Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got two Approaches last night and had to mull to five in the first game and six in the second, getting horribly mana screwed in both. I had to use both my Nagas in the second game to dig to find lands instead of using them to find an Approach. This is the second time I've had two and gotten mana screwed like that, maybe it's a sign that I wasn't meant to have fun. :(

Elyv posted:

(Ramos was a robot dragon on Mercadia and there was a cycle of mana rocks in Masques referring to him)

That's an incredible commander in general, Dragon theme aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Post your draft & sealed league decks / pools

Don't take this wrong but judging your from your above comments it sounds like you're sort of durdling around and trying to assemble a number of pieces while your opponents are just curving out and killing you. Ultimately for most drafters playing cards that affect the board state is where you want to be versus digging through your deck.

Amonkhet draft is a pretty aggressive format so messing around with enchantments / synergistic builds frequently will result in you getting rolled horribly unless you can mitigate the initial pressure. Some mtg pros are even prioritizing 2 drops and 3 drops and curving out over good 4 & 5 drops.

I'll try to remember the draft deck, and I'll post the sealed deck when I get a chance Friday.

2x Fan Bearer
2x Cartouche of Ambition
1x Those Who Serve
1x Approach of the Second Sun
1x Mighty Leap
1x Festering Mummy
4x Soulstinger
2x Nest of Scarabs
1x Final Reward
1x Doomed Dissenter
1x Dune Beetle
1x Stir the Sands
1x Splendid Agony
17 land

I can't remember the other 4 cards.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Star Man posted:

welp

Please make a Merfolk deck Wizards kthx

You think the Merfolk deck is cool until someone resolves an Elesh Norn when you've got no counters and everything on your board dies and everything you can play would die instantly. That's when I just decided merfolk aren't good for EDH.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

You have nowhere near enough enablers for your Nests

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Star Man posted:

welp

Please make a Merfolk deck Wizards kthx

Wizards of the Coast posted:

You said make a Wizards deck, you got it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

I'll try to remember the draft deck, and I'll post the sealed deck when I get a chance Friday.

2x Fan Bearer
2x Cartouche of Ambition
1x Those Who Serve
1x Approach of the Second Sun
1x Mighty Leap
1x Festering Mummy
4x Soulstinger
2x Nest of Scarabs
1x Final Reward
1x Doomed Dissenter
1x Dune Beetle
1x Stir the Sands
1x Splendid Agony
17 land

I can't remember the other 4 cards.

Lone Goat posted:

You have nowhere near enough enablers for your Nests

Also I feel like you have no realistic way to win the game other than Approach and you don't have the card advantage and removal to make Approach work. It's difficult for you to attack into a 3/3 or to block a 5/5, and you're going to have problems with fliers.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Shadow225 posted:

Man I just do not understand limited.

I know that with practice comes skill or whatever, but It also feels really bad to pay 13 to practice.

There just isn't any easy shortcut from scrub to guru short of putting in tons of reps, but doing the following can help improve your rate of improvement:

1. Listen to Limited Resources every week. Over time, you'll absorb a lot of knowledge.
2. Talk to the other players you draft with. Show them your pool and ask if they'd make any changes to your deck. Ask them what picks they might have made differently during the draft and why.
3. Draft in a friendly environment. If you're paying $13 to scrub out 8-4s on MTGO, where you can't even chat w/ the other players, it's going to be an expensive and sad process. If you're paying $13 to draft at FNM weekly and getting to know your local crowd/making friends, at least you have more opportunities to have fun/enjoy yourself even if you're not cashing out.
4. Watch good drafters draft online. Listen to what they say about their picks/plays. If you tune into live streams, ask in chat why they make any picks/plays that you don't think you'd have made.
5. Have patience and understand it's a long haul. I got back into magic 2-3 years ago, and have played mostly limited that whole time, mostly once a week FNM drafts. I've gone from being a scrub to what I'd consider "decent" in that time. By that I mean I can top-8 at FNM more often than not, usually go at least 3-1 at Prereleases, and other people at my store will occasionally ask my opinion on picks/plays/card evaluations. I don't play online and I wouldn't like my odds in an 8-4, and I don't think I have a shot at making Day 2 of a GP anytime soon.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Actually a barely-competent magic player can make day 2 of a limited GP. I know, I've done it :smugdog:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Man I just do not understand limited.

Just adding to the advice.

Try really hard to draft live. Most FLGS drafts are way softer than mtgo, and people will often have advise between rounds (it makes regulars feel important to be asked). Another big point LSV has made is if you are practicing to get better, make sure you are playing all three rounds of your draft. a 2-1 deck can go L-W-W just as easily as W-W-L.

