Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LightningKimba posted:

So I decided to make a small trip to the Temple of Mila in Act 3, which... Actually led to Palla, Catria, and Atlas all leaving my party.

Can I get them back? Or are they gone forever? :ohdear:

Go back to where you intially recruited them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

LightningKimba posted:

So I decided to make a small trip to the Temple of Mila in Act 3, which... Actually led to Palla, Catria, and Atlas all leaving my party.

Can I get them back? Or are they gone forever? :ohdear:

You can re-recruit them from the towns immediately.

As an added bonus, they don't leave unless you do a story mission that takes you further away from Grieth's temple so you can enter the Dragon Shrine immediately after that.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah I get that but it comes off to me less as self-love and more no love at all. Like, here's this loving embarrassment of a human being with no morals or real motivation, who has less stats than bosses from a couple of maps ago. He's just the worst. Though I guess he also sorta represents how Zofia's coddling society leads to corruption, like with Dessaix.

Berkut is great though. A very solid mirror to Alm, and he's also way better than Jedah as like a metaphor for how Duma's philosophy can corrupt much Milla's since you never really see why the Church of Duma is a bunch of assholes, they're just crazy. And he's probably the best example in the game for why the continent would be better off without Gods.

The game sticks to its themes and I enjoy that. It's easy to see some thought was put into making just about every character tie in in some way. Was it like that in the original as well?

Slayde can come off like that, but I do think it's indeed that he is only motivated by what gets him and only him a comfortable life. The moment Desaix flees Zofia Castle, Slayde basically abandons him to his fate and makes a far better deal with Rigel than Desaix ever did. He also indeed represents how Zofia's society corrupts people as his motivations make him rather similiar to the deceased King Lima who pursued his own needs above all.

Berkut is indeed very great, and the game makes it very clear that he could have been a very different person if the Gods hadn't been so hands-on as they were.

As for Jedah, he clearly operates on different values and moral standards than is normal. If there's one thing I took from him, it's that he clearly believes that he's doing the right thing, and that the only one he sees fit to usher in the ideal Valentia (that he thinks is the ideal Valentia anyways) is his God.

Anyways, I've completed the game now. After Nuibaba and clearing Celica's part of Act 4, the game actually gave me some fun battles again. Rudolf was done in by me teleporting Alm to attack him, thereby triggering his charge, and Alm was essentially the main attacker on him for the remainder of that map. Act 5 then helped Alm's team catch up in power to Celica's team just in time for Duma.

Also, I have to say I liked Alm's side of the story the most purely because, while Celica had the stronger units for most of the game, her battles after Act 2 turned into a real slog and her side was the least fun thing I've ever had with any Fire Emblem I've played to date. The only majorly unfun thing on Alm's side was when I was going to Nuibaba's manor.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I take back my complaints about Archer Hell. Witch Hell is a million times worse. I beat it without anyone dying but I had to use Mila's Turnwheel an awul lot.

Now I'm at a path split. I take it you can't recruit Zeke if you go west first? The game is nudging me pretty hard to go east, even though it's an OBVIOUS trap.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You cannot no.

Also witch hell wasn't very hard even on hard, mostly because none of them could one round any of my guys, even my barons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think this game proved pretty conclusively that limited supports are better than expansive supports. A hypothetical FE4 remake would obviously go full shipping stimulator but other than that I hope they leave the idea alone

Except to put shipping in Heroes, they should do that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

I think this game proved pretty conclusively that limited supports are better than expansive supports. A hypothetical FE4 remake would obviously go full shipping stimulator but other than that I hope they leave the idea alone

The only thing it did was prove that Base conversations should be back and be a staple of the franchise for the future. The support conversations themselves are short and kinda bad as stand-alone.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There should be limited supports but they also shouldn't be two seconds long

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Except to put shipping in Heroes, they should do that

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy who finds the Supports in Echoes to be mostly blah. Like there are a couple gems (Clive/Mathilda and Alm/Faye come to mind) but a huge number of them are not only incredibly short, but also functionally about nothing. (Tobin/Kliff, looking at you.)

Edit: And immediately after I type this I get proven wrong about being the only one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think 6-7 with a good split on gender is a good number when combined with base conversations and possibly new ways to interject them into the plot.

Unfortunately IntSys for whatever reason refuses to give support conversations to some very obvious and glaring ones for no reasons like...siblings. Why is that still a thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
No, yeah the supports in Echoes are real bad and I have no idea why people keep holding them up as something the series should continue with.

Like did you people who like them read, off the top of my head; Kliff/Tobin, Lukas/Clive, Silique/Faye, Forscythe/Python, Atlas/Celica, Saber/Jesse etc. They were real bad and largely pointless and meandering on top of being really short.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kliff/Tobin is real bad, but the rest contain nice character moments. Echoes' supports are more grounded and conversational, while Awakening and Fates mostly focus on the characters' gimmicks. I personally prefer the former over the latter, it feels more natural.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tae posted:

I think 6-7 with a good split on gender is a good number when combined with base conversations and possibly new ways to interject them into the plot.

