Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I hadn't been paying much attention to UKIP's campaign for obvious reasons but yeesh:

quote:

UKIP has already announced policies including banning the burka, electoral reform and keeping net migration at zero over a five-year period.

gently caress knows what they're going to have written in crayon at the bottom of their manifesto when it launches today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I hadn't been paying much attention to UKIP's campaign for obvious reasons but yeesh:

gently caress knows what they're going to have written in crayon at the bottom of their manifesto when it launches today.

Something about closing mosques for sure.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Best hope is they claw back a few percent from the tories. Really instill a right wing split and make the tories struggle to present may as a right wing unifier

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
This post about the Tory manifesto is worth a read:

The political economy of the Conservative Manifesto: a hallucinatory celebration of the state

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Apparently we've stopped sharing intelligence with the Americans now cos of all the leaks

edit: link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40040210

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 25, 2017

haakman
May 5, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Not that it matters, but I've read near enough every post in here for about seven/eight years and been posting as long. I credit this thread for a lot of my transition from idiot student liberal to grumpy internet communist.

Same. Zdravstvuyte Tovarisch!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Not that it matters, but I've read near enough every post in here for about seven/eight years and been posting as long. I credit this thread for a lot of my transition from idiot student liberal to grumpy internet communist.

For content, have a "terrorism suits May" in the wild courtesy of my local Labour vice-chairman. http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/stroud-labour-activist-suspended-saying-72408

I only recognise you from lp

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So the tories plans to scrap free lunches for all infant school pupils to replace them with breakfasts as it would save £650m?

The £60m cost was based on the food being donated, only 25% of pupils at schools taking them up and teachers & staff doing it for free. The 'actual' cost would be a minimum of £180m to £400m.

How do they get away with this?

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

Perhaps one of the strangest things about the modern world is one can look at all the headlines and newsfeeds and conclude,

"Katy Perry knows what's up"

I mean, gently caress

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Net migration at 0

ITS SAKOKU TIME

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Namtab posted:

I only recognise you from lp

Can confirm that sebzilla is a long time poster/reader

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

So the tories plans to scrap free lunches for all infant school pupils to replace them with breakfasts as it would save £650m?

The £60m cost was based on the food being donated, only 25% of pupils at schools taking them up and teachers & staff doing it for free. The 'actual' cost would be a minimum of £180m to £400m.

How do they get away with this?

I was wondering if they had factored in staffing costs (plus energy costs etc) of opening the school at least half an hour earlier.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I was wondering if they had factored in staffing costs (plus energy costs etc) of opening the school at least half an hour earlier.

They hadn't even factored in buying the food.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I'm so angry i could vomit.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

PIGS BREXIT posted:

Perhaps one of the strangest things about the modern world is one can look at all the headlines and newsfeeds and conclude,

"Katy Perry knows what's up"

I mean, gently caress

Maybe you should think about leaving all doors unlocked all the time so anyone can come as they please in your house

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
There's a growing number of people on my Facebook feed who support the notion of "bash the fash", which I find kind of strange considering they're normally pacifists.

One friend makes the distinction that neo-nazis surrender their right to not be beaten up by advocating genocide but it feels like a slippery slope to me.

Just wondering where UKMT stands on the issue of beating up neo-nazis?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The DPRK posted:

It's a real good idea

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The DPRK posted:

Cool and good.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

The DPRK posted:

There's a growing number of people on my Facebook feed who support the notion of "bash the fash", which I find kind of strange considering they're normally pacifists.

One friend makes the distinction that neo-nazis surrender their right to not be beaten up by advocating genocide but it feels like a slippery slope to me.

It's good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

10 IF nazi THEN punch
20 GOTO 10

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Eh? 'The DPRK' has to ask should we bash the fash? What's going on?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The DPRK posted:

Refer to the OP, I believe the thread's stand is indicated there.

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm so angry i could vomit.

Also this should be added to the OP.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Care to unpack this?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The DPRK posted:

Care to unpack this?

