Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bryter posted:

They should bring back the Newsroom now that the news is so dumb. Would be a much better show if it was about them deciding whether a story about Trump calling Ratko Mladic a great guy is real or whatever

it'd be impossible because Sorkin would blow his was with the first episode being his heroic square jawed news man shaming Trump into resigning and making Hillary president by angrily repeating "HAVE YOU NO SHAME, SIR?!" into the camera for 20 uninterrupted minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

A union dumber than the police union.

Esports players have ridiculously long days and almost never have opportunities to be at home due to travel.

Plus, big money (Mark Cuban among them) has started to notice the scene, and It's only a matter of time before it turns entirely towards the owners favor.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Wow.

Newsroom seems terrible. How did anyone like this?
Most people didn't. I'm not going to look up the old threads, but I remember the first season had a lot of people dumping all over it. And I'm not entirely certain, but I'm pretty sure my dumbfuck self was was praising it. So to answer your question; the people that did were dumbfucks.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grondoth posted:

Wow.

https://twitter.com/youngpope69/status/867184051031080960
https://twitter.com/youngpope69/status/867184371819851776

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Did *anyone* think Newsroom was good? Like I know libs fawn over the West Wing but does anyone even give a poo poo about the Newsroom anymore except to poo poo on it?

All I know about the newsroom is that loving clip of the guy from dumb and dumber talking about how bad the USA is in some college talk or some poo poo. The most annoying video of all time, constantly shared for years between my facebook friends (especially between my mexican friends in the states)

What episode do they even talk about the newsroom?

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 24, 2017

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gorn Myson posted:

Most people didn't. I'm not going to look up the old threads, but I remember the first season had a lot of people dumping all over it. And I'm not entirely certain, but I'm pretty sure my dumbfuck self was was praising it. So to answer your question; the people that did were dumbfucks.

Yeah all the big TV websites ran middling at best reviews from the start. They had to deal with Sorkin's love of coming in to their comment sections and forums in person and posting about how dumb they all are, so they were not so forgiving.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

All I know about the newsroom is that loving clip of the guy from dumb and dumber talking about how bad the USA is in some college talk or some poo poo. The most annoying video of all time, constantly shared for years between my facebook friends (especially between my mexican friends in the states)

What episode do they even talk abotu the newsroom?

Several first season episodes and a couple from the last one.

Serf
May 5, 2011

if esports players start unionizing i will start drinking again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Serf posted:

if esports players start unionizing i will start drinking again
esports players wouldn't have started unionizing if you hadn't stopped drinking

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm still hoping someone can summarize some of the most egregious things of the show, like that last episode that was particularly bad?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
the only thing i know about the newsroom was this video someone posted in this thread a while ago and boy is it a doozy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95qHOmoUXs

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Wow.

I liked it only because I was furiously masturbating to Emily Mortimer the whole time. The helpless exasperation really does it for me.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

The only good thing about the show is when they played "That's how I got to Memphis", I like Daniels' voice (he's A NEWSSSSSSMANNNNN, after all). And when the blonde pixie girl's roommate takes a giant dump on her.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What's really impressive about the Newsroom is that it somehow managed to get worse over time, right up to the awful ending.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ron Jeremy posted:

I liked it only because I was furiously masturbating to Emily Mortimer the whole time. The helpless exasperation really does it for me.

good evening mr president, how's rome

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/862157908607369216

Also re:Giordano
https://twitter.com/ellen_progress/status/867444907790782464

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 24, 2017

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Quick question: The guys have referenced articles from Current Affairs magazine a few times. Looked at a bunch of the articles on their site and I quite liked most of them, but subscriptions are loving $60 for 4 issues, compared to half that for stuff like jacobin or baffler. Is Current Affairs worth it?

Ron Jeremy posted:

If nothing else Sorkin does seem to have a least one female character who's a dime on each of his shows.

Pretty sure that's like the 4th time that MGS podcast has been posted ITT.

Still a good listen though.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I like Current Affairs a lot and look forward to it more than most of the dumb politics bullshit that I pay to have sent to my home (and a sub is $60/6, not 4) but a lot of the best stuff ends up online before too long with no pay wall. So you kinda just have to look at the front page of the site and go "would I pay $10 for a really stylish physical magazine that included all of this stuff a month ago?" and follow your heart from there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

I'm still hoping someone can summarize some of the most egregious things of the show, like that last episode that was particularly bad?

I mean the Chapo crew basically summed it up. It's an entire show about how the news should've been reported, as written by a hack who can only write one very specific type of character--the smug middle-aged liberal male who memorizes facts and constantly uses them to own people with impenetrable logic. Also every female character is a complete ditz. And it had a ghost dad in the last season, which sadly I never made it to because I was so done by the end of season 2.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Does most of it really end up online? I remember that almost every article I read on there seemed to have been written by their editor in chief. I'd been figuring that he posted most of his own stuff online and then just threw up articles from other writers on occasion. I dunno, I'll have to look on there again.

But your way of putting it, $10 for a pretty solid magazine, does kind of make it sound more appealing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
See if your closest public library stocks it and go check out an issue as a test drive.

I used to spend hours in the periodicals section of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Did *anyone* think Newsroom was good? Like I know libs fawn over the West Wing but does anyone even give a poo poo about the Newsroom anymore except to poo poo on it?

