Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At this point, punching/dope-slapping the person pulling this kinda poo poo should be seen as justifiable. Your president is a gigantic, petty wussy and he deserves to get smacked. Not killed, crippled or anything extreme: Smacked. Like the little whiny jackass rapist redundant waste of flesh that he is.

e: dog tax

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The 80s were hosed even if it had the veneer of respectability.

That's kind of the point though. Even the veneer of respectability can contribute to social cohesion. Once the general consensus is that the social contract is well and dead, that's when all hell really breaks loose. Perception is just as important as reality when it comes to maintaining order.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ripoff posted:

Prester Jane is a time traveler from the future her to warn us about a great calamity that will befall us, I'm convinced. I still chuckle about how drat hard she nailed down Donald Trump's character all those months ago.

I cry about it more than I laugh, though.

The Vindication of Prester Jane By The Narcissist Donald Trump

:smith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't mean to sound like I'm puffing my chest out or acting all tough internet male, but this is how you start a fight.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Oxxidation posted:

People post their ages, and these forums have had a stagnant userbase for years. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of actual teenagers still on here is in the double digits.

Granted, Covok is 24 and he's a hysterical dipshit, so your statement isn't totally without credence.

I'm not prepared to give those of us in our 30s much more of a pass, I'm only willing to remember the 90s with about 50% confidence.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Huzanko posted:

How do you know the age of every goon? Can I have access to the system that tells you that?

Fuckin' ditto?

Huzanko posted:

It's because so many teenagers and twenty-somethings post here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Were they? You think a guy could commit an assault and then get elected to congress the next day in the 60s or 70s?

If that happens, I would bet actual money it's because of the mail-in votes. There's no way the assault doesn't depress Republican turnout today.

If it had happened a month ago and the charges were dropped a couple weeks later or something, then yeah, I'd say it probably wouldn't affect the election. I'm not naive and I know how much people will forgive from people who are on "their team." But the proximity to the election is going to amplify the effects of something like this. I know people call back to the Access Hollywood tape, but that was far enough before the election to have been thoroughly rationalized by then, and overwritten by breathless Clinton email and Comey letter reporting much closer to the election. This isn't the same scenario.

I'm not saying that Gianforte will lose. I can't predict that. What I'm saying is that I bet Republican turnout will be down today even if he wins, and that if he does win, it'll likely be on the backs of pre-assault early votes.

Now, if the charges are dropped or something after he's elected and he's able to just sail right on into Congress with no consequences, yeah, I'm gonna be pretty pissed, but I'm not about to go "nothing matters" on this.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Vintersorg posted:

Ah, ok, let's just ignore things. It's not that bad folks.

Yes, the only options are "scream in despair for all is lost" or "ignore everything", both are which actually just excuses for complacency. God forbid, we consider something like "realistically assess the situation as bad but eminently fixable and work towards that outcome"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

There Bias Two posted:

That's kind of the point though. Even the veneer of respectability can contribute to social cohesion. Once the general consensus is that the social contract is well and dead, that's when all hell really breaks loose. Perception is just as important as reality when it comes to maintaining order.

This is an incredibly privileged perspective. That "social cohesion" never does poo poo for the people who are actually vulnerable in a society.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Going back to the 60s and 70s is is scary to read about how many awful things the government did to squash dissent among the free press and the general population at large during the Vietnam War. That is an example of an administration competently waging war against its own citizens with the FBI.

Oh and meanwhile Nixon just started carpet bombing Cambodia whoops.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Here's the thing that I keep mulling over. Let's say it's November 6th, 2016, and Hillary bodyslams a Fox News reporter.

....we'd all still vote for her, right? I mean, we wouldn't feel great about it, but most of us didn't feel great voting for her anyway. And I'd take a Hillary that beats the poo poo out of reporters over Trump any day, no question.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Huzanko posted:

How do you know the age of every goon? Can I have access to the system that tells you that?

I don't know how many teenagers could handle an early 00s-style bulletin board system in 2017.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Here's the thing that I keep mulling over. Let's say it's November 6th, 2016, and Hillary bodyslams a Fox News reporter.

....we'd all still vote for her, right? I mean, we wouldn't feel great about it, but most of us didn't feel great voting for her anyway. And I'd take a Hillary that beats the poo poo out of reporters over Trump any day, no question.

Yeah, but it's also not just a role of the dice that it was a Republican candidate that did it.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 25, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is an incredibly privileged perspective. That "social cohesion" never does poo poo for the people who are actually vulnerable in a society.

It doesn't solely matter what it does, it matters what the class in power thinks it does.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't mean to sound like I'm puffing my chest out or acting all tough internet male, but this is how you start a fight.

Merkel: "Ve alvays knew boys vere dumb."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New major story from the NYT:

quote:

Does Any of This Matter? Research says: "No"

PRINCETON, NJ—The universe, long known as a bleak and unforgiving place where essentially nothing matters, is in fact even crueler and more heartless than previously thought, according to a startling report published Tuesday by scientists at the Institute for Advanced Study.

