Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sexual Lorax posted:

I dumpster dived a laptop with 64 bits of raw country power, and I just attended a Microsoft talk at a conference about some hilarious interop Linux poo poo they put into Win10 Creators Update, so I did something really weird and paid for an operating system.

I'm also probably going to play a poo poo ton of Factorio on it.

You dumpster dove for the laptop but went ahead and decided to pay for a WIndows 10 license? Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I needed a new bluetooth speaker for my living room and wanted something nicer than a $20 wal mart option, so after some basic research I went with this contraption, known as the Arisen Windbox (image stolen from their site):

It was $60, and aside from looking slick as hell, holy poo poo I never knew a bluetooth speaker at this price range could sound so good! The supposed wind technology is supposed to help with the bass, idk if that's true or not but the lower frequencies sound stunningly great. This drat speaker puts my basic computer speakers to shame, and makes me want to invest more in some nice computer monitors now...

Also you can feel the air pushing out through a hole in the back. Anyways, very happy with this purchase, I'm planning on setting up a tablet on a stand next to this puppy on a shelf (possibly a glass shelf?!) somewhere in my living room for a slick music control station. I'm also looking forward to cranking it up and jamming along with my guitar because everything sounds so crisp and balanced! I wouldn't rely on it for a large outdoor party but it gets more than annoyingly loud at the upper limits of the volume range within the confines of my 1br apartment.

A+ for style and sound quality, good targeted purchase recommendation courtesy of Big Data

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

travisray2004 posted:

You dumpster dove for the laptop but went ahead and decided to pay for a WIndows 10 license? Ok.

You can get it for 25$ which is not so bad for the advantages you get VS having a pirated system. I bought windows for the first time ever too a couple of weeks ago

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

travisray2004 posted:

:shrug: After an entire professional career of throwing shade on MICRO$LOTH!!!!1one!, I was impressed by their current efforts to engage the open source community. Call it voting with my wallet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mister Kingdom posted:

Cleveland rocks!

Please tell me that this comes with a comic strip of the caterpillar and the french fry.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KingColliwog posted:

You can get it for 25$ which is not so bad for the advantages you get VS having a pirated system. I bought windows for the first time ever too a couple of weeks ago

Are those 'proper' legit licenses, or 'it works, don't ask too many questions' legit?

Cause MS is selling them for £200
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/d/windows-10-pro/DF77X4D43RKT/48DN?icid=Cat-Windows-mosaic_banner1-pro-042517-en_GB

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TraderStav posted:

Please tell me that this comes with a comic strip of the caterpillar and the french fry.

Holy poo poo, what a pull

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

spog posted:

Are those 'proper' legit licenses, or 'it works, don't ask too many questions' legit?

I mean, I've been running one for 2+ years now with 0 issues that I bought off Reddit's r/microsoftsoftwareswap

The only reason I can think I'd have to buy a new one is when I swap out my CPU+mobo soon...

Oh yeah speaking of:

Asus GTX 1060 Dual

All for my SO's pink & white themed build!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Paused my search for a newer car to purchase a Tuft and Needle queen sized bed.

Turns out incredible sciatic pain is a terrific motivator to make you raise your budget up a good bit.

Should be here probably Monday, and the frame I had to buy for it should be here Friday. Only downside is gently caress, now I gotta limp my gimpy rear end down to the store and buy some decent queen sized sheets.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

spog posted:

Cause MS is selling them for £200
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/d/windows-10-pro/DF77X4D43RKT/48DN?icid=Cat-Windows-mosaic_banner1-pro-042517-en_GB

100% legit and legal licenses. Windows 7 licenses that is. And then you can upgrade those for free on microsoft website and they grant you a windows 10 license. They might stop granting free upgrades at some point but for now it's still a cheap way to get windows.
Look up SA mart, there's some for sale there.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 23:51 on May 24, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They stopped free upgrades almost a year ago.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Josh Lyman posted:

yeah, but you can still put one in and it works.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Only if you start the process on an old Windows 7 copy that is legit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bottom Liner posted:

Only if you start the process on an old Windows 7 copy that is legit.
You can just do a fresh install on an empty disk. The Windows 10 installation media still takes Windows 7 keys.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Josh Lyman posted:

They didn't actually. They just don't advertise it anymore but you can fresh install windows 10 with a windows 7 key

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Technically it's for people that require the Assistive Technologies, but they aren't really checking to make sure you're actually using them after the install.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Thanks so much for sharing that, y'all. I just a couple months ago got my PC I built like four years ago up and running and it's still running 7. I thought the window to upgrade to 10 was long ago, I really appreciate you cluing me in. For anyone in my situation, you can find the link here.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tea Bone posted:

Do they not print on American Apparel shirts anymore? I always thought they had the edge over other shirt printing sites because of that.

