Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

photomikey posted:

and checked baggage is free.

The problem is that this is so rarely the case nowadays that I think a lot of people just carry-on by default. Most companies in Europe at least now charge for checked luggage on all "local" flights (within Europe / Mediterranean). It's not just LCCs either, even Swiss doesn't give you a single free checked bag, nor does Air Malta, nor does Alitalia, or AirBerlin, nor do etc many other major carriers, if you buy the lowest ticket class. You have to carry on or pay €30 or whatever. Yeah you could pay 1.5x the ticket cost and get your checked bag included in "Economy Plus", but then you're paying 1.5x the ticket price for a bunch of nonsense you don't care about like priority seating.

Anyway I always travel with a 33L backpack now and it's way more convenient than a rolling suitcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

photomikey posted:

Overhead bins, IMHO, are meant to hold a few choice essentials that you can't live without for an hour or two while you fly. Laptop, medication, newspaper, overcoat, etc.

I see people roll TWO overstuffed drag-along bags into the overhead bin. And not the "I have to get to a meeting the moment I land" people, either. 80 year old Grandmas. Families with kids. WTF? Do these people know you can literally hand your luggage to a man at the curb and get it back almost at the curb of the airport you're traveling to? It's effortless. I know some (many) airlines charge for it, but I fly Southwest and they're the WORST with people bringing on 50lb carryons they can't lift above their heads, and checked baggage is free.

Seriously. WTF.

They're not interested in waiting for a baggage carousel for some indeterminate amount of time? Is it really that complicated? I can pack for about a week or so in a reasonably sized carryon, and have no desire to remain in the airport unnecessarily after landing. I am not going to check that bag.

And I don't think any airline allows multiple carryons in steerage? The people you see rolling two bags might be helping someone else with theirs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And I don't think any airline allows multiple carryons in steerage? The people you see rolling two bags might be helping someone else with theirs.

Technically no, you are allowed a "carryon" and a "personal item", but lol if you don't carry both a giant carryon bursting at the seem and a giant fuckoff duffel bag. I do it often and airlines don't care that you essentially have 2 carry-ons. Although I do store the duffel bag under my seat with some smushing so it's not the same as actually taking up 2 overhead spaces. I suppose they might raise an eyebrow if you had 2 clearly oversized rolling carryon suitcases. Just like they don't care or check that you're hopping in Group 4 to get actual overhead space above your drat seat instead of being Group 6 and putting it in the back.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm going to Yellowstone (SLC airport) from the NYC area with my wife in a few months - August 19th to 27th. We need a morning flight on the 19th so we have time to drive the 6+ hours to the hotel after landing, and for the same reason need an afternoon flight on the 27th. (Alternatively, we could fly into one of the several smaller airports that are much closer to Yellowstone, but they seem to cost a lot more.) I looked for flights a couple months ago and the options seemed very limited and expensive, and it seems to have only gotten worse since then. Do you guys see any good options for this trip, or do you think any might become available soon, or should I just take whatever I can find while it's available?

Also, I signed up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve earlier this year and thus have around 115,000 points. I know very little about getting the most out of them. We're probably going to Australia next year and I figure that would be a good time to use them, but if this trip to Yellowstone would also be a really good use of them then please let me know.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheEye posted:

I'm going to Yellowstone (SLC airport) from the NYC area with my wife in a few months - August 19th to 27th. We need a morning flight on the 19th so we have time to drive the 6+ hours to the hotel after landing, and for the same reason need an afternoon flight on the 27th. (Alternatively, we could fly into one of the several smaller airports that are much closer to Yellowstone, but they seem to cost a lot more.) I looked for flights a couple months ago and the options seemed very limited and expensive, and it seems to have only gotten worse since then. Do you guys see any good options for this trip, or do you think any might become available soon, or should I just take whatever I can find while it's available?

Also, I signed up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve earlier this year and thus have around 115,000 points. I know very little about getting the most out of them. We're probably going to Australia next year and I figure that would be a good time to use them, but if this trip to Yellowstone would also be a really good use of them then please let me know.

RIght now, best I see is $494, EWR-SCL leaving early in the morning and a return that puts you back into EWR at 2AM on Monday the 28th. It's doable, but I wouldn't want to have to work on the 28th. I also checked award seats to Jackson Hole and Idaho Falls on United (you can transfer your Chase points to United 1:1) but there's currently no award space available.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Mackieman posted:

RIght now, best I see is $494, EWR-SCL leaving early in the morning and a return that puts you back into EWR at 2AM on Monday the 28th. It's doable, but I wouldn't want to have to work on the 28th. I also checked award seats to Jackson Hole and Idaho Falls on United (you can transfer your Chase points to United 1:1) but there's currently no award space available.

