Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xander77 posted:

Can land-based enemies swim, or do they die on contact with water?

Could be wrong on this, but I believe most die upon reaching deep water. If they can stand in the water, they should still live.

This is based on the numerous times I try to punt Stalkoblin skulls into the ocean. If it's not far enough away, they'll roll back to their (or someone else's) body. Far enough in though and the skull dies.

Glazius posted:

Do Bokoblins deal more damage based on what kind of weapon they're holding when they get tossed at you, or is it more of a fixed value based perhaps on skull impact?

Good question, and one I don't actually know the answer to! I'll have to look in on that one later.

Update should be in a couple hours hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

This is based on the numerous times I try to punt Stalkoblin skulls into the ocean. If it's not far enough away, they'll roll back to their (or someone else's) body. Far enough in though and the skull dies.

Science is fun. Establish a hypothesis and test it. No matter if you're right or wrong, things end up under water so you can just lie and say they died on contact.

The ocean killed them, not you.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
"Hello person riding a horse I literally have to crane my neck to see the ears of, have you heard about the giant horse? Golly, I'd sure love to see that big ol horse, I wonder where it could be..."

Also I don't know how many letters we get but I vote a future horse be named Sleipnir.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is a cool thing, though it requires upgrading the armor sets before you can get the bonus effects. It'd also help if we had more armor beyond a fish hat and our tourist shirt.

In order to get to Eventide Island, we have to cross the ocean. There are many ways to do it: Paraglide from a nearby peak, sail a raft, swimming while stuffing your gullet with stamina recovery foods, create a flying machine...but I just end up opting for good ol' Cryosis.

It's also nice because there's a couple chests along the way to pick up some free stuff. Nothing too exciting though.

A few enemies here and there, nothing we can't evade though.

After a couple minutes, we finally reach the destination we've been heading toward: Eventide Island.

A warm welcome awaits us.

I present you with a challenge. In your travels, you've relied on the equipment you've found along the way.

-----

Even in a game with as much diverse content as Breath of the Wild, Eventide Island stands out as one of the high points. It takes away all the cool items and armor you've gotten so far and pretty much forces you back at square one. In a way, it's a test of everything you've learned, forcing you to rely on your skills and wits to survive this ordeal.

It really works best finding it mid-game. Late game, you'll have enough extra hearts and other powers to make this a breeze. Too early and it can be pretty difficult since one dumb move can end things. And considering you cannot save during this quest and thus must get all three orbs in one go or completely start over...

Yeah, this one took me a few tries. I still like Eventide, though!

It's really not all that bad, as there's still plenty of weapons and a few shields scattered around. You just have to be more resourceful and careful than you may be accustomed to.

Also, you still have your runes available. Magnesis and Bombs will be handy for the first bit before you get some decent weapons.

Keeping track of your environment is more important than ever. One missed detail could be lights out for you.

Luckily a naked Link can survive a explosion with minimal injuries.

There's a trio of Bokoblins near the beach. They're usually good candidates to go first since they're surrounded by a lot of loot, including some much-needed food.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u16/021.mp4

Also maybe it's just me, but thunderstorms occur more often here than you'd usually see.

That little island is actually a platform. We need to find three balls and place them in the three platforms on the main island.

In the background in the top of the image is a new enemy type, the Fire Chuchu.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u16/027.mp4

These guys can be scary since they start a lot of fires and will burn you easily. Fortunately a large enough fire will create an updraft we can parasail with to fly to safety.

There's the usual way to deal with them, either ice attacks or wait for it to become vulnerable after it dives at you.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u16/029.mp4

This is probably the best way, though.

Another trap item. Handy if I'd ever remember to use it. At least it's an alternate way to start a fire.

Further inland is this area with a load of Mighty Bananas. If we could find a way to cook them, we'd be in business.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u16/034.mp4

Failure #1: Death by Treasure

I completely missed the treasure chest in the environment, so walking to the next tree ended up being my last step.

Oh, and when you reload you start back at the last land area you were at before travelling to Eventide, even if you save halfway in. Have fun going all the way back!

Let's try this again.

This time, since I avoided violent explosions, these spears still have fish on them.