I also like to keep a log of games when I am actually trying to improve. This causes you to be realistic about how you are doing, makes you reflect on the game or games you have just played, and then you can see yourself get better.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elyv posted:

Also I feel like you have no realistic way to win the game other than Approach and you don't have the card advantage and removal to make Approach work. It's difficult for you to attack into a 3/3 or to block a 5/5, and you're going to have problems with fliers.
This right here, I like Approach but keep in mind you have to get to the point of actually casting it twice.

St0rmD posted:

There just isn't any easy shortcut from scrub to guru short of putting in tons of reps, but doing the following can help improve your rate of improvement:
These steps are a great way to start improving. I was going to do a big write up but Storm said everything already better than I. Specifically watching the draft portion and deck building portion of the available draft videos will help a lot. CFB video makers usually do a great job of outlining cards that are good in the pack and talking about their picks.

SoftNum posted:

Try really hard to draft live. Most FLGS drafts are way softer than mtgo, and people will often have advise between rounds (it makes regulars feel important to be asked).
People that are good at limited love to talk about limited. Asking for help with your sealed deck / pool is a great way to get insight. For drafting it is a bit harder but having someone take a look at your deck after you've played they can maybe help indicate cards that you should've not picked etc.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Actually a barely-competent magic player can make day 2 of a limited GP. I know, I've done it :smugdog:

I guess it would depend on how good I was at opening a bomb-rear end pool that day.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, I appreciate the feedback. I do have a question about the deck specifically: how many enablers do I need for a Nest of Scarabs deck to function? I'm never going to draft it again, but is 8 not enough? 4 Soulstingers, 1 Decimator Beetle, 2 Cartouches, 1 Splendid Agony, and I partially count the Festering Zombie? I could have picked up a BR Minotaur and 1-2 more festering zombies, but I snatched pretty much every other -1/-1 card that I saw. If that isn't enough enablers, what does the archetype realistically look like in draft?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

xanthan posted:

Looking at the Wiki, That Which Was Taken was his daughter but he wanted to eat her to make her part of him again. So I guess the source of his divinity became a being in its own right after being taken out?

Magic lore is weird.

it's not like its that out of line for real mythology

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

OgreNoah posted:

You think the Merfolk deck is cool until someone resolves an Elesh Norn when you've got no counters and everything on your board dies and everything you can play would die instantly. That's when I just decided merfolk aren't good for EDH.

I just wanted Lord of Atlantis and Cursecatcher reprints. Cursecatcher might get a reprint in a wizards deck since it is a Merfolk Wizard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Travis woo has a plan to win sealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJg93-WEJc

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think it's high time for brushwaggs to return

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Not much has changed:

quote:

Rubens Edgard Navarro 1 day ago
hey Travis, you was riding a horse while recording this cut ?
LOL
Travis Wizard 1 day ago
loving a horse

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

Alright, I appreciate the feedback. I do have a question about the deck specifically: how many enablers do I need for a Nest of Scarabs deck to function? I'm never going to draft it again, but is 8 not enough? 4 Soulstingers, 1 Decimator Beetle, 2 Cartouches, 1 Splendid Agony, and I partially count the Festering Zombie? I could have picked up a BR Minotaur and 1-2 more festering zombies, but I snatched pretty much every other -1/-1 card that I saw. If that isn't enough enablers, what does the archetype realistically look like in draft?

Well, realistically in draft, that archetype would be in BG, not BW.

Nest of Scarabs is not really the best payoff for the archetype. It's not bad, but the real payoffs you want to pull you into this deck are bomb rares like Hapatra or Archfiend of Ifnir, and a Decimator Beetle or two (btw, your list said Dune Beetle, not Decimator Beetle). You also want to grab some of the awesome Green cards like Crocodile of the Crossing, Exemplar of Strength, Ornery Kudu, Channeler Initiate, Defiant Greatmaw, Stinging Shot and Shed Weakness. When you're going deep and trying to make Nest pay off, you probably want at least 12 cards that put -1/-1 counters on things, and you probably want more of those to be repeatable. (Soulstinger gets to do it twice, but has to die, Decimator Beetle or Archfiend get to do it TONS). None of your white cards are going to help you exploit Nest. If you were in Green, it's not unrealistic for almost ALL your cards to support this theme.

Maybe this article will help you: https://spellsnare.com/2017/05/12/how-to-draft-amonkhet-gb/

Edit: as others have said, the other thing to know about this deck is that even if you "get there", you've got merely an "ok" deck, it's never going to be insane (although some of the individual cards can be insane, and you can win you games on their own).

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 25, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The problem with Nest of Scarabs is that it doesn't do anything by itself and it's actually not amazing even if you do make some dudes because you need things to do with the 1/1s.

E: as a rule of thumb for limited I recommend basically taking good cards and making sure you have a decent curve; synergies are secondary, at least when starting out

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elyv posted:

E: as a rule of thumb for limited I recommend basically taking good cards and making sure you have a decent curve; synergies are secondary, at least when starting out

Speaking as another mediocre drafter, this is the way to start out.

