Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Hard is only a few stat points difference" is a liar. The Necro dragon shrine straight up only has 1 dragon instead of two, and Boey is almost as fast as it when it was doubling Celica on hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the doubling threshold is 1, so a few stat points difference can really be it there

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RME posted:

the doubling threshold is 1, so a few stat points difference can really be it there

The lack of second necro dragon is a really big deal.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the second dragon does matter, but i just mean the doubling thing could still line up with only a few stat differences
but also the map felt like kind a check to see if you knew how invocations and seraphim worked anyways, the second dragon didn't really matter that much having both of them

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

alm does 9 damage to duma. sure he doubles but that's still not anywhere near enough to outpace the heal back to 50 thing Duma does

is there something I'm missing or do I need to grind Alm up

Put Celica next to him and watch him crit every attack, because she gives him like +30 crit or something crazy. Other characters can hurt Duma too i'm pretty sure (at least i've seen Celica do damage), even if Alm needs to do the final blow.

Also have Genny just outside Duma's range to keep using Invoke and Duma will always attack them meaning you've got all the time in the world to take him out.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Snipe the nearest cantor, call in an airstrike on the northernmost cantor (the one who is not a boss) and kill the one who is a boss with a combination of the two. If you have a Saint and a handful of magic rings then the damaging effects of the swamp can be very easily mitigated.

edit: Oddly enough this was, for me, one of the most simple and easy levels.

I'm actually done with Celica's part now. I am about to take the Last Bastion of Rigel before Rudolf himself and- Oh my God! Slayde out of loving nowhere! And he's actually gotten promoted to Gold Knight and has the stats to match! Holy poo poo! Haven't seen hide nor hair of that guy since he fled after I killed Desaix's body double (and got that sweet Dracoshield)!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if the only people that did Rudolf's chapter legit were non-grind people, because I just camped and Invoked until Rudolf came out of the castle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Put Celica next to him and watch him crit every attack, because she gives him like +30 crit or something crazy. Other characters can hurt Duma too i'm pretty sure (at least i've seen Celica do damage), even if Alm needs to do the final blow.

Also have Genny just outside Duma's range to keep using Invoke and Duma will always attack them meaning you've got all the time in the world to take him out.

Right on, I got lucky and Mae critted on her attack, causing Duma to go to 20, at which point Alm could use Scendscale to deal the finishing blow (wiht 100% accuracy!). It was a tough fight to figure out but I actually really liked this final boss, looking forward to Thabes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is probably the best final boss of the fire emblem's i've played. It's got some mean gimmicks and surprises but nothing you haven't seen before so you know what to expect, and it's got a lot of mechanics to make you keep pushing up while upsetting your momentum and forcing you to adjust which makes it real tense. I'd almost consider it too tense but I managed it in 1 go without a single unit dying and i'm pretty bad at the game, so it was probably of pretty appropriate difficulty.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah. My only real issue with it is that once you're at the very end, there's not much else for the rest of your crew to do. Putting some endlessly spawning enemies at the bottom a couple of turns in would keep the pressure up there as well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
As much as I like the localization overall, seeing "MVP and the others..." in the map summary ending scroll many many times is like nails-on-chalkboard for me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I keep twitching every time I promote a unit before it's capped. Why is it good to do that, exactly? I haven't looked at the mechanics too deeply.

I went in pretty cautiously optimistic and ended up pretty surprised. Overall, it's up there as one of my favorite Fire Emblem games. The map design is awful and Alm/Cecila are kind of boring generic 'main character' types, but with the strange choice of not having a minimap (that I could find) simpler maps might have been for the best, and Alm/Cecila aren't bad characters by any means. Overall the characters are pretty fun which came as a surprise. I expected them to mostly be cop outs because "eh, just a remake".

Single slot inventory is something I haven't decided if I like or not. Honestly my biggest complaint other than the aforementioned map design might well be that it's pretty short.

PS: Are growth rates just low in this game? I've gotten so many 1 stat level ups and apparently Mila's turnwheel won't let you re-roll stats on those.

Except Faye and Mae. Their level ups are nearly perfect. My lovely girls. :allears:

RME posted:

Is it 1 for spells too? My Kliff (man he's an okay character but that's a dumb name) has 10 speed and was hitting dudes with 9 speed but not doubling.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 25, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cuntellectual posted:

I keep twitching every time I promote a unit before it's capped. Why is it good to do that, exactly? I haven't looked at the mechanics too deeply.

It's a combination of a few factors:

a) class change stat boosts only kick in if you're below the bases for the new class. You get more stats doing it earlier!
b) the xp curve more or less expects you to be promoting at around certain points and your gains will fall off a cliff if you don't
c) growths are just low enough that it's not hugely worth slogging through point b.

Cuntellectual posted:

Is it 1 for spells too? My Kliff (man he's an okay character but that's a dumb name) has 10 speed and was hitting dudes with 9 speed but not doubling.

books have weight. Lowers your speed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cuntellectual posted:

I've got to say so far the game's not just good, I like it a lot more than Fates. The map design is awful and Alm/Cecila are kind of boring generic 'main character' types, but eh. The characters are pretty fun which came as a surprise. I expected them to mostly be cop outs because "eh, just a remake".

Single slot inventory is something I haven't decided if I like or not.

PS: Are growth rates just low in this game? I've gotten so many 1 stat level ups and apparently Mila's turnwheel won't let you re-roll stats on those.