Fish that will be very useful for recovering hearts.

Another fine get.

This time I avoid the Treasure Octorok. I'm learning!

Nearby is a bog. A weak Woodcutter's Axe and a treasure chest in the bog with some whatever in it.

Eventually we reach a Bokoblin camp. If you look closely, you'll see a glowing orange orb. Guess what we're after!

The red ones, as usual, are of no concern.

The blue one is trickier, putting up a good fight, but eventually we come out on top.

Before grabbing the orb, I want to break the barrel so I can grab whatever food goodies are inside.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u16/055.mp4

Failure #2: Death by Barrel

So apparently an Electric Chuchu was inside that barrel. I'll never open a barrel again.

So on we go. Again.

This time I use Magnesis to crush the initial Bokoblins...

...then smack the ones at the camp...

...and somehow snag the orb without dying. We're taking this one to that island platform we saw earlier.

So then it becomes a question of how we get the ball up there. Statis is possible but kinda unreliable.

I try making a ramp using this tree, but it didn't want to cooperate.

So I end up throwing the ball into the ocean (luckily it floats), using Cryosis to make a platform under it from which I can throw it onto the island.

First platform complete!

We head to the southeastern part of Eventide to scale this small mountain.

More Bokoblins, this time with some friends. Those yellow blobs are actually Electric Chuchu.

We start off with a bombing run, getting some new toys in the meantime.

Link takes some licks, but nothing fatal. Well, until...

https://b.mega64.net/botw/u16/073.mp4

Failure #3: Death by Death

So Link kills the Bokoblin, forcing it to drop the rock it was holding...right onto Link's skull, killing Link.

Freaking physics, man. That's going to be a hard death to top.

So we go back. Again.

This time I find a random bird thigh in the water. I don't know where it came from, but it's not a bad get...I guess?

https://b.mega64.net/botw/u16/078.mp4

Failure #4: Death by Boom

I mean, there is a reason Bokoblins keep exploding barrels near them so often.

So...back we go. AGAIN.

Start off finding a nice chest in the sand.

Then I bring my own boom.

I learn more from each failure. I avoid making the same mistakes. I learn to always harbor distrust for barrels. I vow to keep my distance from rocks. I will only open chests that I can slam on enemies' heads. I choose to explode less.

https://b.mega64.net/botw/u16/083.mp4

Also apparently using your tablet to move a metal chest with magnetics is scary to Bokoblins for some reason.

I clear out the camp. Again.

I prepare a nice dinner.

The first platform is complete. Again.

More things to find. Always new things to find.

Here's another thing to find. You can burn crabs alive!

See those barrels?

You can explode them.

After some light clean-up, I take over the base camp.

There's our second platform, and a cooking pot!

I make a bunch of heart-boosting food because not dying in one hit would be pretty nice.

I also make some attack-buffing food because there's something I'll want to use it on soon enough.

Our next destination is up this mountain.

Another Bokoblin camp, this time with a Moblin.

Sneakstrike is a beautiful thing.

For this one, orb and platform are in the same place. The platform's covered with a giant slab of stone, though.

Statis works wonders.

That's two! We might actually not die this time!

We know where the third platform is, so where's the third orb?

Near the beach, between the smaller mountain and the Bokoblin camp we got the first orb in, is a new enemy.

This is no ordinary enemy, though.

This guy is big. He's easy to sneak up on, and if we wanted we could simply take the orb without waking and fighting him.

Music: Hinox Battle

But we're not doing that. Because, honestly, this guy isn't so tough.

Meet the Hinox. This guy's popped up in quite a few games through the series, most famously in Link to the Past as a Dark World enemy. This is his first 3D console appearance, though, and boy does he make the most of it. The guy is huge.

Obviously, fighting head on is a fool's errand. He'd have no issue squashing up flat. We need to find a weakness.

Like, say, his giant eye.

After getting hit in the eye, the Hinox will fall over, letting us wail on him.

He also has a belt of weapons we can nab during this time.

I botch the timing, but you can distract the Hinox by shooting the beehive on him, causing a distraction with the bees.

The main reason I backtrack was to reach the fire. This Hinox has wood footguards, which makes it harder to deal damage to him when he's down. But they are wood, after all...

