Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Ah yes, the well respected bitch had it coming defense.

This country is doomed.

Does anyone see a release valve for the poisoned level of discourse in this country?

The best way I can see out of this is that the accelerationists are right.

You don't think it hasn't gotten this bad before? We've come back from worse, and we will again. It just takes time and reasonable people engaging with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

The following two posts are from August 11th and 12th, respectively. These posts show how eager the militia movement was for any pretense to carry heavy weapons around minority neighborhoods in a blatant act of intimidation. Although the militia's have been quiet for a bit as a result of the post-Malheur crackdown; that crackdown has been effectively ended by the Trump administration. As the militias realize it is safe to poke their heads in public again you can expect them to begin appearing at political rallies in support of pro-Trump protesters. Their is a very strong risk for violence erupting from a scenario wherein some group like Oathkeepers shows up armed to protect some Proud Boys and opens fire on some antifa/minority protesters.

Can you share a link to a basic overview of what you discuss, and do you have a blog of some sort that I can share with non-SA people?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Holy Jesus we got a handshake feud goin on.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

RuanGacho posted:

They aren't capable if they don't run the government.

It is time for the egalitarian renaissance.

I added a little bit after I first posted, but basically I don't think the fascists are going to even give two shits about the government; the government of Trumpistan collapsing will be their pretext to going full Rwanda, though, and they'll just go door-to-door killing LIBTARDS they know from Facebook.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

All of these people making light and not straight up condemning assault deserve the ahca and I hope they die with me. Oh wait congress people are exempt, poo poo.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You don't think it hasn't gotten this bad before? We've come back from worse, and we will again. It just takes time and reasonable people engaging with each other.

There is absolutely no way any time prior to this has been as bad as this. 20% of the country is heavily-armed, psychotic, and willing to go to full-scale genocidal civil war on a moment's notice.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why? No-one stayed home over the horrible things Trump has done. Those prim and proper old Republican ladies you see don't faint as easily over nastiness as you might think.
Yeah, I'm not convinced that this will affect Republican turn-out very much. Republicans and people who lean Republican like the "strongman" image, because they're pathetic barely-humans. I don't think this will hurt his chances.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We're doomed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Chilichimp posted:

The problem with normalizing violence against political opponents is... it normalizes violence against political opponents, and that door swings both fuckin' ways.

I'm saying we might have just witnessed "he choke-slam heard round the world" in regards to political norms in the US.

Conservatives have been getting violent in response to frustration since basically forever. It's only the cause of handwringing when antifa decides to punch a nazi.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

loling over here

Trump pulling really hard and making his weird smirk, "THIS IS FOR EARLIER", and Macron saying "alright buddy, calm down," and Trump just leaning in harder

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jesus, what a little punk bitch.

I'm glad world leaders learned about Trump's bullshit power plays. Marcon yanks him right back.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

hanales posted:

Can you share a link to a basic overview of what you discuss, and do you have a blog of some sort that I can share with non-SA people?

Your wish is my command. Here is a link to a blogged version of my Narrativist Frameowrk meant specifically for non-SA people.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Apoplexy posted:

There is absolutely no way any time prior to this has been as bad as this. 20% of the country is heavily-armed, psychotic, and willing to go to full-scale genocidal civil war on a moment's notice.

I mean there was a literal civil war 150 years ago and we aren't there yet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Man are we hosed

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Why? No-one stayed home over the horrible things Trump has done. Those prim and proper old Republican ladies you see don't faint as easily over nastiness as you might think.

Hillary was Trump's opponent, Rob Quist is basically Bob Ross with a cowboy hat.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

They aren't capable if they don't run the government.

It is time for the egalitarian renaissance.

Yeah I get it I'm just ribbing you guys.

I know how hard it is, I have to do all I can to get rid of Dave Richert next election.

There's some hope with the potential of redrawn districts, but they're being redrawn by the GOP here again. Hopefully that, too, gets struck.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
If I ever have the opportunity receive the extreme punishment of having to shake DT's hand, I'm going to stay off balance so that the cameras will unequivocally capture him yanking me to the ground.

In my statement I'll say with confusion that I've shaken hands with thousands of people and never once had that happen, so I had no idea he would pull me in so hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect the proximity to the election is important here. If Trump's Access Hollywood tape had come out a day or two before the election, I think it would've depressed turnout. But there was plenty of time for people to rationalize it between its release and the election, and there were Clinton scandals and the Comey letter closer to the election. I guess what I'm saying is that if this happened a month ago and then the charges were dropped or something, I'd agree that it'd have little to no effect on Republican turnout. As it is, I'm not ready to count it out.

That said, I'm still skeptical of how much this will affect the results given how huge the early voting was. If the election is as close as the all-over-the-place polls suggest then it could have a pretty serious effect, but if it isn't, Gianforte could still win pretty comfortably.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

The people that are still intending to vote for Gianforte are lost causes; no one ever expected this to reach them.

