Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think I read in NYT that apparently usually over half of Montana votes early. So if Gianforte had a good lead, him losing votes today might not be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Smol posted:

I think I read in NYT that apparently usually over half of Montana votes early. So if Gianforte had a good lead, him losing votes today might not be enough.

except this race was going to be close before the criminal assault. If this was a typical hellhole with a good GOP candidate and a typical dem it may be lost, but we already had a terrific dem, a horrible republican, and a race that was going to be close. The election day voters are going to be strongly tilted towards quist and they wont have much ground to make up because it was supposed to be close anyway

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I saw hundreds and hundreds of new posts, wondering what stupid or awful thing Trump did today.

And it wasn't even Trump this time!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Break out that banjo!

edit: holy poo poo, he can even play a flute. What can't Quist do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPaI5bTP48

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 25, 2017

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The most amazing this about this is how close they brought it to flesh tone. There's barely a noticeable border between the top of his head and the background. I suddenly feel like fish tacos.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Caros posted:

The final vote count was 217-213 with one absent who would have voted yes. We know that in the initial round (before things were changed) the total got as high at 223, though two of those were democrats who... I dunno, had a seizure or something. That means the republicans likely had, at minimum, 222 of the 216 votes that they needed. So no, one vote does not in fact matter. Democrats are unlikely to flip six house seats before 2016, so it really doesn't seem likely to matter in the grand scheme of things from a legislative sense.

It does, of course, matter in terms of optics and scaring house republicans. Which is why I would have prefered an outright loss rather than a bodyslam based loss.

I'll take my victory where I can get it, but a man can still dream, right?

Oh my bad I thought it was closer than that. Although you can't really conclude anything definite from intermediate vote-counts, like you said there were even two Democratic yes votes for a little while. House members play games with their vote during the window or sometimes just make a mistake. When you've already got Republicans touting their opposition to taking away health care from millions of people, and a bill coming back with changes that could alienate part of the Freedom Causus, these 3 House elections could very well make the difference.

Sure I'd prefer an unambiguous loss on Health Care to a bodyslam-based loss too. On the other hand, I'd still prefer a bodyslam-based loss to a narrow Republican win on the AHCA. The next two elections can still put the fear into the moderates: if GA-06 and whatever Mulvaney's SC district is go down, Republicans won't be able to tell themselves Montana was just a fluke.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

VitalSigns posted:

And there are two more house special elections coming up in June.

Where is the non-Georgia election?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hyrax Attack! posted:

He has $300 million? Why would he want to be in Congress? I'd buy a house in Kauai and go to weekly luaus.

They always want more, it's an addiction. Someone else's yacht is always bigger than yours.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I don't see why the focus on "scaring Republicans" since if they gave a poo poo in the first place, then they're probably already "scared" (and if they don't see the writing on the wall already, then a special election isn't going to make a big difference). And, a lot of them probably aren't too concerned with losing their seats anyway. The Democratic party is the craven politician's guild - the GOP is there to push through the more heinous components of the ruling class's agenda, and the smarter rank-and-file already know that. Losing their seat in the line of duty just means richer rewards later on for them. For the rest, a scared GOP just means more voter suppression and propaganda and whatever other underhanded poo poo they can dream up. It's not going to change the agenda - that's locked in.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

paperwind posted:

I saw hundreds and hundreds of new posts, wondering what stupid or awful thing Trump did today.

And it wasn't even Trump this time!

Trump told Duterte that Duterte is doing a great job with the drug problem and also divulged we have two "nuclear submarines" off the coast of North Korea. Trump noted we totally don't want to use them. It is unclear if Trump meant nuclear powered or nuclear armed, since he likely does not understand the distinction.

Also his hotels aren't disclosing payments from foreign powers, abrogating his promise to do so.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Furnaceface posted:

Trump is going to claim the tape is a fake and say he has the real one then accidentally give the media the pee tape.

