Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I suspect it has to do with the randoms walking into his home without any notice.

But in all the documentaries I've seen on this, the tenant and the stranger always end up having sex!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Unload My Head posted:

Some states actually legally prohibit the tenant from doing anything that would prevent the landlord from showing the unit once notice has been given of the showing.

The more important question is why you are fighting this? Do you want to force them to eat a month of rent out of spite or something?

goodness posted:

My apartment is getting shown regularly and the landlord has not been giving us notice. And they called today to complain that it's not picked up when they show it...

Sounds like he's in the clear then!

One of the things you pay for in your rent is the right not to have your landlord and whoever he feels like letting in wander into your home without any notice, and encouraging them to respect that isn't something that needs justification. Unless he has a completely garbage lease in a terrible location, he has a right to some sort of notice from the landlord or their agent. I wouldn't do something deliberately shocking like answer the door naked, but I would absolutely demand they honor the notice requirements in the lease or local law.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

But in all the documentaries I've seen on this, the tenant and the stranger always end up having sex!?

"You can come in, but you have to carry this pizza delivery bag."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does America actually have states where the landlord is allowed to come in with no notice at all?

I mean, like the Canadian part of goes "no there is no way that can be legal anywhere" and then I go "yeah but America is a weird place"

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

HookShot posted:

Does America actually have states where the landlord is allowed to come in with no notice at all?

I mean, like the Canadian part of goes "no there is no way that can be legal anywhere" and then I go "yeah but America is a weird place"

As far as I know Texas doesn't have a statue that requires notice by the landlord to enter.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Standard apartment lease in Texas doesn't even require advanced notice that they'll enter, just that it be at a reasonable time and they leave a note saying they were there if you aren't there

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Jesus Christ.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just to be clear: most landlords don't do that in Texas. Crazy ones, power tripping managers, etc do.

My lease actually provides that they can show the house with 24h notice in the last month of my tenancy, or I have to pay some premium.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

nm posted:

I suspect it has to do with the randoms walking into his home without any notice.

No I get that. I'm curious why his response to a lazy/stupid property manager is to immediately escalate to maximum rear end in a top hat behavior and full frontal nudity, and not to just, for instance, give them a quick email reminding them of the contract their customer wrote up and signed with him.

HookShot posted:

Jesus Christ.

If there's one thing you should take away from the legal thread it's to never live in the American South.

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 25, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

HookShot posted:

Jesus Christ.

At least we're not Arkansas!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just to be clear: most landlords don't do that in Texas. Crazy ones, power tripping managers, etc do.

Yeah but the fact that it's allowed at all is just mind-boggling to me.

Here it's a minimum of 24 hours notice (except for emergencies obviously) and I've lived in places where to let someone look at a place it's a minimum 7 days notice.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Unload My Head posted:

No I get that. I'm curious why his response to a lazy/stupid property manager is to immediately escalate to maximum rear end in a top hat behavior and full frontal nudity, and not to just, for instance, give them a quick email reminding them of the contract their customer wrote up and signed with him.

If there's one thing you should take away from the legal thread it's to never live in the American South.

We're probably not getting all the backstory.

Don't underestimate the idiocy, laziness, and sheer incompetence of apartment managers. Maintenance came to my apt a couple weeks ago to do yearly maintenance (they didn't know I was home) and proceeded to talk about previously finding "sex toys" [under a nightstand-pelvic dilator therapy is a bitch], how much of a weirdo I am, how much they like my tits, and went through my prescription medication from a recent surgery (they walked past my crutches on the way in). It took management more than two weeks to respond that they had internally disciplined them and completely ignored my demand for a discount on my rent or any other concession which they had promised to follow up on when I first told them about the incident.

I'm saying that many are garbage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The majority of landlords on the US are completely loving garbage. Both privately-held and corporate, though they tend to be garbage in different ways.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
What happens if you win an election but go to prison before you can take your seat? For argument's sake, let's say the position you're running for is Montana's representative in the US House.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

The majority of landlords on the US are completely loving garbage. Both privately-held and corporate, though they tend to be garbage in different ways.

Landlords are just like everybody else. They're selfish, cheap, and stupid, and half of them are below average.

Corporate management is poo poo across the board because they're zoomed so far out. In this market there are dozens of suckers lined up behind you and they don't know what's going on in your unit/building/situation and the don't give a gently caress. Mom and pop is a crapshoot. Your best and worst landlord will likely be one. If you're smart and not in a desperate hurry you should always try to find one though, if you get a good one you're golden.

Renters never consider the landlord and it's dumb. You're feeling them out as much as they're feeling you out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unload My Head posted:

Landlords are just like everybody else. They're selfish, cheap, and stupid, and half of them are below average.

Corporate management is poo poo across the board because they're zoomed so far out. In this market there are dozens of suckers lined up behind you and they don't know what's going on in your unit/building/situation and the don't give a gently caress. Mom and pop is a crapshoot. Your best and worst landlord will likely be one. If you're smart and not in a desperate hurry you should always try to find one though, if you get a good one you're golden.

