things with her boyfriend had escalated or someone was about to expose her and her parents but now? Na, won't happen and it would be weird to have two suicide attempts in the same episode. What is more likely is that the suicide attempt of the russian boy is used to create some sort of connection in the mind of Liz to her own daughter and turn her on the whole "back to russia" idea.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Suddenly I feel like they're really contrasting Henry and Paige. Henry is really setting down roots, he has lots of reasons to stay in the US, he's becoming his own person and gaining distance from his parents, the way kids are supposed to. Paige, on the other hand, isn't. She's growing away from her local ties; no more boyfriend, no more church obligations, and actively growing towards the possibility of becoming a second-generation spy, despite P&E's desire to keep her out of it.

I half expect that the final scene of the season will be Paige standing around somewhere, waiting for a ride or something, and up rolls Claudia. "Hello, Paige. I work with your parents, on their "special career." I hear you're interested in learning about this?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Suddenly I feel like they're really contrasting Henry and Paige. Henry is really setting down roots, he has lots of reasons to stay in the US, he's becoming his own person and gaining distance from his parents, the way kids are supposed to. Paige, on the other hand, isn't. She's growing away from her local ties; no more boyfriend, no more church obligations, and actively growing towards the possibility of becoming a second-generation spy, despite P&E's desire to keep her out of it.

I half expect that the final scene of the season will be Paige standing around somewhere, waiting for a ride or something, and up rolls Claudia. "Hello, Paige. I work with your parents, on their "special career." I hear you're interested in learning about this?"

*Philip* wants to keep her out of it, and that feeling is only getting stronger since Gabriel agreed with him. Liz is all "SHE MUST SERVE THE CAUSE AS I DO FOR THE POWERS THAT BE HAVE DECREED IT."

I really think Liz is a true sociopath, and it's only bolstered by the fact that Philip has a social support network in the States outside of "The Center" while she's had nothing for herself since Gregory committed suicide-by-cop. There is nothing she cannot justify as being 'worth it.' She's even elected to be the sole wearer of the "killing pants" in their dynamic now.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

*Philip* wants to keep her out of it, and that feeling is only getting stronger since Gabriel agreed with him. Liz is all "SHE MUST SERVE THE CAUSE AS I DO FOR THE POWERS THAT BE HAVE DECREED IT."

I really think Liz is a true sociopath, and it's only bolstered by the fact that Philip has a social support network in the States outside of "The Center" while she's had nothing for herself since Gregory committed suicide-by-cop. There is nothing she cannot justify as being 'worth it.' She's even elected to be the sole wearer of the "killing pants" in their dynamic now.

I don't think she's a full on sociopath (she clearly genuinely loves Philip, Paige, and Henry), but she is a super hosed person and crazy militant for the cause.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
She's a zealot, and she's built her core identity around being a deep cover spy, but they'd have screened her out if she was a sociopath.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I find it hard to buy at this stage of the game that Philip is really on board with going back home. Claudia gave them an honest opinion on how the kids would take it and reading between the lines she didn't really make it sound like an awesome fun time. Granted, she doesn't want to lose her best operatives but her words were smart and well chosen. Is defecting really not an option?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I think Elizabeth is way closer to the edge than it seems. Obviously her loyalties and job are her identity, but she's coming to terms with the fact that they are actually bad. She's doing the 'yeah totally this is a great idea! Let's go back to Russia! I'm really sure of it! Also I totally felt really fine about killing that lady!' thing because she isn't at all fine.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tuan got the idea from Elizabeth. She accidentally said she had kids and it is good to have kids but very hard in their line of work. That tipped him off, bring actual harm for Pasha and the parents would freak out.

I liked how loving brutal Elizabeth was with Paige regarding the crucifix. You almost expect her to say it is alright, you can keep wearing it if you want. Nope, no comforting mother, you've got a job to do. Wear it.

phosdex posted:

That reminded me that right around now the us is secretly selling arms to Iran to fund the contras.
That was the big subplot of season 2. Oliver North was a guest writer for that one episode where they infiltrate the contra training base and kill a bunch of people and even Elizabeth is kind of "whoa, that could have been avoided"

Actually, reading the wiki summery so much poo poo happens in that episode. Paige goes full church and donates all her savings, Phillip meets Pastor Tim and tells him to stay the hell away from Paige. Stan finds out his wife wants an affair with the dude from EST and Phillip turns Martha against the FBI by playing the doctored tape recording to her and Elizabeth starts working her Northrop employee source for the stealth aircraft information.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 27, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I think Elizabeth is way closer to the edge than it seems. Obviously her loyalties and job are her identity, but she's coming to terms with the fact that they are actually bad. She's doing the 'yeah totally this is a great idea! Let's go back to Russia! I'm really sure of it! Also I totally felt really fine about killing that lady!' thing because she isn't at all fine.

Same with the scene where she talks to a therapist. She does an exaggerated eyeroll when she walks out but I think that was to convince herself that it was all a bunch of hooey when she clearly needed to talk to somebody about poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

drunkill posted:

That was the big subplot of season 2. Oliver North was a guest writer for that one episode where they infiltrate the contra training base and kill a bunch of people and even Elizabeth is kind of "whoa, that could have been avoided"

Season 2 was the stealth stuff wasn't it? The Iran-Contra affair I was referring to began in 1985 and didn't involve training Contras.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hatelull posted:

I find it hard to buy at this stage of the game that Philip is really on board with going back home. Claudia gave them an honest opinion on how the kids would take it and reading between the lines she didn't really make it sound like an awesome fun time. Granted, she doesn't want to lose her best operatives but her words were smart and well chosen. Is defecting really not an option?

this is why i'm bummed that the show's timeline is limited to the mid-80s

philip obviously realizes that life in the us is way better for the kids than it would be back home, and in less than a decade elizabeth won't have a country to go back to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Something massive is happening tonight. There's no way it isn't. We haven't had an entire season of absolutely nothing happening for them not to drop a major bombshell tonight.

• Locked thread