Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bozeman means "angryman" in Dutch so I've been lolling at this news from Montana.
Also, let me tell you about the Dutch mountains...

Majorian posted:

He's a nut. He's crazy in the coconut.

What does that mean?

Edit: Dog tax (click the picture for the story)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mierenneuker posted:

What does that mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUecUKa_yqo

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

Bozeman means "angryman" in Dutch so I've been lolling at this news from Montana.

Also, let me tell you about Dutch mountains...

What does that mean?

Edit: Dog tax (click the picture for the story)

Is that one of the Bush refunds in that dog's mouth? Haha

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Boon posted:

Yokosuka but I miss Sasebo sometimes, that steak place with the old man is still my favorite meal of all time. I'm going to be taking off pretty shortly but I'll be back in January and I'm thinking of heading down there to see if the old guy is still around.

I haven't seen any, but the Reagan isn't in - I'm told they're still ongoing but things have changed a lot after Fukushima.

I only passed through Yokosuka for a few days. Loved that you could walk out of the main gate and take the Keikyu line into Tokyo though.

Also forget that other dude. Military is military. I was in a non-combat role myself but if poo poo goes down, you still have to be prepared for the worst. How's the World of Trump affecting Naval operations in the South China Sea and Sea of Japan anyway? I wouldn't be surprised to know that Mattis is directing more of the strategic placement of the fleet instead of Trump anyway.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For the most part, the Navy continues to operate as it has - at the operational level there are not meaningful changes. The big thing for the Japanese is that Trump reaffirms the alliance. Him, Mattis, and Tillerson have all emphatically done so which is much more meaningful to the Japanese than it would be to your typical westerner.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Woosh.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Truth. Also:

https://twitter.com/missoulian/status/867598860700569600

Billings is the largest city, it's usually a bellweather battleground.

Missoula is hippies and students.

I'm somewhat surprised that the Missoulian endorsed him to begin with. Though I have no idea of the political leanings of the paper, and only a high level idea of Missoula demographics, so I'm likely to be wrong about that.

glowing-fish posted:

Like, you East Coast people know that "Timberline" isn't just a brand name for clothing, that is a real thing, an altitude where trees don't grow? You do know that, right?

All of your posts about this have been Rugged_Individual.txt but this is my favorite.

Old James posted:

"Montana is all a flat prairie." - glowing-fish if he lived in Nepal.

I mean, that Nepalese glowing-fish wouldn't be wrong.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/samgadjones/status/867644518035853312

quote:

Was almost inevitable - level of anger is sky high. Significant - and rather depressing - moment breaking with 16 years of UK-US CT work. https://t.co/uMQVzx3HUB

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

American political hegemony may not die during Trump's presidency, but they're certainly trying pretty drat hard to make it happen.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/867664570000822272

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Eh I'm sorry. War sucks, I hate war, and I hate the endless armchair warmongering and Tom Clancy justifications for another loving war. I get real mad whenever I hear more "gotta fight em over there so we don't hafta fight em over here, or the smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud :golf:"

Boon I do enjoy your contributions when you talk about your everyday job, I'll try to keep my emotional reaction to your Clancy fantasies to myself from now on rather than poo poo up the thread with it.

It's not like your posts in here are going to singlehandedly get us in a shooting war with North Korea and I'm p sure you don't vote for neocons so I shouldn't get personal.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 25, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh my goodness I just caught up with the Montana poo poo and :laffo: this dumb motherfucker might still win.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

2) Being near NK suggests they're probably regular subs with cruise missiles, though as I said Trump probably doesn't understand the difference.

If we have two subs near North Korea i would bet quite a bit that one is the Jimmy Carter engaging in some extremely clandestine poo poo and the other is a 688 or Virginia out of Pearl to make sure nobody bothers her

neither have any canned sunshine though, definitely

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

UberJew posted:

If we have two subs near North Korea i would bet quite a bit that one is the Jimmy Carter engaging in some extremely clandestine poo poo and the other is a 688 or Virginia out of Pearl to make sure nobody bothers her

neither have any canned sunshine though, definitely

One is the Michigan with Tomahawks and up to 60 SEALs. Any boomers would be out in the Pacific deeps.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Boon posted:

For the most part, the Navy continues to operate as it has - at the operational level there are not meaningful changes. The big thing for the Japanese is that Trump reaffirms the alliance. Him, Mattis, and Tillerson have all emphatically done so which is much more meaningful to the Japanese than it would be to your typical westerner.

I don't see Trump breaking alliances or even threatening to do something about their status but that's always up in the air. I'm more worried that he continues subtlety hinting at ramping up military aggression against North Korea or revealing military secrets like the existence of the SSGNs.

