Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Facts are good, but sometimes focusing too much on facts can distract from the narrative. As journalists, we have a responsibility to guide and shape society, and must exercise discretion on which facts we report and which we don't.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just people attacking them in the streets.

just something we're gonna have to get used to, you can't stop it really

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Gammatron 64 posted:

So, how long do you reckon it'll be until we'll wind up with either a Caliphate in Europe or Muslims getting rounded up and put into concentration camps?

once Erdogan deems he's made enough dough from EU protection money and decides to open Turkeys borders and kick out all the refugees

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

So, how long do you reckon it'll be until we'll wind up with either a Caliphate in Europe or Muslims getting rounded up and put into concentration camps?

15 years til, not the caliphate, but something along those lines as democracy begins to turn in their favor in different areas.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
e:nevermind

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This is all fake propaganda, right? Blown waaay out of proportion, right?

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

It has been shown time and time again that a huge portion of terrorists, Islamic and otherwise, are disaffected, middle-ish class, educated young men who respond to their own alienation by attaching to a battle to topple some perceived humiliation. The core of the terrorist is that he is using the "cause" as a stand-in for his own half-acknowledged inability to gain socially-acknowledged success.

American Muslims tend to be integrated and/or have their own healthy communities, in which somebody can exist without feeling like a nobody. Meanwhile, in France, you're often going to be treated as an outsider by everybody.

My two cents, farrrrt

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

15 years til, not the caliphate, but something along those lines as democracy begins to turn in their favor in different areas.

Isn't this already happening in ethnic ghettos in the UK?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

The anti-muslim BIGOTS are the ones supporting ISIS!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/24/reactions-to-manchester-bombing-show-how-anti-muslim-bigots-are-useful-idiots-for-isis/

I love when the media finds a new term it can latch onto

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm being facetious about a "caliphate" of course but I do believe at some point people are going to get fed up and start deporting immigrants en masse.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm being facetious about a "caliphate" of course but I do believe at some point people are going to get fed up and start deporting immigrants en masse.

First they'll need to elect leaders willing to do that and nobody is going to win campaigning on such a RACIST platform

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Lmao Brexit happened and FN made it into the finals in France. "Browns bad" gets you plenty of traction as it is.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

the trump tutelage posted:

Isn't this already happening in ethnic ghettos in the UK?

I don't know about the UK. I know in Crimea the muslims that immigrated there set up separate neighborhoods, schools, everything and just started growing those communities. Very quickly they were able to vote in their folks in local elections. But then Russia came in and said "lol, no.".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There is no hope, just move as far into the remote countryside as you can and hope that death finds you in your sleep before the caliphate takes over all while your leaders go "this is fine. dont be racist."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have Blue posted:

Lmao Brexit happened and FN made it into the finals in France. "Browns bad" gets you plenty of traction as it is.

So just a couple more years of attacks and the islamists are going to get that war they want?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pawl posted:

First they'll need to elect leaders willing to do that and nobody is going to win campaigning on such a RACIST platform

Yeaaahh I dunno about that, Le Pen didn't win but she did get a very large portion of the vote. Give it some time, have some more children blown up and girls raped and I think more and more people will stop caring about looking bad and go into survival mode.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pawl posted:

I think the reason integration has failed so horribly in many countries is because those countries don't instill a sense of national pride in immigrants. We should be telling people why western values are the best and instill pride in our migrants.

People want to move to the US because they want American values and view it as a land of opportunity, and when somebody wants to move to a country they are willing to integrate.

Refugees and migrants in Europe still view themselves as temporarily displaced citizens of their former countries. People coming from garbage fire countries in the middle east with the barbarous islam ideology rarely if ever integrate and feel like outcasts, leading to depression and drug abuse, which leads to feeling the need to absolve yourself of sins through suicide bombing martyrdom.

Western politicians, journalists, and educators think nationalism is inherently bad, and despise traditional Western values.

A huge proportion of terrorists are well-off and Western-educated.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nut to Butt posted:

Western politicians, journalists, and educators think nationalism is inherently bad, and despise traditional Western values.

