Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The thing about NATO is, it's actually a valid complaint that some countries aren't spending the amount specified in the treaty on their own defense, but Trump's complaint and the way he's going about it is completely moronic and counterproductive. We should be asking these countries why they're having trouble getting there and what kind of help they need to get there and if there's anything we can do tradewise it military-wise to help them meet those goals, not threatening that we'll just out of NATO.

I'm Dutch and every US president since the end of the Cold War has complained about NATO defense spending, which is understandable, but those same presidents also realize that their involvement in NATO 'buys' them huge influence within the EU, to the point that you could argue it's a loose vassalization structure of the USA. The US invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan was hugely unpopular within the EU but its politicians still felt compelled to help the US out, even if it was clearly to their electoral detriment. Trump is insanely unpopular in the EU, even among the far right. The only reason EU politicians 'tolerate' him is because it's clearly in their interests to do so.

Ofcourse Trump doesn't understand any of this so he'll continue to make impotent threats about NATO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

war eagle

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The thing about NATO is, it's actually a valid complaint that some countries aren't spending the amount specified in the treaty on their own defense, but Trump's complaint and the way he's going about it is completely moronic and counterproductive. We should be asking these countries why they're having trouble getting there and what kind of help they need to get there and if there's anything we can do tradewise it military-wise to help them meet those goals, not threatening that we'll just out of NATO.

You hire a slumlord to run negotiations, and he's gonna negotiate like a slumlord

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You are assuming that they can't afford it. Very rich countries like Germany aren't meeting treaty obligations, probably because they know they don't have to because the USA will handle it. It's a legit gripe that Trump has of course hosed up be acting like it's a protection racket.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Honestly, I'm not sure. I could see it going either way at the high court.

Usually the feds can only charge you with a crime for this sort of thing if you attack a federal agent, like the FBI or a marshal. If you attack a local sworn officer, the feds have no jurisdiction its a state or local crime. What congress is trying to do is argue that since they give grant money to that police department, even though they are not federal agents they have an interest in that cop's safety so if you attack them its now a federal crime, too. I don't know if that holds up or not.

Its a poo poo law either way, obviously. Its a necessary step to creating a national fascist state where the cops no longer have to worry too much about what happens if they beat the hell out of a random citizen, as long as they were arguably doing something illegal, its all good get out that club and swing away..

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

highme posted:

war eagle

go vandals

Edit: These cop killer hate crime laws seem redundant in my opinion. Murder a law enforcement agent and you're getting every resource the agency has to throw your rear end in prison for ever as is.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Think about how much Trump and his Republicans wanted Gorsuch and you'll figure out the answer.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Mustached Demon posted:

go vandals

Edit: These cop killer hate crime laws seem redundant in my opinion. Murder a law enforcement agent and you're getting every resource the agency has to throw your rear end in prison for ever as is.

It's a reaction to the realization by the far-left antifa types that ICE are literal gestapo nazis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Uglycat posted:

It's a reaction to the realization by the far-left antifa types that ICE are literal gestapo nazis.

I don't have to be AntiFa to realize that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/867758571882258432
https://twitter.com/LissandraVilla/status/867743713518333952
https://twitter.com/MCJalonick/status/867750282276605953
https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/867761100607172608
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867761183016853506

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure. I could see it going either way at the high court.

Usually the feds can only charge you with a crime for this sort of thing if you attack a federal agent, like the FBI or a marshal. If you attack a local sworn officer, the feds have no jurisdiction its a state or local crime. What congress is trying to do is argue that since they give grant money to that police department, even though they are not federal agents they have an interest in that cop's safety so if you attack them its now a federal crime, too. I don't know if that holds up or not.

Its a poo poo law either way, obviously. Its a necessary step to creating a national fascist state where the cops no longer have to worry too much about what happens if they beat the hell out of a random citizen, as long as they were arguably doing something illegal, its all good get out that club and swing away..

I wanna see this law get passed and then there be a cop-cop brawl at a bar or something stupid.

LEOs are already protected by the same laws against assault/homicide that the rest of us are protected by.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TGLT posted:

Yeah, because Trump and his people have shown real foresight about these kinds of things in the past. They leaked because everything there leaks. It's probably a safer bet that some individual either did it because that's what they do now, or they did it because they think ISLAMIC TERROR helps them and they couldn't wait for the Brits to move forward.

Counterpoint: Many of Trump's administration are just the types to think up of such a brilliant plan.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Incredible.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Uglycat posted:

Yeah the suing part makes perfect sense from the perspective of that little elf and his nazi pals.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He really is a complete poo poo.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Honest question but how do we actually recover from Trump wether or not he's impeached? We have entire federal departments like State with no one in it because the president and his lackeys didn't even know it was a thing that existed, an administration that literally cannot function or do basic math yet we have a sizeable portion of our population following behind them lock step. Whats to stop this from becoming the new norm, just electing people on who makes the other side madder and promises the most insane poo poo without anything behind it? Our president likely got elected with the help of a hostile foreign power and instead of people getting angry you have a portion thinking Putin is pretty neat-o now

Trump is a signal to the right wing that they can drop all their facades and still get power because their base has been trained so well. We have a GOP member running for office who literally beat up a reporter for asking about his stance on policies and the GOP doesn't even acknowldge it as a problem because they know they don't have to anymore at this point. Their base will think of reasons why the reporter deserved it and cheer them on

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a loving pile of poo poo. Jesus.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Christ, it's like we elected Bender Rodriguez President.

