Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly you're a black police officer.

Making the protagonist a Good Cop would be one of the easiest ways to gently caress up the potential of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Your partner is gonna have dirt on the group to FINALLY take them down but you get lured into a trap. Your partner dies, the evidence is destroyed/stolen and you're blamed making you a wanted cop.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

flatluigi posted:

Making the protagonist a Good Cop would be one of the easiest ways to gently caress up the potential of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's true

How's that?

I don't think a game where a police officer stealthily murders a bunch of poor rural religious nuts is exactly looking for rich social commentary.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

flatluigi posted:

if you think the protagonists of far cry games are "good" anything I think you missed some pretty significant themes

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The fact that your character in FC4 got railroaded into supporting a drug lord or a regressive theologian was pretty lovely, and they handled it about as badly as possible.

Being as straightforwardly good versus evil as possible would be the best choice for Ubisoft considering their inept storytelling.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:55 on May 24, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

"How do you do, fellow criminals?"

I would've used 'ne'er do wells'

Far Cry is not a series I'm very familiar with but IMO a morality system in that makes about as much sense as having one in Minecraft.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Far Cry 2 and 3 were straightforward self-centered survival stories. The entire series has kinda been focused around that.

Far Cry 4 has you intruding on a civil war in order to finish a personal pilgrimage, and you have to choose which leader of the Good Guy Team you want to win, only it turns out Both Sides Are Bad.

The game doesn't in any way bother to address the fact that you're casting your lot with gross shitheads for personal gain, because your enemies, the Not Northern Koreans, are also bad. It's really tactless and dumb. Thankfully the game is still good Far Cry stuff.

e: Also whether or not you side with Amita or Sabal gives you different missions, but their missions are not internally consistent. It's not like one path is the stealth path and the other is the combat path. It's literally asking you to make the dumbest moral choice in gaming.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 00:12 on May 25, 2017

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RyokoTK posted:

Far Cry 2 and 3 were straightforward self-centered survival stories. The entire series has kinda been focused around that.

Far Cry 4 has you intruding on a civil war in order to finish a personal pilgrimage, and you have to choose which leader of the Good Guy Team you want to win, only it turns out Both Sides Are Bad.

The game doesn't in any way bother to address the fact that you're casting your lot with gross shitheads for personal gain, because your enemies, the Not Northern Koreans, are also bad. It's really tactless and dumb. Thankfully the game is still good Far Cry stuff.

e: Also whether or not you side with Amita or Sabal gives you different missions, but their missions are not internally consistent. It's not like one path is the stealth path and the other is the combat path. It's literally asking you to make the dumbest moral choice in gaming.

Alternatively, you can just wait 15 minutes at the beginning of the game like a considerate loving houseguest and Pagan Min comes back and resolves your entire personal journey immediately and with no enmity whatsoever. Far Cry 4's "dumb moral choice" hinges entirely on the protagonist succumbing to video game logic and antagonizing the first person in the game who shows them genuine hospitality.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
^^ yeah that is actually a PYF little thing about Far Cry 4.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

a game where a police officer murders a bunch of poor rural religious nuts

GOTY

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

a game where [you] stealthily murder a bunch of poor rural religious nuts

...sounds loving great?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RyokoTK posted:

The fact that your character in FC4 got railroaded into supporting a drug lord or a regressive theologian was pretty lovely, and they handled it about as badly as possible.

The scene you can see after you beat the game is just as dumb. Whoever you side with will turn into a monster by the end in one way or another, and after the final mission you can visit them for one last cutscene. If it's Sabal, he's a self-absorbed religious nut about to take a child bride for himself, and if it's Amita she's turned into an opiate drug lord. They've both clearly become villains and treat you like poo poo, even though you've spent the entire game winning their civil war for them single-handedly.

After the cutscene you can just kill them as they're walking away, and either one will have had it coming if you do. They ragdoll to the ground like any other generic enemy being killed and the game doesn't acknowledge it at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pastry of the Year posted:

...sounds loving great?

