Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Zenzirouj posted:

Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used, I'm currently looking at 2014+
Body Style: 4 door hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (15-30 minute commute), occasional multi-state trip, able to handle gravel/country roads/streams without concern (a rare but likely event), possibly a cross-country move in the next few years.
What aspects are most important to you? Costs and functionality: reliability, MPG, cargo, comfort. I'm not against other nice perks, but they're not my primary concern. I'll probably get it repainted rather than try to find one in orange.

Currently I'm looking at Mazda3 and Fusion. It seems that Mazda3 had some sort of revision in 2014 that improved a lot of things and bumped MPG way up, so I'm looking at there or newer. It's harder to say if there was a recent revision or not for the Fusion, but I'd probably be looking at a similarly-recent car just to keep mileage low and increase the chances of still having a manufacturer warranty active.

I am not a huge car guy but I was recently in a similar situation, with similar budget and priorities except that I am basically never on country roads. I narrowed it down to a manual 2014 Ford Focus vs a variety of manual or auto 2014 Mazda 3s. I went with the Focus and could not be happier with it and saved at least a couple thousand vs what a same year 3 with similar mileage in my area would have cost. But if you want an auto, avoid the Focus and go with the 3 instead. That said I was about 95% looking at manuals and so I ruled out a lot of cars as too fuckin hard to actually find to purchase used in my area. FWIW my previous car was a 2004 3S and it gave me 12+ problem free years and 6 months of being a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wife wants to buy a new car for life. She's looking at the 2017 Subaru Impreza a lot, I think she bought salesman bullshit about how much better and lighter they​are over the 2016.

I personally think paying a few grand less for a used like new one from the same dealer would be a better deal, especially for owning it for life.

Are there any arguments for or against either of our thoughts? Neither of us have never bought a new car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Wife wants to buy a new car for life. She's looking at the 2017 Subaru Impreza a lot, I think she bought salesman bullshit about how much better and lighter they​are over the 2016.

I personally think paying a few grand less for a used like new one from the same dealer would be a better deal, especially for owning it for life.

Are there any arguments for or against either of our thoughts? Neither of us have never bought a new car.

So the salesman was slingin' lots of bullshit about the weight, anyway.

If you intend to drive it until the wheels fall off, there's no significant advantage to buying used. You'll save a few bucks up front, but amortized over the life of the car it won't make much difference.

Take the time to shop around and find what you really like. You're going to spend a lot of money and time in the car, so get one that fits. Subarus are good cars so I certainly wouldn't warn you away from one.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The new 2017 Impreza is actually a big improvement over the 2016, though. It's an all-new generation of the car on Subaru's new global platform, not just a minor model year revision. The chassis and suspension are better and the interior is nicer and has Car Play/Android Auto. And for whatever its worth its got that active torque vectoring thingy, too. Plus if you're planning to buy the car and drive it until the wheels fall off going new is not really a bad idea.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 25, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's also the hit-and-miss nature of whether or not you'll be able to get a good deal on a lightly used car. If Subaru is throwing any money on the hood of the 2017 it might be a better deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's something potentially to be said of not buying the first year of a major redesign until the wheels fall off. MY+1 usually has a massive quantity of minor performance improvements that can drive a large improvement in reliability.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's something potentially to be said of not buying the first year of a major redesign until the wheels fall off. MY+1 usually has a massive quantity of minor performance improvements that can drive a large improvement in reliability.

That's a fair point to consider. Though with the warranty it's something I would worry less about on an economy-class Subaru than a luxury E-Class or 5-Series.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

breaks posted:

I am not a huge car guy but I was recently in a similar situation, with similar budget and priorities except that I am basically never on country roads. I narrowed it down to a manual 2014 Ford Focus vs a variety of manual or auto 2014 Mazda 3s. I went with the Focus and could not be happier with it and saved at least a couple thousand vs what a same year 3 with similar mileage in my area would have cost. But if you want an auto, avoid the Focus and go with the 3 instead. That said I was about 95% looking at manuals and so I ruled out a lot of cars as too fuckin hard to actually find to purchase used in my area. FWIW my previous car was a 2004 3S and it gave me 12+ problem free years and 6 months of being a piece of poo poo.

