Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

I thought koobismo's Marauder Shields webcomic was interesting in a fanfic sort of way, but it died the web comic death of never being finished (and being mostly bad.)

Kind of like the source material itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
How healthy is the MP right now? Worth dropping U$ 30 bucks just to gently caress around for a weekend or two?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Personal_Nirvana posted:

How healthy is the MP right now? Worth dropping U$ 30 bucks just to gently caress around for a weekend or two?

Pretty easy to get games still I think but ME3 multiplayer was better in every way. Still it's your money & call.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You'll be able to play, it's pretty fun, but I don't love it. Mostly just feels sort of tiresome, there's very little variety.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Android Blues posted:

You'll be able to play, it's pretty fun, but I don't love it. Mostly just feels sort of tiresome, there's very little variety.

Yeah exactly how I felt. Incredibly same-y enemies with nowhere near the variety that ME3 had, very few levels and the limitation of only 3 active powers really hurts because you can't customize to suit your play style beyond the basics.

Barely any classes have a builder AND an exploder, so all the ones that don't are objectively garbage unless they're super burst like the infiltrator.

Even then since you can't respec for poo poo because "3 skills lol" it gets tiresome fast since there is basically only one good build and every mission plays out pretty much the same. You can even manipulate the enemy spawns pretty obviously just by standing in certain areas.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 24, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

DancingShade posted:

Yeah exactly how I felt. Incredibly same-y enemies with nowhere near the variety that ME3 had, very few levels and the limitation of only 3 active powers really hurts because you can't customize to suit your play style beyond the basics.

Barely any classes have a builder AND an exploder, so all the ones that don't are objectively garbage unless they're super burst like the infiltrator.

Even then since you can't respec for poo poo because "3 skills lol" it gets tiresome fast since there is basically only one good build and every mission plays out pretty much the same. You can even manipulate the enemy spawns pretty obviously just by standing in certain areas.

3 active powers is all ME3 had. But they were put together much more deliberately.

I keep going back to the Asari Huntress. In ME3 she had cloak, warp, dark channel, and could self detonate Dark Channel->Warp. Warp had an armor debuff component, dark channel spread between enemies, and she could get 2 casts out of a single cloak. So she had options for a single hard target or AOE.

In MEA the class has cloak, pull, and lance. She can self detonate IF they aren't armored or shielded AND you don't miss Lance, and her cloak is power cell based so she has to hump ammo boxes.

Same framework, cloak and 2 ranged biotic powerd, TOTALLY missed the point of the class.

ME3 had a few duds, but they were generally in execution rather than concept.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They were probably saving the actual good classes for future DLC lootboxes. DLC that much like the Quarian ark blew up in deep space, never to see the light of Andromeda.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

exquisite tea posted:

They were probably saving the actual good classes for future DLC lootboxes. DLC that much like the Quarian ark blew up in deep space, never to see the light of Andromeda.

"Coming soon to a settlement near you: Quarian Ark Drop Pods! Hack into their flight patterns today for only $4.99 USD!*

*Disclaimer: Drop Pods will take a few business days to land to assure the contents don't become goo."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
They probably changed the multiplayer classes so that people would have to cooperate for combo synergy.

lol, what idiots Bioware are...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The most fun I had in ME3 multiplayer was playing as the Geth hunter that could just go invis with a shotgun and basically play solo. Which I needed to do a lot because holy hell people are bad.

ME3 multiplayer was legitimately fun. Shame I got so sick of this series that I couldn't even enjoy that anymore.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I would have liked Alpha Protocol a lot more if it'd been about anything, anything on earth except a spy game.

because you're sick and tired of the overused genre of Spy RPGs???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Modern or near-future spy games are just not a very interesting setting for me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
youre not very interesting!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No arguments there.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im kidding youre a beautiful sunflower

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Ever since they nerfed melee really hard, my krogan vanguard has been collecting dust. Every other basic class is pretty awful and there's 0 chance I'm dumping :10bux: into gacha-packs on the off-chance I unlock a viable one. I'd rather go back to ME3 MP.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

Mentioned, but there was no customization of powers in 3.

I agree with your second point, it seems like some of them are just 3 random powers slapped together with no thought to combo ability or synergy.

You could also manipulate spawns in 3 and it was/is very good when you're playing on high difficulty against rear end in a top hat enemies (hello Collectors). Many a match with me yelling at the TV "goddamnit quit loving up the spawns!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, stupid game designers designing their game to make people cooperate and communicate and not solo things.

Total fuckwits, amirite?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Haha, stupid game designers designing their game to make people cooperate and communicate and not solo things.

