Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will be very surprised if these aren't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I could swear I've seen that cat dragon token somewhere before.

Edit: I dunno, maybe I'm just thinking about the dragon from that cartoon movie.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 25, 2017

Mana Dragon
Nov 1, 2007

Ware Smash!
So I impulse bought a box of mm17 last week, and somehow lucked out on getting these six pulls. I was happily surprised.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

If it weren't fake, the token would indicate what colors it is :(

Serious question: are there any other three color tokens that exist

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Besides the Beast token on the last page, Sand Warriors.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I think the way token color is depicted is the same as for creatures when it comes to multicolor; mixture of the two colors in the border if it's two colors, solid gold if three or more.

Assuming they're real, cat dragon is meh, O-Kaguchi is peak Kamigawa legend (read: weak and overcosted for what it does), and the Ur-Dragon lives up to the name.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If this is real, I might get my wish of a five colour knight tribal deck. :pray:

Edit: Not that I have any idea what a deck like that would actually do.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 25, 2017

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Haakon and nameless inversion, what else?

Edit: I thought that which was taken was okagachis kid, not his own divinity. Just doesn't make sense that the biggest most important kami is smaller than a lot other kami while still being death upon being sighted (even when that which was taken hadn't been returned!) to all creatures on any plane.

I started in kamigawa block so maybe that's why this annoys me so much.

Ought to be a 12-15 drop cast trigger exile all other creatures and some bullshit I win ability and maybe a rider like "can only etb when cast from hand, not through any other effects" to stop sneak and show, reanimator, etc. shenanigans

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 25, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

They're probably real, and I say that mostly because I'll believe almost any reasonable leak after the mess that was colorless mana spoilers

We have nothing to discuss besides if they are real or not because they suck.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Ought to be a 12-15 drop cast trigger exile all other creatures and some bullshit I win ability and maybe a rider like "can only etb when cast from hand, not through any other effects" to stop sneak and show, reanimator, etc. shenanigans
You do realize this is a card printed to sit in the command zone, in a game of commander, right? :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siivola posted:

You do realize this is a card printed to sit in the command zone, in a game of commander, right? :v:

Ah yes what I want to do with my giant dragon commander, not play it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

I'm glad they don't let you design cards.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well I mean, you can't "cast it from your hand" if it's in the command zone.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Oops, that beast token made a fool of me, I could only think of this dragon as a gold token:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What a coincidence, that is what I want to do with the commander format: not play it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

What a coincidence, that is what I want to do with the commander format: not play it.

Want a banana sticker or something, we are talking about this precise way to arrange cardboard rectangles.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

We have nothing to discuss besides if they are real or not because they suck.

Ur-Dragon is fine

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I hope for a colorless Eldrazi commander insane enough to be Legacy playable

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

I hope for a colorless Eldrazi commander insane enough to be Legacy playable

YES THIS. I play Ulamog in legacy eldrazi just because it's not literally the worst and I can cast my commander every now and then

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean if you want a colorless commander just play Karn.

And Mycosynth Lattice. :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

If this is real, I might get my wish of a five colour knight tribal deck. :pray:

Edit: Not that I have any idea what a deck like that would actually do.

Kinsbaile Cavalier and Knight Exemplar are neat.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Anyone with SCG Premium have MIchael Majors' latest Death Shadow list?

OK, so there is a decent amount of context around the two lists he posted:

Quick summary: 4 color version has high tension between enablers and payoffs. "You will often end up in situations where your cards become difficult to turn on and then you're simply treading water and casting an interactive spell or two while waiting for the rest of your hand to develop properly. This dilutes the inherent strengths of the deck, speed and mana efficiency. As a result, this approach to Four-Color Shadow Strikes me as a "glass cannon."

Tarfire good with rise of CoCo and also can be best card for enabling Shadow/Goyf/Traverse simultaneously.

Stubborn Denial > TBR because it protects lead long enough to finish and gives lots of % against combo.

This build attempts to make this strategy as consistent as possible.

Next deck is kind of a "test new concepts in DS" list. Taking principles of Clay's deck and porting it in opposite direction. Hyper disruptive and generates large bodies to play defense, along with card advantage and grindy elements.

Mentions he would like to play 4 thought scour and likely another fatal push but hard to squeeze it all in there.

