Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Im starting to legit think that Ball could be there at 5. I'd be mentally prepared for him or Fox.

Ball in Sacramento would probably make Lavar explode so I'd be into it.

I don't t think Ball will (or should) get past Philly at 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Philly definitely is dreaming of running an all fast break offense so yeah I don't think they would let Ball go past. Maybe with Simmons it can actually work. Although it would be going against like all the trends in basketball.

But yeah he's the eighth best player in the draft in a non-fastbreak NBA so they should pick someone else. Don't worry though Earvin Johnson is going to save the league from him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Philly definitely is dreaming of running an all fast break offense so yeah I don't think they would let Ball go past. Maybe with Simmons it can actually work. Although it would be going against like all the trends in basketball.

But yeah he's the eighth best player in the draft in a non-fastbreak NBA so they should pick someone else. Don't worry though Earvin Johnson is going to save the league from him.

Why do you say things that you know will hurt me :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

Why do you say things that you know will hurt me :(

I'm so sorry.

If it makes you feel better everything I'm reading is they are looking away from Ball at the moment but it's so early that rumors right now are unreliable.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Calipari is threatening to quit if Diallo gets picked early in the first round, lol.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Khagan posted:

Calipari is threatening to quit if Diallo gets picked early in the first round, lol.

Consensus on Diallo has gone from "he's a 2nd rounder right now go play a year at Kentucky" before the combine to "look at those numbers he's fringe lottery right now!" immediately after to the latest "he's late first at best he's coming back" which started to trickle out tonight. I know the conventional wisdom, especially here, is go get the money ASAP and gently caress the rest, but there's a difference between late first and lotto money and you're never guaranteed that second contract.

If I'm Cal, I'd be wary of someone like Portland, who has multiple first round picks and can go BPA at 15, draft and stash at 20, and give Diallo a promise that they'll take him in the 1st and do so at 26. Maybe Orlando with their second at 25, Lakers at 28 or Jazz at 30; someone who can gamble because they have that second 1st. I think if he gets one of those he's gone and I think he'll get one. I also think he'd be better served going back and doing his year and rising up into the lottery but it's not my life.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's a legit tough call for him because unless he has a great college season, his stock won't ever be higher, even if he goes out and has just a good season, he's going to have his age working against him, fair or not. If he does have a great season though, there's some room for him to move up simply because it's not gonna be a wing draft it appears.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rick posted:

It's a legit tough call for him because unless he has a great college season, his stock won't ever be higher, even if he goes out and has just a good season, he's going to have his age working against him, fair or not. If he does have a great season though, there's some room for him to move up simply because it's not gonna be a wing draft it appears.

He'd be only 19 wouldn't he? Is that really a huge strike against him? It's not like he'd be a college senior.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

He'd be only 19 wouldn't he? Is that really a huge strike against him? It's not like he'd be a college senior.

Oh I guess you're right. I just assumed since he had a post high school year he was older.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm talking myself into Isaac at 3. He seems like the perfect modern 4.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aside from the fact that Ben Simmons is occupying the 4 spot on defense.

I kinda like Monk at 3. If you stick him at the 1, that mitigates his size and defense issues. Let Simmons run the offense with Monk as a secondary ball handler

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Caleb Swanigan staying in the draft, probably a 2nd round pick.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

Ha, I've talked myself into Isaac at 4 because I don't think Jackson will be available. He's a very intriguing prospect for sure.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

He's got a serious asthma problem.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Weird defensive lineup, honestly a weird offensive one too but if Isaac and Saric can shoot, say, .37 or better from three that really takes the pressure off of Simmons. But Saric was bad from 3 his first year, and Isaac only shot 34% from the college line. There's no guarantee you're getting a Lewis/Turkoglu situation there in terms of spacing, which is what you'd need.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How much of a reach is Dennis Smith at 3? Dude can ball and score at every level. Josh Jackson's shot scares me a lot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Weird defensive lineup, honestly a weird offensive one too but if Isaac and Saric can shoot, say, .37 or better from three that really takes the pressure off of Simmons. But Saric was bad from 3 his first year, and Isaac only shot 34% from the college line. There's no guarantee you're getting a Lewis/Turkoglu situation there in terms of spacing, which is what you'd need.