Yeah, that's what I was seeing too, and yes we're working on Monday. Might just have to do it regardless...

I guess we need to finalize our Australia trip next spring as soon as we can just to make sure we can use all those points.

Thanks for checking.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheEye posted:

Yeah, that's what I was seeing too, and yes we're working on Monday. Might just have to do it regardless...

I guess we need to finalize our Australia trip next spring as soon as we can just to make sure we can use all those points.

Thanks for checking.

For what it's worth, 115K Chase points is not going to get you two coach tickets to Australia from the US. United is going to want 80K miles round trip on a saver award per person.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I alluded to this in my question in the Travel Links and Resources thread (thanks for the answer there, Mackieman!), just want some pricing advice to see if my instinct is wise or dumb.

I need to fly from Korea (any airport in Korea, though ICN is usually cheapest... though occasionally flights out of PUS can be cheaper) to Washington DC (IAD or DCA preferred but BWI's doable for the right price). My departure should be July 29th of this year, and that's inflexible. I should fly back around August 10th, but I have like one or two days wiggle room there.

I'm flying with one other person who is not a US citizen (whereas I'm a citizen), and going through US immigration can be a huge pain in the rear end. She had a bad experience at JFK, including a missed connecting flight, last year so any flight arriving into the US from abroad should have a long connecting time to not unduly stress her out.

Anyway, I found a United flight, ICN to IAD with a 2h 45m layover in SFO going in and a layover in NRT coming back, for $1,623 USD per person (after all the fees, etc). My instinct is to wait about a week and see if the price goes down a bit, because IIRC I've usually gotten tickets a couple hundred bucks less apiece around this time.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TheEye posted:

Did you look at any of the three SF airports? It should be closer than SLC as well.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

asur posted:

Did you look at any of the three SF airports? It should be closer than SLC as well.

:confused:

Are you thinking of Yosemite?

Mackieman posted:

For what it's worth, 115K Chase points is not going to get you two coach tickets to Australia from the US. United is going to want 80K miles round trip on a saver award per person.

Ah... could I use 120k for three one way tickets and buy the remaining one? Otherwise maybe hotels over there.

I also recall that Reserve holders get a 50% point bonus for booking through the Chase site, but I guess that's generally worse than transferring to the airline. I suppose before long I'll have to figure out all the math for my particular case.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So I'm flying YVR -> SFO -> AKL and then doing the reverse in a few months. How lovely are international transfers at SFO? It was that and LAX so I figured it can't possibly be as bad as that haha.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

SFO is less terrible than LAX.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheEye posted:

Ah... could I use 120k for three one way tickets and buy the remaining one? Otherwise maybe hotels over there.

I also recall that Reserve holders get a 50% point bonus for booking through the Chase site, but I guess that's generally worse than transferring to the airline. I suppose before long I'll have to figure out all the math for my particular case.

You could, but international one-way tickets usually price out at the full Y fare (read: very expensive). I somehow doubt that strategy would work in your favor.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

HookShot posted:

So I'm flying YVR -> SFO -> AKL and then doing the reverse in a few months. How lovely are international transfers at SFO? It was that and LAX so I figured it can't possibly be as bad as that haha.

SFO is fine as long as there isn't runway construction (again this weekend) or lovely weather, SFO is fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sweet, thanks! I figured there was no way it could possibly be as bad as LAX so I took the gamble, glad it will hopefully pay off.

LAX also lost my skis last time I travelled. This time I'm going to have three pairs instead of just two, so here's hoping all my stuff makes it to New Zealand.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Looking to fly from AMS to the Pacific Northwest in July and back. Either PDX or SEA would work, but I would prefer to fly into PDX and out from SEA, if possible (but again it's not a big deal). Date wise, I'd like to arrive there around 7/14 +/- a couple of days. Return wise it doesn't matter as long as it's after 7/23.

Kayak is showing around ~$1400 right now. Is there a way I could do better than that? Been searching Kayak and Google Flights if it makes a difference. I also have approximately 65k Chase UR Points as well so I've been checking awardhacker.com as someone in the credit card thread recommended. That one doesn't seem useful though because it only tells me "yes there is a flight, at some point, between these two places that you can spend miles on" but when I search the actual airlines it doesn't have them available.

e: I would also be open to just flying the cheapest $$ route into the US from AMS, and then blasting through my Chase UR to get from wherever I land to PDX/SEA. I just don't know a easy way to search for that and I don't know what are considered cheap routes from AMS to the US.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Looking to fly from AMS to the Pacific Northwest in July and back. Either PDX or SEA would work, but I would prefer to fly into PDX and out from SEA, if possible (but again it's not a big deal). Date wise, I'd like to arrive there around 7/14 +/- a couple of days. Return wise it doesn't matter as long as it's after 7/23.