Speaking of Clay's deck, Majors says "Clay's deck and the movement that will result from its success is essentially the second step in getting Death's Shadow banned."

This was a lot of effort to get around just pasting the entire paid article because of :filez: concerns

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lone Goat posted:

Peasant Commander is the only good Commander

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

(Ramos was a robot dragon on Mercadia and there was a cycle of mana rocks in Masques referring to him)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Haakon and nameless inversion, what else?

Edit: I thought that which was taken was okagachis kid, not his own divinity. Just doesn't make sense that the biggest most important kami is smaller than a lot other kami while still being death upon being sighted (even when that which was taken hadn't been returned!) to all creatures on any plane.

I started in kamigawa block so maybe that's why this annoys me so much.

Looking at the Wiki, That Which Was Taken was his daughter but he wanted to eat her to make her part of him again. So I guess the source of his divinity became a being in its own right after being taken out?

Nerd Stuff posted:

Though Kyodai seemed insignificant in the shadow of her "father", she had once been a part of O-Kagachi, and not just any part -- she had been its divinity, the core of its being. Now that she was separate from O-Kagachi and had a form and will of her own, she did not wish to be consumed into the essence of the Great Serpent again. She desired to keep her freedom and individuality, and to save the lives of the people who had set her free after twenty years of imprisonment. Sharing her power with Princess Michiko, she confronted her father.

Magic lore is weird.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

OK, so there is a decent amount of context around the two lists he posted:

Quick summary: 4 color version has high tension between enablers and payoffs. "You will often end up in situations where your cards become difficult to turn on and then you're simply treading water and casting an interactive spell or two while waiting for the rest of your hand to develop properly. This dilutes the inherent strengths of the deck, speed and mana efficiency. As a result, this approach to Four-Color Shadow Strikes me as a "glass cannon."

Tarfire good with rise of CoCo and also can be best card for enabling Shadow/Goyf/Traverse simultaneously.

Stubborn Denial > TBR because it protects lead long enough to finish and gives lots of % against combo.

This build attempts to make this strategy as consistent as possible.

Next deck is kind of a "test new concepts in DS" list. Taking principles of Clay's deck and porting it in opposite direction. Hyper disruptive and generates large bodies to play defense, along with card advantage and grindy elements.

Mentions he would like to play 4 thought scour and likely another fatal push but hard to squeeze it all in there.

Speaking of Clay's deck, Majors says "Clay's deck and the movement that will result from its success is essentially the second step in getting Death's Shadow banned."

This was a lot of effort to get around just pasting the entire paid article because of :filez: concerns

Thanks, this is very helpful. The Goyf's in the second list are super odd. I would think that you either play Tarfire+Goyf+traverse or none of those and Devle Creatures+Snap+Thought scour

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 25, 2017

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I love that Ramos could be real and then run every piece of him from MM.

and CAT DRAGONS!!!!

CAT

DRAGONS

:3

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I've been on the Coco/Vizier train since the release of Amonkhet. This deck looks extremely well suited against it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pontius Pilate posted:

e: whoops

For contentish: another point in favor of these being real is that commander sets are basically the only way they can do weird callbacks these days.

I live for weird callbacks in Magic so I'm rooting for these to be real.

Magic is like the one franchise where I have intense nostalgia for characters/content from its early days and I'm not really sure why I feel that for Magic and not other things. Maybe because there's perhaps the only franchise I care about where they haven't already drained the nostalgia well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Walked posted:

I've been on the Coco/Vizier train since the release of Amonkhet. This deck looks extremely well suited against it.

The first list seems better vs Coco. Tarfire is a real card in that matchup.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

holy poo poo Taigam is a beast

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The first list seems better vs Coco. Tarfire is a real card in that matchup.

Quoted the wrong one; I agree completely.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If Commander 2017 is five-color decks, then one of the commanders to be the Reaper King. And get or lord and savior Progenitus in there too.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Standard Blue-Red players:

To go the 24/25 land with Hieroglyphic build or 26 lands with anticipate?
I am also debating on a third Sweltering Sun vs either Commit / Memory or summary dismissal.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Man I just do not understand limited.