Except Faye and Mae. Their level ups are nearly perfect. My lovely girls. :allears:

Spells, like items, have weight to them that will make the difference between doubling and not.

Also yeah growth rates are much lower in this game and it's a very good thing.

Gotta disagree with you entirely on the Alm Celica thing, I think they're very well written. Though the acting makes up for a lot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cuntellectual posted:

I've got to say so far the game's not just good, I like it a lot more than Fates. The map design is awful and Alm/Cecila are kind of boring generic 'main character' types, but eh. The characters are pretty fun which came as a surprise. I expected them to mostly be cop outs because "eh, just a remake".

Single slot inventory is something I haven't decided if I like or not.

Spells have weight. Fire has 3 for instance which means 10 speed Kliff is only going to be doubling things with 7 speed or lower.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity will characters kill themselves casting spells if you try to make them?

The Iron Rose posted:

Spells, like items, have weight to them that will make the difference between doubling and not.

Also yeah growth rates are much lower in this game and it's a very good thing.

Gotta disagree with you entirely on the Alm Celica thing, I think they're very well written. Though the acting makes up for a lot.

I was editing my post to clarify, I don't think they're bad characters or anything! Definitely a thousand times better than Corrin.

people posted:

Spells have weight.

Huh. I guess I didn't realize that because they're not items this time around.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cuntellectual posted:

Out of curiosity will characters kill themselves casting spells if you try to make them?

No, if you don't have the hp for a spell you can't cast it. This helps a lot in at least one case I can think of...

quote:

Yeah it's not well signposted.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I was editing my post to clarify, I don't think they're bad characters or anything! Definitely a thousand times better than Corrin.

Fairly sure that you can't cast spells if you don't have the HP for it. Enemies certainly don't.

It's actually a bit of a shame, you could do some interesting things with that on Casual mode. Alas.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

It's good to promote immediately because you're not going to reach max level at all in the game (my most used units were around level 10-15 in their final class with maybe just Alm and Celica being higher and no one hit 20 in any of their classes) and not promoting will just keep you from getting any passive abilities the new class will give you. Also, the way promoting works it just increases your stats to the class's bases and so if you wait too long to promote you'll be above the bases and you won't get anything from it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
oh my god just lost a guy on the final turn of the desert map from my own stupidity

gently caress
the
desert

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rascyc posted:

oh my god just lost a guy on the final turn of the desert map from my own stupidity

gently caress
the
desert

Turnwheel that poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't wait for the PoR remake because I just realized that Genny's Invoke is basically resigning to watching a tv show because every. single. invoke. has that slow rear end battle animation in OG gaiden.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You can turn off animations you aren't involved in in the options, makes invoke bearable.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tae posted:

I wonder if the only people that did Rudolf's chapter legit were non-grind people, because I just camped and Invoked until Rudolf came out of the castle.

He can be baited out after you aggro the two gold knights behind the stairs, I think. After which it's easy to just gang up on him.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

you definitely want to promote ASAP with the poooooosssible exception of Silque since she learns a really great invoke at level 18 and promotes at level 13 or something anyways, and doesn't gain a ton from early promotion as a healer.

Most of my units were level 5-10 in their final classes by the endgame, promoting everyone as soon as physically possible. You get very very little by waiting to promote, and a big buff from promoting quick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Exceptions to promoting immediately are Delthea who only really gains Recover by promoting and Mathilda because Gold Knight bonuses aren't that great enough to immediately promote.

Also obviously don't immediately promote Celica and Alm.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The other exception is if you want to do the post-game without buying the hilarious rip-off DLC.

Because lol at the stats on the enemies there.

(don't do the post-game)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

you definitely want to promote ASAP with the poooooosssible exception of Silque since she learns a really great invoke at level 18 and promotes at level 13 or something anyways, and doesn't gain a ton from early promotion as a healer.

Most of my units were level 5-10 in their final classes by the endgame, promoting everyone as soon as physically possible. You get very very little by waiting to promote, and a big buff from promoting quick.

she learns the invoke at like level 5 if you promote early tho, cause she sure isn't no level 18 saint on my file

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Silque still gets Invoke Dread as a Saint if you promote her before she learns it. I think at either Level 7 or 9 Saint? You can't miss spells as far as I know.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silque's invoke is worse than Genny's anyway.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hi is this normal

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

hi is this normal

Mine had the same stats but 5 less mag at level 5 Sage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ruggington posted:

hi is this normal

My Kliff as a Bow Knight had less attack but more speed and defence. Around the same in total stats though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ruggington posted:

hi is this normal

it is increidbly average yes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

it is increidbly average yes

That Kliff is +5.7 over his attack average for that level.

(Starts at 7, Mage base is 8. 11 levels at 30% growth is 3.3)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

she learns the invoke at like level 5 if you promote early tho, cause she sure isn't no level 18 saint on my file

Took till level 10 or so for her to learn it as a saint, which took till the postgame for me.

Ruggington posted:

hi is this normal

Mine had 18 defense as a level 3 sage :)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
It's weird and jarring as hell as a fire emblem fan to have cleric Faye have as much defense as my soldiers with the leather shield.

I've had her front-line things because enemies were doing 1 damage to her right after she class changed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cuntellectual posted:

Kliff is a German name and is in fact very good.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

My Blitzkrieg strategy for Act 2 so far greatly depends on facetanking with Mae and Boey and I find this very amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Could Genny's invokes solo missions on hard? I don't remember them being that powerful that the first Cantor mission, he got destroyed easily without me moving a foot.

• Locked thread