Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I knew the NATO part wasn't going to go so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pollyanna posted:

We only ever thought we evolved past cavemen.

I'm not so sure, cavemen generally acknowledged that everyone needed to be in the cave or they'd die.

What im saying is the Croods are more civilized than the average voter.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/867716497489227776

Macron speaks better English than trump and that is not an exaggeration.

I hope he spoke French the whole meeting just to gently caress with him.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

This is exactly the kind of poo poo that worries me.

I bet her gas station health insurance is real good and is only going to get better under the AHCA.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Man yo I want to distance myself from glowing fish's overnight crazy, I was just giving people poo poo because hey what's the point in having states if not to give people in other states poo poo, but that dude crazy.

I'm goddamn loving this Gianforte mess though. Imagine doing something that gets you charged with assault on the eve of the election.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
"It is not isolation and the building of walls that makes us successful" -- Angela Merkel dunking on Trump

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xombie posted:

That's the confusing thing for me. I get how people become fascists. I just don't get how they become fascist and think that it's some type of libertarianism.

There isn't much thinking involved.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Zil posted:

It is tribal/team mentality. If you are not on my side, you are not equal to me and are not deserving of any rights.
roll tide

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mister Adequate posted:

Man yo I want to distance myself from glowing fish's overnight crazy, I was just giving people poo poo because hey what's the point in having states if not to give people in other states poo poo, but that dude crazy.

I'm goddamn loving this Gianforte mess though. Imagine doing something that gets you charged with assault on the eve of the election.

Insert standard "Imagine if a democrat did this" here.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

In case you missed Trump's speech:

"Terrorists are bad people, now PAY UP"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Literally treating like a tenant forgetting to pay their rent.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trumpnjust ordered DOJ to investigate the leaks of the London bomb investigation.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Potato Salad posted:

Insert standard "Imagine if a democrat did this" here.

IOKIYAR/IACIYAD

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FizFashizzle posted:

Trumpnjust ordered DOJ to investigate the leaks of the London bomb investigation.

That... actually seems like a reasonable step to take.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This administration is a loving farce even for republicans, put it out of its misery so we can all start healing.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
New York Times has defended their publishing of the leaks. Idiots.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The right will use this as a way to punish the New York Times.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

This administration is a loving farce even for republicans, put it out of its misery so we can all start healing.

You want a president Pence? This is how we get a President Pence.

Keeping Trump:
Good - They can't get poo poo done, they will be mired in scandal, republican brand will be badly damaged for years
Bad - Trump has access to nukes, is badly diminishing American prestige abroad.

Getting rid of trump:
Good - Getting nutter away from nukes
Bad - President Pence knows how to actually govern, will enact far right republican agenda.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Reince Priebus Sweating Secret Comey Memos, White House Sources Say

quote:

Three White House officials told The Daily Beast that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus has privately expressed worry about a possible Comey memo specifically involving one of their reported chats, and how it might play in the press and to investigators.
“Nervous laughter,” one official succinctly characterized Priebus’ demeanor in the midst of recent revelations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xombie posted:

That's the confusing thing for me. I get how people become fascists. I just don't get how they become fascist and think that it's some type of libertarianism.

I am equally bewildered by all this. My time in the Libertarian thread and reading some writings from a delightful fellow named Hans Herman Hoppe only made it all the more puzzling.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/09/hans-hermann-hoppe/smack-down/

He also wrote a book extolling the greatness of monarchy and how it actually let us be more free than we are now.

I can only conclude these people are insane. That's the only answer I have. I understand the appeal of Libertarianism. I understand the appeal of Authoritarianism. I cannot understand how anyone can support both.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cimber posted:

You want a president Pence? This is how we get a President Pence.

