Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Addamere posted:

Thoughts on Willump this patch?

I've been consistently 3-buffing the enemy and taking dragons, herald, and baron without issue. Cinderhulk → Frozen Heart or Spirit Visage → Locket seems a pretty good item build for him.

What do you think of gimmicky items like Gargoyle Stoneplate and Banner of Command? Is it worth buying Redemption?

I don't play a lot of Nunu but he appears to be the strongest jungler atm. He's in a similar bucket to Ivern but he becomes a burly annoying peeler or secondary initiator versus a pseudo support . I think for Nunu, you want more selfish stats like stoneplate and not so much redemption because he's going to be in the fray a lot more than Ivern. Daisy is Ivern's way to get in a fight and he sits back and shields; Nunu on the other hand wants to be in the ADC's face barfing snowballs and slapping them. He's a very bulky dude and is the original counterjungling jungler. Plus he's way easier to use than Ivern!

With Ivern I'm still able to three buff steal but it's much more to the wire and kind of dangerous. If the enemy jungler is fast about it and knows their second was stolen, they can be at your second buff in time to fight you.

A little tip Nunu: you can make early engages (think level 6 to 11, where you got a rank or so in your ults) with Ivern easier when you just eat Daisy and smite her out of a fight instantly. As soon as you do that Ivern is in a very, very awkward position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Addamere posted:

Right-clicking fools is well and good, but have you considered also right-clicking objectives? I did not watch your videos, but one of the biggest issues I see in low-elo markscritters I play with is a pathological inability to right-click on a dragon or tower when the opportunity presents itself. Instead of shoving the lane and backing after getting a kill, they'll just back immediately; instead of coming to dragon when the jungler pings help on the pit, help on the ADC, and then targets the dragon they'll stay in the empty lane farming another wave; and so on. Please apply your damage to team objectives. As a neat bonus, dragons and towers also appear to be made of the same gold coins as are lane minions — more of them, in fact!

Good of you to point out, but if anything I tunnel vision too hard on towers and don't go contribute to whatever random fight is breaking out in mid lane.

I'll try New MF. Last time I played her Strut was her Passive and she had free Grievous Wounds on her W hah

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i personally like to play twitch because i relate a lot to his quotes and outlook on life

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'll probably play more Ashe in this case so I can still land sick skillshot ults, hah. Landing ECA from downtown for kills/assists never ever gets old.

Tough to say. The only champ I ever had the patience One Trick for a long time was Jax, back when he had native dodge and a stacking health passive.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That was like beta

I like your unique outlook on league though, you have a good attitude :)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Im kind of sick right now so my voice is hosed up but im recording a video over your games rygar.

not going to be nice tho sorry fren :v:

also don't worry about what adc you're playing in low elo. you're gonna get poo poo like lux support either way.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Im kind of sick right now so my voice is hosed up but im recording a video over your games rygar.

also don't worry about what adc you're playing in low elo. you're gonna get poo poo like lux support either way.

if you get some goober playing a mage bot-lane just pick ziggs, tell your team it's op in korea, and shove the gently caress out of that lane to get first brick give the shaco camping your lane a bunch of kills

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'd be stunned if you were nice, I played so badly those games I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to report me :haw:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I'd be stunned if you were nice, I played so badly those games I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to report me :haw:

here's game 1, i'll look at your runes and upload game 2 in a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_csTdk5qM

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Is Jhin still worth playing as an adc, because he is an absurdly good feeling character to play.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Is Jhin still worth playing as an adc, because he is an absurdly good feeling character to play.

One clowned all over me last night, so based on my limited anecdotes the answer is yes

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

he's fun and still fine, just not great. pick him last if your opponents dnt have tanks, otherwise you need a bork adc

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Use Attack Speed Quintessences on your ADC rune page, that's part of why you feel so weak early on. As for masteries, you're doing this -- when you should be doing this (usually)

heres game 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpfGFaXDsDw

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not going to claim Jinx is a great pick, but I got to gold last season playing her almost exclusively with a 71% win ratio. I think playing what you are comfortable with is really important at this trash elo.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'd argue that you got to gold in spite of playing Jinx, you're probably just a good player.