Now let's see some sick moves.

https://b.mega64.net/botw/u16/122.mp4

I freaking love this game.

To add a wrinkle to things, once the Hinox hits below half-health, he wisely starts to cover his eye with his hand when you aim at it. He's learning!

The Hinox also has no issue ripping up entire trees to use as a weapon. That's alright, because I'm about to finish it off. To get my best shot, I'm going to climb up to this platform and jump off...

...giving me the time to take out his eye before he has time to react...

...like so.

And that takes care of it!

The Hinox drops a lot of loot. Usually whatever weapons you didn't grab earlier, various food items, and of course Hinox parts.

And with that, we've got the last orb!

One uneventful return to this platform later, and we are finally done with Eventide Island!

This results in a rumbling at the very top of the island.

Our reward is a shrine. Which...kinda seems underwhelming after all we've been through, honestly.

-----

Still, this is one of the coolest quests in the game to do, so I'm not complaining too much.

For shrines like this, simply unlocking it is the challenge. We get a token treasure chest and our usual Spirit Orb.

This one is not too shabby, an extra 300 rupees.

And that's it for Eventide Island!

We have successfully travelled to the southeastern-most point on the map. We've certainly come a long way since we began our adventure at the Great Plateau...

...but we're far from done!

It's time to decide where we go next. This will be the usual "Nominate some choices" followed by a multi-choice vote on said choices. Kakariko Village and Hyrule Castle are both still available, of course.

So where to?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 25, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You dropped a hint on something we get by progressing the main plot, so perhaps we should actually get on with that at Kakariko Village.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We've fooled around for long enough, but I don't want to advance the plot juuuuust yet, so Search areas already mapped for Shrines to do.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
I think you should finish the southern edge of the map and Go West

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

How 'bout following the coastline up north?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Link's got plenty of cash now, why not follow up with the horse god?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AweStriker posted:

You dropped a hint on something we get by progressing the main plot, so perhaps we should actually get on with that at Kakariko Village.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Circumnavigate the entire world map, landing only on islands.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, there's another rune? Let's get that rune. Do some story.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Go to Kakariko.

The Hinox fight was much harder for me... well, much slower for me. I went straight up to the biggest guy on Prison Island and fought him. Well, after I cleared out the bokoblins on the hill that is.

There's a bit of terrain on that hill that you can trap him on, so you can just kill him by chucking bombs at him while he lobs tiny stones back.

Really really wish I had more than like 5 lousy weapons that I ended up throwing in his eye.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I agree lets progress the plot...to THE DESERT!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Head north, see what our original original destination marker has in store for us. Then continue heading north/hugging the coastline

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd say go to Kakariko first and do some plot.

Another suggestion: We've seen the southeastern-most point, let's to go the northwestern-most.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The great thing about Eventide is that they give you so many toys to play with. So the challenge isn't "guess what they want you to do" but rather making use of a vast set of tools. Lightning happens more often so you can throw metal weapons at enemies, you can just shoot the weapons/orb off the Hinox (I've heard you can glide in and grab it, but either the window for that is tiny or I was doing something wrong), they've hidden tools around corners that someone might not even recognize as tools and someone else can turn into their main leverage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Bless you for keeping track of those deaths.

Cherry-tapped by an unattended physics object was my favorite.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Why note shoot an arrow at random and follow where you shoot it?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My vote is either the horse god or Kakariko. Or one then the other, depending on how close to one another they are.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Guy Fawkes posted:

Is that the remain of the Mirror of Twilight?

In short, no

Mega64 posted:

So...back we go. AGAIN.

You know... there's a tiny little islet just before Eventide you can set as your last land coordinates. Worked for me, at least. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Why note shoot an arrow at random and follow where you shoot it?

Shoot an arrow into a wild animal and go the direction it runs

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I agree. Follow the theme.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

After all that, some rest and plot at Kakariko Village sounds good!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh god you're meant to use Cyronis to get to the island platform?

I found a boat on the eventide proper, put the orb there and then sailed the boat to the island to get it up to the platform.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bruceski posted:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hyrule Castle because what can possibly go wrong? :v:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Kakariko. It holds The Most Important Thing(s).