Yeah, I'm a automatic-only babby. I was already leaning towards the 2014 3S anyway, so this helps, thanks! And my research seems to indicate that whatever revisions they made last started with 2014, as MPG seems to jump up to ~34 compared to ~24 the previous year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Skyactiv, baby.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you live in a sketchy area make sure you buy a hat to stick over the crackhead-tempting display on the latest Mazda 3s.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
tl;dr: Given that it's just the kind of car I've wanted for 18 months now, should I spend US$2,200 to buy a '97 Suzuki Sidekick with 103k miles to use as a commuter and highway car, and for very light hauling, in Montreal?

A couple years ago I was working in Africa and spent a couple days driving in the bush with a Vice cameraman who sang the praises of the Suzuki Jimny and what a great little bush-rig it is. He got me curious so I read up on it and liked what I learned, and when I moved back to the US I was idly keeping an eye out for one, but they're rare and overpriced in the US since they got slammed by Consumer Reports for roll-over risk (which they argued is no worse than a Wrangler) and Suzuki stopped sending them to the US. Fast forward a few years and I'm living in Montreal and applying for Permanent Residency, so I figure I might as well get a Suzuki Jimny or one of its cousins, and the Suzuki Sidekick seems a good bet since I really don't plan to do any off-road here and the Sidekick is supposed to be a much smoother ride on paved streets, plus is way cheaper since the gearheads don't buy them all up to convert to muddin' trucks and all.

I've been watching Kijiji (Cannuck Craigslist) for a few weeks, getting a feel for the market, and yesterday went to test-drive a '97 model, 103k miles, asking US$2,200. (for the purposes of this post I'm converting everything to Imperial units and US dollars). The current owner is a sharply-dressed woman in her 20s who got it a year ago "because it's so cute", and is selling it because daddy is giving her his extra Hyundai Santa Fe to be her commuter. Not to judge too much by covers, but she seems really high-maintenance in a personal way, like really well-organized, the interior vinyl is freaking *pristine* since she keeps it wiped down, she has all her maintenance paperwork and the manual in the glove-box, etc. So even though she might be the fourth owner or whatever that's a good sign, and she just had US$650 of tune-up work done to it last month to get it ready for sale, including something to catalytic, muffler fix, and some seals. She's not mechanical at all, but seems to take care of her stuff, and she's put a large chunk of the current mileage on it in just the year+ she's owned it, including a road trip from Montreal to Miami, lots of trips to NYC, etc. She says she's had no problems with it other than the things recently fixed, finds it stable at highway speeds, and claims she's a speed-demon and routinely holds it at 85mph on the back highways when driving to NY, and that it takes it without complaint.

Before I buy, I'll certainly take it to a mechanic for an assessment, but to my casual eye it looks really good. Paint appears to be original and is really clean except for a little rust bubbling at the bottoms of the doors and all, since they use CaCl on the road ice here and it's killer. It was raining so I couldn't get under it to check for rust, but she said her mechanic didn't mention any underbody rust, and I'll make a point of asking my mechanic to assess before I buy. I believe the engine is original, and in my 30min test drive (streets and highway) it felt and sounded great, except it was a little slow on the ignition at first (it was also a chilly day).

Bottom of driver's door:

I like that this is a not-too-old model, Sidekick should be better for the city than the Jimny/Samurai variant, and the automatic transmission and available 4WD will make city driving easy in these narrow streets and on ice this winter. It has a hard-top (which I think are usually aftermarket) in great shape, and a sunroof (manual, as I prefer for simplicity).

EDIT: and it had four winter tires bought just last November, tons of tread.

