Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

FourLeaf posted:

This is so strange. I thought I was implying that each form of media has pros and cons, and making a blanket statement about books being better didn't make much sense. But apparently I was the person saying one is inherently superior all along

I was referring to Precision's post equating not liking the way television handles characterization to a learning disability there at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

I was referring to Precision's post equating not liking the way television handles characterization to a learning disability there at the end.

Oh. My bad.

TomViolence posted:

Y'all need to chill the gently caress out itt and stop interpreting everything as personal attacks.

Yeah... sorry about that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

You must have autism if you do not agree with my opinions and prefer books to the clearly superior televison format. There's simply no other explanation for someone not sharing my objectively correct opinions.

My wife has Non-Verbal Learning Disability, that's why I know about it. Not everything is a personal attack man. When a person posts "you", they are usually using the general "you", not the specific "you".

But it is a real thing that some people simply do not easily - or at all - perceive nonverbal communication. And if you think I was insulting anyone by mentioning it, that's on you - I was just saying that people are very different and reality is far more subjective than most think, and that it is legitimately possible to find it very hard to pick up on nonverbal stuff. My wife didn't understand the scene with Moss where her face went through all those emotions; she had to ask me why I thought it was so well done.

I edited my original post to hopefully be less hostile, even though it was never hostile and the only person I was actually responding to was TomViolence.

edit2: "Tom Violence" is a good song

precision fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 23, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
"The U.S. Government has people in Canada."

:911::hf::canada:

#resist

Man, actually seeing the U.S. flag with 48 hollow stars was a real heartbreaker.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo the end of the most recent episode had me in tears. that episode blew me out of the water

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.
Such a good episode. Pacing, little bits of extra world building... and of course I can't help but feel some national Canadian pride regardless of the fiction of it all. Counting down until next week.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
:stare: :stare:

I presented my senior thesis about The Handmaid's Tale in the room where they did the scene where the US government in exile gives Luke the letter from June.

And I lived a block away from the "Little America" park for 4 years--it's the Esplanade in Toronto. I also like that they left the CN Tower prominently in all the shots.

I don't know how they could tailor this show to me any more than they have.

:stare:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wrong thread, whoops

Anyway, vaguely on topic, Ross Douthat just put out a column about The Handmaid's Tale and boy I can't wait to read that poo poo hah

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 24, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bamabalacha posted:

:stare: :stare:

I presented my senior thesis about The Handmaid's Tale in the room where they did the scene where the US government in exile gives Luke the letter from June.

And I lived a block away from the "Little America" park for 4 years--it's the Esplanade in Toronto. I also like that they left the CN Tower prominently in all the shots.

I don't know how they could tailor this show to me any more than they have.

:stare:

That's loving crazy

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rygar201 posted:

Anyway, vaguely on topic, Ross Douthat just put out a column about The Handmaid's Tale and boy I can't wait to read that poo poo hah

:respek: fellow Douthat hatereader

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

timp posted:

That's loving crazy

I mean, it's in University College at U of T and they film a tooooon of stuff there, it just gave me the wiggins.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man that was so good. And another great song at the end.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That episode gave me Last of Us vibes and that was a good thing.

I couldn't tell because it happened so fast, was the husband and mute the only ones who made it onto the boat? I did see Zoe get shot up :(

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Ballz posted:

That episode gave me Last of Us vibes and that was a good thing.

I got the exact same vibes.

E: Only Zoe got shot in the boat escape.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I got the exact same vibes.

E: Only Zoe got shot in the boat escape.

Correct, but there were some others with her that got suppressed by the gunfire and couldn't make it to the boat, right? Or were those Gilead people coming up on them from behind, it's hard to tell when everyone wears dark clothes at night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it was just him and the mute woman that made it on to the boat. Hard to tell for sure though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would be totally okay with it if season 2 has this show become a spy thriller about June and Lucas infiltrating/taking down Gilead.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat the song at the end of the most recent episode was super good

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

precision posted:

I would be totally okay with it if season 2 has this show become a spy thriller about June and Lucas infiltrating/taking down Gilead.

