Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

...does he often speak in third person like this? Has he finally lost it?

And by it, I mean his show of course :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

It turns out international politics isn't like high school and the world is getting everything they want out of the US by doing the exact opposite of what you advocate.

Eh, two world leaders have already out-hand-shake-punked him, so your hypothesis is essentially half right.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Sessions is a monster part 9438

quote:

The government has agreed not to prosecute Citigroup’s Mexico-based subsidiary despite damning evidence it aided a cross-border money-laundering scheme for years, the Department of Justice announced Tuesday. The non-prosecution agreement is in sharp contrast with the hard line that Attorney General Jeff Sessions has already laid out for blue-collar criminals.

Under the non-prosecution agreement, Citigroup-owned Banamex USA will pay $97.4 million and admit it broke the Bank Secrecy Act for years.

Banamex and Citi officials knew of some 18,000 separate suspicious account activities from 2007 to 2012 yet reported just six to regulators, according to the description of the crimes in the deal. The transactions mostly involved remittance payments from people in the United States to account holders in Mexico — a standard class of transaction relied upon heavily by immigrants.

The transactions Citigroup failed to police internally or report to external authorities, however, were not typical worker remittances. Those usually involve small sums and scattered movements of money — as one would expect to see when a large group of individual workers are sending some of their pay back home to a large number of families.

Citigroup’s subsidiary noticed that very large remittances were flowing into the same bank account—;as one might expect to see if illicit, scattered profits earned in the United States were being consolidated across the border by the person or organization who had made them possible.

Bankers were well aware of more than a billion dollars in suspicious remittances but did almost nothing to draw law enforcement attention to the transactions, on which the bank itself was of course earning profit.

Citigroup, which took control of Banamex some years prior to the bank’s criminal failings on money laundering oversight, plans to close the subsidiary down for good later this summer. But Citi itself was not required to plead guilty to a crime.

Corporate crime enforcement watchdogs immediately hammered the Trump administration.

“Again, a crime and no crooks,” Bart Naylor of Public Citizen told the Corporate Crime Reporter. The deal sparks fears of “a kid-gloves approach towards corporate crime in the new administration,” Too Big To Jail author Brandon Garrett told the paper. Roughly eight times out of nine that the government builds up a Bank Secrecy Act case, Garrett said, it chooses to resolve it through sterner means than the non-prosecution deal Citigroup struck this week.

Sell a tiny amount of crack? 30 years in the slammer.
Launder a billion dollars in cartel drug money? Slap on the wrist.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

aware of dog posted:

...does he often speak in third person like this? Has he finally lost it?

And by it, I mean his show of course :laugh:

I think he's saying that he's going on a long weekend that he does every year, but the media is gonna poo poo their pants because "MAYBE THIS MEANS HANNITY DOESNT HAVE A SHOW ANYMORE"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Sean Hannity has seen some poo poo, ya'll.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Hannity won't drop the hilariously stupid and incredibly offensive DNC staffer murder conspiracy theory, and advertisers are starting to drop him like they did O'Reiley. He's trying to mock the people that are hoping Fox'll cancel his show, but he's a barely sentient baboon so it comes across as mindless drivel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

racist prosecutors and sheriffs are universally heroin barons and not a single month goes by without one of them being slammed for heroin trafficking

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did Hannity have a stroke or something? Who writes like that?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SgtScruffy posted:

I think he's saying that he's going on a long weekend that he does every year, but the media is gonna poo poo their pants because "MAYBE THIS MEANS HANNITY DOESNT HAVE A SHOW ANYMORE"

gently caress him anyway.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twitter script, dog.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

Correct. Just lots of prayers because he's starting to lose advertisers.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FlamingLiberal posted:

... Oh god, he's going to run for President, isn't he?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

While driving home from work yesterday after the release of the CBO score, I decided to do something I never do and listen to conservative radio to hear reaction to the score. It turns out it was Hannity I was listening to. I was tuned in for half an hour and I did not hear him mention the CBO score once. The entire time I was listening was complaining about liberal fascism and their violations of the first amendment by boycotting his show. He took a couple callers who did nothing but compliment him on being tough and not backing down and defending America and freedom.

It was completely void of substance and did not touch on a single current event actually occurring in politics.

Violator
May 15, 2003

In addition to posting the text of an article, can we also start posting the URL? It'd be nice to have context of who is reporting and be able to save it into read later apps.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

It's pretty much impossible to detect that without extremely frequent polling of Montana.

Even if Quist loses, we'll have no idea how much of his margin was people who switched votes.

I'd be a lot more confident in Quist if early voting % wasn't so high.

