Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sean10mm posted:

That's like Suh tier face chubbiness. :btroll:

I bet Suh has lower bf% lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Reacting to that Benjamin picture like the fat gang guys when Weird Al gets hefty

Ding dong man, ding dong.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

That's my coach, that is.

Jim Caldwell posted:

"I’m an old-school guy — don’t make any mistake about that. It’s kind of the way of the world these days,’’ said Caldwell who admits at times he’s been oblivious to the celebrations.

And then he went into story-telling mode.

“I was sitting down with my grandsons early on when they were very small and they were kind of going through the video games. And I watched the video games and the guy would make a tackle, or make a sack or whatever and he’d get up and on the video game he’s doing all these different sort of gyrations and all these different kind of things,’’ Caldwell said. “He’s moving around and I’m saying, ‘That’s unrealistic. They don’t do that.’ And then I thought about it and I started just kind of watching after the play and it was true to life. Obviously, they do a lot of those things. I just think that’s kind of the way things are these days, so it’s fine.”

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I had an idea. Why not bring back the veterans combine but have it happen around week 5? Players start getting injured and your team finds out their depth sucks.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hahahahahaha :vince: I am loving dead!

I loving love you guys.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 25, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shangri-Law School posted:

That's my coach, that is.

The story of this article is that Jim Caldwell speaks like Perd Hapley.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

quote:

Breakfast was two scrambled eggs, plain oatmeal made with water, two pieces of fruit, and milk and water. Lunch brought turkey sandwiches (provolone cheese but no condiments), 15 baby carrots, a banana, water and milk. Dinner was cooked chicken breast, spinach without dressing, whole wheat pasta with no sauce, and more milk and water.

Counter to fat Benjamin here's Cody Kessler's diet. I love my plain oatmeal QB.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Counter to fat Benjamin here's Cody Kessler's diet. I love my plain oatmeal QB.

Breakfast was a dozen scrambled eggs, raisin oatmeal made with whole milk, two pieces of fruitcake, and Mountain Dew and Pepsi. Lunch brought turkey sandwiches (provolone cheese with multiple condiments), 15 baby Snickers, a banana-split, Coke and milk. Dinner was fried chicken breast, spinach with dressing, whole wheat pasta with alfredo sauce, and more candy and snacks.

This was Benji's.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is peak NFC East and I loving love it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Speaking of, oh man I got to hear the spiciest take this morning about how players who don't show up for voluntary workouts think they're bigger than the game and don't respect it and god the flowery language about how sacred and holy the game of football is and how lucky these guys should feel to get to play it was just amazing.

Apparently players think of themselves as corporations and are trying to get the best deal for themselves and this is SO VERY WRONG for reasons

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
ESPN has an intriguing article about Richard Sherman that's basically stating what I expected would happen after SB49 (at work so I can't link it). The defense in general seems to have a weird dynamic going on, according to the article, that I hope the team can try to fix in some way. Gonna be a long season otherwise.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19446657/seattle-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

quote:

And so, a few plays later, when Sherman picked off Wilson, it wasn't enough just to make a great play. He wanted to get inside Wilson's head, to remind the young Pro Bowler that despite his Super Bowl fame -- and endorsements that many on the defense felt they deserved -- Sherman still owned his rear end.

According to witnesses, Sherman threw the ball back to Wilson and yelled, "You f---ing suck!" Another fight broke out. Sherman was cussing and yelling; Wilson seemed stunned. Pete Carroll stopped practice and would later hold a series of meetings to remind the players they needed to build each other up, not tear each other down -- and that they needed to support their quarterback, further pissing off a defense that already thought the head coach went out of his way to protect him.

quote:

If the hardest thing in football is to manage the celebrity that attends a Super Bowl win, the next-hardest thing is to forget a catastrophic Super Bowl loss. Something complicated and vital to the chemistry of a great team was broken on that interception. According to interviews with numerous current and former Seahawks players, coaches and staffers, few have taken it harder than Richard Sherman. He has told teammates and friends that he believes the Seahawks should have won multiple Super Bowls by now. And with just one trophy and the window closing fast, he has placed responsibility for that failing on the two faces of the franchise: Wilson and Carroll. Sherman, who like Wilson declined comment for this story, thinks Carroll hasn't held Wilson or many young Seahawks to the defense's championship standard. He's been disillusioned not only by that single play more than two years earlier but also by his coach's and quarterback's response to it.

quote:

Tension flared at strange times last season, blowing little issues into big ones. One day, Sherman walked into a team meeting and found rookie guard Germain Ifedi sitting at a desk. That's a no-no. Rookies sit on the floor; veterans get the desks. Sherman lorded over him, but Ifedi did what Sherman might have done as a rookie: He stayed at the desk.

Finally, Sherman broke: "Get up." Ifedi stood up and knocked over the desk, tossing it aside. The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Ifedi stared at the 6-3, 195-pound Sherman as if ready to throw down. Ifedi eventually stepped aside, but Sherman later told friends that he saw the incident as emblematic of a bigger problem. The offense, led by Wilson, was in the midst of a season in which it would score fewer than 13 points five times, but the only players being held to the lofty standard created by the defense were the members of it.

quote:

Sherman has always been a man of extremes, of loud arrogance and quiet desperation, who plays as if his self-worth were at stake. It's how a skinny kid from Compton who shied away from contact in youth football willed himself to Stanford and became one of the most physical corners in football history. He's famous in the building both for being a teammate you can go to with any personal problem and for pointing fingers.