She's almost never picked in high elo and literally never in competitive for a reason.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks for the commentary Naruto, I'll try to put some of that into practices tonight and maybe post some more videos. Yeah I can't believe I didn't think to level traps whilst getting into all those fights. I'm off to watch the twitch vids and see if they just hit the same points hah

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MF is still really good. Full lethality runes/DFT, BF -> ghostblade -> second dirk -> IE/RFC/BT in some order is best in most games. BC is sometimes good but only if you really want the extra survivability. Skip boots if you can.

Caitlyn is the only truly bad matchup (maybe a good Draven/Kog too but you don't see those all that much) and she's getting dumpstered in the next patch so enjoy the freelo.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

I'd argue that you got to gold in spite of playing Jinx, you're probably just a good player.

She's almost never picked in high elo and literally never in competitive for a reason.

Solo queue is a different beast than challenger/pro play. There are lots of champs that are good at lower elo that are bad or non-existent in high level play and vice versa. Unless someone is skilled enough to actually be in the LCS it's bad to suggest they avoid a champ just because they're not picked by better players. They're going to do much better on a champ that they're comfortable with and know how to play instead of just mimicking the picks that better players favor.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Crazy Larry posted:

Solo queue is a different beast than challenger/pro play. There are lots of champs that are good at lower elo that are bad or non-existent in high level play and vice versa. Unless someone is skilled enough to actually be in the LCS it's bad to suggest they avoid a champ just because they're not picked by better players. They're going to do much better on a champ that they're comfortable with and know how to play instead of just mimicking the picks that better players favor.

There's a reason the better players are not picking those champions though.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Jinx is fine

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

she doesnt build botrk

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Sure, but right now ADCs in competitive are largely being selected for picks/utility rather than DPS. You see stuff like Ashe with no IE all the time, for example.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Pussy Quipped posted:

Yeah, that's because they're better players that have the combination of mechanical skill, decision making and teamwork to make those picks work. "Play what the pros play" would have bronze/silver players picking Graves, who has been a bad solo queue jungles for several patches now, instead of something like Warwick, who is actually good in solo queue, just because that's what Peanut would do. It's like telling a high school freshman basketball players to go practice 25 foot up pull up jumpers because Seth Curry takes that shot in games.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Actually I think you'll find the best ADC in the world, Omecktapie, is playing Jinx literally right now.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I know its tied to email but is there any market for old accounts with a decent amount of rare skins? Has anyone had success selling their old account?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jinx is a completely average ADC right now and there's nothing wrong with either playing Jinx or refusing to play Jinx. She's weak to dives, strong if she gets rolling, same thing she's almost always been except those patches where she was an absurd lane bully that hyperscaled.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

You probably don't want to always copy the pro botrk adc builds in low elo where the enemy team is 4 assassins and a blitzcrank

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

It's because adc pools aren't pressured as much as every other position, and they all do basically the same thing so they just play the two best available over and over. There's nothing wrong with Jinx, but for her to be picked in competitive there would have to be like 6 adc bans which will never happen.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3BwOlgcU-0

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Work Friend Keven posted:

Actually I think you'll find the best ADC in the world, Omecktapie, is playing Jinx literally right now.

It funny because immediately as I tuned it he was saying "now it's that point in the game that I love, when you just farm and can't do anything for yourself and wait for your team to do something"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't care for the pulsefire caitlyn skin

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

henkman posted:

I don't care for the pulsefire caitlyn skin

are they really timing Pulsefire Caitlyn's release with huge nerfs?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Electrical Fire posted:

I'm not going to claim Jinx is a great pick, but I got to gold last season playing her almost exclusively with a 71% win ratio. I think playing what you are comfortable with is really important at this trash elo.

:same:

Jinx with Japanese audio (so you can't understand her awful dialogue) is some top tier fun.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
~A Rakan Effortpost~

By you're's truly, kingcobweb, in-game name KillGoldfish, my name is actually Jesse (little trivia for you)

Rakan strengths:
  • by far the most mobile support in the game, which lets him get riskier wards as well as a million other things supports don't usually get to do
  • his ability to engage through minion waves with a relatively easy skillshot, a la Leona, means that if your team gets ahead he can push the advantage extremely effectively by repeatedly starting fights
  • a true Ganking Support, his roams are absolute god-tier, comparable to Alistar
  • extremely adaptable playstyle and build path, can be pretty much whatever your team needs from the support role (shields/heals for a hypercarry, hard engage for a team without any, etc)
  • his W-E combo lets him fish for engages and immediately retreat if it doesn't go well, allowing him to make plays that look extremely risky that really aren't
  • his ultimate is a top-tier teamfight spell