Oh for sure, I'm just saying moral ambiguity is not something I'm looking for while I'm doing that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, why can't the Far Cry series go back to grounded, apolitical stories about white Americans murdering thousands of brown people with bazookas and machine guns while wrapping themselves in the totems of the culture they're actively fighting against.

Really, unless Far Cry 5 is about an African immigrant murdering his way through Montana with the spiritual guidance of apple pie, baseball, and pit bulls it's still going to be toned down compared to every other entry since Ubisoft took over the franchise.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I had lots of fun in RE5 murdering lots of black people and I look forward to FC5 murdering lots of white people.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, why can't the Far Cry series go back to grounded, apolitical stories about white Americans murdering thousands of brown people with bazookas and machine guns while wrapping themselves in the totems of the culture they're actively fighting against.

lol good point, idiot, that's p much what I was getting at

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I honestly just hope they change up the weapons and assets. Far Cry 4 literally didn't change any weapons, animals, or assets.

I swear if I see a Bengal tiger in Montana I'm getting a refund.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TontoCorazon posted:

I honestly just hope they change up the weapons and assets. Far Cry 4 literally didn't change any weapons, animals, or assets.

They'll make it a standard mountain lion. Probablem solved

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I hope they have exactly one as a dude's exotic pet and it's just the same tiger from FC3.

You know it's gonna have all the same guns though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the same engine too.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

TontoCorazon posted:

A traveling circus experiences a breakout and that's why you're destroying moonshine convoys with an elephant.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RyokoTK posted:

I hope they have exactly one as a dude's exotic pet and it's just the same tiger from FC3.

You know it's gonna have all the same guns though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the same engine too.

All the FarCry games since 2 on have been running on the Dunia engine (which is a heavily modified CryEngine 1). FarCry 5 has been announced to use CryEngine (version not specified, but it's likely to be CE5).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

A traveling circus experiences a breakout and that's why you're destroying moonshine convoys with an elephant.

Alright I'm back in

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Uh, wrong thread.. Oops

Sininu has a new favorite as of 03:09 on May 25, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just finished the last boss of Persona 5 and while the last dungeon was unnecessary pretty much everything from hitting the boss at the bottom to the point where you wreck his poo poo for real, was fantastic. There's a point where the party seemingly gets erased from existence but instead wakes up in the velvet room. Igor orders your execution but Joker says gently caress that poo poo and you find out he's an imposter. There's then a scene where he goes up to each party member and tells them "Break times over." rallying everyone for one last push at deicide. And in true Persona fashion his first persona shows up and evolves only it turns into a gigantic gently caress off trickster god who whips out a gun and shoots a god execution style in the loving face :black101:

Now I can only hope we get a teaster of either Philemon or Igor contacting P4MC and P5MC about how he's putting a team together and we get a game about wrecking all the gods leaving mankind alone on Earth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are we all assuming that the weirdo cult are the antagonists? I mean, in both Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 you threw your lot in with the cultists.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Far Cry 3 and 4 put the bad guy on the cover.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I want to play through Far Cry 5 as the main character from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Len posted:

Just finished the last boss of Persona 5 and while the last dungeon was unnecessary pretty much everything from hitting the boss at the bottom to the point where you wreck his poo poo for real, was fantastic. There's a point where the party seemingly gets erased from existence but instead wakes up in the velvet room. Igor orders your execution but Joker says gently caress that poo poo and you find out he's an imposter. There's then a scene where he goes up to each party member and tells them "Break times over." rallying everyone for one last push at deicide. And in true Persona fashion his first persona shows up and evolves only it turns into a gigantic gently caress off trickster god who whips out a gun and shoots a god execution style in the loving face :black101:

Now I can only hope we get a teaster of either Philemon or Igor contacting P4MC and P5MC about how he's putting a team together and we get a game about wrecking all the gods leaving mankind alone on Earth.