Trump has no idea how to make a tape or what a tape even looks like.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

To be honest, the BBQ is probably the main victim here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

RZApublican posted:

South Carolina's 5th congressional district special election

Mick Mulvaney's former district.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Really should go a step further and compare apples to apples: that's 72 deaths caused by foreign terrorists per year compared to a conservative estimate of 44,000 additional deaths per year likely to be caused by the AHCA.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Everyone knows that the true measure of geographical worth is miles of freshwater shoreline, which is why Minnesota is the best state in the nation.

Alaska is obviously superior.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

mango sentinel posted:

Trump told Duterte that Duterte is doing a great job with the drug problem and also divulged we have two "nuclear submarines" off the coast of North Korea. Trump noted we totally don't want to use them. It is unclear if Trump meant nuclear powered or nuclear armed, since he likely does not understand the distinction.

Also his hotels aren't disclosing payments from foreign powers, abrogating his promise to do so.

That certainly puts an interesting spin on his promise to solve the opioid crisis.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RZApublican posted:

California, Xavier Becerra's old seat. But it's not super interesting because due to California's Jungle Primary system, both candidates are Democrats :v:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mango sentinel posted:

Aren't all our submarines nuclear powered anyway? Anyway I don't think you'd stick an attack sub offshore just for the hell of it; they stick close to the carrier groups.

But yeah, he probably doesn't understand the distinction.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
South Carolina to replace Mulvaney. Don't get your hopes up.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

glowing-fish posted:

The highest point in Arkansas is 2700 feet.

That is a hill!

The highest point in Arkansas is 800 feet lower than my house in Montana, and I lived at the bottom of one of Montana's lower valleys.

Like, without exagerration, I grew up thinking of "mountains" as meaning places that are rocky, covered with snow 10 months a year, at least a mile above sea level, above the timberline...Like, you East Coast people know that "Timberline" isn't just a brand name for clothing, that is a real thing, an altitude where trees don't grow? You do know that, right?

"Montana is all a flat prairie." - glowing-fish if he lived in Nepal.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FourLeaf posted:

Rich white businessmen can get away with anything :shrug: If he faces consequences because of this, it'll only be because he's a politician under heavy public scrutiny already.

"He's a pillar of the community and this is a first time offense..." (because we never convicted him of the other offenses because he was a pillar of the community [rich] and it was a first time offense [every time]).

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Smol posted:

Billings Gazette, the paper that withdrew the endorsement, said it was only 37%. So it should be interesting.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Truth. Also:

https://twitter.com/missoulian/status/867598860700569600

Billings is the largest city, it's usually a bellweather battleground.

Missoula is hippies and students.

And another one. He's going to have to update his website soon!

http://helenair.com/news/local/inde...aign=user-share

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Probably armed since North Korea has been playing with nukes and missiles for a while.

Or maybe they just shoot down missiles and thats why every missile NC fires ends up a failure... That would actually make a ton of sense, I don't think its that hard to build a basic missile.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kilroy posted:

I don't see why the focus on "scaring Republicans" since if they gave a poo poo in the first place, then they're probably already "scared" (and if they don't see the writing on the wall already, then a special election isn't going to make a big difference). And, a lot of them probably aren't too concerned with losing their seats anyway. The Democratic party is the craven politician's guild - the GOP is there to push through the more heinous components of the ruling class's agenda, and the smarter rank-and-file already know that. Losing their seat in the line of duty just means richer rewards later on for them. For the rest, a scared GOP just means more voter suppression and propaganda and whatever other underhanded poo poo they can dream up. It's not going to change the agenda - that's locked in.

While I basically agree that an overconfident GOP would be easier to beat in some ways, even Democrats like winning. The more the GOP seems beatable, the more likely it is that the masses of Covoks will actually get off their "nothing matters" despair sofas and vote in 2018.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

RZApublican posted:

South Carolina. My district. I'm knocking on doors in this one as soon as it stops loving raining all of the time.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Erostratus posted:

Billings Gazette, the paper that withdrew the endorsement, said it was only 37%. So it should be interesting.