Kayak is showing around ~$1400 right now. Is there a way I could do better than that? Been searching Kayak and Google Flights if it makes a difference. I also have approximately 65k Chase UR Points as well so I've been checking awardhacker.com as someone in the credit card thread recommended. That one doesn't seem useful though because it only tells me "yes there is a flight, at some point, between these two places that you can spend miles on" but when I search the actual airlines it doesn't have them available.

e: I would also be open to just flying the cheapest $$ route into the US from AMS, and then blasting through my Chase UR to get from wherever I land to PDX/SEA. I just don't know a easy way to search for that and I don't know what are considered cheap routes from AMS to the US.

You're traveling during peak season so flights are generally not that cheap. One thing you could look at is a flight from AMS to the East Coast or Chicago and then book an award seat (assuming any are available) using Chase points transferred to United to get to PDX/SEA and back.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 1, 2017

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
So for that Yellowstone trip we found a flight to Billings, MT for the same cost as SLC and half the driving distance. Apparently that's a place! With an airport! The flight times are really going to suck but at least we can drive the Beartooth Highway both directions.

Mackieman posted:

You could, but international one-way tickets usually price out at the full Y fare (read: very expensive). I somehow doubt that strategy would work in your favor.

Alright, I could apply for a couple more credit cards to get enough points for round trip maybe...

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 5, 2017

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Good afternoon everyone,
I'm going to be flying from New York, NY, United States (NYC) to Orlando, FL (MCO) on August 20, 2017 and returning August 27, 2017.
I could handle leaving the 19th probably but I need to be in Orlando by around 6-7 PM since my friend wants to do dinner reservations around 9 PM that day.
Returning on the 27th is whenever.

Seriously considering just renting a car and driving down with a friend looking at these $300 flights.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Lucca Blight posted:

Good afternoon everyone,
I'm going to be flying from New York, NY, United States (NYC) to Orlando, FL (MCO) on August 20, 2017 and returning August 27, 2017.
I could handle leaving the 19th probably but I need to be in Orlando by around 6-7 PM since my friend wants to do dinner reservations around 9 PM that day.

Seriously considering just renting a car and driving down with a friend looking at these $300 flights.

Um, me thinks your expectations may not be in line with reality. $300 round trip is in the ballpark for those sorts of flights in the summer.

In any event, I see $255 on your dates for EWR-MCO round trip. poo poo times, but better can be had for another $30 or so. There is no conceivable scenario that I can identify in which driving makes sense.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I fly a ton of domestic, and a ton to florida. In general, baseline pricing is like $150 o/w or $300 R/T for a flight. I think if you're seeing things in the $250-$350 range, that is just what they are and not likely to change a lot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm more curious as to how you think renting a car for a week and paying the gas on it is going to come out to under $300, let alone far enough under $300 to make it worth driving like 15 hours or whatever.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol driving for two days to save $50

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
If you want a miserable time to save a couple hundred bucks, can't you still take those Chinatown buses? or did they get shut down because the drivers were all stabbing each other and meth addicts without commercial licenses?

Yeah even counting you and your friend ($600) renting a car will still be approximately the same price for a week + all that gas. Also the awful drive.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Lucca Blight posted:

Good afternoon everyone,

So you need to be on the 20th for dinner reservations. But are flexible enough to drive down the entire east coast? Make some sense, boy.

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=US#search;f=JFK,EWR,LGA;t=TPA;d=2017-08-20;r=2017-09-01;tt=o;sel=EWRFLL0NK525-FLLTPA0NK615

$78

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=US#search;f=MCO;t=JFK,EWR,LGA;d=2017-08-28;r=2017-09-01;tt=o

$84

Flying to into Tampa but out of Orlando will save you $50 each. Obviously Spirit does not include anything. And a car rental between you two will probably be cheaper for the drive than the direct flight.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Yeah, I haven't flown in years so I had no idea what to expect price wise.
Time to suck it up and fly.
Thanks guys!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Booked Calgary to Vegas with Air Canada Rouge (I know, i know); am I going to want to kill myself sitting in their cramped economy for 2 and a half hours? Would it be worth it to pay for a preferred seat for a relatively short flight?
I'm 6'1 and 190lbs for reference.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ColdBlooded posted:

Booked Calgary to Vegas with Air Canada Rouge (I know, i know); am I going to want to kill myself sitting in their cramped economy for 2 and a half hours? Would it be worth it to pay for a preferred seat for a relatively short flight?
I'm 6'1 and 190lbs for reference.

