Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Turns out Djerba had camouflaged itself very well.

What a stressful game that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

rename ottomans to New Ethiopia

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It is always very funny to me when a nation loses control of its namesake province, and starts migrating further and further away as more of its provinces get conquered

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Worked for Rome.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

Worked for Rome.

Not very well

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The ERE remained a power well into the Middle Ages, I'd say it worked pretty well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair the ERE gave up on Rome long before they lost it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
No one asked, but this is how I started the successful attempt. Begin as Oman, your ruler is 84 and will die immediately so you'll need to save 100 admin for stability. Your heir is above average. Set Yemen, Najd, Hormuz as rivals. Take the mission to wipe Hormuz off the map. Block the island with all your boats, train 3 infantry, a couple of them mercs. Declare before you actually invade, because you're going to get warned by the Timurids. After that, rival Baluchistan, and hope the RNG is good to you. You'll want to take all Baluchi culture provinces and make it your primary culture. Increase development in those provinces, and remove statehood from Yemen if you attacked them so that Baluchi is over 50%. There are a couple Drylands provinces, one of them with Cotton, that are good for seeding institutions. Culture switch. Now you have the decision to form the Mughals. I did this a couple times and failed the attempt because I did it too late. You'll want to form the Mughals by 1560 or so. During this mess, try to at least get Mecca and Medina so you have an extra missionary. You'll want to get all the other missionaries from modifiers too, as there will be no way you can convert that many provinces with just three missionaries.

Now, hopefully its early enough that India hasn't blobbed too hard. You have a claim on the entire continent, a 25% coring cost reduction tradition, and hopefully you have Adaptability. Go nuts on India and become incredibly rich. Expand in every direction. You'll want to become a tributary of Ming for a while so you can eat up all its Sunni tributaries without having to fight them each time. Make sure you cancel your tributary status at least 100 years before the end of the game so their Mandate kicks down to zero and their troops become wimps.

I was allied with the Ottomans for too long, they got all the way into Ethiopia as you saw and more powerful than necessary. If you can, declare on Ethiopia and take just enough provinces to cut off land connection to the Ottomans so they can't expand down there.

My ideas were heavily weighted towards admin (make sure you strangle heirs in the crib that have less than 4 admin.) I think in order I went economics -> trade -> defensive -> administrative -> religious -> quantity -> humanism -> exploration (just to colonize the four Sunni provinces in Africa) and then changed that to offensive.

You can probably do it better than me but gently caress, that took a lot of attempts and I'm proud of it.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 25, 2017

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair the ERE gave up on Rome long before they lost it.

Justinian made Rome great again :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I've complained about this in this thread before, but it's still bullshit and it's pissing me off again, so I'm complaining about it again. This time with screenshots since some people didn't get it last time and tried to tell me why it wasn't bullshit.

Playing as Nagaur, called Sind into war with Mewar with a promise of land.

Sind view both bordering provinces as provinces of strategic interest. They are "likely to take it in a war if given the chance"

I transfer occupation of both bordering provinces to Sind but in the peace deal I can't give them either province because "Sind does not want it"

Taking even one province comes with a huge trust hit because they are "given fewer provinces than they expect" even though they refuse to take any when I offer them.

Fortunately I also managed to swing alliances with Delhi and Bengal, so Sind can gently caress off and die in a fire, but it's still bullshit.

e: bonus pic

Now Sind are hostile to me because they desire Kutch and Marwar. :suicide:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 25, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think that can happen when their ruler dies mid-war and their provinces of vital interest change because of personality differences. It's pretty bullshit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think that can happen when their ruler dies mid-war and their provinces of vital interest change because of personality differences. It's pretty bullshit.

Nope. Note that the first three screenshots were all taken on the same day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Were any of those provinces Sind cores?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I just spent so much time to struggle struggle struggle as the Mamluks to survive past the early game Ottoman menace and even defeat them in a couple of wars so that I can begin my grand master plan of converting to the Copts... only to discover the interesting Copt stuff is in a dlc I don't have.

F this game. I'm done.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Were any of those provinces Sind cores?

No. Not that it should matter. If the game tells me they want the provinces, and if they'll accept a CTA for land, and if they'll get pissy if I don't give them provinces, then they should take the provinces.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Nope. Note that the first three screenshots were all taken on the same day.