Unfortunately IntSys for whatever reason refuses to give support conversations to some very obvious and glaring ones for no reasons like...siblings. Why is that still a thing.

Yeah the Whitewings can all support but Clive can't support with his sister?! I bet they'd have loads to talk about. At least the Clive/Mathilda support is really good and cute. It's rare that you get a support between characters who are already A Thing. It's much more interesting that way!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Kliff/Tobin is real bad, but the rest contain nice character moments. Echoes' supports are more grounded and conversational, while Awakening and Fates mostly focus on the characters' gimmicks. I personally prefer the former over the latter, it feels more natural.

quote:

C Support

Silque: Hello, Faye.

Faye: Oh, Silque! We seem to keep running into each other here on the battlefield.

Silque: Yes, well, I was hoping we could get to know each other better. There are so few of us women fighting alongside Sir Alm, after all. And there are many things I wish to talk about that aren’t for the ears of men.

Faye: Well, um… I don’t think that kind of friendship is for me. Sorry.

Silque: Huh?

Faye: I’d rather spend time near Alm than stand about gossiping. No offense. Anyway… Good luck, I guess!

Silque: What in Mila’s name just happened?

B Support

Silque: Faye! There you are!

Faye: Hello again, Silque. You sure are persistent.

Silque: I would like to make a proposal. If you don’t like gossip, why don’t we talk about Sir Alm? He’s something we can bond over, don’t you think?

Faye: Talking about Alm isn’t fun unless Alm himself is there. Look, it’s okay. Not everyone has to be friends, right?

Silque: Faye? …Faye? *sigh* I’ve lost her again…

A Support

Faye: Hello, Silque.

Silque: Faye? I thought you’d never speak to me again.

Faye: Weeeell… After you stopped approaching me, I realized I kinda…miss your company. I guess I needed a friend after all. Sorry I was so rude.

Silque: Oh, it’s all right. It’s just nice to feel missed. And now we can finally talk!

Faye: Hee hee. You’re a good person, Silque, even if your tongue does like to wag. I’m still not one for gossip, but I would like to know more about you. Maybe we can talk again soon?

Silque: That would be lovely!

The entirety of Faye/Silque's support. Its pointless, short as hell and still manages to have an entire filler rank which is just a repeat of the first one. It also tells us absolutely nothing new about either character and is Silque's sole support.

Also its literally just about Faye's gimmick.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

hey at least Faye made a new friend

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

hey at least Faye made a new friend

Who is a blank slate we know literally nothing about because it was more important to have two full ranks of 'lets be friends for no reason!' 'gently caress off not-Alm'.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Silque has to be sacrificed at the altar of giving us an extra Faye-centric support I'm okay with that

Shame about the filler B rank though

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah the Whitewings can all support but Clive can't support with his sister?!

Clive has supports with Clair in DLC :10bux: whoops nevermind, it's Mathilda and Clair

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 25, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm slightly after beating Desaix in chapter 3 and there's STILL no archers with anti-flier on normal mode. Clair's just going nuts now.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Echoes' supports generally show great chemistry between their characters, which is frankly a bit lacking overall in the 3DS entries. Even though they're short I feel they show more of the characters' personality than many of Fates' supports for example, and that makes me more invested in the characters. The supports are probably never meant to be a major addition to the game, looking at how tightly budgeted this game seems, so it's understandable they have their flaws. But there are some aspects of them that people like and want to see more of, surely that's fair.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The thing that gets me with the Faye - Silque support its never really made clear if Silque is indeed a big gossip or if Faye is just a huge poo poo lord on top of having an unhealthy obsession.

It definitely feels like the latter, but its still weird that it goes from 0 to "Shut up bitch" pretty much immediately with no other ingame evidence that what Faye is saying is the case.

In other opinions, Upheaval map was a roller coaster of emotions. Turn 1 was all "Hey wait a sec, this map is super familiar" and then Turn 2 was like "OH GOD NO".

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Faye creeps Alm out too, I think it's Just How She Is.
The social interaction is an okay trade for the excellent full voice acting though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

Faye creeps Alm out too, I think it's Just How She Is.
The social interaction is an okay trade for the excellent full voice acting though.

I disagree, the voice acting didn't really add much and everything was almost distractingly truncated.

:shrug:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ok also as long as we're discussing presentation, how did they manage to drop the ball SO HARD when it comes to Critical Hits?

They use the normal smiling portraits which just doesn't communicate any intensity, and we know they have serious/stern/shouty portraits to use. And the quotes are all completely lackluster and the animations pale in comparison to the rest of the games' amazing combat animations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

More Normal/Hard comparison. In Sylvan Shrine (The one with the writing on the wall), there's only one gargoyle in the final area before the mila shrine when there's two in hard mode.

edit: now there's two. A glitch?

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2017

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Pureauthor posted:

Ok also as long as we're discussing presentation, how did they manage to drop the ball SO HARD when it comes to Critical Hits?