Trump 2020: Hey, Sexy Mama, Wanna Kill All Humans...?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Did they just end it there or did they hold his feet to the fire and make him define when a reporter "deserves it".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alter Ego posted:

Christ, it's like we elected Bender Rodriguez President.

Trump 2020: Hey, Sexy Mama, Wanna Kill All Humans...?

We elected the kid from It's A Good Life.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nerox posted:

Did they just end it there or did they hold his feet to the fire and make him define when a reporter "deserves it".

https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/867763252519985153

C'mon and slam (welcome to Trump Land)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Honest question but how do we actually recover from Trump wether or not he's impeached? We have entire federal departments like State with no one in it because the president and his lackeys didn't even know it was a thing that existed, an administration that literally cannot function or do basic math yet we have a sizeable portion of our population following behind them lock step. Whats to stop this from becoming the new norm, just electing people on who makes the other side madder and promises the most insane poo poo without anything behind it? Our president likely got elected with the help of a hostile foreign power and instead of people getting angry you have a portion thinking Putin is pretty neat-o now

Trump is a signal to the right wing that they can drop all their facades and still get power because their base has been trained so well. We have a GOP member running for office who literally beat up a reporter for asking about his stance on policies and the GOP doesn't even acknowldge it as a problem because they know they don't have to anymore at this point. Their base will think of reasons why the reporter deserved it and cheer them on

We just have to keep pushing back and hope things aren't truly that far gone. This is the greatest test of our nation in many years.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

NikkolasKing posted:

I am equally bewildered by all this. My time in the Libertarian thread and reading some writings from a delightful fellow named Hans Herman Hoppe only made it all the more puzzling.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/09/hans-hermann-hoppe/smack-down/

He also wrote a book extolling the greatness of monarchy and how it actually let us be more free than we are now.

I can only conclude these people are insane. That's the only answer I have. I understand the appeal of Libertarianism. I understand the appeal of Authoritarianism. I cannot understand how anyone can support both.
Most people adopt libertarianism as a means to some philosophical end. For a not-insignificant portion of them, that end is maintaining white supremacy, which means the federal government is only a conditional enemy. They used libertarian arguments to try and remove the government as an obstacle because they thought it was the best they could do. Then at some point it occurs to them "why settle for that when the state can actively aid me?"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The total and indiscriminate annihilation of the GOP's voting demographics. Fresh out of ideas after that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

But what if the questions are hard and they make your think box feel bad? :cry:

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot

I gotta feeling Chuck Todd will be just fine with Greg's behavior. Jeremy Scahill said Todd once shoved him backstage on Real Time with Bill Maher because he "embarrased" him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is that the first GOP guy to actually say 'No this is bullshit don't attack reporters'?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Trump's got his pretext, y'all

Following the release of crime scene photos from the Manchester concert bombing, President Trump has asked for "a complete review" of leaks from U.S. government agencies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a634_story.html

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Truancy-Bot posted:

I gotta feeling Chuck Todd will be just fine with Greg's behavior. Jeremy Scahill said Todd once shoved him backstage on Real Time with Bill Maher because he "embarrased" him.

He cancelled his appearance.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

America First!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SCOTUS Steat stealing fraud Ben Sasse needs to shut up about "civics."

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Tayter Swift posted:

Following the release of crime scene photos from the Manchester concert bombing, President Trump has asked for "a complete review" of leaks from U.S. government agencies.

Can't wait to read the leaks from this investigation

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EwokEntourage posted:

Can't wait to read the leaks from this investigation

Yeah, nothing's going to stop the leaking. The leaking is happening because people hate the administration.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beaten

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

SCOTUS Steat stealing fraud Ben Sasse needs to shut up about "civics."

No actually he should call this out and ALSO the other thing

I'd rather him be wrong on one than on both

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Tayter Swift posted:

I can't wait for this to inevitably reveal a Trump surrogate passed this particular leaked info to the NYT.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I feel very strongly that whoever leaked the Manchester stuff is not the same kind of person who leaks about how poo poo Trump is.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Why is this even a question? Trump all but Gianforte'd the guy.

(Hm. That's a bit awkward. Let's just call it a Montana Handshake from now on.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tir McDohl posted:

I feel very strongly that whoever leaked the Manchester stuff is not the same kind of person who leaks about how poo poo Trump is.

I think it's more probably just a function of how there's no morale and no actual leadership in the white house. Whole place is going to leak like a sieve about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Hasn't he already done this like 3 times? The leaks aren't fundamentally a result of simple security flaws, they're a result of an administration comprised of a multitude of bumbling and unfriendly factions

• Locked thread