Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Apoplexy posted:

You habitually and spastically post in GBS in politics-related threads and are a right-winger. We know all we need to know from that alone.

Looool this to the max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bip Roberts posted:

Did every one of those words trigger you op?

Hi what?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

That Robot posted:

Lmao way better than right-wing horseshit

de gustibus non est disputandum

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bip Roberts posted:

Imo it was good to shoot this notorious childfucker in the back.

Actually he was not a pedo. That's why he had to die: he couldn't be trusted unless he was one of them:11tea:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FactsAreUseless posted:

Public radio has the exact same flaws and failings it did 30 years ago, and it's not that they're too liberal or conservative.

Yeah it's that they're too white and also not actually publicly funded but rather dependent on donors

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Actually he was not a pedo. That's why he had to die: he couldn't be trusted unless he was one of them:11tea:

lol you think you can work for hillary without bringing a fresh youth to your interview

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yeah it's that they're too white and also not actually publicly funded but rather dependent on donors

You mean members of the public? :smug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The biggest issue isn't their supporter funding model, or even their underwriting model. NPR has always been a public/private partnership. It's the way that the national service relies on member stations, and those member stations are often beholden to a university/small board of directors/good ol' boys club of some kind. You seem similar things in commercial media if you follow it closely. Small groups of unaccountable people are often making decisions, not reporters or editors with journalistic standards and background. Public radio has a lot of strengths - I still think it's your best option for broadcast media in the US - but these are issues worth knowing about. A lot of the decisions being made in major media aren't simple questions of bias, or even funding. They can be personal decisions made at high levels that trickle down and have a big impact.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For instance, I have full confidence in Washington Post reporters, even citing anonymous stories, because I know those reporters and their editors are good. I'm familiar with their work: journalism is largely about reputation. What I have less confidence in is the company that owns WaPo, because their goal is to make money. It's why I like public media. With all its issues, it still believes in journalism as a public good, not a commodity.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

de gustibus non est disputandum

cool I don't speak latin so please translate from ancient moon language tia

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Can't believe loser liberals are paying any attention to the liars in the lame stream media.

Hey did you hear how Hillary hired an assassin to shoot Seth rich in the back and then podesta personally finished the job by strangling him to death in his hospital bed.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

fruit on the bottom posted:

Can't believe loser liberals are paying any attention to the liars in the lame stream media.

Hey did you hear how Hillary hired an assassin to shoot Seth rich in the back and then podesta personally finished the job by strangling him to death in his hospital bed.

Did you hear that Trump is literally Hitler and there's a piss tape

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The piss tape is real and strong and it is my friend

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

FactsAreUseless posted:

The biggest issue isn't their supporter funding model, or even their underwriting model. NPR has always been a public/private partnership. It's the way that the national service relies on member stations, and those member stations are often beholden to a university/small board of directors/good ol' boys club of some kind. You seem similar things in commercial media if you follow it closely. Small groups of unaccountable people are often making decisions, not reporters or editors with journalistic standards and background. Public radio has a lot of strengths - I still think it's your best option for broadcast media in the US - but these are issues worth knowing about. A lot of the decisions being made in major media aren't simple questions of bias, or even funding. They can be personal decisions made at high levels that trickle down and have a big impact.

Yes but have you considered: Facts are useless

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Robot posted:

cool I don't speak latin so please translate from ancient moon language tia

There is no disputing that Gus is in the East

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FactsAreUseless posted:

For instance, I have full confidence in Washington Post reporters, even citing anonymous stories, because I know those reporters and their editors are good. I'm familiar with their work: journalism is largely about reputation. What I have less confidence in is the company that owns WaPo, because their goal is to make money. It's why I like public media. With all its issues, it still believes in journalism as a public good, not a commodity.

Reputations are slow to change even when there's staff turnover and changes in leadership.

The key is that the Washington Post has been wrong a lot these days and their editorials/blogs have been shameless

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Reputations are slow to change even when there's staff turnover and changes in leadership.
Individual reputation, not organizational. I'm more interested in who is reporting than who they're reporting for.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think Seth's family is being threatened into staying quiet, which is why the DNC has stepped in to put their own person in as a spokesperson.

Edit:

I think Seth's family is being threatened into making statements, which is why they wrote that Op Ed telling people to stop indulging in conspiracy theories.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Did you hear that Trump is literally Hitler and there's a piss tape

Trump is Mussolini.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

There is no disputing that Gus is in the East

gus is a bad name

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think Seth's family is being threatened into staying quiet, which is why the DNC has stepped in to put their own person in as a spokesperson.

Edit:

I think Seth's family is being threatened into making statements, which is why they wrote that Op Ed telling people to stop indulging in conspiracy theories.

Or maybe they actually want people to leave them alone

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FactsAreUseless posted:

Individual reputation, not organizational. I'm more interested in who is reporting than who they're reporting for.

