Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They hosed it up with the first major PS4 patch that hit ~2 weeks after launch. It was smooth before that; luckily I finished the game on the day that big patch hit so I never noticed it. Lots of people complaining on reddit about it though.

On the flipside for PC, the most recent patch seems to have actually fixed the FPS absolutely making GBS threads the bed the moment you entered the Power Plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I prey this game isn't also a spiritual successor to system shock 2's sales figures.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the flipside for PC, the most recent patch seems to have actually fixed the FPS absolutely making GBS threads the bed the moment you entered the Power Plant.

Is that the beta patch 1.03?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anti-Hero posted:

Is that the beta patch 1.03?

It went live a couple of days ago.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I went out to the derelict shuttle, but don't have repair 3 to get in that back door. What is back there? Is it worth it to come back later?

Also, I found a satellite floating around that looks like sputnik. Does it do anything?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

D-Pad posted:

I went out to the derelict shuttle, but don't have repair 3 to get in that back door. What is back there? Is it worth it to come back later?

Also, I found a satellite floating around that looks like sputnik. Does it do anything?

That satellite is part of a January quest later on.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It went live a couple of days ago.

Oh thanks, nice. I opted out of the beta and nothing downloaded so I presume I'm all up to date. I played the reactor section pre-patch so it will be nice to experience this on my next run.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Why do some stackable items refuse to autostack on my inventory? It's the worst with typhon chunks, but I've had it happen with spare parts and junk as well. I have to click the autosort button frequently to keep it in order.

Playing on PC

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Copper Vein posted:

Why do some stackable items refuse to autostack on my inventory? It's the worst with typhon chunks, but I've had it happen with spare parts and junk as well. I have to click the autosort button frequently to keep it in order.

Playing on PC

I just got used to slamming 'y' whenever the "inventory is full" transfer screen pops up. Dunno why it happens with some items.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

How do I make a gloo gun bridge? I have encountered one an NPC made, but I can't get a gloo thingy to stick to another gloo thingy. I can only get them to stick to a wall not each other. I want to build a bridge to something up in the air that isn't near any walls, but I can't make it work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You cannot stick gloo to gloo, so you can't play minecraft I'm afraid

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That said, what you can do is build a vertical wall with spaces between that are one Morgan high. Shoot one, jump on it, then aim just above your head and shoot another. Back up while jumping and you'll get the prompt to vault up to it. You can climb any wall this way.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CJacobs posted:

That said, what you can do is build a vertical wall with spaces between that are one Morgan high. Shoot one, jump on it, then aim just above your head and shoot another. Back up while jumping and you'll get the prompt to vault up to it. You can climb any wall this way.

So long as it isn't glass, but most glass walls have frames that do attach.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

and that is pretty amazing if you think about it. The gloo gun must have been a nightmare to design around, and they did it without even making 90% of the surfaces in the game unglooable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only area I can think of that you can't gloo your way up is the Arboretum, which doesn't much matter because the place loses gravity control late in the game anyway.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pollyanna posted:

Going through the game, my impression was that Minerals were by far the most important and least common materials. Food and bio is easy to find and break down, synthetics less so but aren't used as much, and exotics explode if you have the right neuromod installed, but minerals really aren't very common at all yet are constantly used. Is it just me who was always mineral-poor?

Use recycling grenades on turrets and operators(there's a bunch of broken operators in hardware labs on the shelves for example, so you can stack them into a nice pile for recycling), that gives a pretty big return of minerals.
Haven't found anything like that for synthetics, I only get those by recycling usable items - grenade types I don't use much or extra suit repair kits.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

Playing on PC

To the best I can tell, it happens when you loot something you got access to with Necropsy or Dismantle from a corpse.

Digirat posted:

and that is pretty amazing if you think about it. The gloo gun must have been a nightmare to design around, and they did it without even making 90% of the surfaces in the game unglooable.
I'm reminded of Portal 2 having so many surfaces that wouldn't take portals, after that was much rarer in Portal 1.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The only area I can think of that you can't gloo your way up is the Arboretum, which doesn't much matter because the place loses gravity control late in the game anyway.

Actually I was trying to gloo a bridge up to the escape pod, but I managed to gloo along the frame over to it. Does Alex's tracking bracelet do anything?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zereth posted:

I'm reminded of Portal 2 having so many surfaces that wouldn't take portals, after that was much rarer in Portal 1.

To be fair, that was generally a result of playtesting feedback rather than "we want them to play a single, absolute, specific way :toughguy:" if you listen to their development commentary.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Ending chatte.

Someone noticed the ending sequence video glitches for a frame:

Maybe everyone's dead and only operators are left.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unormal posted:

Ending chatte.

Someone noticed the ending sequence video glitches for a frame:

Maybe everyone's dead and only operators are left.

I had my phone set to auto display spoilers, and for a second I was :stonk:

I think it's when the game loads assets in.

Or maybe not....
Maybe it's actually a simulation of a simulation of a simulation at the start. :tinfoil:

E- of a simulation as it's a game. Holy poo poo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 25, 2017

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I had my phone set to auto display spoilers, and for a second I was :stonk:

I think it's when the game loads assets in.

Or maybe not....
Maybe it's actually a simulation of a simulation of a simulation at the start. :tinfoil:

There's definitely a pretty obviously intentional glitch in the opening helicopter video where it flashes to bluescreen for a frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n05C9HNyWEQ

You can see the ending frame at around 19:04.5 here <massive ending spoilers obviously>:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHJvCOLgmA

Unormal fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't even know what to think if that's true. Hah.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't even know what to think if that's true. Hah.