Rakan weaknesses:
  • needs to get ahead early, but isn't powerful enough in lane to make it happen consistently
  • is naturally extremely squishy for an almost-melee-range champion
  • gets incredibly owned by a single hard-CC effect when he's trying to engage (especially since, as I've noted previously, his dashes are bafflingly easy to interrupt; usually only knockups/displacements can interrupt dashes, but Rakan will literally stop in the middle of a dash if he gets hit with a stun like Annie, TF, or even if he tries to dash over a Caitlyn trap)
  • laning against ranged bullies like Sona is a complete nightmare
  • in skillset, is an absolute 'tweener:' shields and heals suck compare to shielding/healing supports, only has one non-ultimate CC unlike pretty much all the engage supports
  • support items are really unkind to him: his range is purposefully just-barely-not-melee so he can't use Relic Shield, doesn't use enough mana to make use of Coin (and needs actual combat stats, not regen), and doesn't have the consistent poke to make good use of Spellthief

An important thing to note is that you should probably not play Rakan. He's incredibly fun, he's flashy, he's new, he does things no other support can do, and I've had great success with him (was rocking about a 2/3 win rate till I hit the point where I was going for a promotion to plat 2, now I'm back at 50/50). However, by all statistical metrics, he's really ineffective. He's one of the lowest win-rate champs in the entire game (46.42 by op.gg, below mid Gangplank and above top Volibear), and he takes a lot of work not to suck absolute rear end. His combination of needing to get ahead early and being really difficult to get ahead early on is... not ideal. Trying to get into support by learning Rakan would be like trying to get into jazz by listening to Ornette Coleman; you won't have the proper context to distinguish it from complete random trash. However, if you've already spent hundreds of hours learning other things as background, it can be extremely rewarding.

One reason that Rakan does so terribly in stats, though, is that he's new, he's weird, and 80% of people are building him absolutely wrong. That's the share of people that start Coin on him, and right off the bat it costs about 4% winrate versus starting Spellthief. (Some high-Elo Rakan players start Relic Shield, but it seems to be because they're on voice coms with their ADC; I'd rather take a shot of live maggots than try to get Relic charges off in plat solo queue.) Spellthief, unlike Coin, has some actual combat stats on it, and the extra damage can be relevant in those tight early fights that can swing an entire game. Additionally, Eye of the Watchers is a really good item for him, with AP, CDR, and a quest that perfectly synergizes with his high-mobility kit.

Because his AP ratios are legitimately very good, people are tempted into trying to build him like an AP support. I've even self-justified this when I built AP items, since hey, it gives him tankiness with his passive! The truth is, though, that most of the time you're just going to completely explode when you try to hit people with ultimate in the mid-to-lategame. You need items with at least some tank stats on them: Redemption and Locket are his two most popular items on probuilds for a reason. (If you do disregard my advice and start Coin, going Talisman is better than Eye, since it has armor in the build path.)

His mobility, combined with his innate weakness to crowd control, makes Boots of Mobility an ineffective buy on him compared to other supports. Getting hit with a single auto turns them into brown boots, and you just look like an idiot. Get early Mercury Treads instead, unless they're super heavy AD with limited CC, in which case, get Ninja Tabi. Boots of Swiftness also seem pretty good, but I don't build them personally.

Depending on team comp, I often just build straight-up tank on him after my support itemization. Against AP-heavy teams when my team also has an AP carry threat (and hopefully we do), Abyssal Scepter is a super effective and underrated item. It builds out of nothing but HP and MR components, but gives you CDR and makes all your team's magic damage 10% stronger. There's not many ways, as a support, that you can make your Ahri, Lux, or even Malphite with Sunfire Cape more effective, and now you have a really good one. Against the all-AD comp, I like Frozen Heart. Banshee's Veil is great if you need to engage but keep getting hit by that one CC spell. That being said, I have to acknowledge that boring ol' Redemption is still good, and probably a safe, effective choice 100% of the time.