Keeping Trump:
Good - They can't get poo poo done, they will be mired in scandal, republican brand will be badly damaged for years
Bad - Trump has access to nukes

Getting rid of trump:
Good - Getting nutter away from nukes
Bad - President Pence knows how to actually govern, will enact far right republican agenda.

lol

just lol forever

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

skylined! posted:

lol

just lol forever

Hey man, its all relative.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Flip you alchy piece of poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing about NATO is, it's actually a valid complaint that some countries aren't spending the amount specified in the treaty on their own defense, but Trump's complaint and the way he's going about it is completely moronic and counterproductive. We should be asking these countries why they're having trouble getting there and what kind of help they need to get there and if there's anything we can do tradewise it military-wise to help them meet those goals, not threatening that we'll just out of NATO.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I cannot help but suspect that the whole Manchester bombing leak issue was done intentionally by the administration or at least someone in it to feed the "The real crimes are the leaks" message.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Libertarianism for me. Authoritarianism for everyone else.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NikkolasKing posted:

I can only conclude these people are insane. That's the only answer I have. I understand the appeal of Libertarianism. I understand the appeal of Authoritarianism. I cannot understand how anyone can support both.

No, no. It's perfectly sane. They want to be Authoritarian rulers, and think adopting Libertarian policies will make that process easier.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Apologies if it has been discussed, but would this monstrosity pass SCOTUS?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2017/05/24/a-new-gop-bill-would-make-it-virtually-impossible-to-sue-the-police/

quote:

Let’s look first at the new federal crimes. The bill would create new federal crimes for killing, attempting to kill or conspiring to kill a state or local law enforcement officer who works for a police agency that receives federal funding. Because nearly all police agencies receive some sort of federal funding, including most local sheriff’s departments and town police, the bill basically makes it a federal crime to kill, attempt to kill or conspire to kill any police officer (as well as any judge or first responder). The bill would also allow for the federal death penalty in such cases, and it would impose limits on the ability of defendants to file habeas petitions in federal court after they’ve exhausted their appeals.

The legislation would make also it a federal crime to assault any law enforcement officer (again, using the hook of federal funding). An assault resulting in bodily harm would bring a federal mandatory minimum of between two and 10 years in prison, depending on the severity of any injuries to the officer, plus an additional 20-year mandatory minimum if a dangerous weapon was used “during and in relation to the assault.” An assault not resulting in bodily harm would carry a sentence of up to a year in prison.

While Republicans are fond of touting principles like federalism and local control over criminal-justice policy when it comes to, say, federal oversight of abusive police, this bill would let a Trump-appointed district attorney overrule local officials if he or she didn’t like the way they were handling a case involving an assault or killing of a cop. For example, a number of jurisdictions across the country have recently elected district attorneys who promise a more reform-oriented approach to law enforcement. In a few places, such as Philadelphia, Chicago and Houston, the new DAs were elected specifically after campaigning on policing issues, or in response to a past incumbent’s inattention to police abuse. If this bill passes, a U.S. attorney more sympathetic to law enforcement could thwart those efforts by, for example, charging a high-profile victim of police abuse with the new federal crime of assaulting a police officer. It wouldn’t be difficult. We’ve seen plenty of video now where a clear victim of police brutality was initially arrested and charged with battering one of the officers who beat him.

A federal prosecutor might also pursue federal charges against someone like Henry Magee, the Texas man who was cleared by a grand jury after killing a police officer during a marijuana raid on his home. Magee said he didn’t know the raiding officers were cops, and fired his gun in self-defense. Or against Ray Rosas, who was acquitted by a jury after shooting at three police officers who raided his home in search of drugs.