Total fuckwits, amirite?

*laying dead on the opposite side of the map because I thought I could solo*

Git Gud Pubbie Scum! :smug:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Total fuckwits, amirite?

*Introduces jetpacks that make it really easy to get separated, maps that aren't designed to traverse together, anaemic group powers (except shield recharge), and keeps P2P lobbies in the game just in case you really want to loving hate the Russian that's hosting on the other side of the world.*

Bastions of good game design I tell yah!

*Dies from Behemoth tele-grabbing across the map*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finished the game! Have some post-game missions to wrap up but that's about it. I'm pretty sure I won't play through the campaign again, at least not any time soon, but I warmed up to it a bit more by the end. RIP Mass Effect.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Best Buy's latest sale is $30

$30 two months after release, Jesus wept

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elotana posted:

GOTY! :byodood:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Total fuckwits, amirite?

agreed it was lame in me3 when you could solo stuff and feel cool and have fun

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It was also really terrible how in ME3 each different enemy type often required very different tactics because of the diversity in units.

ME:A really mixed things up and improved the experience by having diverse enemies such as "humanoid with gun" and "biped robot with gun that uses same tactics & AI as humanoid with gun".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

After 600 years of travel, we've finally reached the Halo Galaxy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No developer's gonna make me turn on my mic!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
not sure what you're going for here dude?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Elotana posted:

Based on this thread, that still is not low enough to convince me to pick this up and give it a shot... maybe when it edges into -75% territory.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Moola posted:

Some sort of bullshit about how we are supposed to use the mic to coordinate with total strangers.

Sorry friend, I'm not that starved for contact and would rather be able to do cool things my self.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elotana posted:

This seems to be a lot of games now, I'm noticing.

quote:

After 600 years of travel, we've finally reached the Halo Galaxy.

I'm glad I finished the fight for John Halo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Based on this thread, that still is not low enough to convince me to pick this up and give it a shot... maybe when it edges into -75% territory.

I was considering waiting for for 50% for the multiplayer

then I found out the MP was also lovely, so yeah 75 - 90% off MAYBE, if I have nothing else to play

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
ME3's multiplayer worked because classes could operate independently but benefitted from synchronizing with teammates.

MEA's multiplayer does not do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was possible in ME3 to solo Gold and eventually Platinum, and while it took some time it was a cool additional challenge for what was normally a very breezy and easy (in a good way) multiplayer.

ME:A just has the stink of some EA exec running the numbers to see how many lootboxes they could squeeze out of this pile before the playerbase abandoned it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

This seems to be a lot of games now, I'm noticing.

True. If I remember even Doom 2016 had a $30 or $35 sale a couple months after release and that was a vastly better received game than this. I think devs and publishers are wising up to the fact that they'll make a lot more money from a shitton of people buying at half price than a few at full and that after a month or two most anyone who was going to buy at full price has already done so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

You're not the boss of me.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Some sort of bullshit about how we are supposed to use the mic to coordinate with total strangers.

Sorry friend, I'm not that starved for contact and would rather be able to do cool things my self.

Man, you should be a dev! :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wish AVP rewards were cumulative instead of making me come back to the ship every half hour. I'm starving for Milky Way research points because the other two families of craftable armour are ugly as hell.

The three skill limit is also making me feel like I'm just dumping points to get profile bonuses now. Is there supposed to be a hotkey switch between profiles to give me more to work with?
Wow, the loving F keys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shumagorath posted:

I wish AVP rewards were cumulative instead of making me come back to the ship every half hour. I'm starving for Milky Way research points because the other two families of craftable armour are ugly as hell.

I wore N7 armor the entire game. The only other ones I thought looked particularly good were the Pathfinder armors and the one outcast armor that the Infiltrators wear in multiplayer. The multiplayer soldier/ APEX soldier armor is ugly as hell.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

RBA Starblade posted:

I wore N7 armor the entire game. The only other ones I thought looked particularly good were the Pathfinder armors and the one outcast armor that the Infiltrators wear in multiplayer. The multiplayer soldier/ APEX soldier armor is ugly as hell.

The mp human adept armor (initiative rank 1 or 2) doesn't look bad, just plain (except the stupid bubble head helmet, gently caress all of those)

Also the heleus defender suit (at low rank without all the extra bullshit, eg the mp kineticist) looks pretty good in anything but the default white and purple scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
evidently the new multiplayer mission briefing has a quarian ark reference?

https://www.masseffect.com/apex-missions/apex-mission-brief-08