Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp, there's 85 bucks I'm going to end up spending.

I'm debating going for $160 and getting them all, or buying the ebooks and printing out the bits that aren't fluff to make a more concise book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gotta dig out my chaplains

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Gonna buy the big box because I have no impulse control.

Oh, and the chaos and Xenos 2 book. Maybe the imperium books? I'll wait until people figure out if sisters are hot garbage

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm debating going for $160 and getting them all, or buying the ebooks and printing out the bits that aren't fluff to make a more concise book.

I'm only really interested in running Orks, so I can't really justify buying the big box.

I mean, I want to paint up a few Marines at some point just because power armor's neat looking, but I can't see ever getting enough of them to actually use on the table.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. I know it'll be a cold day in hell before they release a box without marines of some stripe, and that if they do it'd likely be Eldar or Tau if anything, but I'd kill for an Ork vs. Tyranid box to simulate their endless battling.

Hell, a box set for every faction would probably be the ultimate ideal so everyone would have something to split, but also be an absolute pipe dream.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

Yeah. I know it'll be a cold day in hell before they release a box without marines of some stripe, and that if they do it'd likely be Eldar or Tau if anything, but I'd kill for an Ork vs. Tyranid box to simulate their endless battling.

Hell, a box set for every faction would probably be the ultimate ideal so everyone would have something to split, but also be an absolute pipe dream.

They have get started kits for each faction, which are a decent deal. As long as the rulebooks are reasonable then picking up just whichever of those you want and the rules is the way to go.

The box set has two factions so odds are you're getting some dudes you won't actually use.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah. I'm waiting before making any purchase outside the rules, though.

Want to see what the points look like, and if maaaaybe my boyz are getting some new models based on the AOS Ironjawz.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm very excited to see what happens to Berserkers and Noise Marines after what they've done with Rubrics and Plague Marines which are both just absolutely amazing.

Probably be awhile though?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zaphod42 posted:

They have get started kits for each faction, which are a decent deal. As long as the rulebooks are reasonable then picking up just whichever of those you want and the rules is the way to go.

The box set has two factions so odds are you're getting some dudes you won't actually use.

That's a really good point. I meant more for the purposes of having a rulebook and a pair of evenly matched factions to split with friends, though, but I guess unless they made a starter pair for literally every faction combo that'd be impossible to make perfect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Getting the new box and splitting it with someone that wants or can deal with your non-preferred faction is a good idea. You can also sell the other half on ebay and probably get your money back in full on that half of the box.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

40k's basically dead in my area, so I think I'll hold off on getting the main rulebook until a paperback drops.

Or preferably a digest-sized one without the fluff bits.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gotta admit, I'd kinda like a paperback as well, so I can have it spiral bound.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm only really interested in running Orks, so I can't really justify buying the big box.

I mean, I want to paint up a few Marines at some point just because power armor's neat looking, but I can't see ever getting enough of them to actually use on the table.

By $160 I meant all the rulebooks, although it would actually be $185 since I didn't realize there are 5 army books. I agree that the box isn't terribly appealing.

Liquid Communism posted:

Gotta admit, I'd kinda like a paperback as well, so I can have it spiral bound.

Same. Hence the appeal of the epub format.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 25, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JBP posted:

Getting the new box and splitting it with someone that wants or can deal with your non-preferred faction is a good idea. You can also sell the other half on ebay and probably get your money back in full on that half of the box.

I'm getting two and doing swaps to get three lots of Deathguard, one lot of bigly marines for my Carcharadons and one rulebook.

Ebay will be awash with spare rulebooks. I'd bet on £20 being the going rate for them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

panascope posted:

Post more of the first one, that head looks dope.

I'll try remember to dig him out of whatever box he wound up in this weekend for more shots.

adamantium|wang posted:

Is... is that Crozius the bridge statute from an Imperial battleship? :stare:

Sure is! I guess he's compensating for something...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

"DRIVE ME CLOSER, I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY BATTLESHIP!"

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

"DRIVE ME CLOSER, I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY BATTLESHIP!"

I'd play World Eaters in BFG too.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Coming in last on the Chaplain train:

And because there isn't enough disco in this thread...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

My LGS is actually doing a decent deal on this. If anyone is splitting a box he'll throw in an extra rulebook for $40.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
http://i.imgur.com/1uPWPbi.jpg

Adding to chaplain chat, RG chaplain with an axe vs a crozius

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's always chaplain time. (Keep posting your chaplains.)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ordering parts for a terminator chaplain tomorrow, hope they don't suck in 8th edition!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Bit the bullet and pre-ordered the Dark Imperium box at my FLGS some I have a 15% off discount sitting around. Don't plan on playing with the Death Guard half but I really want to own and and paint them. They may make a fun SWA force.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Still haven't put him on a base or anything but here's my Chaplain:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

panascope posted:

Hmm. Those alligator clips are a good idea.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

panascope posted:

I really like this green.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Mission info is up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/25/new-warhammer-40000-missions/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
New Missions info is up. Good stuff imo
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/25/new-warhammer-40000-missions/

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Tsk Tsk to all of you people who don't want the starter box factions and want to just play Orks or other non-SPACE MARINES(!), as I was told in no uncertain terms that I had no business getting back into this game if I didn't want to play either SM or CSM.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Mission info is up restart Steam
https://www.warhammer-community.com...40000-missions/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Tsk Tsk to all of you people who don't want the starter box factions and want to just play Orks or other non-SPACE MARINES(!), as I was told in no uncertain terms that I had no business getting back into this game if I didn't want to play either SM or CSM.

I'm sorry whoever you were talking to is bad and wrong?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sorry whoever you were talking to is bad and wrong?

That isnt really what I said, I said this hobby is hard and likely not the best if you have no interest in playing chaos or space marines, as they are the center of the fluff, rules, and model line for better or worse. I also said i think for new players I would recommend starting one of these armies first. This doesn't mean im not bad or wrong though.

The draw a new objective stratagem is 2 command points, that seems like a lot I wonder if it will be useful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hmm. Those alligator clips are a good idea.

Yeah that is kinda neat. I should almost get a pair myself and try it out.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Corrode posted:

I really like this green.

It's Vallejo German Army Uniform with a Coelia Greenshade wash followed by a GAU+Dawnstone layer. Super easy, especially compared to the like 16-pot recipe for Sons of Horus that FW suggests.

panascope fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 25, 2017

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

NPC army focus: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/25/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-orks/

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Orks... good?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like no sentence describing a 6+ Feel No Pain should end with an exclamation point.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Chaplains ITT.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
drat, Orks sound like they're gonna wreck poo poo.

Although the idea of an Ork surviving a Lascannon shot is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Bring back scatter but just for Orks.

• Locked thread