“That the world we inhabit is brutal, cold, and meaningless has of course been established scientific fact for quite some time,” said Dr. Susan Doname, head of the research team that conducted the comprehensive five-year study. “But shockingly, our most recent findings indicate that the brutality, coldness, and meaninglessness are far, far more extreme than we ever realized.”

“In fact, the utter futility of it all is a staggering 1.43 million times worse than predicted by our earlier estimates,” she added.

The report explains that when it comes to measuring the complete purposelessness of existence, such impossible-to-reconcile-with-a-caring-God phenomena as earthquakes, disease, famine, and basic human cruelty are “small potatoes, really.” It goes on to state that research in the field has long underestimated the grim discoveries of the past century: threats such as global thermonuclear war, manmade super flus, total environmental collapse, an entirely random meteor strike wiping out all life in a single blow, and so on.

According to the latest statistics, the universe has up to 71 percent less redemption and 87 percent less forgiveness than was once thought, along with an IBK (Indicators of Basic Kindness) rating that has dropped by 52 percent. At the same time, the universe’s general indifference to suffering of all kinds is about a third higher than originally calculated.

Complicating matters is new data that indicates love, often cited as the key mitigating factor against the inevitability of existential gloom, lacks the transcendent power it was once believed to have.

“We used to think love had a very major role to play in shaping the universe,” Doname said. “It turns out we were way off on that one. We now more fully understand that everyone and everything a human being loves will one day cease to be, having existed as little more than the smallest of blips in the vast expanse of the cosmos.”

“Though to be fair, even that description overstates the case,” she continued. “Whereas we used to believe life on earth constituted but the tiniest imaginable speck in the history of the universe, this latest research shows that it’s not even a speck. It’s not anything at all, really. Statistically speaking, it’s nothing.”

The study also reportedly provides the first definitive evidence that there is absolutely no universal creative force that binds existence together, that we are all horribly alone in this place, and that the reason no one has ever been able to find any true meaning in life is because there is none there to be found.

The scientists acknowledged their research “unfortunately leaves the human soul vastly fewer resources with which to sustain itself,” and apologized for earlier miscalculations that may have left people with the smallest bit of hope, however false. But they stood by their findings, stating that the entire natural order of things “is just a whole lot crueler than we ever thought possible.”

While the groundbreaking discovery has reportedly served as a source of great despair for many members of the human race, others reached for comment seemed to take the news more or less in stride.

“I just spent the past 18 hours sewing labels onto brand-name sports apparel,” said Lau Mei-Yee, a 33-year-old garment worker in China’s Guangdong province. “Please stop asking me questions so I can collect my $3.60 in wages, go back to the dormitory I share with eight other people, and get some sleep before my next shift.”

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Huzanko posted:

most goons who still post are reregs, there are less legit new accounts than there are goons who haven't stopped posting here yet. i first signed up back in 2002 when i was a teen, i'm in my thirties now. teens generally don't even know how to find something awful unlike back in the early days when most teens didn't use the internet and the only ones who wanted to post on comedy forums were generally gamer nerds (still why the games forum is the biggest subforum on sa)

like no, there's no survey of goon ages, but given the forum's userbase stagnation it's likely that most goons still posting here are old timers and not relatively young recent newregs (tho there are a substantial contingent of those)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yes, the only options are "scream in despair for all is lost" or "ignore everything", both are which actually just excuses for complacency. God forbid, we consider something like "realistically assess the situation as bad but eminently fixable and work towards that outcome"

The Clintons have a trail of bodies going back to the 70's when she murdered the guy who got a better grade than her in law school or some poo poo, idk, this is stupid.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't know how many teenagers could handle an 00s-style bulletin board system in 2017.

We are a time capsule drifting through space. Occasionally a Nelix joins us.

On the other hand a fair amount of them seem to think Reddit is well designed.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean I'd have voted for Obama if he'd called McCain "whitey" so who am I to condemn anyone calling him a n.. (airhorn).

This is dumb.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

People post their ages, and these forums have had a stagnant userbase for years. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of actual teenagers still on here is in the double digits.

Granted, Covok is 24 and he's a hysterical dipshit, so your statement isn't totally without credence.

It wouldn't actually be hard to figure out the average age on these forums, or at least get an approximate estimate of it.

Go through all user's profiles and get their reg dates, assuming they were 18 or over when they registered.

If we go to user 100k, they are from 2006. User 150k is from 2009. The rest, 70k users are after that. So almost 2/3s of the forums users have been here for more than 10 years, either over 30 or pushing 30.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Z. Autobahn posted:

The type of person who capable of that would not win a democratic primary.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't know how many teenagers could handle an 00s-style bulletin board system in 2017.

Yeah, but it's also not just a role of the dice that it was a Republican candidate that did it.