VitalSigns posted:

Eh I'm sorry. War sucks, I hate war, and I hate the endless armchair warmongering and Tom Clancy justifications for another loving war. I get real mad whenever I hear more "gotta fight em over there so we don't hafta fight em over here, or the smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud :golf:"

War always sucks. I hope Trump doesn't get us into another war especially with North Korea. poo poo, we're still dealing with the fallout of the Iraq invasion, continued Afghanistan occupation, and now Syria. But it's just the political climate that we're living in is causing heightened tensions all over the world so people turn to things they are familiar with and then want to discuss how that might affect larger issues like military conflict. But in the end, there is never a good justification for war besides being invaded. I hope we can figure out a diplomatic approach to deposing Kim Jong Un instead of with force but that chance is slowly slipping away. And I have no faith in Trump deescalating the situation though.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Raylen posted:

I don't see Trump breaking alliances

Except that not a single ally trusts this country anymore, because their leader can't keep his mouth shut. It may not officially break alliances, but it sure as hell broke people's trust.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Its all good man! I'm pretty abrasive, stubborn, and argumentative sometimes and definitely deserve the heat, but I like that usually we're of the same mind. If we agreed on all things itd be a pretty boring thread :)

Boon fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 25, 2017

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently watching live -- Obama and Merkel in Germany speaking together. At least once I've seen Germans refer to Obama as Mr President. Has anything like this happened before?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I'm currently watching live -- Obama and Merkel in Germany speaking together. At least once I've seen Germans refer to Obama as Mr President. Has anything like this happened before?

they get to be called that the rest of their lives.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Dunno, but you know they're probably trying really hard not to if it's not Protocol. At the very least it's gotta be refreshing to hear someone who can at least string sentences together that involve multisyllabic words.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol, the pope's thing is on the guardian front page

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It's an honorary thing. People refer to President Bush, President Clinton, etc still as well. I would bet my life that there are no educated* non-comatosed** Germans that still think Obama is the president of the US.

*, **: I had to give myself an out you know.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's an honorary thing. People refer to President Bush, President Clinton, etc still as well. I would bet my life that there are no educated* non-comatosed** Germans that still think Obama is the president of the US.

*, **: I had to give myself an out you know.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that every German who still thinks Obama is POTUS is happier than every single person alive who knows that Trump is actually POTUS.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Watching Obama speak just makes me sad now. I'm sad that he makes me sad.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Watching Obama speak just makes me sad now. I'm sad that he makes me sad.

I thought Obama was the establishment of a new norm (especially after 8 years of the doofus Bush Jr.) but he turned out to be the aberration. :(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

This might've been covered but buried under WWE Summerslam 39 at Bozeman:
https://twitter.com/BBCDomC/status/867637121938583553
Jesus Christ we really do suck don't we

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

enraged_camel posted:

lol, the pope's thing is on the guardian front page

I had such a giggle-fit last night after I saw this conversation on CNN. The pope calling Donald Trump fat right in front of him, only Trump is too stupid to realize it (and also it was probably not in English).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Spaced God posted:

This might've been covered but buried under WWE Summerslam 39 at Bozeman:
https://twitter.com/BBCDomC/status/867637121938583553
Jesus Christ we really do suck don't we

Leaking Trump administration pratfalls is a public good, but I don't understand why someone saw fit to blab details of the UK's Manchester bombing investigation to the press. It really does hurt an important on-going investigation and it only feeds into the GOP narrative that the real crimes are the leaking.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nothus posted:

Leaking Trump administration pratfalls is a public good, but I don't understand why someone saw fit to blab details of the UK's Manchester bombing investigation to the press. It really does hurt an important on-going investigation and it only feeds into the GOP narrative that the real crimes are the leaking.

Think maybe you answered your own question.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nothus posted:

It fits the narrative of "the leakers are the real problem".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
this is the best drat pope. I almost want to convert.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This isn't entirely wrong. Poverty is often reinforced by habits that are the result of being in poverty in the first place. This includes normalizing living paycheck-to-paycheck, spending a windfall as soon as you get it, etc.

That's not to say being in poverty is one's fault, I per se.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

There Bias Two posted:

This isn't entirely wrong. Poverty is often reinforced by habits that are the result of being in poverty in the first place. This includes normalizing living paycheck-to-paycheck, spending a windfall as soon as you get it, etc.

That's not to say being in poverty is one's fault, I per se.

actually poverty is the result of not having any loving money thanks to the exploitation inherent in the capitalist system, einstein

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

botany posted:

actually poverty is the result of not having any loving money thanks to the exploitation inherent in the capitalist system, einstein

Which is exactly why I said being in poverty isn't one's fault.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
7 advertisers have dropped Hannity so far.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nothus posted:

People are mentioning the leaking as motivating itself, but I also suspect OMG MUSLIM TERRORISTS ATTACKING OUR CHILLUNS THEY'RE GONNA TRY TO HIDE THE TROOF TO BE PC, YOU SEE WE REALLY ARE IN DANGER BC OF THEM BEING AROUND was part of it too

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Party Plane Jones posted:

7 advertisers have dropped Hannity so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fQESUBMwGg

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Poverty as a state of mind is occupied solely by the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

Pillbug

moostaffa posted:

Except that not a single ally trusts this country anymore, because their leader can't keep his mouth shut. It may not officially break alliances, but it sure as hell broke people's trust.

He won't willingly break alliances. He's just going to make a bunch of stupid decisions on top of the stupid things he's already done to cause our allies to be wary about how sane our chain of command is.

• Locked thread