Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Degreasing a pizza. It takes him forever.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

What the gently caress was Olynyk doing on that play?

So he started a pretty standard icing on the screen
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/4/4804278/nba-defense-pick-and-roll-ice

But then Olynyk totally zones out and either thinks Kyrie is shooting, or forgets exactly what he's supposed to be doing and just moves into Kyrie's body. It's possible Smart messed up a switch somewhere in there, but I think more likely Olynyk just spaced out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Degreasing a pizza. It takes him forever.

lmao

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

A little overblown but this headline killed me

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/867459590023135233

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Are the Lakers going to have fake muscles?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the mean lunch lady posted:

Are the Lakers going to have fake muscles?

Theyre gonna start dating themselves.

https://twitter.com/poundingtherock/status/867443836641050624
:thunk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 24, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm extremely curious about what sort of contract DRose is going to get even though I know the most likely answer is way too much from Phil

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

poo poo man, I'm an rear end guru where is my check

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They're only looking for Kim-Kardashian's-rear end gurus

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spurs should probably focus on reviving Danny Green's shot first before moving onto Rose

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
he's less broken than Tony Parker, right?
I mean, there's no way he isn't, right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Don't do it Pop :ohdear:

Unless he signs like a vet minimum or something

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean, he seems like he'd be a pretty good replacement for an ancient Tony Parker

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Spurs should probably focus on reviving Danny Green's shot first before moving onto Rose
That's just always been Danny though, he's not broken per se. It's just part of the package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98DoM7tXL7Q

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I swear Danny Green was like a combined 1/40 from 3 in Spurs games that I saw this year. It was hard to believe he's actually a competent shooter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

I swear Danny Green was like a combined 1/40 from 3 in Spurs games that I saw this year. It was hard to believe he's actually a competent shooter.

When he's on, he's on. But he's streaky as gently caress, so you never know if you're getting Good Danny Green or Evil Danny Green.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Nah lol you are seriously under rating them

Edit: I honestly can't stand how stupid this sentiment is. Kyrie and Love BOTH graded out higher than Green and Thompson on WS/48 this year.

I wanna come back to this because I enjoy hating on Kyrie, who I like and believe to be the reincarnation of Gilbert Arenas, one of my favorite players of all time. Kyrie plays extremely cool basketball despite being a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Not everything can be boiled down to stats. Kyrie is an insane acrobat, which rules and can't be quantified. He has a sick crossover and ball fakes, which rule and can't be quantified. He plays like an And 1 guy, except he doesn't dunk which sucks and can be quantified. He has unshakable swagger and will take any bailout or go ahead shot without flinching which has real value and is difficult to quantify.

However, he is a borderline top 10 player in the East by production. In the last 4 years, his rankings in the East

2017: WS 8th, WS48 8th, VORP 10th, BPM 16th, PER 7th
2016: WS 44th, WS48 23rd, VORP 45th, BPM 27th, PER 18th
2015: WS 3rd, WS48 5th, VORP 4th, BPM 9th, PER 4th
2014 (Pre Lebron Era): WS 17th, WS48 26th, VORP 8th, BPM 7th, PER 8th

So that's one ambiguously top 10 season in 2015, two borderline seasons in 2017 and 2014 (I like WS better than the others, so personally I'd give him this year but not 2014) and one not even close season, in which he was hurt but your team doesn't get spotted points for missing you so that actually matters. It is impossible to argue that, on the numbers, Kyrie would be better than the, say, 7th or 8th best player in the East. If you wanna do that, you gotta go eye test and narrative and somehow argue that being on a good team with a player widely regarded as a top 5 all timer who makes everyone around him dramatically better actually made him...worse?

Except for 16 when Kyrie was hurt, Love's numbers were generally worse, often much worse, in all of those years and he wasn't top 10 in anything. And yes he's playing 3rd banana, but Chris Bosh regularly DID finish top 10 while playing that role in Miami.