That's 37% of the electorate, which probably is more than 50% of the people who will actually end up voting. Looks like the average is around 75% is a presidential year, which this isn't. Even for a hyped special election, you're never going to get 75% in an off year.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The best part about this is that state Republicans kiboshed an effort to do the whole election by mail because doing so (and saving a bunch of money) would benefit Democrats. That's not my leftist interpretation of what happened, its theirs.

MT GOP Chair Jeff Essman posted:

Dear Republican Friends,

I am writing today to outline why I am opposing the Mail Ballot Bill introduced just last Friday as SB 305. While I believe it has been introduced on behalf of many County Commissioners who wish to reduce the fiscal impact to their county budgets of the special election to replace Congressman Zinke, the bill will have long term negative impacts to the future election prospects of Republicans at all levels in Montana. So here are my reasons: All mail ballots give the Democrats an inherent advantage in close elections due to their ability to organize large numbers of unpaid college students and members of public employee unions to gather ballots by going door to door. Here are the facts: Data indicates that a vote-by-mail law in Montana would favor Democrats for two primary reasons.

1. Early Mail Voting Favors Democrats

Data from Montana in the 2016 cycle showed Democrats dominated early voting. Democrat candidates for President, Congress and Governor consistently over-performed among voters who said they had already cast their ballots.

2. Lower Propensity Voters Favor Democrat Candidates

Vote-by-mail is designed to increase participation rates of lower propensity voters. Democrats in Montana perform better than Republican candidates among lower propensity voters and Republican candidates do better among higher propensity voters.

If you remember back to Senator Conrad Burns' loss of his reelection in 2006 by 3562 votes you should know that Senator Burns won the most votes that were cast on Election Day. He actually lost the election in votes that were cast by mail prior to Election Day. So the urban myth that he lost the election due to same day registration and voting is incorrect. He lost because of all the mail ballots that had been painstakingly gathered by Democrat front groups in the weeks leading up to Election Day.

As drafted, SB 305 will do nothing to prevent possible Election Day voting problems. SB 305 is not really a bill for an “all mail” ballot election. Close reading of the bill reveals that it really just permits a county by county decision on whether to hold a mail ballot election. So not all counties would be required to use the same process. That would permit counties where there is a desire for satellite polling places, like in many of our counties where our Indian reservations exist, to continue to use polling places and deal with the attendant problems of same day voter registration and identification.

Democrats have an inherent financial advantage when it comes to party political operations in Montana. The Montana Democrat Party raised and spent over $7 Million dollars in the last election cycle. Their allies spent another $2.4 million that we are aware of. The Montana Republican Party was able to raise and spend only about $1 million. We simply do not have access to millions of dollars of Union PAC money that the Democrats do. They gather checks from multiple committees around the country at the $10,000 maximum while we are raising money from the grassroots at $50 to $100 at a time. There is no way we can keep up with them if we have to raise money to overcome the inherent advantage they would obtain with mail ballot elections.

This will not be the end of efforts to go to a mail ballot election where the Democrats want one and the Republicans do not. MACO and the County Election administrators have favored Mail Ballot elections in past sessions and will do so again. If they succeed in this effort this time they will use it as an example of success and will work to make it permanent.

I know that my position will not be popular with many fiscally conservative Republican County Commissioners or the sponsor of House Bill 305. They may be well intended, but this bill could be the death of our effort to make Montana a reliably Republican state. It is my job to remind us all of the long term strategic advantage that passage of this bill would provide to our Democrat opponents for control of our legislature and our statewide elected positions.

Please contact your legislator and ask them to vote NO on SB 305.