Renters never consider the landlord and it's dumb. You're feeling them out as much as they're feeling you out.
This is great advice for places where there are more landlords than renters. For the 80% of us living in cities, however, it's fairly useless.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't understand why you'd have this problem even once and even consider being home and not have the security chain set (or if you don't have one and can't install one, a wedge under the door).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Thanatosian posted:

This is great advice for places where there are more landlords than renters. For the 80% of us living in cities, however, it's fairly useless.
I live in a city and there's a pretty clear difference between landlords when you ask "What happens if the dishwasher floods?" and they answer "Oh, I'm in the neighborhood, we'll work it out", or "I have a contract with emergency 24/7 maintenance company we'll call".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

I live in a city and there's a pretty clear difference between landlords when you ask "What happens if the dishwasher floods?" and they answer "Oh, I'm in the neighborhood, we'll work it out", or "I have a contract with emergency 24/7 maintenance company we'll call".
I'm not saying there's not a difference, I'm saying that if you live in most places people actually want to live, you have to be lucky enough to be the first person to stumble on to the latter landlord. If I wasn't willing to put up with the former landlord, I'd be living under a goddamn bridge.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not saying there's not a difference, I'm saying that if you live in most places people actually want to live, you have to be lucky enough to be the first person to stumble on to the latter landlord. If I wasn't willing to put up with the former landlord, I'd be living under a goddamn bridge.
I think you're confusing "lives in a city" with "is poor". Back in February I toured a bunch of places in Seattle with various levels of amateur to professional management, including three privately owned condos two in a building with no provided maintenance, and one in a building with on-call maintenance (had nothing to do with the owner). The place I ended up had multiple units available, so it wasn't even a matter of being first.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 26, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

I think you're confusing "lives in a city" with "is poor". Back in February I toured a bunch of places in Seattle with various levels of amateur to professional management, including three privately owned condos two in a building with no provided maintenance, and one in a building with on-call maintenance (had nothing to do with the owner). The place I ended up had multiple units available, so it wasn't even a matter of being first.

If we're defining "poor" as "unwilling to pay $2000 a month for a one-bedroom or $1400 a month to share an apartment," then yes, that's accurate. Given the standard guideline of not paying more than 40% of your income for housing plus transportation, though, you're classifying anyone who makes less than $60,000 a year as "poor."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

If we're defining "poor" as "unwilling to pay $2000 a month for a one-bedroom or $1400 a month to share an apartment," then yes, that's accurate. Given the standard guideline of not paying more than 40% of your income for housing plus transportation, though, you're classifying anyone who makes less than $60,000 a year as "poor."
I mean if you live somewhere where you need to pay $2000 a month for a one-bedroom and make less than $60,000 a year, you're probably poor. I'm not the only one:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/72000-considered-low-income-in-king-and-snohomish-counties/434107397
I get that poor people have restricted choices, and that being poor has a high cost associated with it for a variety reasons, and that sucks. But the reason you can't find a good landlord isn't that you live in a city.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask about tenancy issues. I'm in New York State, but not New York City. Monroe County.

So, I broke up with my girlfriend, and while she *is* trying to find work and rent a room and get out, I need to know what to do if she actually doesn't do that.

Background info:
Our lease expires July 31. I have already hand-delivered a signed letter from my ex to the landlord, stating that she wants to be removed from the renewed lease and intends to move out. I have already signed the renewed lease, with my name only, for the duration of August 1 2017 - July 31 2018.

I need to know what my options are if she tries to dig her heels in. Until one of her job interviews pans out, she's not going to stop guilting me about how she'll have to live in her car while scrubbing toilets, and it's stressing me the gently caress out. She's a full-time university student who pays her tuition with loans, she can like be a tutor or sign up for Section 8 housing or something, I don't know.

This is something I know I should probably just ask my landlord about, but I've bugged her a bunch already to set up the new lease, so I don't want to push it with her until like the end of June, if it still matters. I do know that her stance on the matter is "She's not on the lease and she's not paying rent, she can't stay here," but searching around the internet gives me really unclear information about whether it's possible to kick her out of the apartment at that time (August 1) without also eating an eviction myself.

The whole situation is making me anxious as hell.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh boy you've got yourself into some poo poo. Why'd you break up?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oh boy you've got yourself into some poo poo. Why'd you break up?

Spent like the last 2 out of 5 years completely coasting on complacency before eventually realizing that I'll never get what I need emotionally from this woman because I live in fear of triggering her major anxiety disorder with any given minor disagreement :v:

Guess how many red flags she managed to conceal until after she already moved in? She also caught me during a point in my life where my own self-esteem was completely hosed, so... yeah.

