Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The brain is like skinny Pete. And the heart is Badger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

ALFbrot posted:

I don't know if he's going to poison him, so much as just replace the nitroglycerin with something useless. Without the nitro, Hector's heart problem will cause an ischemic stroke. You guys realize that the heart and brain are connected, right?

Your humors seem imbalanced.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait were people expecting poison? Poison would be obvious and defeat the whole purpose. Nacho's replacing the nitro pills with inert capsules so Hector will (according to plan) appear to die of natural causes.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Kinda like Fargo season 2

:aaaaa: that fits surprisingly well

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Or Gus thinks "cool, someone else poisoned Hector."

There is literally no way for Mike to get found out unless Gus talks to Nacho (who doesn't work for him) or Pryce.

Not gonna lie, I now really want a conversation between Gus and Pryce.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait were people expecting poison? Poison would be obvious and defeat the whole purpose. Nacho's replacing the nitro pills with inert capsules so Hector will (according to plan) appear to die of natural causes.

Yeah he's just giving him empty capsules or sugar or something inside of them I thought

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing that's both funny and aggravating to listen to is Pryce's consistent 'well, DUH' tone in his voice. Like, I get it; dude's in way over his head always, and never realizes it, and the actor plays it perfectly, but holy gently caress, I want to loving strangle him when I hear it.

Dude, don't assume you know more than Mike/Nacho/Saul/literally anyone you're dealing with, outside of your pharmacy.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I bet Nacho found the ricin cigarette that Jessie lost, I was wondering when they were going to wrap up that plotline

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing that's both funny and aggravating to listen to is Pryce's consistent 'well, DUH' tone in his voice. Like, I get it; dude's in way over his head always, and never realizes it, and the actor plays it perfectly, but holy gently caress, I want to loving strangle him when I hear it.

Dude, don't assume you know more than Mike/Nacho/Saul/literally anyone you're dealing with, outside of your pharmacy.

"Man, I used to be the back alley doctor for the Sopranos and now I'm bottom-feeding in New Mexico...I'm so much better than this place."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ah yes. I call it "the Janice effect" after Janice Soprano on The Sopranos; a character that plays exactly the role they are supposed to, and they do it very well, but Jesus are they loving annoying.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Oh god it would be hilarious

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh god it would be hilarious

"What kind of man goes to the police?"
"Well... I mean... they were really rare baseball cards. You might not follow baseball, but I'm sure you can understand that theft is theft, you know, and I don't appreciate getting robbed. Not only that, but they were worth hundreds of dollars. Maybe you have that kind of cash to throw around, but not everyone does. I don't understand why you don't get this."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

"Well... I mean... they were really rare baseball cards. You might not follow baseball, but I'm sure you can understand that theft is theft, you know, and I don't appreciate getting robbed. Not only that, but they were worth hundreds of dollars. Maybe you have that kind of cash to throw around, but not everyone does. I don't understand why you don't get this."
Those cards were actually worth five figures at least.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

vermin posted:

:aaaaa: that fits surprisingly well

Even have the Kitchen brothers. I would like to think the pitch for the season/that story arch was basically your description before getting coenized.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:goonsay: "Uhh, those cards were actually worth five figures at least. Jeez, c'mon."

Pryced that for you.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

About what I thought. Pryce gets 95% of the dialogue, but Gus's face would say the most.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Pryce and Nacho are basically the same in that their plans only work when they hire Gus to do all the hard parts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gus: "You are finished. No more cooking."
Pryce: "Or... what?
Gus: "What did you say to me?"
Pryce: "Well, like... what will you do to me if I refuse? I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but I don't think I like it."

EDIT: ^^^ Actually, Pryce is the hokey and dumb version of Walt, I find.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Pryce: "Well, like... what will you do to me if I refuse? I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but I don't think I like it."

Pryce: "Threatening people is illegal, and I don't think you want to be getting in trouble with the police mister."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Gus: "You are finished. No more cooking."
Pryce: "Or... what?

EDIT: ^^^ Actually, Pryce is the hokey and dumb version of Walt, I find.

"If you try to interfere, this becomes a much simpler matter. I will kill your wife. I will kill your son. I will kill your infant daughter."
"...I've never touched a girl so I obviously don't have a son or a daughter."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm rewatching this show after just getting done with a Breaking Bad marathon. Some observations:

- When Jesse and Walt are checking out Saul's place for the first time, Jesse tells Walt that he knows Saul through Emilio, his original cook partner in the pilot episode. Saul got Emilio out from certain legal trouble twice, the second time possibly being in the pilot where Emilio posted bail for the DEA raid. Krazy 8 recently mentioned in a BCS episode that he's "working with a young guy" or something along those lines, so there's a fair chance Emilio shows up on BCS.

- Krazy 8 himself is a DEA snitch, something I think I forget every time I watch BB again. Hank describes Krazy 8's rise to power as essentially "falling to the top" and escaping the misfortune that hits other dealers. Krazy 8 seems to be the guy in charge at the start of Breakning Bad and Tuco "moves in" to fill the void he leaves when he dies. This makes me wonder what happens to Nacho that takes him out of the picture altogether, since at the moment he's Krazy 8's boss.