Assault should be disqualifying for someone running for congress.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I had a dream that I met Rush Limbaugh last night. He walked up while I was talking to a group of friends, and I just smiled and shook his hand and said, "Rush". And then I ignored him until he walked away.

It was weird and oddly satisfying.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can anyone confirm he actually takes annual vacations at this time? Was he out the two days before memorial day weekend in 16 and 15?

Edit: quick cursory check shows he was NOT on vacation on May 28 and 29 of 2015, nor May 27 and 28th of 2016

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 25, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/867735204638707712
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/867732133632233473
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/867382292322320384
https://twitter.com/donnermaps/status/867735046106488832
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/867734611408900096
https://twitter.com/BrentBozell/status/867727265966301184
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867734607692779521

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 25, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well, our president, but with few syllables per word.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

I had a dream that I met Rush Limbaugh last night. He walked up while I was talking to a group of friends, and I just smiled and shook his hand and said, "Rush". And then I ignored him until he walked away.

It was weird and oddly satisfying.

did you break his hand with a whiteknuckle kungfu grip? if not, missed dream opportunity

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can anyone confirm he actually takes annual vacations at this time? Was he out the two days before memorial day weekend in 16 and 15?

Bleeding heart ARE TROOPS dipshit like Hannity?

I bet he takes 5 days to mourn the sacrifice of the fallen around Memorial Day every year. He then jerks off on the tomb of the unknown soldier to make patriotic baby ghosts to fight back the legion of aborted baby ghosts he failed to save from oblivion, who've come back FOR REVENGE.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

did you break his hand with a whiteknuckle kungfu grip? if not, missed dream opportunity

You know, dreams, you rarely remember all of it.

Ignoring him until he goes away is an allegory for our times, however.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chilichimp posted:

Bleeding heart ARE TROOPS dipshit like Hannity?

I bet he takes 5 days to mourn the sacrifice of the fallen around Memorial Day every year. He then jerks off on the tomb of the unknown soldier to make patriotic baby ghosts to fight back the legion of aborted baby ghosts he failed to save from oblivion, who've come back FOR REVENGE.

Haha, I just checked and he did NOT take vacation last year or the year before

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes it isn't about homosexuality itself being inherently evil. A common Evangelical view is that sex is only for procreation. Recreational sex is inherently wrong. If you happen to have some good feels while doing it to make babies that's OK but it shouldn't be the main driving force. That extends into homosexuality being wrong because gay sex can't make babies. It is purely recreational in their eyes which makes it inherently lustful and thus sinful. These are the people who don't hate homosexuals but want to save them from that sin so they want to discourage homosexuality to save them from sin. They're also against masturbation as it's purely recreational as well as things like oral sex. If it isn't for procreating it's wrong. This is where the Quiverfull movement steps in; they argue that it's your God-given duty to marry young and have as many babies as possible. Of course that gets into weird logic like if a married couple knows that the woman can't get pregnant is it still OK for them to gently caress constantly? They tend to not have good answers for questions like that.

I've heard some more out there sects say that if you're feeling the urge to gently caress God is inspiring you to have babies so you shouldn't deny it. That gets into some...questionable territory and those people tend to believe that spousal rape is impossible because if you're married the purpose is to make babies so you must have sex as often as either person feels the need to make as many babies as possible. Condoms are bad! Abortion is bad! Birth control is bad! The drive to hump is God telling you to make babies so get with the baby makin'! That same logic means that if somebody is feeling the need to rape somebody then it must be God wanting that baby to come into existence. Hence people arguing that rape babies are "gifts from God." A woman who chooses to not get married and be filled with babies by a man is defying His will and is wrong and bad so He had to work through...other means. Fortunately that belief isn't all that common but I have no idea how somebody can possibly believe that sort of madness without realizing the horror of it.

Of course all of that ignores that human sex isn't only for procreation. It's for bonding and social things as well. The other side of it is that there are in fact a hell of a lot of Evangelicals quoting Leviticus and demanding that all the gays be rounded up and stoned to death. Depends on which flavor of American Christianity you're dealing with, really.

It's kind of weird to me to see people theorizing about what Christians believe. First, most things they base ideologies on are single verses. Occasionally there are a couple other references to the same thing. Honestly, if you play video games it feels like the poo poo people do with dark souls and lore. You find a few sentences talking about something, compare it to the world around you and draw conclusions and develop ideologies. The problem comes when you realize that the Bible tells you it's infallible so anything in the world that might seem to challenge your ideologies is seen as the devil or just persecution. It's a neat little cult-like box if you buy into all of it, honestly.

