Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

There's probably a masters' thesis waiting out there for someone with the wherewithal to do a longitudinal study on the corrupting power of wealth on an individual by evaluating 20 years of Adam's rants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha, that autocorrect for you. :hitler:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

pangstrom posted:

I'm changing my tune a little -- I think the new Adam and Drew show might be pretty good. Drew and Gary are clearly on the "let's have the show be about calls/real life problems" page.. Adam got pretty pissed when Gary did it mid pre-formulated-rant-for-the-Nth time (turns out they didn't have a lot of calls in the hopper) but he kind of backed off in a way that suggests he might be on board, too.

pangstrom posted:

Everybody knows this but they should start the show with a boilerplate intro and then go right to the calls. Calls give seeds Adam can have new-ish thoughts around. When he starts going down an old road I just skip until I hear a novel voice. Still enjoy the show but yeah there's bad with the good.
Just since the thread is dead anyway: there is kind of an interesting dynamic in the Adam and Drew show where Drew and Gary (the engineer/assistant/whatever) both know they should take calls instead of it just being huge chunks of Adam-repeats-a-rant, but Adam has mostly shut down Gary on the subject and Drew, while he is less Adam's "subordinate", keeps chickening out of his half-rear end circumspect-yet-transparent attempts. It's not as entertaining as it would be if they just took calls but it can be pretty entertaining.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Somewhat related, I'm really glad that Gary stopped showing up on Ray/Stromer On the House. He was such a douche, especially when contrasted with Matt's friendly nature.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

vote_no posted:

Somewhat related, I'm really glad that Gary stopped showing up on Ray/Stromer On the House. He was such a douche, especially when contrasted with Matt's friendly nature.

Dude, you said it! The show is a million times better with Matt and Caelan. Matt can be a little bitch from time to time but for the most part as long as he rolls with the punches it's the best the show can be-seriously.

I really wish they'd get rid of the original AOTH and make Ray and Stromer an hour and a half one time per week. Not only would the fans like that more (read Twitter) but it would free up Adam's schedule as it's usually the first podcast he records on the marathon day of recording they do where they record like 9 shows in a day. This is the only show I listen to on the entire network now with the exception for partial episodes of The Watercooler just so I can keep up on what's going on.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pangstrom posted:

Just since the thread is dead anyway: there is kind of an interesting dynamic in the Adam and Drew show where Drew and Gary (the engineer/assistant/whatever) both know they should take calls instead of it just being huge chunks of Adam-repeats-a-rant, but Adam has mostly shut down Gary on the subject and Drew, while he is less Adam's "subordinate", keeps chickening out of his half-rear end circumspect-yet-transparent attempts. It's not as entertaining as it would be if they just took calls but it can be pretty entertaining.

After 15 minutes of "let's try to find this apartment on Google Maps street view for no reason" I can never trust anything Adam says about "good pod" ever again.

The show could really use some editing whenever they do that type of thing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that's not going to happen for like 30 reasons, unless a fan with a LOT of time on their hands does it. A "best of" podcast would be great as long as the person had good taste but anybody up for that would probably be such a Carolla superfan that they would just edit out the musical bumpers and the 5 minutes of Bryan and Gina and the guest talking.

Adam doing visual stuff is very confusing to me, I mean he's quick to do jump on Drew for it and I can half-excuse it when it's something he's so into he can't help himself even if it's going to bore 90% of listeners (car race audio), but yeah sometimes it's just bizarre. Every once in awhile on the A&D show he gives bad google instructions for uninteresting and visual stuff then ribs Gary when he couldn't get what he was looking for.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 25, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This has to be close to rock bottom for him creatively, yes?

http://www.avclub.com/article/adam-carolla-needs-your-money-really-stick-it-thos-255896

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

You know what I said the second I read the headline? "gently caress you."

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hoo boy. I mean, it's a new low at least. We've been hearing a lot on this topic for the last 5 years from conservatives because IMO it's practically the last thing their ideology is on the right side of (though they're often hypocrites even on this). Sad thing is that it will probably be his most profitable movie and pull him further in this direction theme-wise. Resentment business, pre-constituted audience, easy money.

He mentioned a "habits of extremely ineffective people" book to Drew that I thought could be pretty good if it were crafted a little and not just a frankenstein monster of podcast content.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 25, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Working with Dennis "You can't rape your wife because she has no grounds to stand on turning down sex EVER" Prager was a pretty low point for ol' Ace Rockolla, I'd say. It's the point where I hosed off from him and turned to O&A. Which, in retrospect, kinda a mistake when one of them is racist Long Island eye-talian gun nut woman-beating loving trash.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
If people contribute to this drat thing they're idiots. The last time was a nightmare. There were people posting whose packages they got via Twitter / Reddit and exchanging them by themselves. So many rewards were wrong. Even the in person meetings were like "Adam has a show in BFE so if you can meet him during this period between when he lands and when his show time is then you can have lunch". So weak.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He'll get the $500k because he's still got a group of diehard fans that will throw money at him. Plus I'm sure Prager has some fans too that would love this. These fans will ignore the fact that these are millionaires who could fund this themselves.