- I'd misremembered the scene where Walt and Jesse are kidnapped by Gus as him being scared of Nacho. Upon rewatch he says that Walt and Jesse, who he thinks are the Cartel kidnapping, should be looking for "Ignacio" who did it instead of him; he asks if they're sent by somebody else (Maduro?) but the name didn't sound familiar and I didn't quite catch it. This could be related to whatever happens to Hector, but the timeline doesn't seem to fit that, we can probably assume Hector gets crippled closer to BCS' time period than Breaking Bad's.

- I was trying to figure out whether Saul has a prior relationship with Gus before the start of BB. He pulls up a pretty good description of Gus when Walt/Jesse run into distribution problems and I got an impression that Saul at least knows who Gus is, even if maybe he hadn't met him. But Saul also seems to think that Mike is his guy (and not Gus' guy) up until the tail end of BB season 3, and it seems like Gus' crew has their own lawyer in season 5, so it seems more likely that Saul and Gus haven't gotten involved before.

- The extent of Saul's involvement into Brock's poisoning is really unclear. At the start of season 5 Saul claims to have no knowledge that Walt intended to poison Brock, and that if he had he wouldn't have gone along with the plan. But I don't see how the plan would work without Saul giving Walt some information about Andrea and Brock. Walt saw Andrea and Brock at Jesse's house but he'd have no way of knowing where she lived; we see Saul visiting Andrea's hose to give her some of Jesse's money.

- When Saul introduces Walt/Jesse to Vamanos Pest Control he mentions that he's known those guys for about five years, or about the time period BCS is taking place in. So we're probably in for more BB cameos.

- Saul says a lot of whacky stuff about his personal life, the most notable being that his second wife slept with his stepdad. One of the comments that seemed a little more genuine to me was Saul visiting Skyler at the car wash. Saul's there to relay some business news, but has his car's getting washed he tells the guy washing his interior to really get the cushions. By explanation he tells Skyler that the "kiddies" get snot everywhere, it's real bad. No other evidence Saul may have kids on the side, but again we don't get any look at his personal life beyond what he tells us.

Thanks for reading, I'm sure this has all been posted before.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 25, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not just that, but the writing staff has already been through every single line of Saul dialogue from BB I assume numerous times, to ensure that nothing is missed.

Edit: I learned this from the podcast, of course. I also learned that the writers are a really great group of wonderful people.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Ew

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tfw you realize that the cop in Gremlins is Mike

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I choose to believe Gremlins and BCS occur in the same universe.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
lol, people are going to completely lose their heads if there's a todd cameo in better call saul

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

lol, people are going to completely lose their heads if there's a todd cameo in better call saul

if he's still looking like he did in Fargo then he'll be the anti-Huell

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just have Matt Damon play him

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Sagebrush posted:

Chuck seems to have always had a fondness for jackets with a shiny quality to them.

Yep, Lenny from Laverne and Shirley.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

- I'd misremembered the scene where Walt and Jesse are kidnapped by Gus as him being scared of Nacho. Upon rewatch he says that Walt and Jesse, who he thinks are the Cartel kidnapping, should be looking for "Ignacio" who did it instead of him; he asks if they're sent by somebody else (Maduro?) but the name didn't sound familiar and I didn't quite catch it. This could be related to whatever happens to Hector, but the timeline doesn't seem to fit that, we can probably assume Hector gets crippled closer to BCS' time period than Breaking Bad's.

According to Netflix subtitles, he says "Lalo didn't send you? No Lalo?" -- we've yet to meet him I guess.

The Ninth Layer posted:

- The extent of Saul's involvement into Brock's poisoning is really unclear. At the start of season 5 Saul claims to have no knowledge that Walt intended to poison Brock, and that if he had he wouldn't have gone along with the plan. But I don't see how the plan would work without Saul giving Walt some information about Andrea and Brock. Walt saw Andrea and Brock at Jesse's house but he'd have no way of knowing where she lived; we see Saul visiting Andrea's hose to give her some of Jesse's money.
I always figured since Walt's a teacher in the same city, he'd have some way of figuring out how to get information about a student. Walt poisoning Brock is all-around shaky though. I have a feeling it's one those things where we as an audience are meant to expect super genius Walt to have figured it out somehow, but we just didn't get to see it in motion this time.

The Ninth Layer posted:

- Saul says a lot of whacky stuff about his personal life, the most notable being that his second wife slept with his stepdad. One of the comments that seemed a little more genuine to me was Saul visiting Skyler at the car wash. Saul's there to relay some business news, but has his car's getting washed he tells the guy washing his interior to really get the cushions. By explanation he tells Skyler that the "kiddies" get snot everywhere, it's real bad. No other evidence Saul may have kids on the side, but again we don't get any look at his personal life beyond what he tells us.

Good writeup. I enjoyed it. I didn't remember the stuff about Saul mentioning "kiddies" and it sort of reminds me of Gus having kids' toys laying around his house when Walt came over for dinner. I mean, he could have had kids... I guess, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I always figured since Walt's a teacher in the same city, he'd have some way of figuring out how to get information about a student. Walt poisoning Brock is all-around shaky though. I have a feeling it's one those things where we as an audience are meant to expect super genius Walt to have figured it out somehow, but we just didn't get to see it in motion this time.

