Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The season 4 big bad is going to threaten the very existence of the speed force. Speed Force releases Barry to save the day at end of episode 1/2. He spends the season doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The season 4 big bad is going to threaten the very existence of the speed force. Speed Force releases Barry to save the day at end of episode 1/2. He spends the season doing so.

With amnesia of course. It went over so well this season they'll make it so he doesn't know who he is or how to use his powers. #BartsBack

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Wait, can someone explain to me exactly why there always needs to be a speedster in the speed-force prison?

I mean, I get the speed-force went nuts when Jay got out, but... why did it go nuts? What's the plot device here?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Cosmic Treadmill. Gotta keep the speedforce going.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

bah

since they are going to commit to another speedster, have it be wally's lab rat from college.

:p

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rohaq posted:

speed-force

Rohaq posted:

I get the speed-force, but... why

Come on man. How many times do we have to post the gif?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean I kinda get why Barry is in the speed force, they need him to balanace out all the stupid poo poo he has done and Barry feels the need to replace Jay because its no one's fault but Barry's (sorta) the Speedforce is out of whack.

Still, its kinda dick to Barry.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh don't worry he'll be out of prison within an episode or two to defeat another secret speedster.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh don't worry he'll be out of prison within an episode or two to defeat another secret speedster.

I dunno about that. We've got one show that has a supporting cast but no lead, and another show with a lead but no supporting cast...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I dunno about that. We've got one show that has a supporting cast but no lead, and another show with a lead but no supporting cast...

I'm all for a main character swap. Slade hanging out with Cisco while Barry solves every Arrow problem in a 30 minute sitcom.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rohaq posted:

Wait, can someone explain to me exactly why there always needs to be a speedster in the speed-force prison?

I mean, I get the speed-force went nuts when Jay got out, but... why did it go nuts? What's the plot device here?

They built it into a load-bearing pillar of the speedforce, pretty much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Something something "I ain't gotta explain poo poo."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really feel like they should have to explain something

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If destroying the Black Flash is as easy as shooting a freeze beam at it and Flashpoint Eobard doesn't give a gently caress about time anymore because he's already being chased by BF and outrunning his paradox then yeah sorry, it's time to explain some poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You're making assumptions that the Black Flash is actually gone for good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Bruceski posted:

I like to think that before Flashpoint the speedprison didn't exist, but once Barry hosed the timeline sideways it always existed as a constant in the Speedforce in the new timeline.

So just another thing Barry's ruined with his shenanigans.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

If destroying the Black Flash is as easy as shooting a freeze beam at it and Flashpoint Eobard doesn't give a gently caress about time anymore because he's already being chased by BF and outrunning his paradox then yeah sorry, it's time to explain some poo poo.

Spped. Force.

Say it with me now.

Speed.

Force.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

I would be so down for the show using empathy to solve the problem for once.
That could have been so much better than what actually happened.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have real problems with the way they write the speed force in this show. Thawne and Zolomon can do what the gently caress ever but it seems to want to punish Barry forever and ever and ever and ever...
Well, can you blame it?

nine-gear crow posted:

Or flip the whole thing on its head. Create a time remnant and go "dude, love her with all your heart, be a great friend to everyone, and be a better Flash than I was. Laters!" and then fling himself into the Speed Force and then just follow that Barry for the rest of the show and all the wacky CW DramaTM guaranteed to come about because of it.
A "time remnant" is just whichever one they arbitrarily decide isn't the "real" one though. Travel back in time ten minutes and stop yourself from travelling back in time and now there's two of you. One of them could still voluntarily sacrifice themself, but if that plan was made before the duplicate was made then they'd both want to be the one to make the sacrifice because they'd both think of themselves as the "real" Barry.

ChristopherRobin posted:

Except instead of Barry creating a time remnant, during the final battle they actually get through to Savitar and figure out how to keep him in existence through SPEEDFORCE. Then the ending plays through exactly the same way except instead of Barry going into the speedforce it's Savitar by choice to save everyone. It'd be a good redemption story flip on them trapping him there.
Forget the final battle, have the team win him over with kindness and then while they're trying to save him from Black Flash they somehow free Jay, and then Savitar willingly goes back into the prison to save everyone.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Say it with me now.

Speed.

Force.
Speed... weed?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Rohaq posted:

Because two lines of dialogue from people who didn't make the thing in the first place and don't actually know anything about it said so

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Keep Barry locked in the Speed Force for a while. Then give us Impulse, played by Grant Gustin in a terrible wig.