A huge proportion of terrorists are well-off and Western-educated.

So you agree that the West is to blame for terrorism then

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
We're due for a financial crisis and AFAIK our governments won't be able to whip out the usual bag of tricks because our last recovery was built on a foundation of sand and those triage fixes became the new norm. If populism is simmering now then I don't think it'd take much to boil over if there was a major crash with the Orange Clown at the free world's helm.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
https://youtu.be/2EN82zVVQvM

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

just something we're gonna have to get used to, you can't stop it really
The only solution is to not allow racists into our country.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858ARtV4M9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFbuMILmnI

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

lol their enlightened fellow member nations would invade them with a peacekeeping force before that happened

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

spacetoaster posted:

So just a couple more years of attacks and the islamists are going to get that war they want?

Pretty much? No one's making great strides to stop it. The issue is that war won't be effectively targeted. Saudi, UAE, Turkey, and Pakistan all work to support fundamentalism behind the scenes and won't be touched because they're our "allies" or because Russia is propping them up. Sandpit v5.0 will be just as much of a boondoggle as any of our other excursions.

The ruthless answer is to glass the ME and put people in camps but uh...

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Surely this time ethnic cleansing would be a success. Not a complete failure and historic disgrace like every other time.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
We have the technology

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Agag posted:

Surely this time ethnic cleansing would be a success. Not a complete failure and historic disgrace like every other time.

Ah, now islam is an "ethnicity". :rolleyes:

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Fully automated luxury death camps

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

Historically, ethnic cleansing has been a pretty successful strategy for bringing a restive population under control. I mean, there's a reason it was Mohammad's favorite trick.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agag posted:

Sure sucks that North America never got colonized by white people.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Fog Tripper posted:

Ah, now islam is an "ethnicity". :rolleyes:

Ah, so you plan is to ask every immigrant from Syria or North Africa is they are a Muslim, and if they say "................................ uh................. no" you're just going to let them stay. Very enlightened, I support this.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

walgreenslatino posted:

lol their enlightened fellow member nations would invade them with a peacekeeping force before that happened

Well, I'm afraid Europe is going the way of Rome then, RIP

Agag posted:

You do realize that the most powerful country in the world was built on a history of genocide and slavery, right?

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm just saying that sometimes, the bad guys win. In fact, the bad guys usually win. Evil shall always triumph, because good is dumb.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 25, 2017

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Nerses IV posted:

Historically, ethnic cleansing has been a pretty successful strategy for bringing a restive population under control. I mean, there's a reason it was Mohammad's favorite trick.

The early Islamic conquests were based largely upon conversion and providing a less oppressive governance and taxation system than the Persian and Byzantine empires which it replaces. Modern examples of ethnic cleansing are all fairly dire. Rwanda, Nazi Germany, Armenia. Not only were they failures in that the targeted minorities are still here, the perpetrators are considered the scum of human civilization.

Except for the Nazis, who are loved by various online freaks.

spacetoaster posted:

Sure sucks that North America never got colonized by white people.

And yet the Native populations remain. Constitutionally protected, blocking our pipelines, plotting revenge.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

What history books have you been reading? Because seriously LOL.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Agag posted:

And yet the Native populations remain. Constitutionally protected, blocking our pipelines, plotting revenge.

Paging Snatch Duster to the thread

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Have Blue posted:

Fully automated luxury death camps

we should program rich people’s yachts to go out to the middle of the atlantic ocean and then go dead in the water with no communications or propulsion

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

we should program rich people’s yachts to go out to the middle of the atlantic ocean and then go dead in the water with no communications or propulsion

Same but cruise ships full of bourgeoisie

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

You do realize that the most powerful country in the world was built on a history of genocide and slavery, right?

And yet there are still blacks and natives in America, and the blacks aren't slaves anymore, and the most powerful country in the world can't win a war against hill people in the poorest countries on earth, and is reduced to mass-murdering children with toy planes while it tears itself apart socially and politically.

Pretty good run for a while there, though.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Actually just kill everyone ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Have Blue posted:

Actually just kill everyone ASAP

No, friend. Group hug.

• Locked thread