You also may have misunderstood me, I don't think they'll be the 7th and 8th best players on the court against GS (they'll be like, 5th and 7th probably, Lebron Durant Curry Green Kyrie Thompson Love, you could reasonably argue for Kyrie and Love to each move up a spot). I was talking about the goofball hypothetical of the Cavs vs a team made of the best players on all the other teams in the East.

One for one swap Kyrie for the other top PGs in the East, and Boston, Washington, and Toronto get worse, Charlotte and Miami probably don't even budge. In the same exchange, Love would actually be a good fit some other places. He might even improve Atlanta, although I think Millsap would improve Cleveland too. It's a terrible conference for PFs though, the top guys are Love, Millsap, Ibaka, and...Porzingis? Horford, George, Giannis, and Lebron in short minute lineups? Marvin Williams? Aaron Gordon? gently caress.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That's just always been Danny though, he's not broken per se. It's just part of the package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98DoM7tXL7Q

But he used to shoot >40% from 3 on like 5 attempts a game for 2-3 seasons. He may have been streaky but the cold streaks didn't seem to last as long or get as cold.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

Except for 16 when Kyrie was hurt, Love's numbers were generally worse, often much worse, in all of those years and he wasn't top 10 in anything. And yes he's playing 3rd banana, but Chris Bosh regularly DID finish top 10 while playing \

Bosh and Love's WS/48 averages are essentially identical playing next to Lebron. The idea that playing as the 3rd option doesn't affect your numbers is probably not a very smart thing to say.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Bosh and Love's WS/48 averages are essentially identical playing next to Lebron. The idea that playing as the 3rd option doesn't affect your numbers is probably not a very smart thing to say.

It clearly does. I just mean it's not impossible to still put up top numbers compared to the competition while in that role. I think that Kevin Love has done very well, but not as well as Bosh or, say, Ray Allen as a 3rd option relative to the competition in his conference in the time he has been in Cleveland. Bosh was also a more effective and critical defensive component of the Miami scheme which I think is underrepresented in these kind of numbers, but that's not really here nor there. My point was just that, like Kyrie, there's no statistical grounds for Love as a top 10 player in the East. You have to go full eye test and narrative. It's notable that other third options (Otto Porter this year and Jonas Valanciunas last year) have had stronger years on worse teams in the same period.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It is weird to me that his fg% has gone down since he was in Minnesota, even though he is taking a comparable number of threes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chunkles posted:

It is weird to me that his fg% has gone down since he was in Minnesota, even though he is taking a comparable number of threes.

Well, comparable number of 3s but his total FGA is down, so a higher percentage of his shots are from 3. Of course his FG% will go down if he stops taking as many 2s. His TS% is pretty steady.

He used to operate in the lane a lot more. Cleveland's offense spreads a lot more and doesn't have guys operating that low. Love's inside game is not used much with Cleveland, and he was pretty elite down low. That's just a function of having the weapons they have.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You still see Love in the post when they switch on Lebron, that's an underrated reason why most teams that go small to beat the Cavs don't succeed as much. Love being guarded by Smart or Bradly downlow was just a lion mauling a gazelle at times.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chunkles posted:

His true shooting is about the same as it was before. The absolute declines for Bosh and Love as third wheels to Lebron and Wade/Irving are eerily similar. Bosh in the 5 years prior to going to Miami was at .178WS/48 player, 23.3 PER, 2.7 BPM, 15.7 VORP, .582 TS. Love in Minny was .189, 23.2, 3.6, 16.9, .566 TS. In Miami Bosh went to .168, 19.4, .6 (what the heck?), 6.3, .578 TS while Lebron was there, and in Cleveland Love as gone .166, 19.6, 1.8, 6.5, .562TS. Love's decline has been slightly greater but he was a slightly more productive player to start with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is good
http://nbacatwatch.com/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

You're out of your mind. Kyrie and Love are not even top 10 players in the East.

They're hiding their true power levels under direct orders from LBJ. Look at Kevin Love's numbers from the Timberwolves years. Love had nearly 15 WS a few years back (MVP level). Love's also capable of doing 30/30 games. He's coasting hard on CLE. He scored nearly forty points in a quarter earlier this year and then relaxed on the bench for the rest of the game. Kyrie was one of the best scorers two years back. He's also dialed it back some.