General gameplay flow:

At level one, group your team for an invade. Rakan wants to take W at level one anyway, and it's a great invade skill.

For your level two power spike, W, get a few autos until you're about to take too much damage, then E, more fighting, E again. (If you need a primer on the level two power spike all-in, Rakan isn't the champion for you. Play Leona instead until you get the hang of it.)

From level three onward, your combo is W-Q-auto-E, then either run behind your ADC as they tank or go in for more autos depending on how the fight is going, E again right before the second E timer runs out. Do this whenever you can; the stronger the opponents are in lane, the quicker the trade needs to be for it to be advantageous. If you're against something like Sona or Nami, don't even bother unless you think you can kill them; you'll just lose the trade. Wait under tower for your jungler instead.

You need to look for roam opportunities constantly. Is your lane pushed in, and the opposing Syndra is shoving in mid? Kill her. Is your jungler about to get in a fight in the jungle? Is the opposing jungler trying to get greedy with counterjungling? Is midlane about to become a 2v2 skirmish via a countergank? You need to do what Rakan is good at, which is skirmish fighting, rather than sitting in lane getting chunked.

During midgame, your opponents probably don't have the burst damage necessary to one-shot you as soon as you go in (yet). This lets you be the primary person to either engage on an out-of-position high-priority target, or even better, come out of nowhere to turn a fight in your team's favor. Rakan works best as the support equivalent of Master Yi: coming in late to a fight, after some important spells are on cooldown, and running rampant through opponents.

During teamfighting, being the primary engage is a bad idea, for a few reasons. You're not tanky enough to do it, and if you run around their team with R before the actual fight, all your CC will already be used and over by the time your team can follow up. Just shield some carries, or maybe a quick WQE to entice a real engage, wait for your spells to all be back up, then go in for real with R. Despite some similarities to engage supports like Leona and Alistar in early/midgame, you need to play with a different (and pretty much Rakan-specific) mindset when the fights get larger.

Quick reference:

Flash/Ignite always

Runes:

MR blue (optionally, you can have a separate page with AP here instead for matchups vs melee supports and ADCs that don't do much magic damage)
Armor yellow
MPen red (can be pretty much anything though)
AP quints

Masteries:

0/12/18, Courage of the Colossus
Some high-Elo Rakan players also have an 0/18/12 Thunderlord's page when they're against melee matchups for better burst damage at early levels

Build:

Spellthief + 3pot start
Frostfang
Sightstone
Merc Treads
Eye of the Watchers
Redemption/Abyssal Scepter/Frozen Heart/Banshee's Veil/Ardent Censor (seriously, his build path is really versatile and situation-dependent)

Skill order: WEQ, max W > E. Can also max E if you want to play a more shield-heavy style. DON'T MAX Q IT SUCKS

Video clips:

Short:
A basic level two power spike all-in
Rotating to help the jungler during laning
Turning an overly-aggressive gank during laning
Defending against a level six Warwick gank while we're level five
Using Rakan's mobility to escape from their jungle (and start a decent fight)
A basic mid roam with ult
Making their midlaner ask what the gently caress is that champion
Using the incredibly slick-looking ult-flash to turn a gank
Using W to dodge a skillshot then turning a tower dive
E-W double dash to interrupt another dash
Example of using W-R as follow-up engage rather than primary

Longer:
Early game highlights through first death
Repeatedly peeling a 7/0/0 Zed off my ADC (previously posted)

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 25, 2017

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
yeah but is he better than janna

e; i mean can boosted players still get to diamond with him, like they can janna
cough cough

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

yeah but is he better than janna

e; i mean can boosted players still get to diamond with him, like they can janna
cough cough

No and no :smith:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Counterpoint: Rakan is bad

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also Pulsefire Cait legit has the best auto attack animation/sfx in a game, even if the visuals and model are whatever

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

Also Pulsefire Cait legit has the best auto attack animation/sfx in a game, even if the visuals and model are whatever

Hmmm. I might have to check this out. Having pretty skins is like having Foil cards, it helps you play better. Science fact.

Oh, since you don't have PMs: Thanks for reviewing my trash games Teikanmi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Please tell me that Zed raged in allchat, there are VERY few things more satisfying in League than watching an assassin eat poo poo, and watching an assassin eat poo poo and rage about it is one of them :allears:

• Locked thread