Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

pkay posted:

They are armed but they aren't willing to go full-scale genocidal civil war. They are scared which is why they brandish their guns in the street. These people are pussies straight up.

Most authoritarians are pussies. They so fear the consequences of allowing people to have freedom that they are willing to exchange it for a sense of security. The second they start to smell blood in the water, more will attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Apoplexy posted:

That was over slavery and secession. This is over people thinking trans people are subhuman filth who shouldn't be allowed to use public restrooms and that a pizza place was running a child sex ring out of its non-existent basement.

No, it's over everything, those issues are simply their current rallying cries.

They want things to be 'returned' to an America that never really existed.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Xae posted:

The Civil War ended.

I mean, duh. I know that. I was speaking philosophically. It's not like we aren't still shipping tons of African Americans into prisons to work as slaves.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

I mean, duh. I know that. I was speaking philosophically. It's not like we aren't still shipping tons of African Americans into prisons to work as slaves.
It's just their state of mind.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Man what the gently caress is up with this thread today? It's never good but it's really going full nihilist for no particular reason.

And yes things were worse in the 60s and 70s than they are right now get some drat perspective.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Chilichimp posted:

The problem with normalizing violence against political opponents is... it normalizes violence against political opponents, and that door swings both fuckin' ways.

I'm saying we might have just witnessed "he choke-slam heard round the world" in regards to political norms in the US.

I'm a pacifist, but I marched with The Bloc in D.C. The issue you raise can easily be flipped against the 'punch every nazi' mentality. I already know a few MAGAs that get frothy in their butt-vagina thinking of squaring off with Antifa.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man what the gently caress is up with this thread today? It's never good but it's really going full nihilist for no particular reason.

And yes things were worse in the 60s and 70s than they are right now get some drat perspective.

Were they? You think a guy could commit an assault and then get elected to congress the next day in the 60s or 70s?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't this all a bit of alarmism? Obviously I wasn't alive but I've seen movies, documentaries and read books about the Civil Rights/Vietnam era. if the country didn't rip itself apart over that and MLK being shot and the government literally lying to us every other sentence and spying on "dissidents", do we have to worry about Now being the worst time ever?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Apoplexy posted:

That was over slavery and secession. This is over people thinking trans people are subhuman filth who shouldn't be allowed to use public restrooms and that a pizza place was running a child sex ring out of its non-existent basement.

I don't get what you're trying to say here? Are you saying that the Civil War was fought over literally being able to own people and the current issues at hand aren't quite to that degree?

ImpAtom posted:

Saying we recovered from the civil was is pretty optimistic. We're still fighting people who fly the confederate flag.

I mean we at least got everyone to agree that having a cohesive nation is better than owning black people and it only took 150 years. 150 years later maybe it's finally time to take the next step and convince everyone that keeping the country in one piece is better than not having to treat non-white people with basic human decency!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

even the pope knows nothing matters

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/867698617234198528

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Were they? You think a guy could commit an assault and then get elected to congress the next day in the 60s or 70s?

Good god you suck.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Bhaal posted:

If I ever have the opportunity receive the extreme punishment of having to shake DT's hand, I'm going to stay off balance so that the cameras will unequivocally capture him yanking me to the ground.

In my statement I'll say with confusion that I've shaken hands with thousands of people and never once had that happen, so I had no idea he would pull me in so hard.

Vermin Supreme pulled Giraldo over a table with a handshake at the Deploraball, the night before the inauguration.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

The following two posts are from August 11th and 12th, respectively. These posts show how eager the militia movement was for any pretense to carry heavy weapons around minority neighborhoods in a blatant act of intimidation. Although the militia's have been quiet for a bit as a result of the post-Malheur crackdown; that crackdown has been effectively ended by the Trump administration. As the militias realize it is safe to poke their heads in public again you can expect them to begin appearing at political rallies in support of pro-Trump protesters. Their is a very strong risk for violence erupting from a scenario wherein some group like Oathkeepers shows up armed to protect some Proud Boys and opens fire on some antifa/minority protesters.

Interesting tidbit about the Ferguson Oathkeeper presence: the leader of the group present made the fatal mistake of talking to the protesters and went "unconstitutional government oppression of normal hard-working Americans? this sounds awful familiar!" and informed the rest of the organization of his intent to demonstrate in solidarity with the Ferguson locals against tyranny.

The rest of the organization immediately responded "when we were talking about protecting our communities against unconstitutional tyranny, we didn't mean those people! If you do this awful thing, we will have no choice but to kick you out!", whereupon the guy whose heart grew four sizes that day went "you can't fire me if I quit!" and left the Oathkeepers, along with a chunk of his supporters.