No, I know, I'm not trying to say "both sides are equally bad", obviously Republicans are vastly worse. I'm just saying, I see some posturing like "how could ANYONE vote for a candidate who assaults a reporter, our nation is DOOMED" when most of us would still pull the lever for a D who did the same. It speaks more to me about how insanely divided the two parties are, and how incredibly hard it would be to get someone who's politically passionate to change their mind.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Vintersorg posted:

A friend on Facebook the other day posted a question asking "How has Trump personally affected you in the last 123 days?" to make the point that everyone is overreacting about Trump & the Republicans. If anyone posted something like "They're trying to take away my health care", "They're destroying the planet" he'd respond with this smug "I'm not talking about what MIGHT happen, I'm talking about NOW. People are getting hysterical and nothing is changing!"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Oxxidation posted:

Hashtag not all 24s.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't know how many teenagers could handle an early 00s-style bulletin board system in 2017.

Given enough time the story of how "Mom and Dad" meant will be relegated to 90's-00's bulletin boards before going to Tinder.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

farraday posted:

I mean I'd have voted for Obama if he'd called McCain "whitey" so who am I to condemn anyone calling him a n.. (airhorn).

This is dumb.

Calling a white dude 'whitey' and a black person the n-word are not even remotely equivalent.

mcmagic posted:

The type of person who capable of that would not win a democratic primary.

This is a dodge.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

RuanGacho posted:

We are a time capsule drifting through space. Occasionally a Nelix joins us.

On the other hand a fair amount of them seem to think Reddit is well designed.

Nelix was a pedophile. Kes was like 2 or 3.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Chilichimp posted:

The Clintons have a trail of bodies going back to the 70's when she murdered the guy who got a better grade than her in law school or some poo poo, idk, this is stupid.

My favorite quote about the Clinton Body Count was, to paraphrase, "The fact that Anthony Weiner is still alive is the best counterargument to the claim that the Clintons can have people killed."

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Vintersorg posted:

Things are actually not as bad as the 'that' in question, and saying so is not the same thing as dismissing the importance of current events. It is arguing against dismissing the importance of past ones.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New major story from the NYT:

I see what you've done here

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

most goons who still post are reregs, there are less legit new accounts than there are goons who haven't stopped posting here yet. i first signed up back in 2002 when i was a teen, i'm in my thirties now. teens generally don't even know how to find something awful unlike back in the early days when most teens didn't use the internet and the only ones who wanted to post on comedy forums were generally gamer nerds (still why the games forum is the biggest subforum on sa)

like no, there's no survey of goon ages, but given the forum's userbase stagnation it's likely that most goons still posting here are old timers and not relatively young recent newregs (tho there are a substantial contingent of those)

The requirement to have a credit card to sign up and actually pay money means that the userbase is going to be largely 18+. $10 isn't much but why bother when Reddit is free?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Z. Autobahn posted:

This is a dodge.

Not really, because a white nationalist candidate for congress beating up a globalist reporter is not really out of the ordinary with where the republicans are right now. It would be for democrats.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

lowtax doesn't even use snapchat

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Calling a white dude 'whitey' and a black person the n-word are not even remotely equivalent.

This is a dodge.

Oddly enough a Republican candidate choke slamming a reporter and a hypothetical Hillary Clinton choke slamming a reporter are not in any way equivalent either.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nerdz posted:

It wouldn't actually be hard to figure out the average age on these forums, or at least get an approximate estimate of it.

Go through all user's profiles and get their reg dates, assuming they were 18 or over when they registered.

If we go to user 100k, they are from 2006. User 150k is from 2009. The rest, 70k users are after that. So almost 2/3s of the forums users have been here for more than 10 years, either over 30 or pushing 30.

It kind of blows me away that I've been here for over ten years now and at the time I registered there were lots of dudes that had been around even longer. Something Awful may be a dead gay forum but the fact that it's persisted in some form for so long really says something.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The latest installment in ACAB/Florifa sucks:

https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/867795304560697344

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

A friend on Facebook the other day posted a question asking "How has Trump personally affected you in the last 123 days?" to make the point that everyone is overreacting about Trump & the Republicans. If anyone posted something like "They're trying to take away my health care", "They're destroying the planet" he'd respond with this smug "I'm not talking about what MIGHT happen, I'm talking about NOW. People are getting hysterical and nothing is changing!"

Yeah, there's an asteroid hurtling straight toward Earth, but has it actually wiped out the human race yet? That's what I thought. :smug:

e:

Yeah, there's a gun to your face, but has he pulled the trigger yet? Uh huh. Checkmate. :smug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Hillary Clinton choke lams a reporter that would be very interesting.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Oddly enough a Republican candidate choke slamming a reporter and a hypothetical Hillary Clinton choke slamming a reporter are not in any way equivalent either.

Imagine what today's news would look like if a black democrat bodyslammed a fox reporter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

The requirement to have a credit card to sign up and actually pay money means that the userbase is going to be largely 18+. $10 isn't much but why bother when Reddit is free?

this was true back in 2002 as well. young protogoons find their way here via the dissemation of goonish culture like weird twitter, chapo trap house, even 4chan sort of, but not many of them make the long trek into hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Fansy posted:

Imagine what today's news would look like if a black democrat bodyslammed a fox reporter.

Ugh. Good point.

• Locked thread