For a guy who hates handouts, he sure as gently caress loves asking for them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Adam could have been an icon for the left as a guy who came up knowing what it was like to truly be poor. Instead, he's become the type of rear end in a top hat he used to mock. He's dangerously close to being an objectivist, which I'm positive I remember him mocking (those of you with stronger knowledge of Loveline, feel free to correct me).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Adam could have been an icon for the left as a guy who came up knowing what it was like to truly be poor. Instead, he's become the type of rear end in a top hat he used to mock. He's dangerously close to being an objectivist, which I'm positive I remember him mocking (those of you with stronger knowledge of Loveline, feel free to correct me).

I don't think talking politics on either side works for him. He's at his funniest bitching about passion fruit iced tea and turning right on red.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

You know what I said the second I read the headline? "gently caress you."

Yeesh. Morbid curiosity has caused me to keep track of this thread and Carolla's goings-on way, WAY past giving up on his shows but this is where I tap out.

Mahalo.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Drew called him either a leftist or bleeding heart liberal on one of the shows from like 98 because adam supported like a needle exchange program or some poo poo and he answered in the affirmative so it's been a wild ride from that to what I can only assume will culminate to an appearance with Milo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
adam carolla sucks rear end

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

little munchkin posted:

adam carolla sucks rear end

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WEH posted:

Drew called him either a leftist or bleeding heart liberal on one of the shows from like 98 because adam supported like a needle exchange program or some poo poo and he answered in the affirmative so it's been a wild ride from that to what I can only assume will culminate to an appearance with Milo

He was for the morning after pill early on, he wanted free contraceptives, loved Planned Parenthood, and all sorts of other things. Heck, he had a weekly rant on Loveline about how religion is for idiots.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

He was for the morning after pill early on, he wanted free contraceptives, loved Planned Parenthood, and all sorts of other things. Heck, he had a weekly rant on Loveline about how religion is for idiots.

He's right wing because he's a rich guy. If he can find a way to lower his taxes he's all for it. In his brain, planned parenthood, free contraceptives, etc all end up costing him less money in the long run because there are less children he (lidderally a millionaire) pays for.

There's also the fact that nowadays, Adam is a contrarian. He's not a smart guy so here's how it works for him:

1. Something is newsworthy.
  2. Adam knows just enough to know what the general population thinks.
  3. Adam forms an illogical argument as to why the general population sucks and why he is right.

Did a police officer shoot someone on video with undeniable proof that they were in the wrong? Adam decides that no matter what, you should just comply with the police (even though he ignores red lights) and they must have done something to set the cop off. That's just how he works nowadays.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I recall a day when I was listening to an old loveline where he railed hard against cash advance places, how scummy they are and how they prey on poor people. Shortly thereafter I listened to a new Adam Carolla Podcast ep where he was doing a live read for one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WEH posted:

This is sad to me because safe injection sites are statistically proven to help people get clean. I'm glad Adam said it at the time, maybe it helped somebody see the light on the issue, but to see him change so radically is sad. Associating with Prager in particular loving disgusts me.

For me, the initial sign he'd given up on coming off as a lefty was when he ranted and raved and shouted down a teenager off the phone (and wouldn't let her get in a word edgewise) about why he, a well compensated man (not sure if he was a millionaire but he had to be doing well, because the Man Show was around and it was successful when he was there) should have to pay more in taxes then some schlub who makes like, 18,000 a year. The disconnect of a guy who used to share a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 people to make ends meet saying this was impressive. ZERO self-awareness.

Occasionally, I wonder if Jimmy's called him on any of this poo poo, because Jimmy seems kinda leftist these days. I know Sarah Silverman's basically bailed on him (given her political views, pretty unsurprising). It's funny, I think my respect for Jimmy has grown in roughly the same magnitude that my respect for Adam has dissipated. The time he roasted Leno for loving over Conan was great. Making fun of LPers was money. His speech about Obamacare pissed off all the right people. I feel like Kimmel does the best job of capturing Letterman's old spirit (although some of Chris Gethard's stuff is pretty inspired, like the Dumpster and P.Diddy episodes).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 26, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The ultimate schadenfreude about Adam Carolla is knowing that he's super resentful that Jimmy is way more successful than him. It must eat away at him. Good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is sad to me because safe injection sites are statistically proven to help people get clean. I'm glad Adam said it at the time, maybe it helped somebody see the light on the issue, but to see him change so radically is sad. Associating with Prager in particular loving disgusts me.

For me, the initial sign he'd given up on coming off as a lefty was when he ranted and raved and shouted down a teenager off the phone (and wouldn't let her get in a word edgewise) about why he, a well compensated man (not sure if he was a millionaire but he had to be doing well, because the Man Show was around and it was successful when he was there) should have to pay more in taxes then some schlub who makes like, 18,000 a year. The disconnect of a guy who used to share a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 people to make ends meet saying this was impressive. ZERO self-awareness.

