Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

It's not a huge issue, no, but if you're making graphs to convey political points then if they're not accurate they're a lot easier for your opponents to discount.

And it happens all the drat time, so the more people are aware of the issue (and thus avoid it themselves) the better.

skylined! posted:

would you prefer a 0-100 scale where a 5% dip barely registers

are you a purist as well

There's no need to use a 0-100 scale; you wouldn't gain any additional information. It's just that starting a scale at a point other than zero distorts comparison of absolute sizes. If that relative absolute size could potentially be important to the reader, then it's potentially misleading to distort it.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 25, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Baronash posted:

Clearly, since when I look at a graph that jumps from 9% to 18%, I think that the Y-value tripled. The gently caress are you on?

And if you don't look closely at the scale (or you don't understand graphs particularly well) the obvious thing to notice is that the AHCA line is roughly 3 times as high as the ACA one.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Julio Cruz posted:

And if you don't look closely at the scale (or you don't understand graphs particularly well) the obvious thing to notice is that the AHCA line is roughly 3 times as high as the ACA one.

I don't think the graph is your issue. There is literally nothing that changes in the interpretation of that graph by adding in the bottom 5%.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/gyIB8T1.gifv

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Starting to wonder if Murdoch is going to use Fox News downturn as an excuse to sell. Of course the buyer will turn out to be a shell company for Russia Today.:tinfoil:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/867536041959346177

https://twitter.com/jakesNYT/status/867540236942934016

cold world

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Zil posted:

Starting to wonder if Murdoch is going to use Fox News downturn as an excuse to sell. Of course the buyer will turn out to be a shell company for Russia Today.:tinfoil:

Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The obvious thing you should notice is that the rate goes back to the pre-ACA level. If they really wanted to be mean, wouldn't they expend the X-axis to let the amount of uninsured ramp up to the 2026 estimates?

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
This day is such a mix of things that make me happy and unbelievably angry at the same time.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
O'Reily, Ailes AND Hannity not surviving the first year of Trump is just too good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/867569873727221760

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gozinbulx posted:

O'Reily, Ailes AND Hannity not surviving the first year of Trump is just too good.

I bet they thought that Trump would usher in an era of "Good ol' Boy" style immunity for assholes to do as they pleased.

Thankfully they were wrong and Trump can't so much as usher a fart without making GBS threads the bed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

This will only buy him so much I imagine.

The sherrif is probably going to slow walk this as much as possible so he doesn't have to arrest Gianforte before the election, but if he wins I imagine we'll be seeing an arrest sometime friday morning.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Holy gently caress

quote:

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of "I'm sick and tired of this!"

And this is from Fox News

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

What has the latest polling on the Montana race actually been?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

The Glumslinger posted:

Holy gently caress

What the gently caress are you kidding me!?

Even Ben didn't mention getting punched!

Please let there be video.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/fbihop/status/867570555641135104

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Furnaceface posted:

Chris Christie says "Challenge accepted".

I'll be waiting for him in the ring - if he can actually waddle his way over here. If he takes those electric scooters I'll just ambush him on it and kick his fat rear end.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

LOCK HIM UP

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Man, Republicans are getting really good at loving their own asses

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol this is fine

I will be pretty mad if he still wins after this.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gozinbulx posted:

The tiniest, orangest monkey's paw.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

This is so precious, right before the election even.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

oh my god how can you gently caress up this bad?

also, what happens when this guy wins tomorrow and gets arrested for assault at his victory party?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This story is clearly fake news. He wasn't body slammed. He was choke slammed.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Bottom Liner posted:

Man, Republicans are getting really good at loving their own asses

It's not gay if it's you doing it to yourself.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Holy gently caress

Okay, scratch what I just said. Probably going to see a congressional election tomorrow with one candidate in loving jail. With eyewitnesses there is zero way to slow walk this amidst the national media attention.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Chris Christie says "Challenge accepted".

God Hand taught me you don't suplex fatties.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

DC Murderverse posted:

also, what happens when this guy wins tomorrow and gets arrested for assault at his victory party?

an idiosyncratic country judge with no patience for bullshit awards his seat in congress to ben jacobs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's not gay if it's you doing it to yourself.

The good ol' loopback trick

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

oh my god how can you gently caress up this bad?

You can serve in Congress from jail.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lote posted:

This story is clearly fake news. He wasn't body slammed. He was choke slammed.

You'd think with a WWE Hall of Famer for President and :supaburn::supaburn:KANE:supaburn::supaburn: running for office in KY this sort of info would start trickling into the rest of the GOP

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...ame=aphrocarlin

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I want "Fox News Vacation" to enter the lexicon as a slang way of saying "fired"

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Caros posted:

Okay, scratch what I just said. Probably going to see a congressional election tomorrow with one candidate in loving jail. With eyewitnesses there is zero way to slow walk this amidst the national media attention.

WTF were they thinking dropping that statement with three eyewitnesses who they didn't have locked down?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Caros posted:

This will only buy him so much I imagine.

The sherrif is probably going to slow walk this as much as possible so he doesn't have to arrest Gianforte before the election, but if he wins I imagine we'll be seeing an arrest sometime friday morning.

Its fine, because the prosecutor is going to make that call and the sheriff already said they'll meet tomorrow morning.

There's probably a pretty decent chance we'll see an election day arrest if the Fox News tv crew told the police the same thing they are tweeting.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

:captainpop:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

WTF were they thinking dropping that statement with three eyewitnesses who they didn't have locked down?

"Thank god those weren't real reporters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Memnaelar posted:

et tu, fox news?

• Locked thread