I haven't filed my actual PR paperwork yet, but I have 150 days of visa left anyway, so at worst I can just drive the car as long as I'm here, then sell it or leave it with a friend to rent out on Turo.

Any huge red flags, or if I have the budget for it should I just call the seller and meet her at my mechanic for a going-over and negotiate a purchase?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/ville-de-montreal/sidekick-97/1265505329?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true posted:

Sidekick 97 City of Montréal Greater Montréal

Date de l'affichage 19-mai-17
Prix
3 000,00 $
Adresse Montreal, QC H3H1K6
Année 1997
Marque Suzuki
Modèle Sidekick
Type de carrosserie Coupé (2 portes)
Kilomètres 167 000
Boite de vitesse Automatique
Couleur Rouge
À vendre par Propriétaire
No. de portes 3

En bon etat , 167 kilo
4x4
Decapotable

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 26, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Double-tap

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Proposed budget : 20-25k
New or used: pref. new, will drive until the wheels fall off.
Style: small SUV or crossover
Uses: commuting 10-20 mi a day, snow driving

I'm currently running with an old RAV4 and want something small lengthwise for city parking, and decent height. The newer RAV4s and CRVs are pretty large, how is the Vibe or the Nissan Juke? I see Mitsubishi is breaking into the small SUV market with the Outlander, they any good?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

outlander bad

Mazda CX3, Subaru Crosstrek, Honda HR-V, Toyota C-HR, Buick Encore/Chevolet Trax.

My preference would be the CX-3 or the Crosstrek. The HR-V will last until the heat death of the universe. The Encore/Trax are fairly decent and also extraordinarily cheap. Just drive em all and pick the one you like best.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

prom candy posted:

If you live in a sketchy area make sure you buy a hat to stick over the crackhead-tempting display on the latest Mazda 3s.

gently caress off

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

gently caress off

What, is he wrong? You've always been a dick Phone.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

She's not mechanical at all, but seems to take care of her stuff, and she's put a large chunk of the current mileage on it in just the year+ she's owned it, including a road trip from Montreal to Miami, lots of trips to NYC, etc. She says she's had no problems with it other than the things recently fixed, finds it stable at highway speeds, and claims she's a speed-demon and routinely holds it at 85mph on the back highways when driving to NY, and that it takes it without complaint.

Any huge red flags, or if I have the budget for it should I just call the seller and meet her at my mechanic for a going-over and negotiate a purchase?

I owned a 94 Geo Tracker for goddamn ever - so close to the same thing. I had the manual-trans version of it not the auto, and it would only hit 85mph (aka 140) on a flat plain with a LOT of room, or on a downhill. Add in a headwind and no chance in hell. That being said, 100/110 was fine in it. Its peppy at low speeds, but it lacks the oomph for quick passing. The thing was reliable as all-hell though. I drove it nearly out of oil for about 2 months and it never complained, put another 200k km on it before I traded it in with roughly 500,000 km.

It will not get warm in the winter if its below -15 or so - it just won't. You have to keep the defrost on 100% to be able to see, and the rest is frozen. It gets hotter than balls in the summer, albeit the removable top 1/2 way helps. That thing looks to be in pretty good shape, so if you can get it down a bit in price and your mechanic says it looks good, rock it out. They're fun little rides, and do well in the winter.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Phone posted:

gently caress off

What's your problem?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Thoughts on the Pacifica Hybird? We're in the market for a minivan and I was certain we were going to get an Odyssey or Sienna but just found out that with $9k in tax credits it costs about the same as an odyssey ex-l which is what we were looking at. In California gas is expensive and electricity is relative reasonable. I'd never think to consider a Chrysler due to reliability concerns, but if I can pick up a $46k car for $37k, and have almost all of my miles covered by electric, it's tempting. Looks like the core hybrid drive train is covered by a 10yr warranty which is about as long as we'll keep it.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Hey guys, I ended up finding a super clean 05 Sequioa and picked it up today. Thanks for your advice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

prom candy posted:

What's your problem?

you sound like the octogenarians in florida on miata.net with regards to the mazda infotainment screen

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Phone posted:

you sound like the octogenarians in florida on miata.net with regards to the mazda infotainment screen

No, I just live in an area where cars sometimes get broken into if you leave valuable looking stuff in plain sight, and I don't trust the people that do that to know the difference between a tablet and a raised up infotainment screen. Getting your windows smashed sucks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

prom candy posted:

No, I just live in an area where cars sometimes get broken into if you leave valuable looking stuff in plain sight, and I don't trust the people that do that to know the difference between a tablet and a raised up infotainment screen. Getting your windows smashed sucks.

Have Mazda info screens been reported as stolen frequently? I got a 2015 3 and haven't ever even considered that as a thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"mazda3 screen stolen"

mazdas247: Mazda3 Infotainment System concerns
mazda3revolution: These infotainment threads are scaring me - Page 4 - 2004 to 2016 ...
reddit: Anyone cover their infotainment screen to discourage theft? : mazda
reddit: With the new 2014 Mazda 3, how concerned should I be of the screen ...
miata.net: To those of you disliking Mazda's infotainment screen, what's a ...
mazda3forums: Car broken into, AVIC-N1 stolen! - Page 2 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 ...
jalopnik: The 2014 Mazda3 Will Make You Wonder Why People Buy Anything ...
autoblog: Mazda3 may be vulnerable to break-ins - Autoblog

The AVIC-N1 is a headunit from 2005. The autoblog article is from January 19, 2007.

I'm going to go with "no" on this one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kansas posted:

Thoughts on the Pacifica Hybird? We're in the market for a minivan and I was certain we were going to get an Odyssey or Sienna but just found out that with $9k in tax credits it costs about the same as an odyssey ex-l which is what we were looking at. In California gas is expensive and electricity is relative reasonable. I'd never think to consider a Chrysler due to reliability concerns, but if I can pick up a $46k car for $37k, and have almost all of my miles covered by electric, it's tempting. Looks like the core hybrid drive train is covered by a 10yr warranty which is about as long as we'll keep it.

Lots of very positive reviews about the Pacifica. Seems to be a fine car.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pander posted:

Have Mazda info screens been reported as stolen frequently? I got a 2015 3 and haven't ever even considered that as a thing.

I doubt it, the type of crime I'm referring to is people who smash windows (or more frequently, open up unlocked cars) and grab what they can (GPS, spare change, CDs, etc.) in as little time as possible. Happened to my wife a few weeks ago, they also used her garage door opener to open our garage, but I think took off when they realized people (and a loud dog) were home. I wouldn't be worried about someone actually stealing the unit, just that they would see it and think it was a mounted tablet. People taking the time to actually steal head units or steal cars isn't that common here, and I think those guys are generally looking for aftermarket stuff anyway.

If your car has never been broken into before I wouldn't worry about it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I doubt it, the type of crime I'm referring to is people who smash windows (or more frequently, open up unlocked cars) and grab what they can (GPS, spare change, CDs, etc.) in as little time as possible. Happened to my wife a few weeks ago, they also used her garage door opener to open our garage, but I think took off when they realized people (and a loud dog) were home. I wouldn't be worried about someone actually stealing the unit, just that they would see it and think it was a mounted tablet. People taking the time to actually steal head units or steal cars isn't that common here, and I think those guys are generally looking for aftermarket stuff anyway.

If your car has never been broken into before I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a beaten down old Altima, covered in half faded bumper stickers that have been baked half into the paint. I wonder if crackheads would still break into it, or assume it belonged to another crackhead?

Note: am not a crackhead!

Pretty much all cars are targets for theft, right? I remember reading once, and it could be wrong, but oddly colored cars like oranges, pinks, etc, are less likely to be stolen because of the rarity of the color/people remembering it a lot more.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Looking for sub $5k (including repairs) real 4wd with seating for more than two, preferably smaller pickup though not a deal breaker. Would use as a spare vehicle for off road adventures and Home Depot trips.