I mean it's probably a legit glitch but the game's whole shtick is kind of glitch/mindfuckery so :tinfoil:

(P.S. also anyone who liked this game should play Soma immediately)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It doesn't look like a typical glitch as the camera wasn't even facing in that direction. The true ending was just another test of the typhon's final choice. I guess Alex probably died on the station and his image is only there in order to have an actual human to relate to.

A few operators with the station's key crew's personalities/knowledge copied onto them is what's left of free humanity. It makes sense as we've seen with the example of January - those operators can be quite motivated in fulfilling their programmed mission to the point of running tests on typhon over and over again. Maybe they were all made and programmed by Morgan with all those parts he requisitioned before he blew up the station so that there's still a backup plan when everybody's dead. It makes sense as why would some of those crew members create operator copies of themselves? Alex wouldn't be able to do that either ad he doesn't have the technical ability to do it. Only Morgan could do that and he had a motivation for it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They did very well making the story hang together then. Hats off to them on that. That's excellent.

quote:

Hows the game play? I spoiled myself on the story and really liked it. If soma plays well I will get it for sure.

I also have to get Arx Fatalis.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 25, 2017

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

They did very well making the story hang together then. Hats off to them on that. That's excellent.

Hows the game play? I spoiled myself on the story and really liked it. If soma plays well I will get it for sure.

There's not any real gunplay, it's an incredibly well crafted/written sci fi walking simulator. It's like a super good implementation of the story part of *shock minus any shooting parts. Arx Fatalis is great.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 25, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Be warned that Arx Fatalis is not... polished. I remember the jumping physics feeling really weird, for example.

It's great, it's just, well, a much earlier game from when the studio was not as experienced. (And old enough you might need to get the Arx Libertatis fan patch thing to get it to run properly.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unormal posted:

I mean it's probably a legit glitch but the game's whole shtick is kind of glitch/mindfuckery so :tinfoil:

God yes.

You'll miss the guns but the atmosphere is second to none. Just don't google loving anything plot related because seriously, just don't.

In fact buy it blind. Just be aware no guns.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zereth posted:

Be warned that Arx Fatalis is not... polished. I remember the jumping physics feeling really weird, for example.

It's great, it's just, well, a much earlier game from when the studio was not as experienced. (And old enough you might need to get the Arx Libertatis fan patch thing to get it to run properly.)

Nice. Thanks very much for the heads up, and the patch!

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Having to constantly fight hordes of operators which each take like 5 shots point blank from my fully upgraded shotgun near what I'm guessing is the end is the first time I've rage quit this game.

Does disabling your tracking actually do anything? It sure doesn't seem like it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Metanaut posted:

Having to constantly fight hordes of operators which each take like 5 shots point blank from my fully upgraded shotgun near what I'm guessing is the end is the first time I've rage quit this game.

Does disabling your tracking actually do anything? It sure doesn't seem like it.

Stun gun!
Operators hate this one weird trick.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 25, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stun gun!
Operators hate this one secret trick.

Stun gun is the best most easily overlooked weapon.

Sure it's trash on mimics and weavers but holy poo poo it's so good on so many other things.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's so cathartic after blasting away at operators and turrets with the shotgun. Two shots I think, with fully upgraded damage for an operator? Get in.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palpek posted:

It doesn't look like a typical glitch as the camera wasn't even facing in that direction. The true ending was just another test of the typhon's final choice. I guess Alex probably died on the station and his image is only there in order to have an actual human to relate to.

A few operators with the station's key crew's personalities/knowledge copied onto them is what's left of free humanity. It makes sense as we've seen with the example of January - those operators can be quite motivated in fulfilling their programmed mission to the point of running tests on typhon over and over again. Maybe they were all made and programmed by Morgan with all those parts he requisitioned before he blew up the station so that there's still a backup plan when everybody's dead. It makes sense as why would some of those crew members create operator copies of themselves? Alex wouldn't be able to do that either ad he doesn't have the technical ability to do it. Only Morgan could do that and he had a motivation for it.

So - I wonder what happened to Morgan?

I wonder if originally, the Nullwave was used, and we're still on the Talos one, somewhere we haven't seen, or a new construction. But that's only because I assumed it was possible to complete the game as it happened originally, and that might not be the case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 25, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

So - I wonder what happened to Morgan?
I wonder if originally, the Nullwave was used, and we're still on the Talos one, somewhere we haven't seen.

It'll turn out that Morgan is in the next room asleep and snoring so they can become the voice of mission control in the sequel or something

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DancingShade posted:

It'll turn out that Morgan is in the next room asleep and snoring so they can become the voice of mission control in the sequel or something

I don't suppose a February operator could do all that, could they. January seems smart but very limited. No actually that's silly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Metanaut posted:

If you want some peace and quiet there's a cap on the number of operators in an area, so if you damage them only until they're broken rather than destroyed they're not able to spawn in more. Also, if you can lift heavy objects try putting one in front of the dispenser.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

DancingShade posted:

Stun gun is the best most easily overlooked weapon.

Sure it's trash on mimics and weavers but holy poo poo it's so good on so many other things.

agreed on mimics, that's what the gloo gun is for, but hit a weaver with it before it detects you and you can get a point blank shotgun sneak attack on it with little difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stun gun!
Operators hate this one weird trick.

Or Q-Beam. Operators are resistant to bullets (pistol and shotgun) because of their metal chassis, but Science! goes right through it.
Note that upgrading the Q-beam can make it much more ammo efficient. It always loads 100 cells at a time, extending the firing time means it fires for longer using those same 100 cells.