This is the most anime thing I've read in a long time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

My favourite part is how, when the game first came out, everyone was complaining about how Igor's voice sounded too weird, that it was strange that they changed it, all that stuff. Then it's revealed that this is actually a plot point all along - I grinned like an idiot when the real Igor showed up and his voice was exactly like I remembered it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Uncharted 4

I really like how set pieces aren't just for plot, but as mundane tasks where you're being Drake. The scuba part in the intro was a chill way to introduce his new low stakes life as a working man. The winch on the jeep was an interesting way to gamify traveling, where it's usually boring in other games to get from point A to B.

I'm really impressed with all the animations they put into the jeep as well. If you enter it from passenger side Sully will press against his seat to give Drake room to pass over him.

The new platforming gimmick in the game is a grappling hook. It reminded me of those PS2 Tomb Raider games that had wall running but this game looks like it put a lot of thought to create some complicated jumping puzzles.

The puzzles are pretty novel in this game. One involves you matching sigils with their owners and then matching up contiguous markings. The cool thing is rather than using your own scrap paper to figure the puzzle out, you can open up Drake's journal and work the puzzle in there before committing to the real thing.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I really need to switch it back to the english voice, since I'm getting into endgame.

But, gently caress, I cannot stand Haru's english voice at all whatsoever. It's the absolute worst.

I guess that's a favorite little thing - being able to switch it away from really bad dubbing in a language I understand to a language that I can't differentiate from "bad" or "good".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So it turned out Prey 2 was originally going to have a wonderfully dickish quest in its story, before getting cancelled.

quote:

It turns out that Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi, the reluctant hero of Prey, was intended to play a much larger role in Prey 2 than it appeared when the game was first announced. The two of them would eventually meet up and work together to take down the game's real villains. But it's revealed near the end of the game that every time Samuels dies, he'd reawaken in his apartment on Exodus, apparently none the worse for wear but with no memory of his death and reincarnation.

This is because each time he died, his consciousness would be transferred into a new clone (source unknown but, from the sounds of it, somehow connected to Tommy), leaving him with no memory of the experience—something that happened literally hundreds of times during his ten years on Exodus. The true extent of this process would be made clear during the final attack on the bad guys, when he'd enter a room filled with dozens of dead clones—evidence of his past efforts, and repeated failures, to bring them down.

But the real twist is that when all was said and done, Samuels would eventually get back to Earth, where he'd live a long and happy live, raise a family, and eventually die peacefully, surrounded by his loved ones—only to awaken in his apartment on Exodus, in a new clone body.

:laffo:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

So it turned out Prey 2 was originally going to have a wonderfully dickish quest in its story, before getting cancelled.

:laffo:

Holy poo poo, that is goddamn amazing and the best combination of FPS resurrection mechanics and story that I've seen.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Holy poo poo, that is goddamn amazing and the best combination of FPS resurrection mechanics and story that I've seen.
I wonder if anyone has role-played a game like that - treating every death as a memory and trying to figure out what is going on and why they're stuck in a time loop

Although I guess that's basically what Bloodsouls/Soulsbourne games are?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if anyone has role-played a game like that - treating every death as a memory and trying to figure out what is going on and why they're stuck in a time loop

Although I guess that's basically what Bloodsouls/Soulsbourne games are?

In the old PNP Paranoia game, you played the first of six clones. Every time you died, you just incremented the number until you were done. Your other clones did menial labor and kept tabs on you remotely while you were out adventuring.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bioshock Infinite had you respawn as alternative universe versions of yourself.

Like everything in that game it was garbage and handled in the most boring way imaginable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The ps2 game Baroque did some interesting stuff with that.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bioshock Infinite had you respawn as alternative universe versions of yourself.

Like everything in that game it was garbage and handled in the most boring way imaginable.

Your alternate reality selves always had slightly less money in their pocket.

Edit: I'm just starting my third run on Nier Automata and that game has a clever way of incorporating death mechanics with your body just being a tool and your memories are just uploaded into a new body when you get killed. They also frame things like brightness and audio levels as how your body has been calibrated.

Sad lions has a new favorite as of 00:31 on May 26, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The ps2 game Baroque did some interesting stuff with that.

Unfortunately Baroque was impenetrable garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RyokoTK posted:

Unfortunately Baroque was impenetrable garbage.

Oh absolutely no question.