"Bash the fash" is an axiomatic truth; a fundamental constant. There is no further unpacking that can be done.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/867660999922515969

Brexit is succeeding already!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'd watch a bash the fash unboxing video

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:umberto:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ratjaculation posted:

I'd watch a bash the fash unboxing video

I thought the point was the other way round?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Most UKMT goons or UK goons in general all leftists or commies. Of course no one actually likes neo-nazis anyway.

But I may be one of the few people in this thread that doesn't hold any love for either far-right or far-left ideas.

I'm sure both sides love to punch each other until they're bruised and bloody.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's a liberal idea that political violence only comes in the form of people getting physically punched - Nazis and the fash perpetrate violence, sometimes physical, sometimes not, by the very nature of their existence, by sowing fear in minority and migrant communities and causing political rhetoric to drift rightwards. Punching nazis is simply meeting political violence with political violence.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Some questions that come to mind:

1. Does this legitimise violence in response to political opponents? If not, why?

2. Doesn't this mean far-right could make a strong case for beating up muslims at a demonstration against our military actions abroad using the same reasoning?

3. Does this solve the problem in your view? Are neo-nazis suitably deterred from demonstrating after you beat them up?

4. Where do you draw the line that makes it acceptable to beat someone up? At incitement to violence? At holding the beliefs secretly and discussing them online?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fascism requires the removal (theoretically not with violence if they leave of their own accord, except no-one will ever agree to do that) of anyone who does not meet the arbitrary criteria of a select group, such as being slightly the wrong skin colour. There is no compromise that can allow fascists to live peacefully amongst other people, because the only way to compromise with them is to remove innocent people from that society.

If even the smallest compromise for them is still an act of callous, indefensible evil, such as allowing them to segregate other races so they don't have to mix with them, then the entire ideology and everyone who adheres to it is also evil, and there is no point wasting time or risking their views being normalised through dialogue.

So basically, always attack fascists, and don't stop until they either go away or stop being fascists.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hmmm, our citizens are growing older, we need more workers in pretty much all industries, man it's a good thing these Eastern Europeans are leaving!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
let me tell you about the time a gigantic stalinist (huge prick in that respect, but a good antifa) walked into a bar where a bunch of National Action dickheads were mustering for a demo, stroll up to their table and say "right lads, we're the loving reds, who wants some?" before lamping a nazi in the face.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The DPRK posted:

Some questions that come to mind:

1. Does this legitimise violence in response to political opponents? If not, why?

2. Doesn't this mean far-right could make a strong case for beating up muslims at a demonstration against our military actions abroad using the same reasoning?

3. Does this solve the problem in your view? Are neo-nazis suitably deterred from demonstrating after you beat them up?

4. Where do you draw the line that makes it acceptable to beat someone up? At incitement to violence? At holding the beliefs secretly and discussing them online?

1. Bash the fash
2. Bash the fash
3. Bash the fash
4. Bash the fash

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The DPRK posted:

Feel free to slip on the slope that takes you the gently caress outta here.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fascism requires the removal ... of ... fascists.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

let me tell you about the time a gigantic stalinist (huge prick in that respect, but a good antifa) walked into a bar where a bunch of National Action dickheads were mustering for a demo, stroll up to their table and say "right lads, we're the loving reds, who wants some?" before lamping a nazi in the face.

That fuckin owns.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fascism requires the removal (theoretically not with violence if they leave of their own accord, except no-one will ever agree to do that) of anyone who does not meet the arbitrary criteria of a select group, such as being slightly the wrong skin colour. There is no compromise that can allow fascists to live peacefully amongst other people, because the only way to compromise with them is to remove innocent people from that society.

If even the smallest compromise for them is still an act of callous, indefensible evil, such as allowing them to segregate other races so they don't have to mix with them, then the entire ideology and everyone who adheres to it is also evil,
and there is no point wasting time or risking their views being normalised through dialogue.

So basically, always attack fascists, and don't stop until they either go away or stop being fascists.

Bolded the area up to which I agree. I'm just not convinced that beating people up is a suitable or effective deterrent from these extreme views.

Would you agree that, while these organisations may have intelligent demagogues at the their centre, they are largely made up of disenfranchised people who are being readily supplied with answers to the question "why am I suffering unfairly?"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

It's my secret shame that anarchists make the best antifa, so it's nice to hear of a tankie representing.

• Locked thread