Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I highly doubt that Tim Kaine would be talking about it in a positive sense if it meant we were going to war.

Twitter seems to think it's about going up against ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanks thread for proving my point about the pervasive nature of ignorance in political opinion shaping.

Thinking NYC and Toledo is the same way people decide other communities don't need services they don't have. They incorrectly assume their knowledge and experience applies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

The thing is we loving knew this before he was confirmed because it was brought up at his goddamn confirmation hearing.

And that's why we were gnashing our teeth at every committee Dem voted for these chucklefucks. You can't attack Republicans on confirming literal traitors if you also voted for them! :mad:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Not even Drudge is trying to spin the CBO score.

Yet, at least.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

business hammocks posted:

Weed is legal in Maine, Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont. Also nobody cares about Montana because it has never mattered politically or culturally to anyone not trapped there. Everyone panicked about the midwest rust traps because the people dying there caused Trump to win. Wreck the country and maybe someone will notice you.

Once upon a time Montana was super important for the US economy and labor rights! It's actually really interesting history, for those interested here's a Wikipedia page to get you started.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Thanks thread for proving my point about the pervasive nature of ignorance in political opinion shaping.

Thinking NYC and Toledo is the same way people decide other communities don't need services they don't have. They incorrectly assume their knowledge and experience applies.

What are you talking about man? He lives in another country now! He's so worldly now that he knows the Spanish word for earthquake.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rigel posted:

Really sick of those east coast elitists yelling "Go Pack Go!"

The correct opinion. :smug:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Not even Drudge is trying to spin the CBO score.

Yet, at least.

The funniest thing about the RWM is the lag phase where they all wait to receive instructions in the new talking points.

Also Bill Mitchell's Self-Own Zone

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

And that's why we were gnashing our teeth at every committee Dem voted for these chucklefucks. You can't attack Republicans on confirming literal traitors if you also voted for them! :mad:

The Dems who voted for him were folks like Manchin though. They're not going to be the ones making noise about Russia

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I started work this week so I'm not really following everything but today was

CBO came out and was bad as expected
Trump told someone where we have subs continuing his pattern of making GBS threads all over NatSec
I'm pretty sure he told that crazy Filipino president gj on his war on drugs
He's really tired

Did I miss anything?

highme
May 25, 2001

The best thing to come out of Montana were the Missoula Floods.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Once upon a time Montana was super important for the US economy and labor rights! It's actually really interesting history, for those interested here's a Wikipedia page to get you started.

That's really fascinating and the wiki article deserves to be longer. Thank you for sharing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The funniest thing about the RWM is the lag phase where they all wait to receive instructions in the new talking points.

Especially when it wrestles with their need for scoops and hot takes so you sometimes get a half-hour of scattershot justifications before the talking points actually land.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Trump told someone where we have subs continuing his pattern of making GBS threads all over NatSec
He's really tired

Did I miss anything?

Pope did not look happy at meeting with Trump.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Wasn't there a special election today too? What time do we find out results?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wasn't there a special election today too? What time do we find out results?

If you're thinking of Quist that's tomorrow. :munch:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Did I miss anything?

NYT ran a story that the IC intercepted communications last summer, in which Russian officials discussed how they could influence Trump through his advisors, naming specifically Michael Flynn.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Are preexisting conditions still covered?

If you ask the GOP, yes. In reality, sort of. So far as I can tell the House's AHCA doesn't eliminate coverage or underwriting protections for pre-existing conditions directly, but the state waivers allow at least three process to make life miserable for sick people:

a) If you have a 63-day coverage gap in the past year and are applying for an individual (i.e. market) plan, then the insurance company can charge you a premium based on "health status" for year. "Health status" includes medical history, current mental and physical conditions, etc. It's unclear whether underwriting would allow them to take into account any expected losses after the first year, but since that's not explicitly prohibited it's safe to assume that insurance companies would do so. That means that if you have a coverage gap and need an individual plan, you could easily be hit with premiums in the $50K-$100K+ range for the first year and effectively be denied coverage.

b) The state waiver will allow insurance companies to split sick and older individuals out into separate high-risk pools instead of the current common risk pools. Ultimately, this means that premiums will skyrocket for individuals with pre-existing conditions, even though their individual plans are technically not being underwritten based on their pre-existing conditions. The allotted funds for "high-risk" pools are woefully inadequate to address this.

c) In states that don't take any waivers, the individual markets are likely to implode without the fee support and individual mandate of the ACA. This means there just might not be any options for insurance whatsoever!

