Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Back to the days of quality Mario crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingSlime posted:

People always describe their favorite animes with compliments such as "it doesn't take itself too seriously" but my hot take is that storytelling that takes itself seriously is cool and good, and actually requires skill to pull off. That's why we all made ironic art/song lyrics/comics/whatever as kids or young adults, being "funny" and ironic is a nice podium you can stand behind and hide your insecurities in.

Wow this post got away from me. In conclusion someone point me to good animes that take themselves seriously and aren't 10000 episodes long
concrete revolutio, nana, kino's journey

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also echoes is good and all the best units in the game are melee guys

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Also, Kyousougiga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a silent voice just came out in english like, today, but it's a great movie
chihayafuru
beck
the count of monte cristo
lain
mononoke (the 2000s anime, not the ghibli movie)

all of these are like 13-26 episodes long and are Good.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Gosenzosama Banbanzai and Brigadoon are two of the best animes I've seen in years so I'd give a solid rec to them

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*hitting thread bars with nightstick*

Stop talking about anime in there!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress the police

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend was telling me about a game called Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and it turns out he wasn't joking???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's an okay rhythm game though the song selection is pretty limited.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

*hitting thread bars with nightstick*

Stop talking about anime in there!

crying about what people are talking about carries even less weight when you aren't the OP

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

My friend was telling me about a game called Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and it turns out he wasn't joking???

Yes, this is the title track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAv8_I7e_CA

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The gameplay looks serviceable and it was a dumb idea to have the characters exclaim "Yeah yeah!" every two seconds but the animations are enchanting, I'll watch a few of these before bed I think

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I ended up turning the voices off yeah

Though that was mainly because it physically hurts to hear English speakers use Japanese honourifics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wouldn't recommend buying it unless it's very cheap tho, the song list is really tiny

good op though.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Wandle Cax posted:

I can only find individual books for those games, i guess any compendium might have been a special order or limited run thing, something like that from the mid 90s would be very difficult to find I imagine

Yeah my library had one and it's gone. It had a bunch of cool extra stuff about the games and I was hoping to flip through it again

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The gameplay looks serviceable and it was a dumb idea to have the characters exclaim "Yeah yeah!" every two seconds but the animations are enchanting, I'll watch a few of these before bed I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyBV4WTlSE

I always crack up at how well this matches up while also being extremely inappropriate.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bicyclops posted:

the only video game thing i can think of with toes is whichever Ninja Turtles game you step on something that hurts you and they say "My toe! My toe!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm sorry i joked about dating futaba, thread, she just told me how old she is last night and :yikes:

also, i'm pretty sure videodrome is the canonical prequel to the persona series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
old king allant is a cool boss and demon's souls has a cool ending, i liked it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

precision posted:

i'm sorry i joked about dating futaba, thread, she just told me how old she is last night and :yikes:

if this is persona she's only a year younger than the protagonist. It's weird for other reasons but atlus evidently didn't care about those

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Motto posted:

if this is persona she's only a year younger than the protagonist. It's weird for other reasons but atlus evidently didn't care about those

i'm supposed to be 15? okay japan, i'll just be getting drunk with reporters and interning for bernie sanders

i thought the protag, ann and ryuji were 17, makoto and yusuke 18, futaba 16, so apparently i was off by 2 years in every case.

also i'm really, really not sure why atlus decided to have a gay panic scene out of nowhere that served no purpose o_O

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much all of the Persona games have an obligatory "oh no is everybody gay?!?! Are the gays gonna make me gay?!? Haha no nobody's gay except them it's alright Japan" scene, it is a plot beat they just can't let go of

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cause the director of the modern persona series is a weirdo who saw two gay guys on a japanese talk show in 1999 and has been having a panic attack ever since

CJacobs posted:

Pretty much all of the Persona games have an obligatory "oh no is everybody gay?!?! Haha no nobody's gay it's alright Japan" scene
idk if you meant it it this way but it isn't really 'hahaha japan' p3-p5 are mildly regressive even by jp standards

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't. I meant that the scenes in question are meant to reassure regressive JP video game players that those wacky gays can't trick them into liking boys.

edit: Which is a silly goal because it's not like that would work even if it was the case

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 25, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Persona games all have those weird gender/sexuality moments because of things like the director thinking that a man can't be just friends with a woman because he never had any female friends, and I assume they would be worse if everyone else on the team wasn't trying to walk back of it as much as possible.

