Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
Quist also could have positioned himself a bit better for Montana values but I think he's going to end up doing just enough to win.

Like Obama won Iowa. He literally went and talked to every single loving boomer get together in the state.

But you have to have those organizations to be able to go to and speak and get the word out, lots of states don't have it and that's where Democrats don't have a chance doing that kind of winning over of voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

You leap onto the smallest bit of optimism and stretch it to "but you don't KNOW it can't happen!!" and then get pissy and upset when people don't agree with your wild hope. It'll be nice if it happens but your utter confidence he's going to win is far less justified.

....I don't have confidence, you giant moron. My entire point is that this is still up in the air. One of us is "Hillary can't possibly lose" in this argument, and it isn't me.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

skylined! posted:

man how loving excited is quist and his camp right now

They went from "after a long, hard struggle we fought our way up to being a slight underdog, we just might win this thing, but it'll be close" to "holy loving poo poo..... uhhh.... we just need to not gently caress up for 24 hours and its over!"

Quist will probably be safer and more scripted than ever in the final day.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

So seriously

how do I get the 99 cent grand slam

Move to Mississauga.

For the love of all that is holy do not move to Mississauga

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Does Quist do scripted?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Other than the fact that it means they won't be concerned enough to back away from the healthcare bill. A Montana congressional seat means nothing. Keeping them from detonating the nation's healthcare system is a far more worthwhile goal unless you are going full accelerationist.

I don't think they are dumb enough to actually think the AHCA isn't an anchor around their necks, they just need to advertise it to their base as if it's not.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beaten

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Furnaceface posted:

Move to Mississauga.

For the love of all that is holy do not move to Mississauga

Do you even know where Mississauga is?

Because it's way better than any us state at this point in time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/867577806359855104

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fox News is attacking a Republican hopeful. Did I have a loving stroke?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I know because it's an insanely absurdly safe Republican district where the news is about how it's close but Quist has never been ahead at any point. Our President was caught discussing sexual assault shortly before the election and had a number of women come out to claim they assaulted him and still won and he was facing longer odds than this. Republicans do not care. They might care about the AHCA thing but enough to turn a safe district into a D win is unlikely.

If the pussy grabbing tape came out the day before the election he would have lost

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I know because it's an insanely absurdly safe Republican district where the news is about how it's close but Quist has never been ahead at any point. Our President was caught discussing sexual assault shortly before the election and had a number of women come out to claim they assaulted him and still won and he was facing longer odds than this. Republicans do not care. They might care about the AHCA thing but enough to turn a safe district into a D win is unlikely.

otoh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Do you even know where Mississauga is?

Because it's way better than any us state at this point in time.

I used to live in Mississauga. :v:

And yeah, I guess perspective is key here.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This thread is moving so fast I can't keep up so apologies if this has already been posted.

Here is the account from the Fox News team that was in the room when it happened. This is gold because if Fox News is reporting it then it will be a lot harder for conservatives to claim it is fake news. Also, they claim that not only did he body slam him, but he then got on top of him and started punching him:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Crabtree posted:

Fox News is attacking a Republican hopeful. Did I have a loving stroke?

Maybe they know if they don't cover this story they'll lose a lot of money?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

....I don't have confidence, you giant moron. My entire point is that this is still up in the air. One of us is "Hillary can't possibly lose" in this argument, and it isn't me.

You're having a freakout because I said he isn't going to win. So, yeah, it's entirely you.

Rigel posted:

They went from "after a long, hard struggle we fought our way up to being a slight underdog, we just might win this thing, but it'll be close" to "holy loving poo poo..... uhhh.... we just need to not gently caress up for 24 hours and its over!"

Quist will probably be safer and more scripted than ever in the final day.

Honestly he shouldn't be scripted. He needs to go all-out and burn hard. Pushing people to want to vote FOR him is the hill to overcome since his opponent has the 'vote against me' thing wrapped up tight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So is this the renewal of Mattering?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Caros posted:

The sad part is that now Quist's win will be chalked up less to "Holy gently caress healthcare is toxic as poo poo you guys, don't vote for it" and more to "Don't commit a felony on the eve of your election."