In fact, the bill explicitly authorizes federal prosecutions in cases in which “the verdict or sentence obtained pursuant to State charges left demonstratively unvindicated the Federal interest in eradicating bias-motivated violence” or “a prosecution by the United States is in the public interest and necessary to secure substantial justice.” Which is to say that the bill leaves such decisions wholly up to the discretion of federal prosecutors, regardless of the will of the officials or public at the state and local level. In Philadelphia, longtime civil rights attorney Larry Krasner just overwhelmingly won the Democratic primary for DA, and is heavily favored to win the general election. He has vowed to stop seeking the death penalty in the city. If he’s elected, a federal prosecutor could in theory re-try any case involving the killing of a police officer to essentially override Krasner and win a death sentence. Regardless of how one feels about the death penalty, doing so would be contrary to the will of the voters and local officials, and an abdication of those principles of federalism and local control that Republicans claim to hold dear.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Radish posted:

Libertarianism for me. Authoritarianism for everyone else.

Basically this.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

So things are actually worse than I had feared because what is being demonstrated here is that the Narrativists in Congress have reached a sufficient level of compaction that they are now comfortable enough discussing their inner narrative in public that open violence directed towards the press is now become acceptable. While I expected this level of compaction would exist in the rank-and-file as well as the RWM echosphere- to see it being so brazenly displayed by elected officials is extremely concerning. I have long feared that when Donald Trump inevitably calls for violence that his calls will be echoed by elected officials but I have remained cautiously optimistic that it would not come to pass.However in light of the past 24 hours it now seems prudent to conclude that if/when Donald Trump incites his followers to violence against his enemies a non-trivial number of elected GOP officials will readily join him in also publicly inciting violence.

I strongly hope that Gianforte loses today, if he does not experience some public consequences for this then the consequences for Democracy are going to be pretty severe.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Xombie posted:

No matter how many "understanding Trump voters" articles I read, I still don't understand how someone can have the cognitive dissonance to think they are for "small government" when they literally want politicians to act without any accountability whatsoever, as long as it's their guy doing the kicking.

Detention centers? Lock em up! Pesky journalists? Beat them! Protestors? Traitors! It's so bizarre. What do they actually think is in the constitution? How does their brain even justify this?

There are a ton of narratives in our society that this slots right into.

You can probably come up with the stock movie scenes in your head: slimebag reporter who doesn't Get It jams a tape recorder in the hero cop/CIA agent/costumed crusader's face, demanding to know why he scratched a building while taking out the evil terrorists and saving the planet. The hero gently pushes the reporter away and is immediately lambasted by the world, who just doesn't understand them, for this heinous assault.

When somebody who hasn't been paying attention (or heard the audio) hears that their guy punched out a reporter, that's the kind of story that will pop into their head. Every human being tries to make sense of the world by putting new information into the stories they already know; this is why morality tales and fables exist everywhere. It's just that the US, and the conservative movement in particular, has adopted action movies as a key part of its moral framework.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Prester Jane posted:

So things are actually worse than I had feared because what is being demonstrated here is that the Narrativists in Congress have reached a sufficient level of compaction that they are now comfortable enough discussing their inner narrative in public that open violence directed towards the press is now become acceptable. While I expected this level of compaction would exist in the rank-and-file as well as the RWM echosphere- to see it being so brazenly displayed by elected officials is extremely concerning. I have long feared that when Donald Trump inevitably calls for violence that his calls will be echoed by elected officials but I have remained cautiously optimistic that it would not come to pass.However in light of the past 24 hours it now seems prudent to conclude that if/when Donald Trump incites his followers to violence against his enemies a non-trivial number of elected GOP officials will readily join him in also publicly inciting violence.

I strongly hope that Gianforte loses today, if he does not experience some public consequences for this then the consequences for Democracy are going to be pretty severe.