Yes.

PastPerfect
Nov 23, 2004

Rocking it out with my 60hz Hum

Nap Ghost
Finally getting a vacation and trying to find the best possible (cheapest) travel package I can with a few upgraded flights over the atlantic.

I think this is what's called and open jaw.

Departure Flight
LAX-BUR-SNA-LGB-ONT to BCN 9/11 or 2 days before or after. (Coach Premier or better hopefully business)

CIA-FCO to MUC 9/23 (OKTOBERFEST!)

Return Flight
MUC to LAX 9/25 (Coach Premier or better hopefully business)

I'm willing to taking a crap WOW or Vueling once on the continent to in order to get a cheap Atlantic flight and to get to Munich. Any ideas on how to go about booking/researching this?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

What's the best way to book a stopover? Multi-city? Travel agent? Specifically I'm looking to go from LAX-BKK from mid-August to early September with a 3-4 day stopover in Tokyo preferably on the way back.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PastPerfect posted:

Finally getting a vacation and trying to find the best possible (cheapest) travel package I can with a few upgraded flights over the atlantic.

Departure Flight
LAX-BUR-SNA-LGB-ONT to BCN 9/11 or 2 days before or after. (Coach Premier or better hopefully business)

Return Flight

I'm willing to taking a crap WOW or Vueling once on the continent to in order to get a cheap Atlantic flight and to get to Munich. Any ideas on how to go about booking/researching this?

J is going to run you about $3500 on the route; Y+ will be about $2000. I'd watch it for a while and see if prices change. Also consider flights out of SAN and into MAD or LIS/OPO as they've been cheaper lately. Google Flight should show you all you need to know.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

birds posted:

What's the best way to book a stopover? Multi-city? Travel agent? Specifically I'm looking to go from LAX-BKK from mid-August to early September with a 3-4 day stopover in Tokyo preferably on the way back.

Google Flights to find what you want, then book directly with the airline. Multi-city searches are exactly how you book stopovers; there should not be a price difference as long as the stopover is compliant with the fare rules.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

PastPerfect posted:

Departure Flight

Return Flight

WOW are LCC enough to charge you for carry-on, each way so watch out for that one

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I've got a slightly unusual question. I'm coming up to the end of my contract at my current job and as part of the contract, they'll reimburse me for a flight up to a certain dollar amount. Ostensibly it's to go home, but they don't really care. I don't plan on going anywhere to use the full amount they're offering, so I'm looking to get a refundable ticket as close to that dollar amount as possible. The destination doesn't matter of course.

Is there any search engine out there that will allow me to input those options? Price, refundability, but without a specific destination in mind? I know Skyscanner lets you look for tickets to anywhere, but I don't think I can search for refundable tickets specifically on there. Otherwise I suppose I can just manually go through random airline websites and try to figure out a ticket as close to that amount as possible.

Thanks.

(Yeah, I know it's a moral grey area, but our HR person suggested it so I'm fine with it.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wild guess but... if it's a job teaching english in asia I think they at least require it to be to your home country.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I believe ITA Matrix can search by fare class. I would start with an airline you regularly fly though and branch out from there even with the search engine. I don't see the point of getting $X more if it's on an airline that doesn't go where you want or is more expensive.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

asur posted:

I believe ITA Matrix can search by fare class. I would start with an airline you regularly fly though and branch out from there even with the search engine. I don't see the point of getting $X more if it's on an airline that doesn't go where you want or is more expensive.

Thanks for that, I've been trying it out for a little while now. It's good to know, but I can't really search for a ticket that's refundable (not that I could see, at least). I guess I'll just have to do it manually.

peanut posted:

wild guess but... if it's a job teaching english in asia I think they at least require it to be to your home country.

Good guess! But in this case it doesn't have to be to my home country, for some reason.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For refundable you might have better luck going through an airline website directly. In general full-fare is refundable and discount tickets are not. You could also try business class flights(?) on a shorted route.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

peanut posted:

For refundable you might have better luck going through an airline website directly. In general full-fare is refundable and discount tickets are not. You could also try business class flights(?) on a shorted route.

This. Refundable does not always equate to full fare. Search directly with the airlines you're targeting and find something that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone been to Almaty (ALA) before? Apparently Air Astana doesn't transfer the luggage to flights operated by KLM there, and guess what, that's my friend's situation. There's a 75 minute transfer (landing to take-off), the international terminal seems pretty small, how hosed is it gonna be?