Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr President posted:

Has the Far Cry keyart leak been brought up yet? The game is indeed about a white supremacist group/cult taking over a town in Montana

Ahahaha what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The mainstream moral panic over video games ended a long time ago but I wonder if this could bring it back?

.....ehhhh probably not. Conservatives have transgender bathrooms and what the gently caress ever to worry about right now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The mainstream moral panic over video games ended a long time ago but I wonder if this could bring it back?

.....ehhhh probably not. Conservatives have transgender bathrooms and what the gently caress ever to worry about right now.

There will be some supremely lovely mods for this one, even moreso than usual.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that supposed to be a dog behind a table or a dogs head on the table? That is so poorly cobbled together I have no idea.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's a dog on a table. The paws are right there, dude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oxxidation posted:

It's a dog on a table. The paws are right there, dude.

You can also see it's neck and part of the torso.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is the white dog with the red cross supposed to be like the flag of Switzerland?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Is the Sinner the name of the Montana Pro football team???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The perspective on it doesn't work at all. His body would be going right through the table. Immersion ruined.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is the white dog with the red cross supposed to be like the flag of Switzerland?

The dog is a Templar

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A cursory google shows that some animals native to Montana include Black Bears, Mountain Goats, Mountain LIONS!, Elk, At least one species of Moose, Jackrabbits and GRIZZLY SOW so yeah this game will probably rule. I look forward to sewing myself a leather badge holster/combination cellphone case out of moose nuts!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Who is Troy Baker voicing?

Yes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought he was busy playing Lara Croft in the new TR game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be a can of worms for the thread so let me stress that both games are obviously very fun and well made, but as someone who has put about 30 hours into Nioh this week and about 5-6 hours into Bloodborne today, it's really funny remembering when BB launched and people were like "OMG it's Dark Souls turned up to 11! Breakneck Speed! The parry mechanic is so deep!" when Nioh's mechanics just soundly clown on BB as far as I can tell.

I am already more invested in whatever is going on on Bloodborne (I literally just downed Father Gas & Cleric Beast) than Nioh's plodding epic saga, and I like Yharnam more than I like anything from Nioh except for maybe the one map that's like some yellow mountain pass with a catacombs.

Basically Nioh seems like the pinnacle of the Blood Souls games mechanically, but Bloodborne just looks cooler. I think I'll probably beat BB before I go back to Nioh though, I'm not switching controls schemes like that again!

They are really pretty different styles of games. BB has less complex mechanics and a more methodical playstyle without "in depth" combos or combos that are difficult to pull off.

Nioh has a lot more complexity and it's a lot faster, but because it has a huge stats and leveling component and is relatively unbalanced, it's really easy to just break the game.

Ultimately I feel like BB is a more technique-based game and Nioh is more about stats and gear. Or at least, stats and gear have a much bigger influence.

Despite superficial/obvious similarities, they are apples and oranges.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nioh has mechanics out the rear end and they are very solid at it's core, but it doesn't use them in any sort of balanced or interesting way. There is just more of them. It's not like the enemies do anything that interesting to make it feel like it has more depth. Bloodborne is a better game in every conceivable way, even if you don't take into account that Nioh is just a wholesale ripoff of a Fromsoft game wrapped in some junky JRPG trappings.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that's really harsh, and I think selling Nioh and its legacy a bit short...

But yeah, BB is a really solid and well balanced game experience in a way that is virtually unrivaled by any game, including Nioh.

Mostly I think it's totally okay for Nioh to be about breaking the game in a way that BB isn't. It's a different experience and it's not meant to be the same. Getting to exolode loot pinatas until you are high level with high level gear and your specializated gimmick build is abke to clown bosses is never what soulsgames were about, while Nioh is very much about that. And not by accident.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 25, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

Nioh has mechanics out the rear end and they are very solid at it's core, but it doesn't use them in any sort of balanced or interesting way. There is just more of them. It's not like the enemies do anything that interesting to make it feel like it has more depth. Bloodborne is a better game in every conceivable way, even if you don't take into account that Nioh is just a wholesale ripoff of a Fromsoft game wrapped in some junky JRPG trappings.

I quit BB at Paarl when the game came out and returned to it recently after playing Nioh through to way of the demon. I am loving BB, but I spent more time on Nioh and enjoyed that game a lot more. I have barely died in BB thanks to Nioh rewiring my brain. The combat can be kind of easy once you are endlessly aggressive and the bosses aren't interesting because I've just loving crushed them one by one on my path to the bizarrely gated DLC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But Nioh is much easier than BB.