When the president can brag about sexual assault and his dick size on a presidential debate stage and still get elected, everything else is small bore. I think we're past the point of no return.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even if Trump is caught handing over the Nuke codes to the Russians and getting a giant sack with "$" printed on it, the Republicans in Congress have decided that they won't impeach him under any circumstances because it would be too politically damaging for them.

quote:

The status quo in Washington — an unhinged, unfit, mentally disturbed narcissist as POTUS fast losing any faint credibility with even his own staffers — is utterly unsustainable. In a serious crisis, more than half the country won’t believe a word the president says. The White House is barely functioning; legislation is completely stalled; next week’s trip abroad will have everyone watching from behind a couch; the FBI and CIA are reeling; there’s almost no one in the State Department; no presidential due diligence is applied to military actions; the president only reads memos when his name is mentioned in them; a not-too-smart and apparently mute 35-year-old son-in-law is supposed to solve every problem in the country and world; and the press secretary is hiding in the bushes. No one has any confidence that the president couldn’t throw us into a war or a constitutional crisis at a moment’s notice. Nothing this scary has happened in my lifetime.

And yet around 35 percent of the country still somehow views every single catastrophe Trump perpetrates on America and the world as either a roaring triumph or a huge middle finger to the elites, and therefore fine. For them, everything is sustainable. When Republicans can shrug off giving top-secret Israeli intelligence to the Russians, there is nothing they cannot shrug off. We are not talking about support for various policies here. We are talking about the kind of following a cult leader has. In poll after poll, around 80 percent of Republicans still approve of the job Trump is doing. Still. That’s why the GOP leadership, even as their agenda evaporates, are leery of taking Trump on. His hold on their own voters is tighter than theirs is. It’s tighter than Nixon’s because Trump has built a reactionary movement from the ground up and taken over an entire party. He can communicate with them in ways no other Republican can. And there is no way on earth he is ever going to go quietly, if he agrees to go at all.

That’s why I have a hard time figuring out how this ends, even though it must end. Even if the conclusion of Robert Mueller’s investigation hits some pay dirt, I can see Trump surviving if he cannot be proven to be directly implicated. He’s already setting up the case: He’s being subjected to an historically unprecedented witch hunt, remember? And there’s no institution or person he won’t blame or destroy in his bid to save himself. Just ask his former creditors. If he’s up against the wall, he will treat the Constitution the way he treated his banks. Or say the Dems manage to regain the House next year, and hold impeachment hearings. Wouldn’t that simply galvanize support for Trump as he fights back against the “deep state,” the “swamp,” the GOP, and what Hannity calls the propaganda media circus — and render 66 votes in the Senate to convict him a pipe dream? Part of me wonders if he’d quit even if he’s beaten in the next presidential election? Isn’t it always rigged when he loses?

In some ways, I think the best analogy for Trump is O.J. Simpson. Even if we all know he’s guilty as sin, even if his own supporters see the flimflam behind the claptrap, even if the evidence is staring us in the face, he’ll never lose his core support. For 35 percent of the country, he’ll never be guiltier than the system he’s challenging. The best we can hope for is a Democratic House in 2018 and a grinding, grueling attempt to minimize the already enormous harm Trump has done in the meantime.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/trump-the-cult-and-cover-up.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 25, 2017

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if Trump is caught handing over the Nuke codes to the Russians and getting a giant sack with "$" printed on it, the Republicans in Congress have decided that they won't impeach him under any circumstances because it would be too politically damaging for them.

party over country

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Even if Trump is caught handing over the Nuke codes to the Russians and getting a giant sack with "$" printed on it, the Republicans in Congress have decided that they won't impeach him.

please link your sources so we can tell whether or not they're worth reading thank you!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I cannot help but suspect that the whole Manchester bombing leak issue was done intentionally by the administration or at least someone in it to feed the "The real crimes are the leaks" message.

Yeah, because Trump and his people have shown real foresight about these kinds of things in the past. They leaked because everything there leaks. It's probably a safer bet that some individual either did it because that's what they do now, or they did it because they think ISLAMIC TERROR helps them and they couldn't wait for the Brits to move forward.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

awesmoe posted:

please link your sources so we can tell whether or not they're worth reading thank you!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/trump-the-cult-and-cover-up.html

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

In a 5-4 ruling....

But for real, that is going to end up in the Supreme Court and will be very interesting under a Sessions run DOJ.

• Locked thread