:qq: If we make it convenient for people to vote we won't win :qq: Man wouldn't it be a shame if all the ballots were either counted or in the mail tonight?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 25, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

Break out that banjo!

edit: holy poo poo, he can even play a flute. What can't Quist do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPaI5bTP48

Win the election, probably

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Mountain chat: my cousin's partner came out west to visit the family a couple years ago and we took her to Mount Ranier. She's been to the Ozarks, been to the Appalachians, etc but once we got up to Lake Tipsoo, even she was saying that anything east of the Rockies were just hills.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Stickman posted:

While I basically agree that an overconfident GOP would be easier to beat in some ways, even Democrats like winning. The more the GOP seems beatable, the more likely it is that the masses of Covoks will actually get off their "nothing matters" despair sofas and vote in 2018.
I don't buy that people want to vote for a winner or that if we just beat the GOP over the head with AHCA and Trump and all the rest, and that that is enough to provide Democrats with a victory. Nor do I think that a victory so achieved would accomplish much of what I want accomplished: when you run that sort of campaign (where you don't stand for much), then even if you win you don't have much a clear mandate to do anything (because you didn't provide a clear vision during your campaign). You just sort of won by default. You tried the rope-a-dope tactic and it happened to work that time.

The best thing the Democrats can do to win elections is show why they're better than the Republicans. Part of that is making GBS threads on Republicans, but mostly it is about providing a clear alternative, articulating why it's better, convincing voters of that, then acting on your platform once elected and doing everything you can to accomplish as much as you can. Democrats mostly don't do any of that poo poo and they need to start.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

farraday posted:

Didn't plan to, I live in SC. It would be less of a long shot if the black people in our state weren't gerrymandered to hell and back.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 25, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Mountain chat: my cousin's partner came out west to visit the family a couple years ago and we took her to Mount Ranier. She's been to the Ozarks, been to the Appalachians, etc but once we got up to Lake Tipsoo, even she was saying that anything east of the Rockies were just hills.

i'm very impressed that your cousin's partner was able to recognize the relative difference in height across different types of mountains. thank you for sharing, this was very brave

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Probably armed since North Korea has been playing with nukes and missiles for a while.

Or maybe they just shoot down missiles and thats why every missile NC fires ends up a failure... That would actually make a ton of sense, I don't think its that hard to build a basic missile.

Kerbal Space Program would like to have a word with you. Even though it's a gamey simulation, it goes to show you that it's actually pretty difficult to build a rocket that you want to do something other than go up. We're not even talking about getting the thing to hit a target on another land mass relatively unseen, that's like a whole other ballgame altogether.

Even Space X forgot to do their staging in the correct order, the common noob mistake in Kerbal.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

farraday posted:

Whatever, haters. Can't fly if you don't try. :dukedog:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh? You've never seen or set foot on Mauna Kea? Your ideas of mountains must be so quaint.

:smug:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Kerbal Space Program would like to have a word with you. Even though it's a gamey simulation, it goes to show you that it's actually pretty difficult to build a rocket that you want to do something other than go up. We're not even talking about getting the thing to hit a target on another land mass relatively unseen, that's like a whole other ballgame altogether.

Even Space X forgot to do their staging in the correct order, the common noob mistake in Kerbal.

You would think they would manage to shoot something up into space at least. (not into proper orbit even)

Thats what I would try first, but then again I'm not a crazy motherfucker.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

boner confessor posted:

i'm very impressed that your cousin's partner was able to recognize the relative difference in height across different types of mountains. thank you for sharing, this was very brave

Yeah just saying this particular debate isn't relegated to spergs on a dying gay Internet forum

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So, I didn't know anything about Quist before reading about the Montana special election, but reading about him on Wikipedia (I know, not the best source) outside of his music background, he actually seems like he has a very decent set of positions on a lot of issues. Mind you, as he really has only been in politics for about 6 months, it's hard to know much more about him.

Does anyone closer to this have more information about him?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

spunkshui posted:

1) SSBN subs don't need to be close to their prospective targets, they're basically armed with ICBMs.
2) Being near NK suggests they're probably regular subs with cruise missiles, though as I said Trump probably doesn't understand the difference.
3) Telling anyone where our SSBNs are is tantamount to treason, so I feel we would have had a little more grousing from the military if that's what is was.
4) It's literally rocket science. It's not happenstance that's a byword for an incredibly complicated and demanding task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Whatever, haters. Can't fly if you don't try. :dukedog:

Do your best, I'd love to win back Frank Underwood's seat.

• Locked thread