I have this like gripping fear that she won't move out and I'll be stuck living on an air mattress in the living room of our (my) single bedroom apartment for like another 6 months, and I'm trying to find out what my options are, if it comes to that, or if I just need to start bringing other girls home in August and being like "A little privacy, please?"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Does your lease contain a clause about people not on the lease living there? A lot of them do. If it does, you will prolly need to take proactive to get her out before you become in violation of the lease and either get fined or get evicted yourself

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you may need to evict her, have fun

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

EwokEntourage posted:

Does your lease contain a clause about people not on the lease living there? A lot of them do. If it does, you will prolly need to take proactive to get her out before you become in violation of the lease and either get fined or get evicted yourself

Yeah, it does. But, also the landlord is aware of the situation.

I guess my main question is, how proactive am I allowed to be? I don't want to accidentally be doing a criminal harassment, or like some kind of illegal eviction. It seems like in a lot of states she's still legally a "tenant" even if she's not on the lease, because her mail gets delivered here or whatever? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Cleanest thing to do is consult a local attorney. I don't know NY laws but in Texas she'd be entitled to remain unto her current lease is up. Once it expires and she doesn't leave, then she'd be a holdover and subject to eviction.

But like, give her time. You're kicking your ex gf out of the home you shared, she's poor and has anxiety. It may take her until July to figure it out. I'm not saying let her stay after the new lease starts, but don't panic until like June 30.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
It's certainly state dependent, but I'm thinking the landlord would be the one to do the eviction, yeah?

I've honestly never had this scenario come up though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, it does. But, also the landlord is aware of the situation.

I guess my main question is, how proactive am I allowed to be? I don't want to accidentally be doing a criminal harassment, or like some kind of illegal eviction. It seems like in a lot of states she's still legally a "tenant" even if she's not on the lease, because her mail gets delivered here or whatever? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Like mr beef franks said, you likely can't do anything until the current lease is up. And as the other guy mentioned, it might be the landlord's job. One thing you might do is look for a tenant legal clinic / aid session. They will probably have dealt with something like this. If she stays past the lease, it will likely be an eviction issue.

You probably shouldn't rely on your landlord being aware of the situation either. Even if it is in writing, trying to rely on your landlord being aware and some vague estoppel defense isn't going to be good if they start putting pressure on you.

Don't be a dick to your ex about it, but remember you come first

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
A dark voice from the bowels of the thread, whispering: "Have sex with her"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blarzgh posted:

The terminology is not particularly relevant.

You have a lawsuit if you can go to Court and sue to enforce a series of reciprocal obligations. That's a legal "contract", and technically an "agreement." Call it what you want, but in American an "agreement" doesn't have the same connotation as a "contract."

We can be in agreement that the sky is blue, but you can't sue me for it. We can have a contract wherein you "agree" to mow my lawn and I "agree" to pay you $25.00. If I pay you and you don't mow the lawn, I can sue you.
Yeah, but when googling "Sample contracts in Field X", I get a lot of "Purchase agreement" where "Purchase contract" should be if what you're saying (and what I'm saying in the quoted post) is true.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but when googling "Sample contracts in Field X", I get a lot of "Purchase agreement" where "Purchase contract" should be if what you're saying (and what I'm saying in the quoted post) is true.

Read my post again. It doesn't matter what you call it. If it's enforceable in Court, it's a contract.

I could write, "Purchase and Sale Buttplug" at the top of it, it doesn't matter.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
God, I hope that Buttplug isn't enforceable.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the General A/T thread:

My sister was driving down a parking lot lane and another car backed out of a space and hit her as she was driving by. They exchanged info and she's talked to his insurance company, but is worried that he might just start ducking their calls. This happened once before where she got rear ended and the woman just wouldn't answer her phone and her insurance company basically shrugged their shoulders and walked away.

I can't imagine it's that easy, so if this dude doesn't cooperate with his own insurance company what would her options be legally? This happened at her church so we actually have security camera footage of the whole thing, there shouldn't be any question of who is at fault. This is in Texas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He should file a claim with his own insurance to fix any damage, give the info for the other driver to them for them to collect it, and let them handle it. He'll have to pay whatever deductible up front but they'll reimburse once they collect from the other.

Parking lot collisions are just your word vs theirs most of the time because police don't get involved. This is why you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Best way to avoid this in the future is a dash cam.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

He should file a claim with his own insurance to fix any damage, give the info for the other driver to them for them to collect it, and let them handle it. He'll have to pay whatever deductible up front but they'll reimburse once they collect from the other.

Parking lot collisions are just your word vs theirs most of the time because police don't get involved. This is why you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Best way to avoid this in the future is a dash cam.

You clearly missed where the whole thing was on video.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah i didn't really read it much. If its on video still just make the claim with your own insurance and give them a copy of the video.

gently caress trying to deal with the other party on a property damage claim. That's what you pay your insurance for. They're far more sophisticated when it comes to collecting from another insurance company.

Maybe i'm just spoiled by USAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell, sometimes the other insurance company will just accept liability upfront and you don't even need to pay your deductible