So was the master plan to convince rich sociopaths to see the error of their ways? :confused:

Because I'm pretty sure the goal is to just get them the gently caress out of power as soon as possible.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

You're having a freakout because I said he isn't going to win. So, yeah, it's entirely you.

Can you just go back to playing Overwatch? Jesus you people are insufferable with this poo poo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hail orb

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What a quist twist.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Uh duhhhh durrrrrr duhhhhhhh

I am so calm and therefore smart

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

loving seriously, I said it a few pages back, I'll say it again, Montana is a definitely purple state, the governor and a senator are democrats! And frequently have been for ages! Sure Tester isn't anywhere near leftists on a whole lot of issues, but he's better than nothing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress off, your white noise posting is repetitive and awful

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Seriously. Montana might be a mid-country state but they're actually pretty progressive. They're way more of the "just let us do our thing" type than they are national Republicans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Uh duhhhh durrrrrr duhhhhhhh

I am so calm and therefore smart

No, I'm just tired of you freaking out the second anyone doesn't leap into your "everything is great and it's all going to be great and just be hopeful' hugparty, where any time I post something remotely negative in this thread you come at me like a frigging rabid honey badger.

Buca di Bepis posted:

gently caress off, your white noise posting is repetitive and awful

So report me and move on. v:shobon:v

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I dont think so. Is there anything less than mattering but is still more than nothing? Possibly...ing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lemming posted:

Hail orb

The chaos orb claims its first of many victims.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Plus there was Brian Schweitzer before him and Jon Tester as Senator since 2007. Like I said earlier, Montana isn't a GOP bastion. It's always a tough race but it's definitely doable for a Democrat to win the House seat. It hasn't been held by a Dem since the early 90s but the trade winds are shifting.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/757914951868485632

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Unless Montana is hellbent on voting in a violent uncontrollable animal because they think bloodlust is a positive in a man running for legislative office... maybe?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rigel posted:

yeah, everyone knows whats going on with Fox. They are burning Gianforte now so that they can explain to their audience that the crazyman who committed a felony in front of 3 and a half witnesses the night before the election did not lose because of Trump or health care.

That seems pretty likely.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

D-Pad posted:

This thread is moving so fast I can't keep up so apologies if this has already been posted.

Reposts are better than the "what happened while I was" posts.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

My friends in MT claim Quist will lose because nothing matters (still).

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Here is the account from the Fox News team that was in the room when it happened. This is gold because if Fox News is reporting it then it will be a lot harder for conservatives to claim it is fake news. Also, they claim that not only did he body slam him, but he then got on top of him and started punching him:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

This is akin to being caught holding a loaded weapon. He is done...his political career is not coming back from this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Raylen posted:

Plus there was Brian Schweitzer before him and Jon Tester as Senator since 2007. Like I said earlier, Montana isn't a GOP bastion. It's always a tough race but it's definitely doable for a Democrat to win the House seat. It hasn't been held by a Dem since the early 90s but the trade winds are shifting.

It just seems odd to me that a state with one at-large district has a completely different dynamic from its Senate races.

Montana is probably the weirdest state in the Union electorally.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'm just tired of you freaking out the second anyone doesn't leap into your "everything is great and it's all going to be great and just be hopeful' hugparty, where any time I post something remotely negative in this thread you come at me like a frigging rabid honey badger.

So you can't read while you post the same garbage again and again.

If you can explain how I'm saying everything is rosy, I'd love to see it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hastings posted:

This is akin to being caught holding a loaded weapon. He is done...his political career is not coming back from this.

I'm not sure being caught with a loaded weapon is a detriment in the US.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Non-religious (well, less religious) rural america is definitely a demographic that the Dems should reach out more to. While they're not super-liberal, there's a lot of decent folk out there who definitely feel marginalized now that "their" party has turned into the same religious nutjobs they're terrified of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Spiffster posted:

Should that gif just be put in the OP at this point as a Status of the news?

The other option when things go south should be This one

So, what has to happen before we start posting "Stop, Stop! He's already dead..."?

• Locked thread