And bring back Cowboy Wells, drat it!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I wish that Savatar lived and Barry still got sucked into the speed force, that way next season would have barry gone and evil barry showing up for occasional douchebaggery.

Also evil Caitlin who became not evil but not good but still a different person because *coldforce*

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 25, 2017

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I think it's obvious what's going to happen. Grant Gustin is gonna show up next season on Agents of Shield as Buried Alien :agesilaus:

"Marvel Database" posted:

"Buried Alien" (not his real name, but he recalled it as being "something that sounded like that") was an amnesiac speedster from another universe, who was discovered by the Runner and invited to participate in his great race. He beat several other speedsters and was declared to be the fastest man alive. "Buried Alien" was obviously an intended reference to Barry Allen, the Flash of the DC Universe. Besides a similar sounding "real" name, the character wore a tattered red costume with yellow accents and boots, felt like he had a "ball of energy -- like lightning -- inside of" him.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Should have put black flash in the speed force prison

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nameless Pete posted:

And bring back Cowboy Wells, drat it!

Get French Wells and have everyone keep referring to him as a mime, with him just going "What do you people think a mime is? Does that word mean something different on this Earth? :psyduck:"

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
That was a whole lot of bafflegab, some of it satisfying, some of it not. It feels like by giving Barry a "redemption" they're sort
of rebooting him so they can go back to simpler, more season 1ish Flash shenanigans for next season which is a great idea.

I wish they hadn't complicated-up all their Speed Force and time travel business because these things can be a really fun way to
spice up or limit stories (like when Mark Waid wrote the book and introduced the Speed Force idea) but hopefully they can leave it
alone now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nothing But Hate posted:

Should have put black flash in the speed force prison

Nah, instead they just murdered Black Flash.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So Thawne instantly disappears when Eddie dies but Evil Berry gets to have a mini murder vacation.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

This was a good way to end the series.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Finally shes dead, hope they never bring her back. God, what a boring character. Hope everything implodes now that she's gone and Barry eventually hooks up with Kara, his one true waifu.

We were so close :negative:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

as a wwe fan the collision here made my brain freeze up for a sec

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

So Thawne instantly disappears when Eddie dies but Evil Berry gets to have a mini murder vacation.

OG Eobard was standing right next to Eddie when he shot himself so there was no time lag for the time paradox to catch up with him and microwave him out of existence. hosed Up Flashpoint Time Remnant Eobard spent months trying to outrun the time paradox by leaping all over time so it couldn't catch up with him.

Or whatever.

Speedforce. I ain't gotta explain shi:kheldragar:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, I understand what a closed time loop is, but my question is: what did Flashpoint have to do with Savitar's origin? Flashpoint was the source of Savitar's recruitment drive, sure, but the whole closed loop thing that took up the latter half of the season could just as easily have happened without Flashpoint. Barry's responsible for all the little changes in time, but how is our present Barry responsible for Savitar?

lol who am I kidding I know the answer is Speedforce

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The answer is always some variation of: "Uh uh, uh..."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think flashpoint is just the mechanism by which Savitar was able to escape from the prison in which Barry trapped him the first time round - by enabling him to create Wally. Or some such thing

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Flashpoint did enough to change Barry's timeline that it led to Julian, and Alchemy, and subsequently Savitar and the loop.

They should have done more to dig into this concept, but Flashpoint basically remade Earth 1 into another alternate universe Earth. Flashpoint just made Earth 1 the origin of Savitar, and Earth 2045 is probably dealing with the same poo poo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Savitar also mentioned that the time fuckery which Barry did to create Flashpoint messed with time enough so that the creation of Savitar was essentially a fixed event, and Barry taking his own life wouldn't cause Savitar to be erased from history (like with Eddie and Reverse Flash).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Really wish they'd followed through with the pacifist ending. That might have redeemed the entire mess of the season for me.

Felton's character sucks now. He was much better when he was a jerk.

Caitlin better come back. I miss her being a wet blanket on Cisco's ridiculous ideas.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Chokes McGee posted:

as a wwe fan the collision here made my brain freeze up for a sec

way cooler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZo2tSP83w

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

rapeface posted:

Felton's character sucks now. He was much better when he was a jerk.

I don't see the point of him and I don't know why they would keep him around because this show does not need more supporting characters, let alone more people hanging around Star Labs telling Barry to run faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He survived his romance with Caitlin. That's not nothing. Almost nothing, but not nothing.

• Locked thread