You actually know individual reporters?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Edit:

I doubt they actually wrote it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You actually know individual reporters?
Yes.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

https://youtu.be/HkfWs0TmiQ4

Did they loving do it

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Rich "Seth MacFarlane" Evans was supposed to die on 9/11. We're all just living in a timeline forked off that event's failure to culminate properly, like Donnie Darko.

fruit on the bottom posted:

The piss tape is real and strong and it is my friend

Agreed.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

That Robot posted:

Or maybe they actually want people to leave them alone

I think he was killed in a random act of violence/robbery and that's why the goddamn police haven't uncovered ANYTHING that could link his death back to the DNC. THAT SAID: I think that they simply want peace so the police can continue to do their jobs. They would also like to NOT have their son irrevocably linked to leaking information to an organization that's one half-step away from being labeled as outright terrorists by the US government.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Edit:

They're embarrassed at the public learning the truth of the disgusting son they raised

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Bip Roberts posted:

They're embarrassed at the public learning the truth of the disgusting son they raised

That's loving retarded dude.

Stop seeing poo poo that isn't there.

They want to be left alone from unwashed basement white nationalists who won't take no for an answer.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The key is that the Washington Post has been wrong a lot these days and their editorials/blogs have been shameless
https://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2017/02/23/john-podesta-joins-the-washington-post-as-a-contributing-columnist/

That's because Pedosta is in damage control

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

o rly

perhaps he wants stable income after the campaign

ever think about that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
His parents had him killed. Then they realized they didn't need to loot him and already had access to his bank account

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, the WaPo editorials section is garbage. NYT, too. Listen to Chapo Trap House, they do a fairly regular segment on how loving evil and retarded the columnists for those papers of record are. It's a shame that they feel the need to have opinion columns and to hire shitbag conservatives who openly call for the deaths of transgender people and black teens.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

That Robot posted:

o rly

perhaps he wants stable income after the campaign

ever think about that?

Damage control for his bank account. Now that Hillary is done (she better goddamn well be), nobody is stupid enough to hire loving imbeciles like John Podesta and Robby Mook.

"Oh, you're the guy who ran the campaign that lost to a loving orange baboon who openly admitted to sexual assault? WELCOME ABOARD THE FRANKEN 2020 CAMPAIGN!"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

Damage control for his bank account. Now that Hillary is done (she better goddamn well be), nobody is stupid enough to hire loving imbeciles like John Podesta and Robby Mook.

"Oh, you're the guy who ran the campaign that lost to a loving orange baboon who openly admitted to sexual assault? WELCOME ABOARD THE FRANKEN 2020 CAMPAIGN!"
Everyone pay close attention to Mr Podesta and listen to everything he says we should do, then do the exact opposite.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Apoplexy posted:

You're dumb and wrong.

How so? Harvard did a study on media coverage during Trump's first 100 days.

This was the tone of coverage when discussing Trump:

When discussing Trump's fitness for office:

Trump vs. Other presidents in first 100 days:

I'm not even arguing that Trump is a good president (I think he's pretty bad tbh). But you can't say with a straight face that there isn't a huge amount of bias in the mainstream media.

For the most part, I don't think they are reporting "just the news" and facts anymore. Every loving story has to have some idiot opinion shoved into it. I feel like a lot of reporters for the biggest and most prestigious outlets are basically bloggers at this point. They are after the most clicks and beyond that, what they write doesn't matter. Why spend weeks on investigative journalism when you can spend an hour putting together some click bait opinion piece?

Maybe Sam Zell can explain it better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDy7vn7-LX4

FactsAreUseless posted:

Out of curiosity, who would you say that you implicitly trust at WaPo? There are a few journalists I have really liked over the years at various outlets, but this election seems to have really broken people.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Knight posted:

Everyone pay close attention to Mr Podesta and listen to everything he says we should do, then do the exact opposite.

Yeah him and Robby Goddamn Mook :argh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

How so? Harvard did a study on media coverage during Trump's first 100 days.

This was the tone of coverage when discussing Trump:

Here's a possible explanation: maybe Trump is, in fact, objectively not good :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Objective means reporting both sides as though they had equal merit.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Yeah the 'tone' of Trump is tough, considering he had a long-term history of being a lying sack of poo poo. Anyone with a functioning hemisphere in their brain could spot Trump's manipulative behavior from decades previous, without any need to speculate on the future. There was really no good reason to give him a fair shake, unless you just wanted to completely erase the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Faffel posted:

Yeah the 'tone' of Trump is tough, considering he had a long-term history of being a lying sack of poo poo. Anyone with a functioning hemisphere in their brain could spot Trump's manipulative behavior from decades previous, without any need to speculate on the future. There was really no good reason to give him a fair shake, unless you just wanted to completely erase the past.

We should've voted in the Most Qualified candidate in history and these dumbass hicks were like "durrrr Lemme pick Mr. Rasslin Man"

• Locked thread