I dont think Saric is a starter. My lineup with Isaac at 3 would be Simmon - SG- covington - Issac - Embiid.

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

I would like to think Markelle Fultz has Nas in his top 5. If he doesn't this hurts his draft stock imo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Isaac will not be good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Josh Jackson in Phi will be so fun to watch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

I dont think Saric is a starter. My lineup with Isaac at 3 would be Simmon - SG- covington - Issac - Embiid.

I forgot they had Bayless.

So it would be Simmons - Bayless - covington - Isaac - Embiid

They might sign Reddick.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am not ready to handle the idea of luke kennard: chicago bull

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How much of a reach is Dennis Smith at 3? Dude can ball and score at every level. Josh Jackson's shot scares me a lot.

A fair number of people online think he's the second best PG In the draft. He's down in the mocks because of his attitude and health concerns but screw what the mocks say. It's not like anyone in the second tier, especially Fox and Ball, are free from any serious concerns either so I don't think it's a huge reach.

I mean we all laugh at reaches, but draft the guy you like the most and has the best chance to succeed for you. Who cares what Givony or Bilas think they aren't running your team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jaylen Brown was a reach but looks like a good pick.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

Yeah, I laugh at reaches all the time because I just like to laugh but compare any mock to a ranking 2-3 years later and it's a different story.

except for Papa John. That pick will always be funny

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Thon Maker was a huge reach at 10 too, but he looks like he's going to be a good pick there. Even though he is 27.

Draft express had him mocked to go 32nd on the 1st June 2016 and 35th on the 16th June only to bump him up to 10 in their final mock right before the draft, so presumably they got inside info that the Bucks were going to take him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it owns that i have no idea who the bulls are going to pick but already know i'll be flabbergasted and disgusted

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

He looks like he maybe has the potential to become a good role player, if he can become an average 3 point shooter over a decent amount of shots, which the Celtics were in a unique position to be okay with taking at the top of a draft.

I agree that teams shouldn't worry at all about a pick being considered a reach and should trust their own scouting of players. WIth that said if the Sixers draft Isaac I would be very upset.

Jota fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 25, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

Thon Maker was a huge reach at 10

What about the second time he was 10

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota posted:

He looks like he maybe has the potential to become a good role player, if he can become an average 3 point shooter over a decent amount of shots, which the Celtics were in a unique position to be okay with taking at the top of a draft.

I try not to be too homerish but I see signs that he could be more valuable than a good roleplayer. But yeah, it's tough to tell with rookies. Especially raw ones. I really think being on a team like Boston helped him a lot more than it would have on a losing team as he gets to play without having the entire weight of the game on his shoulders. He'd probably get overwhelmed with a ton more playing time somewhere else

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

euphronius posted:

I forgot they had Bayless.

So it would be Simmons - Bayless - covington - Isaac - Embiid

They might sign Reddick.

Simmons is defending PGs in this scenario? Thats ... interesting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Simmons is defending PGs in this scenario? Thats ... interesting

Thats what they've been saying.

Anyways, you could have Bayless and Covington guard the guards and have Simmons guard a 3. Cov can guard anyone.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I don't think he's a reach there at all. I think he'll be in play at that spot when it's all said and done.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've only done the first ten picks of my "mean" mock (the one where every organization makes the mistake it usually makes in the draft if it makes a mistake) but I definitely have Boston picking Issac #1 in it.

Metapod posted:

Isaac will not be good

I'm not sure if I want to go this far but he is probably the biggest risk/reward pick in the draft.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sourced rumors on twitter that Sixers like fox and smith at three.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/sbondynydn/status/867526157184491521

Don't know who this guy is

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
all mocks have okc drafting Rodions Kurucs I don't know if they have given up on guessing what Presti is going to do or if there is merit to it

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

New York Daily News guy.

Might be overhyping Smith so the fan base is cool when the Knicks take him.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Smith if Brett Brown can get him actually working on the defensive end.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Diallo pulls out and "returns" to Kentucky. Never got the 1st round guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

edit: efb

• Locked thread