Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

harperdc posted:

Finally IndyCar will be back to glory because the overhead airbox will be gone from turbocharged cars. All praise.

Worthy of the next page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CART cars looked far better than F1 cars in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah definitely.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate the drop wings. Attached to the nose wings are the best

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Drop noses on pylons can be cool, like the B02/00 Lola. It's just that high-noses are less attractive.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Could be even worse though

Dick noses

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's a travesty we never got to see the Reynard, Lola, Swift or hell, the Eagle 987 run Indy.

I wonder how fast the Penske Reynard Honda would have ran around Indianapolis.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 2000 Penyard-Honda would have definitely smashed Arie's record.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just watched Tracy plow into Junqueria exiting his pit box during Portland 2001, destroying both of their races and Bruno's car.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Tracy skewering Alex Tagliani in San Jose and then casually ignoring Tag seeking an explanation then getting into a fight is a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSmHN_JMiDY

"Oh, let's cut away from this fight so we can see the McDonalds car taking a pit stop!"

Classic ChampCar era television, that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This Portland race is a farce.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

This Portland race is a farce.

Portland was the best because Father's Day Weekend has always been a crap shoot - either wonderful sunshine or pouring rain. And sometimes both the same day!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Max Wilson came fourth which was cool. And it's always good when Papis wins.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Finally IndyCar will be back to glory because the overhead airbox will be gone from turbocharged cars. All praise.

Speedway kit looks sleek and fast, and I like the swept rear wing on the road course package too. Looks great all around. Here's hoping we get a new engine manufacturer in soon too.

I think this is a uniquely American thing. To the rest of the world no-airbox is either a 1970s or cheap. To me that render looks like something you'd seen in a BTCC support race.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I think this is a uniquely American thing. To the rest of the world no-airbox is either a 1970s or cheap. To me that render looks like something you'd seen in a BTCC support race.

I would say it is just iconic and visually distinct for IndyCar, because until The Split (and until CCWS went boom) the turbo cars had developed without airboxes.

...at least they aren't rocking F3 side intakes!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My suite tomorrow includes a tour of the Penske garage by Helio's wife, and all the drivers will be there too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dudley posted:

MP4/4 says hi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

F1 cars did not have airboxes for almost a decade.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like cars with and without airboxes

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The late 80s-early90s NA F1 cars usually had them and they all looked good.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Ganassi-Target from 96-97 was awesome

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

The Ganassi-Target from 96-97 was awesome

RIP Target car

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NWS is still holding at 50% rain, but they haven't gone into the detailed forecast yet, so we don't know when they think it'll happen.

Mostly cloudy though should help keep the track temp down a bit though.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So Media Day is today, if anyone has any questions they want answered by a certain driver (and won't get me in trouble) post itt or pm me and I'll try to get some answers

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Find out what the taco bell order would have been

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Asked Alonso if he was shocked at how fat midwestern Americans are.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Norns posted:

Find out what the taco bell order would have been

Already on my list

gret posted:

Asked Alonso if he was shocked at how fat midwestern Americans are.

I'm from the Midwest and I'm not fat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

So Media Day is today, if anyone has any questions they want answered by a certain driver (and won't get me in trouble) post itt or pm me and I'll try to get some answers

For Alonso: "The oddest thing you've encountered in the past couple of weeks".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

IndyCar's site has a bunch of new speedway renders too that arent in that tweet. Looks like the whole car essentially will be identical between speedway and road course, will save the crews a lot of heart ache. Although it looks like they will make the teams buy a separate floor for the speedway car, thats strange.

OK, finally remembered to respond to this post at home (was at work on phone, effort posts on phone suck rear end), but if I remember right, the floor was part of the problem as to why Phoenix was bad, so it doesn't surprise me that they're going two different floors.

Or at least, one floor that's modular depending on the track.

McMadCow posted:

What a world we're living in that Indycars look more futuristic than the current F1 formula. :psyduck:

Also so much cleaner, though the rear wing definitely feels like it could be picked up and stuck on an F1 car (but no shark fin needed because no airbox!). All the extra aerobits on F1 cars are just... "How did it get to this?!" I mean, I understand CAD is pretty much why it gets so complex, because you need the air to flow a certain way for a certain purpose, and the computer can design pieces to do just that. The end result is the insanely complex front wings, barge boards, and other pieces.

Or, to quote another mod that likes racing:

quote:

Gigi Galli: It's funny, it's like the graphical frame of an F1 car before it fully loads the texture map of all the tiny aero bits
Gigi Galli: looks so much nicer, haha

Yeah part of it is old woman yells at cloud, but I prefer the simpler aero setups of Indy and old school F1 compared to modern F1.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KingShibby posted:

To keep up with the Taco Bell incident, maybe ask what each driver enjoys as their favorite unhealthy meal, or their favorite junk food from childhood.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

iospace posted:

NWS is still holding at 50% rain, but they haven't gone into the detailed forecast yet, so we don't know when they think it'll happen.

Mostly cloudy though should help keep the track temp down a bit though.

Its still too early to be really accurate with timing, but most of the poo poo I have seen is showing a morning rain event with it dying off as it closes in on noon. If so, there is plenty of time to dry the track and race.

But again. Its too early to be sure about timing a 2 hour swing in either direction, which is entirely possible, would make a huge difference.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

To keep up with the Taco Bell incident, maybe ask what each driver enjoys as their favorite unhealthy meal, or their favorite junk food from childhood.

I'll find that out with the second group of drivers

Also I can confirm that Dixon was ordering a cheesy gordita crunch with beans instead of beef

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KingShibby posted:

Also I can confirm that Dixon was ordering a cheesy gordita crunch with beans instead of beef

How do people cheer for this monster

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

:jebstare::barf:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Really when you think about it the robbers were doing a public service

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The idea seems intriguing though.

It's me, I'm the monster.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Scott Dixon owns, he is my favorite race car driver.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KingShibby posted:

Hell I'd eat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, if you're already stooping to Taco Bell...

Also, apparently Raph Orlove brought Nando a nutsack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDhNtt9DruM

• Locked thread