Like insanely so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...BB's DLC is 3 bosses in and it's endgame difficulty. It's hardly gated at all.

Edit: ^ also that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

But Nioh is much easier than BB.

Like insanely so.

I found BB very hard and quit at Paarl. I am finding it incredibly easy this run because I spent so much time playing Nioh which has made me twitchy. I feel like the BB enemies have easier tells as well.

Snak posted:

...BB's DLC is 3 bosses in and it's endgame difficulty. It's hardly gated at all.

Edit: ^ also that.

It's bizarrely gated when you finish NG and don't want to play the DLC on NG+ difficulty, leaving you with the choice of starting a new dude and racing to level 60 or just sucking it up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think that the BB DLC access method is bad in the way it runs and get that From like to tie their stuff together narratively. I just didn't understand how it worked and expected something more straight forward because I'm a baby.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's not bizarre gating. That's play preference.

Souls games are designed to be played more than once. The dlc is available for 4/5 of the game. If you want to play it on ng, don't beat the game. Or start a new guy. It's your choice.

I'm notnsure what the alternative would be. Even if it was available immediately, you are still gonna want to be like, level 45 to take on ludwig. So it's the same. I'm not sure what you're proposing.

Edit: You made your second post while I was typing. Fair enough :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snak posted:

That's not bizarre gating. That's play preference.

Souls games are designed to be played more than once. The dlc is available for 4/5 of the game. If you want to play it on ng, don't beat the game. Or start a new guy. It's your choice.

I'm notnsure what the alternative would be. Even if it was available immediately, you are still gonna want to be like, level 45 to take on ludwig. So it's the same. I'm not sure what you're proposing.

Edit: You made your second post while I was typing. Fair enough :)

I had to stomp into the BB thread yelling "WHY GAME NO DLC ME? GAME BAD."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

Nioh was in development before BB.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nioh was in development hell yeah. That doesn't mean anything tho,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

poptart_fairy posted:

Nioh was in development before BB.

It's also Ninja Gaiden including all the dumb Team Ninja historical fantasy poo poo which owns in it's own inscrutable way. I know I can dig around in BB for the plot or story or whatever, but I'm just as happy smashing the poo poo out of disgusting monsters because poo poo like that shouldn't be allowed to live.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nioh was in development hell yeah. That doesn't mean anything tho,

Whining about third person action games being rip-offs of each other is dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pointing out games influence each other is just calling a thing a thing, not worth getting upset about.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm not upset, just pointing out veni is being dumb again. He's got a really weird thing about people liking The Wrong Game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i mean just because nioh started development before bloodborne doesnt mean it couldnt have taken stuff from fromsoft games? that doesnt seem like a very contentious statement to me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The gently caress y'all get into while I was gone 🤦🏽‍♀️

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, but complaining it's a "wholesale rip-off" coupled with his previous need to run in and endlessly whinge about people enjoying the game is getting pretty tiring tbh.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The gently caress y'all get into while I was gone 🤦🏽‍♀️

Injustice 2. It's fine.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mr President posted:

Has the Far Cry keyart leak been brought up yet? The game is indeed about a white supremacist group/cult taking over a town in Montana

This looks cool as hell. I'm totally up for gunning down a bunch of white supremacists. I've never played a far cry game before, is far cry 4 worth picking up? Its pretty cheap

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FC4 is good if you haven't burned out on that type of game yet.

I hate on Ubisoft a lot but if FC5 is a white genocide simulator then gently caress it, bring on the icons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

FC4 is good if you haven't burned out on that type of game yet.

I hate on Ubisoft a lot but if FC5 is a white genocide simulator then gently caress it, bring on the icons.

Just when I thought I was out... they go and put a bunch of iron crosses on the US flag lmao.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

On the giantbombcast Dan had said something like, all the games that started development after, and would be inspired by, True Detective would start to come out round now. I think it was in regards to Outlast and RE7, but it'd be rad if the final boss of Far Cry 5 took place in Carcosa montana-edition.

Also the Cult Wolf better become your friend.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't wait to see what subtleties and nuances of American culture and politics France's Ubisoft will bring to the table.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

*nods sagely* Yes, now when they turn their sights to America is the time to wonder if the Far Cry series responsibly depicts cultures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my verisimilitude!!!