"He's always looking at what other people are doing," says a former assistant coach who has had many talks with him. "He's made it personal. It's your fault we're not winning. It wears guys thin."

quote:

But all the resentment towards Wilson was manageable -- until the 1-yard line. The Butler interception gave it a life of its own. Carroll hosts "Tell the Truth Monday" during the season, when he breaks down film. Some Seahawks joke that it should be renamed "Tell the Truth to Certain People," because Wilson seems exempt from criticism. For as great as Wilson has played at times, for as well as he serves as the face of the franchise, for as tough as he is -- last season he played through a sprained MCL, a high ankle sprain and a strained pectoral on his throwing side -- only twice in his five years have the Seahawks finished in the top 10 in points scored. Sherman and the defense know the difference between very good quarterbacks and great ones. They see how Wilson, only 5-11, struggles to anticipate open windows; they see the offensive staff breaking down film of the Saints' offense to figure out ways to deploy tight end Jimmy Graham, an All-Pro in New Orleans and a highly paid, ineffective red zone weapon in Seattle. It galls the defense to hear Wilson, ever positive, stand behind a podium and insist that the offense "made some great plays" after games in which the Seahawks barely score -- and then be propped up as if he were Aaron Rodgers.

"Guys want Pete to call out Russ in front of the team," Smith says. "That's not what Pete does. Pete will single out a guy, but he does it the right way."

Full article is really worth reading.

Starting to wonder about the Seahawks' internal dynamics and whatever happened with Golden Tate, Percy Harvin, and Marshawn Lynch, and other players who've recently left the team on bad terms.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also from that article:

quote:

When Carroll was a quarterback at Redwood High in Larkspur, California, his coach, the late Bob Troppmann -- Coach T, Carroll calls him -- ordered him to run the ball late in the fourth quarter of a game seemingly in hand. Carroll instead called a pass, which, you guessed it, was intercepted.

:laugh:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Intruder posted:

Speaking of, oh man I got to hear the spiciest take this morning about how players who don't show up for voluntary workouts think they're bigger than the game and don't respect it and god the flowery language about how sacred and holy the game of football is and how lucky these guys should feel to get to play it was just amazing.

Apparently players think of themselves as corporations and are trying to get the best deal for themselves and this is SO VERY WRONG for reasons

it's okay that OBJ is missing OTAs, most star players skip OTAs unless you are some cornball like Joe Thomas, the real issue is who he is dating, and why he doesn't have better standards for himself as a famous handsome athlete living in NYC

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

it's okay that OBJ is missing OTAs, most star players skip OTAs unless you are some cornball like Joe Thomas, the real issue is who he is dating, and why he doesn't have better standards for himself as a famous handsome athlete living in NYC

Well in this case they were talking about Duane Brown skipping OTAs

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm laughing my rear end off at Sherman yelling down into Wilson's face while Wilson holds back tears

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A goon complaining about standards in beards, now I've seen it all

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SKULL.GIF posted:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19446657/seattle-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

Full article is really worth reading.

Starting to wonder about the Seahawks' internal dynamics and whatever happened with Golden Tate, Percy Harvin, and Marshawn Lynch, and other players who've recently left the team on bad terms.

I wonder where LWB is with the rebuttal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jonathan Fisk posted:

A goon complaining about standards in beards, now I've seen it all

Rodgers' beards are excellent and he spends most of his time in Green Bay; surely OBJ can do even better while living in NYC?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I feel like the pats won twice that year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone post the Richard Sherman heartbreak gif

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Imagine how much less drama teams would have if lovely coaches got fired and weren't kept around by their buddies.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Being a player friendly coach never seems to work in the long term. Especially when you run into adversity and have to hold guys acountable.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Being a player friendly coach never seems to work in the long term. Especially when you run into adversity and have to hold guys acountable.

Gary Kubiak and Dick Vermeil have both won Superbowls :colbert:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That article makes the Seahawks defense sound like it's one bad sack away from string up Ifedi Lord of the Flies style.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rodgers' beards are excellent and he spends most of his time in Green Bay; surely OBJ can do even better while living in NYC?

well, maybe he's just a butt guy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Intruder posted:

That part's true but definitely not for the reasons this guy said I bet

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

Gary Kubiak and Dick Vermeil have both won Superbowls :colbert:

I suppose, but Kubiak won a Super Bowl his first season, and Vermeil his third. Both were gone shortly after. So it may not conflict with my theory that in the long run player friendly coaches lose control of their teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I suppose, but Kubiak won a Super Bowl his first season, and Vermeil his third. Both were gone shortly after. So it may not conflict with my theory that in the long run player friendly coaches lose control of their teams.

Kubiak retired for health reasons

Nov 6, 2002

Yes I know. And Vermeil retired (briefly).

That was my point. Both had immediate success with their teams and then left. So who knows what might have happened if they stuck around. Maybe it would turn out like Seattle with Carroll. Maybe not.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I can't wait for Kaep to be clearly playing better than Wilson but still being benched every game because Carrol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

Wilson required guests to sign nondisclosure agreements before entering his box at Mariners games.

What sodom and gomorrah poo poo are you getting up to at Mariner's games Russell?

Nov 6, 2002

He gets defragged after every inning.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

(It's because this person is jealous as hell fyi)

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

The NFL's first Doublewide Receiver.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/867807905571102723

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867808695077527553

Glennon's year has arrived

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Everyone please close your eyes and picture Mike Glennon salsa dancing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bears are really going to suck again.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
victor cruz literally can't get separation anymore so he's a great fit for the bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Chad_Scott13/status/867547286989004800

• Locked thread