The end.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Love this one. You can see how much CoolPope despises the orange turnip.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A GOP candidate for Congress (who will probably win) chokeslammed a reporter and his party's response has been either "No Big Deal" or "Actually this is good"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't this all a bit of alarmism? Obviously I wasn't alive but I've seen movies, documentaries and read books about the Civil Rights/Vietnam era. if the country didn't rip itself apart over that and MLK being shot and the government literally lying to us every other sentence and spying on "dissidents", do we have to worry about Now being the worst time ever?

That's how Prester Jane do. Take her future prescriptions with a grain of salt except maybe if she's describing how a particular narcissist like the President :gonk: will respond to things.

Oh, and what axeil said.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Xombie posted:

That's the confusing thing for me. I get how people become fascists. I just don't get how they become fascist and think that it's some type of libertarianism.

This is from a bit back but I ended up in a Facebook conversation with a man who thinks the defining characteristic of White Culture is that every man owns himself and can own property
From there it's an easy step to white nationalism

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

Maybe not in the 1970s but 1870s, sure. Look up Ben "Pitchfork" Tillman. Ran on a campaign of literal lynching, and won. His nephew James Hammond Tillman literally assassinated a newspaper editor in 1903, in public in front of witnesses, and was acquitted.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 25, 2017

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

1960s America was 90% white.

2017 America might be as low as 62% or as high asv77% depending on how many hispanics are perceived as white. The stakes are much higher now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't get what you're trying to say here? Are you saying that the Civil War was fought over literally being able to own people and the current issues at hand aren't quite to that degree?

I dunno if I was really even trying to make a point there, just was venting. The Civil War was fought to end slavery and the secession of the southern states over it (from the winner's perspective :toot:), ergo, a good thing. What we're looking at now would be trying to suppress a genocidal social group who wave Pepe and Kekistan flags.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
The following post was written on August 21, 2015. Nearly two years ago. It was one of the first demonstrations of Glenn Beck appealing directly to the primacy of the inner narrative by declaring his "loyalty to a higher kingdom" over his "citizenship to the United States". He was in short declaring that his identity as a patriotic American was merely an outer narrative- (and therefor easily discarded at a moments notice without cognitivide dissonance or hesitation) and that his true loyalty (or the concept that he has formed his identity as a person around) is to the inner narrative.

In the context of the times his Enemy was the Federal Government itself and as he saw no great likelihood that this was going to change anytime soon at the time he was psychologically orienting himself/his audience (which was considerably larger at the time- Beck was one of the most influential figures in RWM at this particular moment of history) in opposition to their identity as citizens of America. A keep bit of context for the moment in time that this post was written was that Narrativists at the time did not psychologically believe themselves the legitimately empowered authorities over society.

In the context of the present the unexpected victory of Trump has changed the Narrative so that now Narrativists presently believe themselves the legitimately chosen rulers of our entire society, but the psychological primacy of the Enemy remains. This is why the idea of the Deep State has become so pervasive, the Deep State has become an outer narrative codeword for the Enemy that all Narrativists must oppose. However their inner narrative has modified as a result of Trump's victory such that they now regard themselves as true Americans and everyone else (from leftists to the Deep State) as un-American traitors- foreign others that must be oppressed.

**Bolding is a recent addition to highlight the psychological processes we see playing out at present in American society here.

Prester Jane posted:

This video deserves its own special post. What we are seeing here is the Outer Narrative starting to peel away and a very deep Inner Narrative start to peek out. A Narrativists ultimate loyalty is to the Inner Narrative, not to anything else. Because of the loss of the culture wars right wing Narrativists feel rejected by America itself, and their loyalty to the concept of being American is being openly questioned here. Despite what they might portray, patriotism is only an affectation among Narrativists, a useful Outer Narrative. Now that Outer Narrative's are starting to be whittled away across the board in all four right wing aligned Narrativist Clusters we are starting to see the Outer Narrative of patriotism being shed. The ultimate loyalty is to the Inner Narrative, and the Inner Narrative has gone from "It is prophesied that one day the US Gov't will turn against us 'true (insert group label here)'" to now "The prophesied time is here, the Us Gov't is our enemy NOW!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUtk7EEbSEM

**Disclaimer, a Schizophrenic projects her own experiences onto a diverse group of people. Take the below with a giant grain of salt.