I guess for me it's hard to imagine not knowing these things. The most commonly/westboro-baptist-y used verse for being anti-gay is Leviticus 20:13

quote:

If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Or the one most older folks are probably used to hearing

quote:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Not much of a difference there. Now, most people don't advocate the execution of gay people any more and that's attributed to the Old Testament being not entirely applicable to us as new Christians. It was meant mostly for god's people in that time. This is mostly because the Old Testament tells you to sacrifice animals as an offering for your sins but in the New Testament Jesus has arrived and died for your sins so offerings are no longer required.

The Bible makes a lot more sense to me as a guide-book to life to keep people from doing awful poo poo to each other (in the time it was written) like we see a lot of today.

Anyway I really didn't mean to turn this into a sermon but generally it's not that people take a random piece of how they feel the world should work. It's that they take random snippets of a book which is the key to eternal life and happiness, choose some prism in which every one of those is true and judge the world around them according to that standard.

Maybe this is just the American version of it - as it sounds like some others in the world are a bit more progressive and open minded about it. But I can assure you that's the way a lot of the Bible Belt sees it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Haha, I just checked and he did NOT take vacation last year or the year before

His shows might have been pre-recorded. Back in my "unironically listen to talk radio days, during which Hannity was STILL insufferable" I remember those guys taking a lot of time off around major holidays.

I could be wrong, though, I admit that I haven't payed attention to these wanks in fuckin' years.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fishing with the fam posted:

While driving home from work yesterday after the release of the CBO score, I decided to do something I never do and listen to conservative radio to hear reaction to the score. It turns out it was Hannity I was listening to. I was tuned in for half an hour and I did not hear him mention the CBO score once. The entire time I was listening was complaining about liberal fascism and their violations of the first amendment by boycotting his show. He took a couple callers who did nothing but compliment him on being tough and not backing down and defending America and freedom.

It was completely void of substance and did not touch on a single current event actually occurring in politics.

The CBO score dropped like 30 minutes before his show ended. Not that he probably would have said much anyway until the RNC gave him notes on how to spin it, but there's a chance you get the show on delay.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've seen a lot of people online blaming the NYTimes for publishing the story.

And I know it is a hot take but I just keep thinking "at least it was their NYTimes. If the Sun or Daily Mail had gotten hold of them they would have also published the name and home address of the poor sap that sold the backpack to the bomber".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Assault should be disqualifying for someone running for congress.

I don't disagree? Nobody's denying that way, way too many people will be perfectly fine with this. The question is how many won't be, and that's going to be a very difficult question to answer without frequent polling over the next week, which nobody is going to do because the election is tomorrow.

edit: errr...today. The election is today.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 25, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Money is speech, therefore by boycotting you're violating freedom of speech!

Don't protest! Just send money.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Job creators, Jack!

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe one will body slam him through a table.

There any body builder leaders?

There's one who's relatively fit and a world-class judo practitioner, but he doesn't like damaging his possessions. :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

The CBO score dropped like 30 minutes before his show ended. Not that he probably would have said much anyway until the RNC gave him notes on how to spin it, but there's a chance you get the show on delay.

The CBO is too complicated to be put on the Two Minutes Hannity. You got to have visceral hard hitting news to talked about.

Like body slamming.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Chilichimp posted:

His shows might have been pre-recorded. Back in my "unironically listen to talk radio days, during which Hannity was STILL insufferable" I remember those guys taking a lot of time off around major holidays.

I could be wrong, though, I admit that I haven't payed attention to these wanks in fuckin' years.

Still doesn't gel with him having a substitute.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
http://i.imgur.com/PHOGsBY.gifv

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
God drat it, I had the popcorn all bought and everything:
https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/867742604254949377
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/867744438642065408
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867744418945798145

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/867571241523200000

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 25, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

It still cracks me up that they released a statement and THEN realized there was both audio AND witnesses.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Looks like widdle snowfwake gweg isn't brave enough to face a reporter when there's security present and a camera running.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can use some sweeping generalizations to describe most republicans like wanting to hurt the poor, wanting to make the rich richer and being in lockstep on their agendas no matter how terrible.

What are some generalizations you could use on democrats? besides that every now and then one of them can't keep their dick in their pants which directly leads to a complete idiot becoming president?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We should bodyslam the clerk just to make sure.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can use some sweeping generalizations to describe most republicans like wanting to hurt the poor, wanting to make the rich richer and being in lockstep on their agendas no matter how terrible.

What are some generalizations you could use on democrats? besides that every now and then one of them can't keep their dick in their pants which directly leads to a complete idiot becoming president?

Go to GBS, you'll find no end of hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

"Socialism!"
"They wanna kill your babies!"
"They want Muslims taking over your towns!"

They're bullshit, but hey, they still work.

• Locked thread