Those provinces aren't marked as vital interest, just strategic utility. I'm guessing that they had those provinces marked as vital interest when you called them to arms, but then their ruler died (hence regency council), meaning they no longer want those provinces. And now you're hosed because of it.

edit: It should also be noted that a province being marked as yellow doesn't necessarily mean that they actually want to acquire those provinces in war.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Those provinces aren't marked as vital interest, just strategic utility. I'm guessing that they had those provinces marked as vital interest when you called them to arms, but then their ruler died (hence regency council), meaning they no longer want those provinces. And now you're hosed because of it.

edit: It should also be noted that a province being marked as yellow doesn't necessarily mean that they actually want to acquire those provinces in war.

If that's what happened it's still crap. I know strategic utility (as opposed to vital strategic interest) only says they're "likely" to want it, but if they change their mind about taking it then it should nullify the trust penalty. The situation is no less ridiculous.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

CountFosco posted:

I just spent so much time to struggle struggle struggle as the Mamluks to survive past the early game Ottoman menace and even defeat them in a couple of wars so that I can begin my grand master plan of converting to the Copts... only to discover the interesting Copt stuff is in a dlc I don't have.

F this game. I'm done.

*checks the requirements*. The Coptic stuff requires Rights of Man. Really? :confused: That is very unintuitive, no wonder you got blindsided by that.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
After over 500 hours I finally took a game into the late 18th century and suddenly everything got super laggy. Tried taking it out of windowed mode, closing other programs etc but it just chugs which is a shame. In task manager i'm only at like 20% cpu usage and it's only using about 1.5g ram out of my 8. Any ideas on how to alleviate this? I get zero lag normally unless i'm zoomed out to max and even then this was worse than that fully zoomed in.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

jpparker55 posted:

After over 500 hours I finally took a game into the late 18th century and suddenly everything got super laggy. Tried taking it out of windowed mode, closing other programs etc but it just chugs which is a shame. In task manager i'm only at like 20% cpu usage and it's only using about 1.5g ram out of my 8. Any ideas on how to alleviate this? I get zero lag normally unless i'm zoomed out to max and even then this was worse than that fully zoomed in.

Is there a big war on between several major powers? When there's lots of units moving around and fighting at once it can slow the game up a lot.

Also, Sind have paid for their sins. Should have taken the land motherfuckers

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 25, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm with you bud, it's complete bullshit. They really need to fix it so that an ally will transfer occupation back to you if they won't accept the province in a peace deal.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

A request occupation feature would be great.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

jpparker55 posted:

Ignore this. Loaded the game back up and now it's running pretty well. Time to finish off better than napolean!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm with you bud, it's complete bullshit. They really need to fix it so that an ally will transfer occupation back to you if they won't accept the province in a peace deal.

Absolutely. This drives me bonkers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

:3rd way strategy:
Thanks for posting - this sounds like a fun challenge and I think I will give it a shot after I finally finish off the end of my Poland Can Into Space run. To confirm - you didnt have to dig into India to form the Mughals, just take over Baluchistan and culture shift?

Wafflecopper posted:

Is there a big war on between several major powers? When there's lots of units moving around and fighting at once it can slow the game up a lot.

Also, Sind have paid for their sins. Should have taken the land motherfuckers

drat, how do you even get off of the ground as Nagaur?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 25, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

drat, how do you even get off of the ground as Nagaur?

I can't remember exactly how it went, but I started by hiring over force limit and eating Dhundhar while improving relations with Delhi and their ally Sind. Then with the help of a diplo rep advisor I allied both and a little later Bengal. Promised land to Sind to help me beat up Mewar. As I posted earlier they wouldn't take the land so I just took as many provinces as I could without triggering a coalition, forced them to release another province or two, and lost the alliance with Sind due to the trust hit. Picked off a couple of other minors who I or others released in wars. Grabbed a chunk of Gujarat after they got weakened in another war and had no allies, same with Malwa though I think I might have had to call in allies on that one, they were surprisingly strong. By this point I was a proper regional player with a gold mine in Mewar and a good chunk of power in the Indus and Goa trade nodes and expansion started to become relatively straightforward. I got a bit bogged down in the early-mid 1600s after fighting a couple of expensive wars and dumping a bunch of points into seeding institutions and falling behind a bit on tech. Cruising again now but I'm worried I lost too momentum to finish the achievement (conquer all of the North and South Germany regions) in time:

I'm allied with Bengal and Russia, working on eating Delhi and Persia and the rest of Bahmanis. I was briefly allied with the Ottomans (also allied with Russia) but they randomly dropped the alliance and rivaled me just after I formed Hindustan. They could be a problem. Also shout out to my successful OPM bro Theodoro and also what up OPM Ming lol

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 25, 2017

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Which buildings are worth building?