They use the normal smiling portraits which just doesn't communicate any intensity, and we know they have serious/stern/shouty portraits to use. And the quotes are all completely lackluster and the animations pale in comparison to the rest of the games' amazing combat animations.

It really weirds me out since this game has otherwise perfect polish and excellent presentation and yet they dropped the ball on one of the most important parts of that. Hell sometimes the line either does not play at all or it plays out of sync with the cut-in animations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Zore posted:

The entirety of Faye/Silque's support. Its pointless, short as hell and still manages to have an entire filler rank which is just a repeat of the first one. It also tells us absolutely nothing new about either character and is Silque's sole support.

Also its literally just about Faye's gimmick.

True but it's nice that Faye's gimmick is confined to just one non alm support. Not repeated over 8 separate dialogue support trees. A brief gimmick character is much less tedious than a repetitious gimmick character.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

True but it's nice that Faye's gimmick is confined to just one non alm support. Not repeated over 8 separate dialogue support trees. A brief gimmick character is much less tedious than a repetitious gimmick character.

On the other hand we don't get any non-gimmick supports for her where almost every 'gimmick' character in Awakening/Fates had them.

Faye is such a one note joke its distracting because it even seeps into her base conversations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

I disagree, the voice acting didn't really add much and everything was almost distractingly truncated.

hey why don't you return the games, surely you kept the receipt around right? then you get your money back and i don't have to be in the same thread as your incredibly tedious posts

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

hey why don't you return the games, surely you kept the receipt around right? then you get your money back and i don't have to be in the same thread as your incredibly tedious posts

because I make poor choices and bought it digitally like all the other 3DS Fire Emblems. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I am very tempted to just finish Alm's route for act 3, and then transfer my killer bow to Leon to really break the game. I didn't realize it only took a few silver pieces to get that going.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The game makes me feel guilty for letting people die, even on Casual.

I was on my way out of a very long dungeon to save, becuase I had several close calls where Alm almost got his rear end ganked and that would have been an instant game over and I'd have to redo the whole drat dungeon again.

Mathilda got whacked by a lucky crit on the last goddamn turn of a battle and I just said "gently caress it, this is why I play on Casual," and finished the battle.

Clive started crying over Mathilda getting killed. :( Like, seriously dude she got better, but still. Made me feel bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

because I make poor choices and bought it digitally like all the other 3DS Fire Emblems. :(

tbh not being able to return or resell digital games is a massive thing i dislike about modern-day gaming but this clearly isn't the right thread for me to rant about it, of course. or any thread, probably

bad luck bud, sorry

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dungeons are why the turnwheel exists tbh

Dungeons are the only mechanical aspect of this game (i.e., excluding map design) that I definitely do not want to see return in future titles. The rest range from wanting to see them always or being okay if they return sometimes

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Pureauthor posted:

Regarding the cut-in portraits, it may have been possible that the actual yelling faces that many characters already have just couldn't be implemented as higher resolution versions needed for that closeup, for development reasons. After playing the Japanese version of this game and then this one, it looks like a lot of the critical hit voice quotes that went with them read a lot more like direct translations rather than localizations--the adjacent afterbattle ally comments after critical hits/double whiffs sound much more natural in English. It's like " :geno: i've had it" vs. " :grin: Where'd you learn that one?" or " :mmmhmm: You're having a bad day."

also i felt like in the japanese script silque tries to talk to faye less randomly, because it seems she's trying to hit on her

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think I'd like Dungeons if they were more like the Tower of Valni in Sacred Stones and less actual walking in a dungeon

of course to do this, the Shrine of Mila would have to be the first room you got so you don't have to fight 3 battles just to promote a guy

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I don't get why you can't use the turnwheel if Celica or Alm bite it.

Its probably the only thing that really frustrates me mechanically since it led to two 30 minute dungeon run wipes when I ran into some of the super enemies. Fuckers made a beeline for Celica with that 20 might spell and hit her 3 times with 60% accuracy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I really like the characters and story and I think the Final Dungeon Battle were good, but the desert and swamp maps of Celica's route can all die in a garbage fire.

overall I'm happy with the game but I won't replay it very often probably. Please Remake Sacred Stones

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Zore posted:

I'm sure the next FE is going to go back to the Awakening formula but I enjoy turning on auto-advance and just listening to the characters talk. If I don't I'll tap the button the old fashioned way and then it gets really truncated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really like the characters and story and I think the Final Dungeon Battle were good, but the desert and swamp maps of Celica's route can all die in a garbage fire.

overall I'm happy with the game but I won't replay it very often probably. Please Remake Sacred Stones

After playing through twice now I don't think it's actually true that the whitewings are, mechanically, that much better than anyone else in Celica's route. They probably have comparable or worse stat spreads to Celica, Saber, and Mae off the top of my head

They just seem incredible because they get a huge level lead because you get ten maps in a row where your options are do a surgical strike with your fliers or spend 50 turns wading through horrible maps

• Locked thread