I have bad news for you, friend; American Apparel declared bankruptcy and sold off all their assets before closing down shop months ago. There are no more American Apparel shirts, and it seriously bums me out because I love their 50/50 shirts and wear them all the time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Dehumanize and face to Gildan

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Honestly if you hadn't already switched to Uniqlo for your basics before AA folded you're behind the curve. Cheaper and better-made, plus you're not supporting awful people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Their heattech and airisms are the perfect undershirts and gym shirts. Only synthetics I've found that don't stink after a few hours as well.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Picked up one of these guys (Hudson bay point blanket) for $200 at my local LL bean outlet. Brand new from what I can tell

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

App13 posted:

Picked up one of these guys (Hudson bay point blanket) for $200 at my local LL bean outlet. Brand new from what I can tell

This is it, the whitest post of all time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

I have bad news for you, friend; American Apparel declared bankruptcy and sold off all their assets before closing down shop months ago. There are no more American Apparel shirts, and it seriously bums me out because I love their 50/50 shirts and wear them all the time.

Just tell me Dov Charney swallowed an entire canister of Drano and I can move on

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poop dood posted:

Honestly if you hadn't already switched to Uniqlo for your basics before AA folded you're behind the curve. Cheaper and better-made, plus you're not supporting awful people.

What, did they not vote Democrat?

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

PCOS Bill posted:

What, did they not vote Democrat?

They used sex to sell things. Practically unheard of.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
It was a bit more than that, to be fair...

Wikipedia posted:

The company has been criticized for its unconventional corporate culture.[108] Charney claimed to have slept with employees, and reportedly masturbated numerous times and had oral sex performed on him by an employee during a series of interviews with a writer for the magazine Jane.[109][110]

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randyslawterhouse posted:

It was a bit more than that, to be fair...

So I notice words like "coerce," "force," and "rape," weren't used in that sentence so I don't see the problem with adults fuckin' consensually here?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, jerking off in front of a random person is totally normal behavior and not at all sexual harassment.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I mean it did say it was "a series of interviews", which makes it even weirder. Like I bet the second time the reporter didn't wear open toed shoes.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gimlet did a nice long story about him. Dude totally sexually harassed people.

http://pca.st/episode/5fa0cbe0-84a0-0134-905b-3327a14bcdba

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PCOS Bill posted:

So I notice words like "coerce," "force," and "rape," weren't used in that sentence so I don't see the problem with adults fuckin' consensually here?

CEO sleeping with employees is always bad times.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

I didn't expect you to :shrug:

Content:
These arrived today after a twelve week wait...

Slight problem, they're exactly 4x as big as I thought they'd be - spot the schoolboy error!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poop dood posted:

Which model is an equivalent of the super soft AA shirts? Seems the ones I like are "Tri-Blend Track Shirt."

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Oh, you must live two doors down from me. :argh:
Let me know how it works for you. I could really use something to drown out that dumb loving huckleberry.

I used that one and it works really well. The only problem is after awhile listening to it all night I couldn't stop noticing the 'digitalness' of the sound, a kinda popping in the background. For the same price you can get the Marpac Dohm-DS, which uses a real fan. It doesn't get as loud though.

treiz01 posted:

All for my SO's pink & white themed build!
What case is this? You have a link to it?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've bought and returned 5 pairs of Ray Bans for being broken or counterfeit. Done with that brand.

What's a different, superior brand? Bonus for Amazon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Maui Jim but they are pricey. But I rather avoid luxottica crap like Ray Ban.

e: don't get them from Amazon though because it's not an authorized retailer for Maui Jim so it doesn't come with a warranty.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
American Optical? My sunglasses are made by them and I like them, they are available on Amazon

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

overseerbrian posted:

What case is this? You have a link to it?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144322&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Paused my search for a newer car to purchase a Tuft and Needle queen sized bed.

Turns out incredible sciatic pain is a terrific motivator to make you raise your budget up a good bit.

Should be here probably Monday, and the frame I had to buy for it should be here Friday. Only downside is gently caress, now I gotta limp my gimpy rear end down to the store and buy some decent queen sized sheets.

My Tuft and Needle was just delivered a few days ago. It's awesome. Far softer than I expected (and softer than I prefer) but it seems to just be a top layer of softness. The layers beneath give great support.

Creepiness: I got a letter in the physical mail from Casper Mattresses saying that they guarantee their mattress will outperform my new Tuft and Needle and that I should give it a try if I decide to return mine!