Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Goofballs posted:

I thought the consequences were going to be super extreme in that last bit too. But she was able to drive herself home and get up four flights of stairs or whatever it was that we know from the first episode. I like Ray and Nikki as well, they're fun and charismatic.

She doesn't live there anymore. I'm assuming she's in Ray's house, where he met the police officers in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It also serves to show how committed she is to living the criminal lifestyle, not going back to prison, getting Emmitt's money, or some combination of all of those factors. To be beaten that bad and still not go to the hospital, I mean geez.

She's totally going to sell it as Sy and Emmitt's goons beating the tar out of her and that's going to send the brother rivalry into the true endgame where one of them has to end up dead. I'm just curious how honest she is about where she was and what she was trying to do, whether she says she was trying to get $100k or $200k, that the sex tape was found by the wife, etc.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well he's British so I think that's what they call Spotted Dick.

The toughest thing to order with a straight face in Britain. :guinness:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Metropolis posted:

I agree. His need to assert his dominance even when he already clearly has it is probably going to be his downfall. He knew Emmit wouldn't run him over but he's going to underestimate someone's impulses or someone who no longer cares what happens to them.

"But Peter paid no attention to his grandfather's words.
Boys like him are not afraid of wolves."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do feel that S3 has made me want to see the villains get their comeuppance far more than previously, which is impressive given this is the same show with Dodd Gerhardt. To see a moment when the Wolf finally meets someone who is not afraid of him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The coffee mug scene was really weird, because we are supposed to believe he pissed in the mug and Sy drank it, but who pisses into a mug by rubbing it in their crotch like that? The piss would have gotten all over his pants, and his dick would have been bathed in his own piss as it sloshed out onto his pants, what the gently caress

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I do feel that S3 has made me want to see the villains get their comeuppance far more than previously, which is impressive given this is the same show with Dodd Gerhardt. To see a moment when the Wolf finally meets someone who is not afraid of him.
Eh, all it takes is someone he has no leverage over. Someone he can't research and blackmail with family members.

... someone who isn't on Facebook.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The coffee mug scene was really weird, because we are supposed to believe he pissed in the mug and Sy drank it, but who pisses into a mug by rubbing it in their crotch like that? The piss would have gotten all over his pants, and his dick would have been bathed in his own piss as it sloshed out onto his pants, what the gently caress

He didn't piss in it. Unless you had a raging urinary track infection where the pee just dribbles out it'd be impossible to pee in a cup like that without making a mess. He just put his junk in the cup and then they filled it with water and Sy had to drink it. I've only got a 720p TV, but maybe someone with 1080 can rewind that scene and see if there were any random pubes floating in the cup.

So yeah, just junk in the cup. Like Accretionist said, he managed to get his balls in there as well.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh, all it takes is someone he has no leverage over. Someone he can't research and blackmail with family members.

... someone who isn't on Facebook.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Nah man! It was just a mug full of water. Varga used his dick and balls as a tea bag and made some nasty smelling and nasty tasting water, which the goons then forced Sy to drink. No piss involved.

Though I did think about the fact that it should have made Varga's pants really wet, and it would have been a very uncomfortable situation in his underwear region for the rest of the day. But we already know Varga's a pretty disgusting human being so even that's not all that surprising.

EDIT:

Krispy Kareem posted:

He didn't piss in it. Unless you had a raging urinary track infection where the pee just dribbles out it'd be impossible to pee in a cup like that without making a mess. He just put his junk in the cup and then they filled it with water and Sy had to drink it. I've only got a 720p TV, but maybe someone with 1080 can rewind that scene and see if there were any random pubes floating in the cup.

So yeah, just junk in the cup. Like Accretionist said, he managed to get his balls in there as well.

Oh, did they pour the water in after the ball rubbing? That would make way more sense, especially since during the part where Varga had his junk in the mug there were a lot of squeaking noises ADR'ed in which would make it seem more like the sound of saggy ball skin sliding against ceramic porcelain.

timp fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 19, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ok I feel much better about that now, thanks guys

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Gotta have some stanky junk to flavor a cup of water like that.

Trust me.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wolf in Cyrillic looks like "Bonk" so we can now infer that Varga's "True Name", the name that binds him to this mortal form, is Mr. Bonk

This makes more sense than trying to use numerology based on killcounts to interpret Fargo

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I'm half hoping/expecting this to end up like burn after reading. Most everyone dies for the dumbest of reasons and Nikki somehow gets the stamp at the hand of the new police chief.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If the two thugs die and Vargas has to call for backup what are the chances Wrench the hitman shows up?