Occasionally, I wonder if Jimmy's called him on any of this poo poo, because Jimmy seems kinda leftist these days. I know Sarah Silverman's basically bailed on him (given her political views, pretty unsurprising). It's funny, I think my respect for Jimmy has grown in roughly the same magnitude that my respect for Adam has dissipated. The time he roasted Leno for loving over Conan was great. Making fun of LPers was money. His speech about Obamacare pissed off all the right people. I feel like Kimmel does the best job of capturing Letterman's old spirit (although some of Chris Gethard's stuff is pretty inspired, like the Dumpster and P.Diddy episodes).

Silverman is a loving idiot, why do you think she bailed on Jimmy though? I would see him being close to her politically although Silverman strikes me as the type that calls anyone a sexist racist xenophobe the moment you disagree with her on anything politically from her recent antics on twitter :( she used to be strong as gently caress

WampaLord posted:

The ultimate schadenfreude about Adam Carolla is knowing that he's super resentful that Jimmy is way more successful than him. It must eat away at him. Good.

I don't think so, Jimmy's the whole reason Adam's not still digging ditches

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

beep by grandpa posted:

Silverman is a loving idiot, why do you think she bailed on Jimmy though? I would see him being close to her politically although Silverman strikes me as the type that calls anyone a sexist racist xenophobe the moment you disagree with her on anything politically from her recent antics on twitter :( she used to be strong as gently caress

I don't think she's an idiot so much as under-informed. Supporting Hillary at all in the primaries being an example of being exactly that. I have no doubt her heart is in the right place, but you can advance good while actually BEING good instead of being a complacent Democrat centrist. And I think he means Sarah bailed on ADAM by not doing his lovely podcast where he ranted endlessly for 97% of the air time. I dunno why she broke up with Kimmel.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea I think it definitely has more to do with the same thing a lot of former guest's problems with, "driving all the way to Adam's house to watch him yell for an hour."

Apoplexy posted:

I don't think she's an idiot so much as under-informed. Supporting Hillary at all in the primaries being an example of being exactly that.

:raise:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

All I can do is point to reality and say 'look what it (Hillary Clinton, in this case, if not the political mindset that produced her) got us'

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I can't find a way to make that smilie bigger

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Im pretty sure Adams a partner in Jimmys production company so he probably gets money from Jimmys success. Ive never heard any sign hes resentful of Jimmy anyway, I dont see where people get that.

Sarah LOL : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTvVUoCaS7w

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

JB50 posted:

Im pretty sure Adams a partner in Jimmys production company so he probably gets money from Jimmys success. Ive never heard any sign hes resentful of Jimmy anyway, I dont see where people get that.

Sarah LOL : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTvVUoCaS7w

People believe Adam has an inferiority complex because he's literally an inferior human being.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

She bailed on Adam is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. She pretty much publicly stated she didn't want to do podcasts or anything like that with him because he'd gotten unbearable, and he'd developed a bad habit of shouting down people who disagree with him. Which, regardless of what one thinks of Sarah, has kind of been an issue of Adam's for most of his career.

I will point out that I agree Sarah is more uniformed than flat out dumb. I feel that she earnestly believed there was little difference between Bernie and Hillary, and to be fair to her, she supported Bernie as well. I think for her, like a lot of people, either of them would have been a better choice than what the U.S. ended up with.

Apoplexy posted:

People believe Adam has an inferiority complex because he's literally an inferior human being.

That, and he's spent a large portion of his career whining about people above him on the food chain in Hollywood getting opportunities while he doesn't. He doesn't get that many of these people are proven box office draws with range and talent. Adam has one character: everyman who sees through society's bullshit. Like if he wants to bitch about DAG not getting a chance, okay, fine, because I do think DAG's underutilized. But Adam, as he likes to point out, is literally a millionaire. And he keeps whining like he's some great undiscovered talent who hasn't gotten a fair shake. I saw the Hammer, it's crap on a bun. I don't imagine any of his other movies are any better.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yea just btw Silverman was hardcore for Bernie in the primaries, not Clinton

Edit: this is not directed to the fine post above me but the others before it

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

beep by grandpa posted:

Yea just btw Silverman was hardcore for Bernie in the primaries, not Clinton

Edit: this is not directed to the fine post above me but the others before it

Oh, well, good on her. I just remember her thing with Franken trying to convince Bernie people to support Hillary, which was ill-conceived and condescending. This is coming from Franken fanboy #1 and someone who likes Sarah Silverman, too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you want to have a good time google Sarah Silverman swastika

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

If you want to have a good time google Sarah Silverman swastika

Haha elitest hollywood liberal out of touch with the working man. How could this happen?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This show is still going on. Wow, Adam's right, once you're a celebrity these things carry themselves.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

When I was listening years ago, Adam was obsessed with the Albert Brooks film "Defending Your Life", and called it a comedy masterpiece. I got around to watching it and it was fine for an early 1990s film but nothing special. Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep are likeable and some jokes are alright (although it has that odd early 1990s Japanese panic), but overall forgettable.

I dunno why Adam would be obsessed by it, the plot is predictable and there must be a hundred better comedies.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Adam is a man of simple tastes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
John Hiatt makes incredibly boring, lovely music.