Churches where it's a lot of +tax (e.g. +0.2 or more?)? Manufactories?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thanks for posting - this sounds like a fun challenge and I think I will give it a shot after I finally finish off the end of my Poland Can Into Space run. To confirm - you didnt have to dig into India to form the Mughals, just take over Baluchistan and culture shift?

Your primary culture needs to be in the Iranian culture group (like your neighbors the Baluchi) to get the decision available, so no, you don't need to go into India at first. However, to form the Mughals, you need to take a few provinces around Delhi and have 600 development. Then you get a really god drat good set of national ideas and a permanent claim on the entire Indian subcontinent. It's a really powerful decision.

I couldn't imagine doing Third Way without culture flipping. I'm sure some really good people can, but holy poo poo, the Omani ideas are terrible. Boats, sailors, and trade aren't going to eliminate the Sunni and Shia sects from the planet.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Rude.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

alcaras posted:

Which buildings are worth building?

Churches where it's a lot of +tax (e.g. +0.2 or more?)? Manufactories?

Depends entirely on your circumstances. Even if you'd be getting +0.5 ducats/month from a church, if it cost you your last 100 ducats I don't think that it'd be a wise purchase. I think it's important to keep a war chest, the size of which is dictated by your circumstances and personal preference.

Churches I'll happily build anywhere that's at least +0.15/month if I'm swimming in gold, but usually I'm just building 1 at a time wherever the maximum income might be.

Likewise for workshops but those are interesting because they actually get better over time in most provinces. Various global events over time will increase or decrease the value of one or more trade goods, but trade good value usually increases, so a workshop can actually be worth a lot more later on than what's shown on the UI in 1444. Also, these couple together with Manufactories, since production income is based on both production efficiency (boosted by workshops) and trade good value (determined by goods produced which is boosted by manufactories). So workshops can be a lot better than they appear and are usually worth building in provinces that have valuable trade goods

Marketplaces are only worthwhile if you don't dominate a trade node. Increases in trade power are subject to diminishing returns, since one can only ever have 100% of the trade power in a node, so they can be worthwhile in valuable trade nodes that you don't dominate. If you have more than 60% of the trade power in a node then they're probably not worth your time unless the trade value in that node is just ridiculous

Manufactories are deceptively good because the UI only shows you how much extra income you gain from Production Income, but Manufactories can also increase your Trade income. For instance, if the trade good is worth 3 ducats and a manufactory would double your goods produced from 1 to 2, then the UI would show that you'd be gaining +0.25/mo in production income for building a manufactory there (not counting any bonuses). However, if you also controlled 100% of the trade power in that node and collected there, then you'd be gaining an additional +0.25/mo on top of that (not counting any bonuses), so really you'd be making +0.5/mo ducats overall.

Two additional notes for Manufactories:
1) Manufactories also let you spawn the Manufactories institution, and they naturally spread the Manufactories institution, so they have a lot of additional value at that point in the game
2) The bonus from Manufactories is not effected by autonomy, culture, or religion differences. These all reduce your production efficiency, so the UI will show a smaller boost in production income for building a manufactory in a province with high autonomy or wrong culture/religion, but the trade value increase is unmodified by those factors, so you could actually still be making a ton of trade income from a manufactory even in a territory with otherwise poor production efficiency. Remember, production efficiency only influences your production income in that province, not your trade income

I don't bother with courthouses except in extraordinary circumstances (conquering high-development high-autonomy land in Malacca while I'm in Europe for instance).