It's a shame that regressive stuff pops up its head in P5 every so often, because other characters like Lala-chan are great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saKbqXW49AA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a thing about modern persona that ticks me off especially when you actually look at persona 2 and see how fuckin chill it is with people being gay, but also persona 4 has a character who is the butt of ugly fat jokes while persona 2 has a character who's entire thing is about how her weight doesn't matter to the people who love her for being a genuinely beautiful, sweet person, and it's not something she needs to change in fear of people rejecting her so i guess tripping up on messages about acceptance and love that one of the earlier, darker games in the series nailed way better is just a trend with the people heading modern persona

persona 2 is loving awful to play without cheats to speed through the gameplay these days, but if you're willing to burn through it on an emulator with infinite hp cheats on and fast forwarding through all the actual gameplay, or ok with just looking at an lp, i actually really, really recommend giving it a look because it's maybe one of the best written jrpgs i've ever played and has consistently funny, upbeat and interesting character writing, great music, a really dark tone that's lifted up in cool ways by a bright and energetic cast that by the end have worked through all of their big personal issues and are just ready to kick some rear end, and you fight nazi super soldiers

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah a lot of people hype up modern persona but truthfully they've always come across as kinda weaselly, mean-spirited games, worming their way out of difficult questions whenever possible. P3 wore it a lot better since it wasn't really about people having multiple sides to themselves or reforming society, it's just about people wanting to live, but P4 going 'everyone has hidden depths...' to the point of sanctifying mr. morooka five seconds after his death but then the fat girl is the world's worst human being because she's fat and wants to gently caress is terrible. adachi literally raped and murdered a woman and the game goes out of its way to at least give him motivation and some kind of justification, but hanako is just literally satan because, idk, yosuke isn't attracted to her and she's overbearing.

this isn't even a ~fatshaming~ thing, I don't really care that P4 made some lame fat jokes, it's just insane to see contrasted with everything else the game is trying to tell you it's about. it'd be like if P3 had a guy commit suicide and everyone stood around and applauded him for his brave decision.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 2: eternal punishment, also, is Very Important

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

persona 2: eternal punishment, also, is Very Important

baofu is the best character

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i could go on and on about persona 2 forever but i'm just end on, maya is basically the best persona character ever, and this is in a game with all of the best persona characters ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPpW0AORxc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

old king allant is a cool boss and demon's souls has a cool ending, i liked it

Which ending did you choose

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Which ending did you choose

put the old one to sleep

i don't kill my friends

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I might spend most of tomorrow playing Vanquish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

put the old one to sleep

i don't kill my friends

Yeah that's what I did. I wish killing her gave something cool instead of just a bunch of Souls, which are an infinite resource anyway

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I might spend most of tomorrow playing Vanquish

there's a reason i pushed to beat demon's souls before tomorrow

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everyone

I tried to sleep and succeeded for all of 1 hour so now I'm here, tired and unable to sleep >:[

How's everyone doing?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry :(

I've had good luck with dandilion root tea as a sleep aid.

And by that, I mean I started drinking it for anecdotal liver benefits, and I was drinking it in the morning and found myself need naps at 10 am. So I switched to drinking it at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nah it's fine, I'm always tired and my sleep is always hosed up. The other day I slept for about 12 hours and yesterday I slept for maybe 3 hours and then 4 hours and then 4 more hours so it's just all over the place.

• Locked thread