I don't know that you're wrong per se, but it's still kind of existentially terrifying to know that 30 to 50 percent of the electorate thinks beating the poo poo out of your political opposition is awesome, and I don't think it's sustainable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember a month or two ago when all the Republican reps were crying about how mean and scary people at their town halls were and couldn't go? Now they are casually joking about their peers beating up regular people. GOP has already gone full fascist ideology, it's too late for them to turn back.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know that you're wrong per se, but it's still kind of existentially terrifying to know that 30 to 50 percent of the electorate thinks beating the poo poo out of your political opposition is awesome, and I don't think it's sustainable.

To be fair when Preston Brooks beat Sumner so badly he was permanently injured the South in general considered it fair for the slight against their collective honor. These kinds of assholes are nothing new.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

"When German Chancellor Angela Merkel visited President Donald Trump at the White House in March, she brought a visual aid to help Trump understand the menace posed by his would-be friend, Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Merkel brought a 1980s map of the former Soviet Union and noted the way its borders stretched for hundreds of miles to the west of Russia’s current boundary, according to a source who was briefed on the meeting. The German leader's point was that Putin laments the Soviet Union’s demise and, left unchecked, would happily restore its former borders. Merkel left Washington unconvinced that Trump had gotten the message, the source said."

The leader of Germany had to bring a loving visual aid to explain to the President of the United States of Goddamned America the state of affairs just 30 years ago.

Then Trump pulled out the 2016 electoral map "I see tremendous amounts of red on both"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I wish the Republican party would produce some. 9/10 of them seem to be maniacs. It's hard to engage with mad conspiracy theorists. How can you talk with people who think Hillary Clinton has hordes of assassins and child sex slaves? We aren't disagreeing like reasonable people on her foreign policy, they literally believe she's some sort of supervillain. Until Republicans figure out how to deal with the reality outside their heads, what are we going to discuss?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Democrats are conservative enough on economic policy that anyone of any worth has already left the Republican party leadership. There's no one good left.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder what the reaction would have been if some of the world leaders held a meeting and Trump wasn't allowed in due to him not being able to keep his mouth shut.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

reasonable people

I see a flaw in this plan. The Generic GOP voter isn't 'reasonable.' They've been taught that Reason itself is evil.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Thank you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Japanese internment, Trail of Tears, American Civil War, black slavery, Jim Crow, backlash to civil rights movement, Vietnam War, Great Depression, Dust Bowl, pre- women's suffrage, Iraq War, etc etc

Don't get me wrong -- we're at a pretty low point right now -- but we haven't sunk to an all-time low yet.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

That was over slavery and secession. This is over people thinking trans people are subhuman filth who shouldn't be allowed to use public restrooms and that a pizza place was running a child sex ring out of its non-existent basement.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I wish the Republican party would produce some. 9/10 of them seem to be maniacs. It's hard to engage with mad conspiracy theorists. How can you talk with people who think Hillary Clinton has hordes of assassins and child sex slaves? We aren't disagreeing like reasonable people on her foreign policy, they literally believe she's some sort of supervillain. Until Republicans figure out how to deal with the reality outside their heads, what are we going to discuss?

Real fiscal management and infrastructure so that when we defeat them in the cultural war we have some way to do doughnut victory laps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Saying we recovered from the civil was is pretty optimistic. We're still fighting people who fly the confederate flag.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Apoplexy posted:

There was that other civil war that I vaguely recall...

In the modern era though, I do think we're at risk of internal struggle more than at any other time. All the ingredients are there and it's *this* close to boiling over.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Saying we recovered from the civil was is pretty optimistic. We're still fighting people who fly the confederate flag.

A case could be made that the civil war never actually ended.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Apoplexy posted:

They are armed but they aren't willing to go full-scale genocidal civil war. They are scared which is why they brandish their guns in the street. These people are pussies straight up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pkay posted:

They are armed but they aren't willing to go full-scale genocidal civil war. They are scared which is why they brandish their guns in the street. These people are pussies straight up.

Scared people pull triggers all the time. How many unarmed black people have died because a cop (or wannabe cop) was 'scared?'

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

A case could be made that the civil war never actually ended.

The Civil War ended.

The issue is that Reconstruction ended, but it wasn't finished.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ThePeavstenator posted:

We didn't have city destroying bombs back then. Unless somehow the military stays out of it, an American Civil war now would likely be catastrophic.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

There Bias Two posted:

There was that other civil war that I vaguely recall...

In the modern era though, I do think we're at risk of internal struggle more than at any other time. All the ingredients are there and it's *this* close to boiling over.

I really probably should've specified 'within the last 50 years', haha. I think the actual Civil War might eclipse this and all, at least until it turns into Rwanda 2.0.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
Any "reasonable Republicans" today are actually conservative Democrats.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

RuanGacho posted:

Real fiscal management and infrastructure so that when we defeat them in the cultural war we have some way to do doughnut victory laps.

We already won that argument. They don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Bhaal posted:

If I ever have the opportunity receive the extreme punishment of having to shake DT's hand, I'm going to stay off balance so that the cameras will unequivocally capture him yanking me to the ground.

In my statement I'll say with confusion that I've shaken hands with thousands of people and never once had that happen, so I had no idea he would pull me in so hard.

Twist yourself midair, and scream "I'm sorry I'm sorry" when you land. Claim he whispered threats at you as he leaned in for the shake, and that his eyes seemed unfocused, like he didn't know what was going on.

• Locked thread