They've done a really good job with the new material so far. I've been curious about stuff like the resistance and what life was like up in Canada for years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How does a show on a limited budget look so loving great. It's really something...

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I really love the use of colour in this show. It's got a really dark and austere palette that chimes perfectly with its themes and subject matter and manages to use it to best effect without ending up with the grimy, washed out quality so many movies these days end up with.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, that just seemed incredibly dumb. As long as Mexico hasn't also outlawed science and medicine as Gilead seems to have, thetre's no way they could be worse off.

The vibe I got from that whole sequence was that free societies weren't as efficient at leveraging what few fertile women exist as Gilead's raping.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

Man, actually seeing the U.S. flag with 48 hollow stars was a real heartbreaker.

Kinda wonder why they would actually do that. I mean, stars weren't removed during the Civil War.

(I get it, poetic license, etc. Still, Little America was the most :unsmith: moment of the series to date.)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Wrong thread, whoops

it's awful. #notallchristians!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

precision posted:

It really would work well with the end of the book, too.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Screencap of the flag with the 48 hollow stars:

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Stellar Curiosity posted:

Screencap of the flag with the 48 hollow stars:

I did Good Academic Work in this room, but also a lot of shitposting on SA, Hahahaha.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So what was that scene? Is he helping other people escape now or something?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I kind of wanted Luke to die if for no other reason than I am Dead Inside, but here is something thoughtful someone else wrote that I happen to agree with:

quote:

I know the adaptation of a book for a screenplay must evolve into an extension of drama and suspense for consistent viewership of a prolonged series, but what I liked about the book especially was how there was no timeline as far as how long Gilead’s reign would last and how the book could only therefore be a story about survival. How a few can make it while most do not. Or that surviving was just heroic enough. For me this is how the brutality of Margaret’s world building sank in for me in large part due to its never-ending nightmare. Which comes down to why I’m skeptical about Luke’s new fate in the show and how it potentially sidesteps an account of survival for one of saviorship.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Nah he's banging the mute.

When he finally meets up with her and she is big with nick's spawn. He will say "gently caress it, you damaged goods baby. I got me another cute blonde and she doesn't talk"

Cue spunky pop tune.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Cojawfee posted:

So what was that scene? Is he helping other people escape now or something?

Seems like it. Between Luke, Whitford, and friendly hunter guy, this was a real "not all men" episode. Too bad it didn't make Luke any more interesting as a character.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mustard Iceman posted:

Too bad it didn't make Luke any more interesting as a character.

This episode is probably the setup to do exactly that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

How does a show on a limited budget look so loving great. It's really something...

I had no idea the budget was only $13M. It looks great, period, and knowing how inexpensively it was produced makes it even more amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I liked that they subverted our expectation that an outdoorsman hunter rural shitkicker would be on the side of Gilead and rat them out.

"It's hosed up."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I liked that they subverted our expectation that an outdoorsman hunter rural shitkicker would be on the side of Gilead and rat them out.

"It's hosed up."

It makes sense to me. A New England outdoorsman type might also be really libertarian, and horrified by Gilead for those reasons. "Live Free or Die" and all.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"It's hosed up."

I also enjoyed that. It was nice to see men treating this like the apocalyptic government takeover that it was instead of being happy they get to treat women like poo poo. Hope there are more of them out there...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"It's hosed up."

My husband grew up for part of his life in rural Appalachia. When that dude came onto the screen he said "There's no way some country redneck would be happy with this government."

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

DasNeonLicht posted:

I kind of wanted Luke to die if for no other reason than I am Dead Inside, but here is something thoughtful someone else wrote that I happen to agree with:

If Luke follows the note, his story will be locating their daughter, not saving June.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yet again. Another week of Emotional Devastation. This loving show is so good and I hope it wins everything.

If this show ended the way the book did then it would be loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Xealot posted:

It makes sense to me. A New England outdoorsman type might also be really libertarian, and horrified by Gilead for those reasons. "Live Free or Die" and all.

Not to mention the South. The book even talks about rebel Baptists still fighting against Gilead.

As a religious person I appreciate the book/show goes to lengths to suggest this isn't Christianity, it's something else entirely. Like ISIS.

• Locked thread