For draft, I tried to rock a Nest of Scarabs deck. I ended up getting two of them, a Decimator Beetle, 4 Stingscorch whatever 4 drops, and random Approach of the Second Sun. I thought I had decent support for the -1/-1 counters archetype, but I didn't take a single game. I felt like other decks either had a flier or two that I couldn't deal with, went wider than me, or was quicker than I could get a Nest plus anything else out. Trying to build around enchantments seems really bad when you can be swinging for 8 or something on turn 4.

For the sealed league, I opened two Cascading Cataracts (one promo), Drake Haven, the white token doubler, the blue Sphinx than scrys when you cycle, Approach of the Second Suns, and something else that I don't remember. I tried to use the Approach, Sphinx, and Drake Haven, but I only had like 4 cycling cards in those colors. Ended up losing the match 2-1 because the guy was playing creatures while I'm digging for my enchantment, and his cycling pay off (Demon who puts -1/-1 counters everywhere) seemed much better than what I was doing.

I know that with practice comes skill or whatever, but It also feels really bad to pay 13 to practice. It's also hard to gauge how good combat tricks are. In my head, they're garbage because they are usually garbage in the formats I play (EDH and formerly Standard in Zend/Mirrodin era). Like obviously combat tricks are blow outs, but when I get to draft like once every 2 weeks or whatever, it's difficult to rewire my brain to evaluate things in a more realistic manner.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If it's any consolation, I tried doing a Drake Haven deck last week and scrubbed out hard. :sigh:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

For draft, I tried to rock a Nest of Scarabs deck. I ended up getting two of them, a Decimator Beetle, 4 Stingscorch whatever 4 drops, and random Approach of the Second Sun. I thought I had decent support for the -1/-1 counters archetype, but I didn't take a single game. I felt like other decks either had a flier or two that I couldn't deal with, went wider than me, or was quicker than I could get a Nest plus anything else out. Trying to build around enchantments seems really bad when you can be swinging for 8 or something on turn 4.

For the sealed league, I opened two Cascading Cataracts (one promo), Drake Haven, the white token doubler, the blue Sphinx than scrys when you cycle, Approach of the Second Suns, and something else that I don't remember. I tried to use the Approach, Sphinx, and Drake Haven, but I only had like 4 cycling cards in those colors. Ended up losing the match 2-1 because the guy was playing creatures while I'm digging for my enchantment, and his cycling pay off (Demon who puts -1/-1 counters everywhere) seemed much better than what I was doing.

I know that with practice comes skill or whatever, but It also feels really bad to pay 13 to practice. It's also hard to gauge how good combat tricks are. In my head, they're garbage because they are usually garbage in the formats I play (EDH and formerly Standard in Zend/Mirrodin era). Like obviously combat tricks are blow outs, but when I get to draft like once every 2 weeks or whatever, it's difficult to rewire my brain to evaluate things in a more realistic manner.
Watch LSVs draft videos. He does a good job explaining his picks as he drafts them along with exposing synergies that may not be super obvious, as well as exposing which synergies aren't that strong for the set being drafted. Its definitely an eye opener and can help you figure out which directions not to go in per set.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Shadow225 posted:

Trying to build around enchantments seems really bad when you can be swinging for 8 or something on turn 4.

Ended up losing the match 2-1 because the guy was playing creatures while I'm digging for my enchantment, and his cycling pay off (Demon who puts -1/-1 counters everywhere) seemed much better than what I was doing.

Post your draft & sealed league decks / pools

Don't take this wrong but judging your from your above comments it sounds like you're sort of durdling around and trying to assemble a number of pieces while your opponents are just curving out and killing you. Ultimately for most drafters playing cards that affect the board state is where you want to be versus digging through your deck.

Amonkhet draft is a pretty aggressive format so messing around with enchantments / synergistic builds frequently will result in you getting rolled horribly unless you can mitigate the initial pressure. Some mtg pros are even prioritizing 2 drops and 3 drops and curving out over good 4 & 5 drops.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Star Man posted:

If Commander 2017 is five-color decks, then one of the commanders to be the Reaper King. And get or lord and savior Progenitus in there too.

They already confirmed Commander 17 is tribal. I think they'll have a spread of colour sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mehall posted:

They already confirmed Commander 17 is tribal. I think they'll have a spread of colour sets.

welp

Please make a Merfolk deck Wizards kthx