Quentin Tarantino said

quote:

Now, the HBO show I loved was Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom. That was the only show that I literally watched three times. I would watch it at seven o’clock on Sunday, when the new one would come on. Then after it was over, I’d watch it all over again. Then I would usually end up watching it once during the week, just so I could listen to the dialogue one more time.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Lol that close race in Montana is about to widen a bit. The Republican, Gianforte, was confronted by a Guardian reporter on the fact that he has 250k in SANCTIONED RUSSIAN STOCK, AN ILLEGAL THING, and so he bodyslammed the reporter. Audio, video, witnesses, all of it.

edit: Only audio so far, I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoH4v8xYlU

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 25, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I like that the Montana Republicans somehow nominated @NYCGuidoVoice for Congress

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

See if your closest public library stocks it and go check out an issue as a test drive.

I used to spend hours in the periodicals section of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

That was my first thought and I tried it all over. Public library didn't, university library didn't either. Thankfully I'm heading to D.C. for a few days. Given that it's literally based in that city I'm almost certain to find a copy of the latest issue if I look a bit.

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Lol that close race in Montana is about to widen a bit. The Republican, Gianforte, was confronted by a Guardian reporter on the fact that he has 250k in SANCTIONED RUSSIAN STOCK, AN ILLEGAL THING, and so he bodyslammed the reporter. Audio, video, witnesses, all of it.

edit: Only audio so far, I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoH4v8xYlU

and here's Gianforte's campaign statement lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the existence of a pro gamer unions rules and shouldnt be pooh-poohed

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

the existence of a pro gamer unions rules and shouldnt be pooh-poohed

don't get me wrong, i'm all for it. doesn't stop it from being funny

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Everyone should be unionised except for cops.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Does most of it really end up online? I remember that almost every article I read on there seemed to have been written by their editor in chief. I'd been figuring that he posted most of his own stuff online and then just threw up articles from other writers on occasion. I dunno, I'll have to look on there again.

But your way of putting it, $10 for a pretty solid magazine, does kind of make it sound more appealing.

Yeah after flipping through the latest issue I'm exaggerating a bit, there was more good print-exclusive stuff than I remembered off the top of my head.
I think seeing if you can find a copy out in the wild at a library or a bookstore or something is good advice. It's a good magazine but whether the price is right is gonna vary person to person I think.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Speaking of which, I did a long OP on periodicals in D&D a long time ago. Thread is still open but idle.

The New Goon: On Periodicals

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

Esports players have ridiculously long days and almost never have opportunities to be at home due to travel.

Plus, big money (Mark Cuban among them) has started to notice the scene, and It's only a matter of time before it turns entirely towards the owners favor.

its already happening. a major chinese dota team (they won the dota equivalent of the super bowl a few years ago) disbanded recently and it came out that they did it because their managers werent paying them

now they cant play any esport ever again because the chinese governing body for that sort of thing suspended them for violating their contract

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 25, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Much like the Youtube and initial Twitch wave, professional esports is a losing proposition as a career. Bunch of people destroying their hands 80+ hours a week to make maybe 15 or 20k a year?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm glad that my nerd pursuits are posting and theater and not gaming

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Apoplexy posted:

Someone please do a quick write-up of what is being talked about for those of us who haven't watched The Newsroom. :(

little late to respond here, but from memory the last ep is the infamous sorority rape episode, where a dude lectures a girl about how we have a responsibility to believe that accused rapist is innocent because burden of proof, innocent until proven guilty or something (entirely misinterpreted ofc)

it was loving disgusting

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean the Chapo crew basically summed it up. It's an entire show about how the news should've been reported, as written by a hack who can only write one very specific type of character--the smug middle-aged liberal male who memorizes facts and constantly uses them to own people with impenetrable logic. Also every female character is a complete ditz. And it had a ghost dad in the last season, which sadly I never made it to because I was so done by the end of season 2.

the whole plot concession where it ran a year or two behind so that aaron sorkin could always have the correct take was perfect. I think I checked out from boredom like half a season in. a friend of mine who loved both convinced me to try the west wing after that, and yeah, it was positively good compared to the newsroom so I watched like 6 seasons

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
like if you approach west wing as a political fantasy show of sorts it's not like TERRIBLE, though I checked out pretty early on because it's just kind of the same thing over and over

those lanyards that form their entire identity around it though, geez, you know that poo poo ain't real right

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

cat doter posted:

like if you approach west wing as a political fantasy show of sorts it's not like TERRIBLE, though I checked out pretty early on because it's just kind of the same thing over and over

those lanyards that form their entire identity around it though, geez, you know that poo poo ain't real right

If you want political fantasy just watch Parks & Rec.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Phone posted:

Much like the Youtube and initial Twitch wave, professional esports is a losing proposition as a career. Bunch of people destroying their hands 80+ hours a week to make maybe 15 or 20k a year?

Yeah it's not worth doing unless you can get signed by a decent team. I think the going rate is about 5k a month salary.

Edit: problem is, dumb tweens see guys around their age winning hundreds of thousands of dollars and want to drop out of high-school

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah it's not worth doing unless you can get signed by a decent team. I think the going rate is about 5k a month salary.

And as contractors, too, right?