Last night LBJ commanded Kyrie to go out and score 40+ and he did, efficiently. If Kyrie didn't show up big last year in the finals the Cavaliers don't win.

DeimosRising posted:

In this insane and pointless hypothetical, they're gonna be the like, seventh and eighth best guys on the court. The Cavs are in all likelihood about to get walloped by a team that only has 4 all stars, not 12.

An eastern all-star is not equal to a western all-star in recent years. Peak Durant/Curry are better than anyone else in the east outside of LBJ. It's going to take more than run-of-the-mill east all-stars like Whiteside and Embiid to defeat the Cavaliers.

DeimosRising posted:

Not everything can be boiled down to stats. Kyrie is an insane acrobat, which rules and can't be quantified. He has a sick crossover and ball fakes, which rule and can't be quantified. He plays like an And 1 guy, except he doesn't dunk which sucks and can be quantified. He has unshakable swagger and will take any bailout or go ahead shot without flinching which has real value and is difficult to quantify.

Top Finals GmSc 1978-2016:
code:
GmSc	Player			Year
185.5	LeBron James	 	2016
183.3	Shaquille O'Neal	2000
177.8	Michael Jordan	 	1993
170.6	Magic Johnson		1988
169.8	Magic Johnson		1987
165.7	Larry Bird	 	1984
157.7	LeBron James	 	2013
155	Michael Jordan		1992
152.3	Dwyane Wade		2006
147.6	LeBron James		2015
147	Hakeem Olajuwon		1994
146.8	Michael Jordan		1991
145.1	Magic Johnson		1984
144.7	Tim Duncan		2003
143.3	Larry Bird		1986
140.6	Charles Barkley		1993
140.3	Michael Jordan		1997
137.2	Shaquille O'Neal	2001
137.2	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1984
136	Dwyane Wade		2011
133.7	Kyrie Irving		2016
132.3	Magic Johnson		1980
130.7	Kobe Bryant		2010
130.1	Pau Gasol		2010
129.9	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1985
129.2	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1980
128.3	Julius Erving		1980
128.2	Michael Jordan		1998
125.6	Magic Johnson		1985
Kyrie is amongst all of the giants.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LBJ playoff milestone watch:

code:
Player 		3P
Ray Allen 	385
Reggie Miller 	320
Manu Ginobili 	318
LeBron James 	315
Stephen Curry 	295

Player 		AST
Magic Johnson 	2346
John Stockton 	1839
LeBron James 	1431
Jason Kidd 	1263

Player 		STL
Scottie Pippen 	395
LeBron James 	379
Michael Jordan 	376
Magic Johnson 	358
John Stockton 	338

Player 			PTS
Michael Jordan		5987
LeBron James 		5960
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 	5762
About to become #1 in PTS and STL. Basically LBJ is Reggie Miller, Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan combined into one player.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
but whos better: lebron james or kareem abdul jabbar

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Zogo posted:

About to become #1 in PTS and STL. Basically LBJ is Reggie Miller, Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan combined into one player.

And he's pretty easy on the eyes too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/867421544896712704

Derrick Rose is Hot Hot Hot

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

got some chores tonight posted:

but whos better: lebron james or kareem abdul jabbar

Lebron. At this point I think he passes Jordan soon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Pretty insane Curry is already #5 in playoff 3's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/patrickredford/status/867533416664768512

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Pretty insane Curry is already #5 in playoff 3's.

Who is #1?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Classic JaVale documenting his life of crime on instagram

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

rickys gone

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
^^^ how big is that cat?

I was going off Zogo's stats above- Ray, Reggie, Manu, Lebron, Steph. But Steph's only had like what 12 full playoff series?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thibs will not be satisfied until rose's knee is completely disintegrated

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Why the gently caress would anyone be "targeting" Derrick Rose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Libertine posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone be "targeting" Derrick Rose?

for murder

• Locked thread