Edit: Not to mention the elimination of out-of-pocket caps, erosion of basic coverage requirements, etc. will all mean higher out-of-pocket costs for folks with pre-existing conditions.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 24, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He's really tired

Did I miss anything?

Met the Pope and somehow made people feel really sympathetic to Sean Spicer by not letting Spicer meet the Pope

Special election is tomorrow

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He did. Additionally, US intel is leaking like a sieve after the bombing in Manchester and the UK govt. is mad as hell.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

business hammocks posted:

That's really fascinating and the wiki article deserves to be longer. Thank you for sharing.

Yeah, I was desperately googling for any better sources, I recall the Butte, America documentary being good, but everything else I remember is just leftover from middle school Montana history (former resident of the state).

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

evilweasel posted:

i wonder if glowing fish isn't really clear on how oceans work and thinks that can stop the mighty ocean is a Real Mountain so every so often the entire atlantic floods all the way to, uh, colorado

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dear lord if democrats gently caress this up... come on guys this is a death kneel for them if you actually try

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
glowing-fish you've brought me and my friends sincere joy on an otherwise dark day in American history and for that I thank you. Every time I hear the waves crash on the shores of Akron they'll be calling your name - glowing-fish, glowing-fish.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ekster posted:

My coworker suggest that the pope had that look because Trump totally asked for a ride in the Popemobile.

And I just stood there nodding not even thinking it was meant as a joke because I could actually see him doing it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The upcoming town halls are going to be great.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ekster posted:

The Pope called Trump fat, that's pretty cool.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DaveWoo posted:

This sure was a great time for the Washington Examiner to write a fawning profile of Paul Ryan:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SalenaZito/status/867509516228632577

"Kill Them With Kindness" :lol:
It's true! He's killing the poor, the sick, and the elderly with kindness to rich people in the form of tax cuts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The upcoming town halls are going to be great.

They just won't hold any.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Blitz7x posted:

Are preexisting conditions still covered?

Its gonna be decided at state level

But don't worry, they reserved 8 Billion over the next decade to cover everyone in the US with preexisting conditions

highme
May 25, 2001

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

glowing-fish you've brought me and my friends sincere joy on an otherwise dark day in American history and for that I thank you. Every time I hear the waves crash on the shores of Akron they'll be calling your name - glowing-fish, glowing-fish.

Do you split time between LA & Akron and if so does that mean you're one of those bi-coastal elites now?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Fun geology fact: mountain ranges are actually very young relative to Earth history which is counter-intuitive for most people. Major mountain ranges in the modern are usually no more than 100-200 million years old, the Earth is 4.5 billion.

Don't size shame the Appalachians, the Rockies are taller but they're also really young babby mountains (formed 80-55 mya).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drunk Theory posted:

The Pope called Trump fat, that's pretty cool.

Lmao he really did:

Pontifex of Shade posted:

“At one point, Francis kidded with the first couple. While shaking Melania Trump’s hand, he asked what she fed him. Potizza, he asked?

“Potizza,” she said, referring to a Slovenian treat.”

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He's really tired

Did I miss anything?

The orb seems larger

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

evilweasel posted:

They just won't hold any.

Mine did one where he took prescreened questions via conference call for about 10 minutes. If he does another he'll use one of those voice scrambler things.

E: Quist 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

empty whippet box posted:

I wonder if Quist is hammering the CBO score in the last day before the election in Montana.

Considering that his entire campaign has basically been "if I was in the house I would have voted against the AHCA", I'm fairly sure he is

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Do you think it's possible to form Laramidia as a country? It's kinda like Cascadia, but with a cooler name. I mean, I guess we'd have to take Alaska, too, but that's a small price to pay. As a British Columbian, I'd love to be in a country that has Washington and California (hell, even Mexico apparently) but not Alberta or Saskatchewan (the former apparently being mostly submerged which, wow, what a perfect world).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

speaking of quist:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/867517225820966912

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

Do you split time between LA & Akron and if so does that mean you're one of those bi-coastal elites now?

I'm just whistlin' Dixie and cooking clam chowder up here in California, the Show-Me State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Lmao he really did:

Lmao.

I hope he had some archbishops hanging out with them for the reaction shot

• Locked thread