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 26, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm coming back into the game after a couple years absence and some of the new content is breaking my already tenuous grasp on decently playing the game. Any suggestions for a good Brandenburg start? The changes to calling in allies is especially throwing me for a loop when it comes to starting as a small-ish minor.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Are there any obvious quality-of-life mods I should install?

I'm up to date on all the DLC now but I haven't played for a couple of years.

Any other mods I should install if:
* I like poo poo that teaches me about real history
* I hate moving armies around. Is there a mod that will fight wars for me automatically so I can focus on empire building?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They....just got that decision at that date?!?

Node posted:

Your primary culture needs to be in the Iranian culture group (like your neighbors the Baluchi) to get the decision available, so no, you don't need to go into India at first. However, to form the Mughals, you need to take a few provinces around Delhi and have 600 development. Then you get a really god drat good set of national ideas and a permanent claim on the entire Indian subcontinent. It's a really powerful decision.

I couldn't imagine doing Third Way without culture flipping. I'm sure some really good people can, but holy poo poo, the Omani ideas are terrible. Boats, sailors, and trade aren't going to eliminate the Sunni and Shia sects from the planet.
hahaha yeah those ideas are pretty trash. I was thinking I would form Arabia when I did Third Way, but I may do that when I do the Najd achievement since forming the Mughals seems like a good plan.

fuf posted:

Are there any obvious quality-of-life mods I should install?

I'm up to date on all the DLC now but I haven't played for a couple of years.

Any other mods I should install if:
* I like poo poo that teaches me about real history
* I hate moving armies around. Is there a mod that will fight wars for me automatically so I can focus on empire building?
I wish there were mods for both of those things but I dont know if they exist or not. I doubt it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

They....just got that decision at that date?!?

I think it's because I blocked a LOT of their expansion by grabbing the achievement, I mean I was up there by 1570.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

I think it's because I blocked a LOT of their expansion by grabbing the achievement, I mean I was up there by 1570.
What? How?!? Managed to expand quickly then got an opportunistic grab vs Mamluks and then no CB on whomever owned Kaffa?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mostly by Deus Vult Snaking my way up there.

Edit: I lied about the date, It was 1553.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 26, 2017

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

What? How?!? Managed to expand quickly then got an opportunistic grab vs Mamluks and then no CB on whomever owned Kaffa?

Oh no, I expanded up there by 1553, I didn't get the achieve until 1670 because I had to build a good power base for the hellwar, which was an opportunistic one against Russia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

Oh no, I expanded up there by 1553, I didn't get the achieve until 1670 because I had to build a good power base for the hellwar, which was an opportunistic one against Russia.
That must have been one hell of a snake....

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

That must have been one hell of a snake....

I wish I took more screenshots to share but I can give more of an idea with this one from 1511.

As you can see Ethiopia was blocked off from expansion and at the time was my ally. Hassa and the blue Non-Oman nation are vassals, also Timmy up there broke apart fast so I snaked my way into Iraq, then Tabarastan, Armenia, Finally to the Caucasus where I Marched Circassia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

I wish I took more screenshots to share but I can give more of an idea with this one from 1511.

As you can see Ethiopia was blocked off from expansion and at the time was my ally. Hassa and the blue Non-Oman nation are vassals, also Timmy up there broke apart fast so I snaked my way into Iraq, then Tabarastan, Armenia, Finally to the Caucasus where I Marched Circassia.
Wow thats really cool. I may have to give that a try. I always thought it would be more a situation of having to build up before tunneling/snaking up there. Is that Makuria owning a bunch of formerly Mamluk lands?

Thanks for sharing, I hope people dont mine me making GBS threads up the thread with all these questions :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Wow thats really cool. I may have to give that a try. I always thought it would be more a situation of having to build up before tunneling/snaking up there. Is that Makuria owning a bunch of formerly Mamluk lands?

Thanks for sharing, I hope people dont mine me making GBS threads up the thread with all these questions :v:

Getting a border with Adal and murdering them before Ethiopia is the main issue before snaking up there, assuming Timurids break up quickly of course.

Mamluks got jumped on pretty hard so Makuria owns some Mamluk land, the AI REALLY likes to dogpile this patch.

Also if it helps at all my idea sets early on were Defensive-->Religious-->Influence.

I can try to answer any other questions you have, this was a fun run. :)

• Locked thread