As a general deckbuilding rule, you want to be leery of cards that don't affect the board or generate any kind of value by themselves and / or require specific conditions to be met before they start mattering in the game. Nest of Scarabs fails both of those tests and honesty it seems like the perfect kind of card for baiting new drafters into disaster.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit: wrong thread!

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

DangerDongs posted:

Standard Blue-Red players:

To go the 24/25 land with Hieroglyphic build or 26 lands with anticipate?
I am also debating on a third Sweltering Sun vs either Commit / Memory or summary dismissal.

I don't know why anyone would try to play this deck with less than 26 lands. You also don't need anticipate if you are running a few censors.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Elyv posted:

The problem with Nest of Scarabs is that it doesn't do anything by itself and it's actually not amazing even if you do make some dudes because you need things to do with the 1/1s.

Nest of Scarabs could be good in a format that was slower than Amonkhet. Amonkhet is very fast and there's no time to screw around.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DangerDongs posted:

Standard Blue-Red players:

To go the 24/25 land with Hieroglyphic build or 26 lands with anticipate?
I am also debating on a third Sweltering Sun vs either Commit / Memory or summary dismissal.

Don't play Anticipate. Just don't.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Just give me Mistform Ultimus 2.0 Wizards, that's all I want.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

Well think of it this way. G and B are the colours with support for -1/-1 counters. If your deck is only one half of those colours, you're using nest of scarabs to at best half its potential. Does that sound like it would be good enough, given that at full potential it will be balanced to merely great and not insane (since it's not a mythic)?

It's also not just, "how many of my other cards are enablers for this," it is, "what does my deck look like once i fill it with enablers?" Every festering zombie or additional soulstinger is a tradeoff against some other potentially better standalone card. You are paying for improving your nest gameplan by giving up power elsewhere.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well think of it this way. G and B are the colours with support for -1/-1 counters. If your deck is only one half of those colours, you're using nest of scarabs to at best half its potential. Does that sound like it would be good enough, given that at full potential it will be balanced to merely great and not insane (since it's not a mythic)?

It's also not just, "how many of my other cards are enablers for this," it is, "what does my deck look like once i fill it with enablers?" Every festering zombie or additional soulstinger is a tradeoff against some other potentially better standalone card. You are paying for improving your nest gameplan by giving up power elsewhere.

One of the best limited decks I've ever seen had a guy making a Sultai -1/-1 counters deck with a splash for the U/W all token gain flying and vigilance guy. It was gross, and surprisingly consistent.

He got immediately crushed in the finals when his opponent ramped out a T5 Sandwurm Convergence.

Awesome Interactions.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Star Man posted:

Don't play Anticipate. Just don't.

Yeah, Anticipate is a huge dog turd of a card. Of course that hasn't stopped WotC from reprinting it in BFZ and even making an FNM promo of it like they were so sure it was going to be some kind of staple card selection spell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah, Anticipate is a huge dog turd of a card. Of course that hasn't stopped WotC from reprinting it in BFZ and even making an FNM promo of it like they were so sure it was going to be some kind of staple card selection spell.

It's amazing how little they understand about what makes cards in their own game work

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It honestly makes me laugh when an opponent slams an Anticipate instead of countering or removing my two-drop. Like, that's what you took turn two off to do on the play?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's this about?

https://twitter.com/GabySpartz/status/867807437331415040

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheDemon posted:

It honestly makes me laugh when an opponent slams an Anticipate instead of countering or removing my two-drop. Like, that's what you took turn two off to do on the play?

Hitting their 3rd land drop is more important than spending a card on your bad 2 drop. That seems pretty reasonable.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

*Thinking Very Hard About Designing New Card Selection Spell* "What do all the good ones have in common?"
-1 Mana
-Potentially See/Draw 3 cards immediately
-Stack deck for better draws
-Sorcery speed

"I know! Remove the ability to stack your deck, add a mana to the cost, and in return...instant speed. There done." *Moves on to designing 4/4 flyer for 2 mana*

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Apparently hs streamer Amaz got invite to PT as a promotion and grinders are upset that it invalidates the grind

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Death Bot posted:

Apparently hs streamer Amaz got invite to PT as a promotion and grinders are upset that it invalidates the grind

Bah, whatever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Death Bot posted:

If true that is bullshit. Getting on the PT is loving hard and shouldn't be given away.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheDemon posted:

if only impulse had been allowed, sigh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
j/k impulse probably wouldn't be amazing or anything but hell, it'd be played in storm, probably. thats what i want to believe anyway

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

If true that is bullshit. Getting on the PT is loving hard and shouldn't be given away.

Didn't Huey get back on the Pro Tour through a special invite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

That actually seems like a completely valid complaint