We could see some more miscommunication between multilingual Vargas and a deaf guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RIP Numbers :(

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I was lying in bed last night when it hit me:

Malvo season 1: "Haven't had pie this good since Eden."

Season 3, we have two Edens as prominent locations.

A time traveling Malvo will show up in the next few episodes, I'll bet on it. And I'm only like 60% kidding.

Apologies if someone had mentioned this before.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Nemo posted:

Malvo season 1: "Haven't had pie this good since Eden."

Apple pie. Apple. Eden. Apple.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Every season has had someone taking a thumb in the rear end during sex so we have something to look forward to

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mng posted:

Gotta have some stanky junk to flavor a cup of water like that.

Trust me.

I don't think the nasty taste was the point, it was an act of domination. They probably couldn't get away with straight-up having Sy take Varga directly in his mouth on FX (even if they could they were in a glass-windowed office), so the next best thing was having Varga indirectly make Sy suck Varga's dick without actually sucking his dick. Hence the talk of cuckolding and Varga taunting Sy about his wife.

It wasn't a Johnny Knoxville prank, they wanted Sy to know that he wasn't in charge anymore the way he was with Emmit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it was more psychologically gross than actually gross, though with Varga, I mean, who knows what kind of pus is leaking from that spotted dick? :v:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

King Vidiot posted:

They probably couldn't get away with straight-up having Sy take Varga directly in his mouth on FX

Get a load of this guy that never watched The Shield

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

precision posted:

Apple pie. Apple. Eden. Apple.

Well, duh. With all the religious references in season 1 of course that what we thought back then. But it was clearly Noah foreshadowing his five seasons master plan.

As I said, only 60% kidding.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Capntastic posted:

Every season has had someone taking a thumb in the rear end during sex so we have something to look forward to

Did that happen season one

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Did that happen season one

when Malvo was pretending to be a dentist.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Aces

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Why did the goons leave her alive? I can't figure out why beating someone almost to death (someone they don't have any leverage over to boot) and then leaving would be something professional button men would choose to do.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They didn't know who she was or if she even had anything to do with their con. They beat her as a message to Sy.

Again, miscommunications. Now they've involved Ray and Nikki and Sy was already pretty much making GBS threads his pants without the beating.

Also, given his speech, I get the impression the Russian is more introspective and maybe a little tired of all the killing. Better to just beat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

He made you...... SUUUCCCKKKKK!?!!?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Given the sound, Sy's reaction, and the lingering shot before we see she's still alive, I'm pretty sure the three of them thought she was dead or would be soon enough.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

He made you...... SUUUCCCKKKKK!?!!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aINQduzqM

"Previously, on The Shield"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Why did the goons leave her alive? I can't figure out why beating someone almost to death (someone they don't have any leverage over to boot) and then leaving would be something professional button men would choose to do.

Like Kareem said, that was just another message to Sy that they're in control now and things will be done Varga's way. Sy has spent years thinking he's a real fixer, but all he's done to deal with the Ray situation is wreck his car a little, put boots on his tires and confront Nikki verbally. The car wreck in the parking lot is inconveniencing Varga, and Varga's boys are letting Sy know that they're in charge.

They had no reason to kill Nikki, they just wanted to do something blunt and violent to let Sy know how things were going to be from now on. No more letting anything slide and no kid gloves.

VV I don't recall anybody here saying it wasn't

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 22, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It was a blackjack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the scene was also intentionally meta-misleading because they knew we'd think "oh wow they killed off Nikki"

I almost wish they had, just to really screw with "the formula". Before that scene I was positive Nikki would be in the season finale, and that scene made me question my assumptions.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016
I think they made the mistake of making almost every character a bit too quirky or cartoony. Because of this even the most brutal scenes lack a real sense of dread.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If last episode's ending doesn't do it for you, I don't know. That was maybe the most brutal Fargo has ever been. Passing a guy through the meatgrinder, now that's quirky.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Numberwang posted:

I think they made the mistake of making almost every character a bit too quirky or cartoony. Because of this even the most brutal scenes lack a real sense of dread.

For me this has the opposite effect. Watching characters like Nikki or Sy bumble around and say "aw jeez" in their funny accent a lot makes them cartoonish and endearing, but then when the poo poo really hits the fan it's all the more horrifying because they're just so, so out of their element.

When the thugs grabbed Nikki by the hair and she screamed as she suddenly realized she was in way over her head, that was chilling, imo. To equate it to your metaphor, it'd be like watching Bugs Bunny get brutally beat by two gangsters and left for dead in an abandoned parking lot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that whole scene, I felt like Sy looked.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh poo poo, this ep is this seasons loving off the rail alien shootout through the looking glass thing

Intro was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017
Oh no. :(

• Locked thread