He's not Brock's teacher, and it would be a major FERPA violation to give out a student's information to someone who has no reason to need it.

It doesn't matter how he got the information. It's just supposed to make Walt seem more powerful and frightening.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

He's not Brock's teacher, and it would be a major FERPA violation to give out a student's information to someone who has no reason to need it.

It doesn't matter how he got the information. It's just supposed to make Walt seem more powerful and frightening.

That's what I said.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

He's also one the air traffic controllers in Airplane! The dude was in a surprising amount of comedies, not just Beverly Hills Cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEywGpIt0vw

QwertySanchez posted:

Chuck seems to have always had a fondness for jackets with a shiny quality to them.

Yep, Lenny from Laverne and Shirley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAhkANChdno

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think you're talking about the scene in To'hajiilee where Saul goes to the car wash to tell Walt that Huell is missing (after Jesse stole his car and drove it to Walt's house to burn the place down). "The kid" he's talking about is Jesse, and "booger powder" does not mean snot, but the crushed up meth that Jesse was snorting in his car. "The kid left so much booger powder in there my Caddy is a K9 unit's wet dream."

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm rewatching this show after just getting done with a Breaking Bad marathon. Some observations:

- When Jesse and Walt are checking out Saul's place for the first time, Jesse tells Walt that he knows Saul through Emilio, his original cook partner in the pilot episode. Saul got Emilio out from certain legal trouble twice, the second time possibly being in the pilot where Emilio posted bail for the DEA raid. Krazy 8 recently mentioned in a BCS episode that he's "working with a young guy" or something along those lines, so there's a fair chance Emilio shows up on BCS.

- Krazy 8 himself is a DEA snitch, something I think I forget every time I watch BB again. Hank describes Krazy 8's rise to power as essentially "falling to the top" and escaping the misfortune that hits other dealers. Krazy 8 seems to be the guy in charge at the start of Breakning Bad and Tuco "moves in" to fill the void he leaves when he dies. This makes me wonder what happens to Nacho that takes him out of the picture altogether, since at the moment he's Krazy 8's boss.

- I was trying to figure out whether Saul has a prior relationship with Gus before the start of BB. He pulls up a pretty good description of Gus when Walt/Jesse run into distribution problems and I got an impression that Saul at least knows who Gus is, even if maybe he hadn't met him. But Saul also seems to think that Mike is his guy (and not Gus' guy) up until the tail end of BB season 3, and it seems like Gus' crew has their own lawyer in season 5, so it seems more likely that Saul and Gus haven't gotten involved before.

- When Saul introduces Walt/Jesse to Vamanos Pest Control he mentions that he's known those guys for about five years, or about the time period BCS is taking place in. So we're probably in for more BB cameos.

Nacho is short for Ignacio.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Given the dialogue I'm pretty sure we'll at least meet a Lalo before the end.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Right, since we don't see how Walt poisoned Brock we have no real way of knowing just how involved Saul was (or whether he should have known better). I was just thinking about it from the point of view of Saul's morality. He doesn't have too many outward scruples; Walt poisoning Brock is one of the few times I can remember him expressing (genuine) moral outrage.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think you're talking about the scene in To'hajiilee where Saul goes to the car wash to tell Walt that Huell is missing (after Jesse stole his car and drove it to Walt's house to burn the place down). "The kid" he's talking about is Jesse, and "booger powder" does not mean snot, but the crushed up meth that Jesse was snorting in his car. "The kid left so much booger powder in there my Caddy is a K9 unit's wet dream."

Okay this makes more sense, I'd missed (or forgotten) that Jesse had stolen Saul's car.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2017

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I still can't get past Gus' little: "I know you were all scared yesterday, but don't worry, those guys were just Mexican mafia! And I didn't pay them! So don't worry!"

Every single one of those kids is going to talk to the cops. It better come up next episode.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Last Chance posted:

Walt poisoning Brock is all-around shaky though. I have a feeling it's one those things where we as an audience are meant to expect super genius Walt to have figured it out somehow, but we just didn't get to see it in motion this time.

Yeah, the whole Ricin plot was a big stumbling block for me back when BB first aired. Even if we assume that Walt found out who Brock and Adrea were and where they lived through Facebook or a PI or something, I just can't see any way for Walt to get a kid he doesn't know to eat something without anyone else noticing, or at the very least Brock saying something to Andrea about it.

The only remotely plausible scenario is that Saul gave some poisoned candy or something to Brock, but that raises a bunch of other questions. I have a really hard time imagining Saul agreeing to be part of a plan like that without getting very specific answers to some very important questions. And if Saul did know the details, that means that not only did he lie to Jesse later, but that he was willing to risk the consequences of getting caught poisoning a child for, what, exactly? Walt couldn't even offer Saul a bunch of money, because he was pretty close to broke at the time.

This and the plane crash felt like moments where the writers tried a little too hard to be clever at the expense of having the story hold together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

Emilio is Krazy-8's cousin.

• Locked thread