Manual transmission is fine. I would like to avoid engine/transmission work, though I am fine with fixing whatever else myself within budget.

Anything I should lean towards?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Looking for sub $5k (including repairs) real 4wd with seating for more than two, preferably smaller pickup though not a deal breaker. Would use as a spare vehicle for off road adventures and Home Depot trips.

Manual transmission is fine. I would like to avoid engine/transmission work, though I am fine with fixing whatever else myself within budget.

Anything I should lean towards?

The answer is always a Toyota with the 4-banger.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unload My Head posted:

The answer is always a Toyota with the 4-banger.

ranger

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What years/mileage am I looking at in that price range?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Also a really solid option as long as you stick to the 2.3L or the 3.0v6. The automatic trans in them was trash though. S10 is also an option, although speaking of bad transmissions...

FogHelmut posted:

What years/mileage am I looking at in that price range?

Depends a lot on where you are. PNW has Toyota tax out the wazoo. People pay 5k for a 20-year old Toyota all day long here.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Unload My Head posted:

Also a really solid option as long as you stick to the 2.3L or the 3.0v6. The automatic trans in them was trash though. S10 is also an option, although speaking of bad transmissions...

Depends a lot on where you are. PNW has Toyota tax out the wazoo. People pay 5k for a 20-year old Toyota all day long here.

I'm in SoCal, so 2wd manual Tacoma's are a dime a dozen on the landscaper circuit - if they haven't been turned into goofy prerunners by the bro crowd.

4wd is a bit harder to come by because it's not needed unless you're really going off road.

There's a pretty nice 2003 Landrover Discovery for $4k, thinking I'd be covered in enough oil to mask the pain of the oil leaks.

Did the tops come off the old 4runners?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Just ended up with a 2017 CR-V EX-L after 6 months of indecision. I was completely set on the 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring and had a good price on it (>5000 below MSRP), then woke up early and did a ton of car research and still had a ton of indecision but ended up choosing the CR-V because it would probably be more practical in the long run, and it had android auto. We were able to get it for about $2000 below MSRP, most of the dealers acted like going above $500 was like pulling teeth. I disliked the CR-V color selection though, 99% of the cars available were white, silver, gray, or black; so bland.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

I'm in SoCal, so 2wd manual Tacoma's are a dime a dozen on the landscaper circuit - if they haven't been turned into goofy prerunners by the bro crowd.

4wd is a bit harder to come by because it's not needed unless you're really going off road.

There's a pretty nice 2003 Landrover Discovery for $4k, thinking I'd be covered in enough oil to mask the pain of the oil leaks.

Did the tops come off the old 4runners?

You've got to go to '88 or older for 4runners with removable top, and that generation has a tight cab and is really getting up in years/miles.

Never buy a Land Rover

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

New F150's are going for $10k off right now, but what the hell am I going to do with something as big as an F150? I really just want to drive around the fire roads in the mountains here and pick up some materials now and then from Home Depot. My car is paid off, and I don't want to get into another loan while we have one on my wife's car.

Should I just lift my Impreza?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is ai speaking: "hells yes."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't lift it, just put a kid plate and go faster.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

But then why didn't I just buy an XV in the first place? (ignore that it was a year before their release)

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't lift it, just put a kid plate and go faster.

The last time I took my Impreza down some of these roads, it felt like I was rock crawling because I just didn't have the clearance.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

New F150's are going for $10k off right now, but what the hell am I going to do with something as big as an F150? I really just want to drive around the fire roads in the mountains here and pick up some materials now and then from Home Depot. My car is paid off, and I don't want to get into another loan while we have one on my wife's car.

Should I just lift my Impreza?

Well, I mean what's the downside to the F150? You say it's big, but is that an actual issue for you? I have a 2001 F150 that is pretty fantastic for almost the exact use cases you're looking for.