Thing(s) may not actually be the Most Important. Pretty snazzy, though!

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Bruceski posted:

Why ruin a good decision making theme?

Consult the beast, divine our destination.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I was convinced something horrible would happen in that shrine. The voice just sounded shady to me.

Bruceski posted:

This but hit in the head with a rock.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poll is up! Roughly 24 hours to vote before I start the next batch of gameplay. Multi-vote as usual.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

aw, no horse god option. but yeah Kakkariko would be good now. The game gets awkward if you go TOO long without progressing the plot at all.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mega64 posted:

Fortunately a large enough fire will create an updraft we can parasail with to fly to safety.

That's an amazing attention to detail.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Golux posted:

aw, no horse god option. but yeah Kakkariko would be good now. The game gets awkward if you go TOO long without progressing the plot at all.

I'll probably do Horse God next update since there's not really that much to it.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

That's an amazing attention to detail.

Wait until you get something to start fires without being chased by blob monsters

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh god you're meant to use Cyronis to get to the island platform?

I found a boat on the eventide proper, put the orb there and then sailed the boat to the island to get it up to the platform.

I believe I used an octorok baloon, though it's been a while. In this game, "supposed to" is just a suggestion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

HOLY MOLEY WE'RE DOING ACTUAL PLOT SOON

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Out plot to do literally everything except the plot has been foiled

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We'll do the animal thing next poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We've had some fun exploring a bit for the past ten updates, but now it's time to do some plot. Kakariko Village is to the north, a decent trek but not that lengthy of one.

I'll be taking the roads because there's actually a lot of useful stuff along the way, like shrines, a stable, and a rather important game mechanic you can easily miss if you travel by climbing everything (which is what I did first time I played of course).

First, though, we need to take care of one last thing.

Beedle just loooooooooves rugged rhino beetles! Can I take it off your hands?

Sure, why not.

Beedle loves beetles. Something to keep in mind!

I'll add this bad boy to my beetle collection! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Even if you leave your horse somewhere, you can go to a stable and get it back.

Beedle wasn't the one last thing. You see, we're easily over 1000 rupees now, so...

Now we're going to finally unlock the power of the horse god.

Thank you. You are too kind.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u17/017.mp4

Meet...uh...the horse god.

The music here is quite interesting, a combination of two classic Zelda songs, Epona's Theme and the Great Fairy theme.

Music: Horse God (Malanya's Theme)

And you're the one who set me free, are you not?

I suppose you deserve a reward for setting me free... What shall I do...

If a horse you love passes away from some sort of tragic, fatal accident, it is within my power to revive that horse... However... If I detect vile intent behind the death of your horse...

I only jest... Let me see...

The friendship you established with a horse really is extraordinary. Remember that such a friendship is a two-way road. Horses care for you as much as you do for them.

So that's Malanya, the Horse God. He'll revive our horses should they die. Good to have on our side!

Fortunately, both our horses are still alive, and hopefully will remain that way.

Rather than teleport to a nearby shrine, I'm going to ride Ganonhoof north from here and follow the roads. The land is uncharted past Lake Hylia, but our general sense of direction and using landmarks like the Dueling Peaks should help guide us to Kakariko.

The trek back over the bridge is uneventful.

We eventually get back to around where Link first set foot off The Great Plateau.

This odd cave has five sets of flowers, each with a number of flowers ranging from one to five.

Step over them in sequentially increasing order, and...

What a surprise.

The road branches at this point, so we'll be going east.

I feel this screenshot is worth including.

Lots of road signs to help guide us as well. There are plenty of travellers who use the roads, after all.

So on we go! You can also tell we're going the right direction because of the Dueling Peaks in the background.

Oh, what's this?

Time for another shrine.

Music: Shrine Theme

Like the other shrines close to The Great Plateau, this is pretty easy.

There are wind currents to paraglide on. This first one leads to a chest with Amber.

Next, you have to clear a pit, though a wall will helpfully stop you from overshooting the floor. There's also a return stream back if you deem it necessary.

Finally, one last stream leads to the monk. Short and simple.

Except hidden in the corner is another chest. Landing there's a bit tricky, but still little issue.

Not bad!

I wish there was more to this one, honestly. There will be more interesting wind shrines later on, at least.

The shrine was right before this bridge.

Where this random guy is standing.

We're doomed! I mean, don't panic! Sorry, who are you? Have we met? Well, doesn't matter who you are, really. I was getting tired of talking to myself, so you've come at a good time. By the by, those strange things that popped out of the ground... Did you see them?

They seem to have popped up all over the place!

You know what this means, don't you? The end is here! With all this craziness happening, I've been keeping an eye on that thing.

Not sure what he's talking about.

This one here?

No, it was a different one. That one was closer to the castle but before the forest...

Man, I was so sure that was the end for me. I was prepared for the worst. But I somehow managed to escape into the nearby woods. You think it was my lightning-fast reflexes that saved me?

Anyway, I hear Guardians like that still wander around Hyrule Castle. Be careful.

Remember when we did the Bomb Shrine and we ran across that Guardian that could easily one-shot us? Now imagine them mobile. Now imagine a bunch of them, all around Hyrule Castle.

It may be a while before we're prepared to tackle Hyrule Castle.

Brigo moves under this shelter after you talk to him the first time, due to the rain. He also has new dialogue.

First, let's ask for directions.

Kakariko Village:

Hyrule Castle:

Hyrule Castle?! I don't know how many lives you've got, but in a place with that many Guardians, I guarantee you it's not enough!

The Great Plateau:

The Great Plateau? Why would you possibly need to go to an abandoned place like that? How would you even begin to scale that cliff?

After asking for directions the first time, you can also ask what he's doing.

Just patrolling. This bridge is an important route. I keep really busy making sure monsters don't nest here by chasing them off the bridge and stuff.

Time to travel on.

Making progress!

Hm. A rock, and a hole.

Yep.

Before we reach the peaks, there's a couple of detours.

First, I hear and then see a pinwheel. This usually means stuff like this, moving targets to hit with an arrow.

Some Stalkoblins try to distract me.

But I get what I wanted.

And another.

And wouldn't you know it, this Korok led me right to our next tower.

Since this is probably the first tower most people will encounter outside the Great Plateau, this one is very easy to scale.

And now we've got a better idea of where we need to go. This tower is right at the base of the Dueling Peaks. We follow the road through and then travel north. As Brigo said, there's also a stable along this route, which will be handy.

I scout another shrine, but it's far out of our way. We'll mark it and come back later.

Further on is another traveller.

Well, if it's your tummy that's grumblin', you're talkin' to the right guy. I'm a butcher, as luck would have it! I'd be happy to sell you whatever I've got in stock.

We can buy meat off this guy. Meh. Much easier just to hunt our own.

Right, now through the peaks. And of course, along the way there's a shrine.

Crossing the river's a bit eventful, but only a bit.

These rocks hide a chest with a Traveler's Bow, which is rather outdated at this point.

Now for the shrine.

Music: Shrine Theme

This one is short, but a bit more interesting.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u17/126.mp4

Stupidity aside, stepping on the switch lowers the platform. Get the ball in the hole to take the platform to the next section. This first one is simple enough, but soon timing comes into play.

This second one, we have to get off the switch when the ball's about to hit the second platform. This resets the platforms, raising the lower one back on an incline to let the ball roll into the hole. Simple stuff.

If you accidentally let the ball drop off, another will spawn.

This last one is tricky. You pretty much have to time leaving the platform to bounce the ball into the hole.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u17/132.mp4

It takes a few tries this time, but eventually I get it.

That's the last one we need to do, but there's another chest here. We can't reach it as is.

On a seemingly unrelated note, there are metal barrels here for some reason.

Hmmmm.

Yep.

And this reward is really nice. It lets us scale mountains faster, though it doesn't affect stamina. It also looks pretty cool.

I'll be rocking this thing for the time being.

And now we're up to three orbs!

The rest of the journey is short and uneventful.

Next time, we'll visit the stable, and the shrine, and maybe finally figure out what to do with all these Korok Seeds.

Also since we're about to get four more Spirit Orbs, vote on our next upgrade.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 25, 2017

• Locked thread