This is a crucial change (psychologically speaking) to the Narrativist mindset. Although not quite as directly as one might expect. Despite the fact that many Narrativists believe they are living in whatever their personal version of the End Times is currently, people are still people and not likely to simply go out and start living in the woods/shooting race traitors. Or well, at least not right away. What causes problems in the long run is the stress of believing that you are living through the end of the world. When you see a blue sky and think soon there will be no more blue skies or when you look around at your favorite restaurant and think I sure am glad I got to experience this place before it all went to poo poo, I'm gonna miss all this, your thinking changes over at time.

At first it is kind of a rush, and kind of empowering. You can see the world for what it really is, and you can see the horror on the horizon that the sheeple around you are blind to. You feel superior to everyone around you, and you also begin to savor each of life's little delights. (at first) You stop to get ice cream on impulse and order a double just because might as well enjoy it while I can. The constant indulgence goes from a fun lark to an accustomed habit rather quickly though, and the fun of feeling smugly superior gives way to a sense of dread and despair. You become unable to enjoy anything after awhile, and the stress eats at you. You live with the Sword of Damocles forever dangling over your head, and eventually the stress of it leaves you wishing that it would just loving fall already and get it over with.

Even all the above will generally just leave the average person miserable and depressed. However, within Narrativist Clusters modern mental health is very suspect, if not outright verboten. It is my conjecture (obviously unproven at this point) that as a result of this and the Narrativist blind spot for symptoms of mental illness in general, Narrativists have a higher per-capita incidence of untreated mental illness than the general population. And under the constant stress of living in a delusion that the world is literally ending there is a very high chance that we see a significant uptick in hate crimes/spree shootings/general domestic terrorism. There are just so many unfortunate souls that are caught up in the Narrativist behavior pattern that do not understand the world around them, have been taught not to seek the actual source of help they need (psychology) and to instead embrace whichever self deluded "fix" seems to help, and are now being tormented by the sheer terror of the world they believe they are living in.

I am quite concerned that some of them may start snapping as this drags on. It may even go beyond the current lone nut level and into "small groups" level.

Under the present conditions of Trumps base of high-compaction Narrativists under such tremendous narrative dysphoria (and resultant compaction cycles) You can expect to see elements of the process of I outlined above playing out across perhaps as much as 35% of the US population but (I personally feel) no lower than 10%-15%.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but the present situation is.......distinctly concerning.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Please demonstrate uniqueness. The civil unrest of the 60s and 70s was in opposition to an intransigent government that wanted to functionally govern. The modern administration is openly antithetical to the norms and social contract on which post industrial nations operate. Words and motivations matter. Dubya's jingoism couched his authoritatianism in maintaining the ideas of the United States as constructed by his predecessors. By dropping that facade, what must first be restored, before any policy can be achieved, is the idea that democracy should persist.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nobody knew how complicated global politics is.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Uglycat posted:

I'm a pacifist, but I marched with The Bloc in D.C. The issue you raise can easily be flipped against the 'punch every nazi' mentality. I already know a few MAGAs that get frothy in their butt-vagina thinking of squaring off with Antifa.

The fringes of the political spectrum have always fought one another. Fascists and Communists have been at each other throats for longer than I've been alive, American is not an exception.

The problem I'm referring to is normalizing political violence. To the point that the candidate of a major political party can choke-slam a loving reporter because he writes articles for "the enemy" (his political opposition's base).

And not only is it possible he still wins this election, he won't be censured by congress, There's not a jury in Montana that would convict him, because these rubes believe assaulting reporters is the thing the right-wing should be doing.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 25, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe not in the 1970s but 1870s, sure. Look up Ben "Pitchfork" Tillman. Ran on a campaign of literal lynching, and won. His nephew James Hammond Tillman literally assassinated a newspaper editor in public in front of witnesses and was acquitted.

OK fair but he was talking about the 1960s and 70s... I keep coming back to that in the 80s, Jeff Sessions was too racist to get confirmed to a judgeship by a larger republican senate majority than today.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's because so many teenagers and twenty-somethings post here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Every picture of Francis from the Trump visit has been a look of "God must be testing me, I have to endure this trial."

I like how Merkel and others are all laughing because they know about Trump's dumb handshake and how Macron just isn't having any of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Huzanko posted:

It's because so many teenagers and twenty-somethings post here.

Most goons are now pushing thirty or older.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Prester Jane is a time traveler from the future her to warn us about a great calamity that will befall us, I'm convinced. I still chuckle about how drat hard she nailed down Donald Trump's character all those months ago.

I cry about it more than I laugh, though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/867790126176403456

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mcmagic posted:

OK fair but he was talking about the 1960s and 70s... I keep coming back to that in the 80s, Jeff Sessions was too racist to get confirmed to a judgeship by a larger republican senate majority than today.

Yeah the awesome 80s when the Federal Government knowingly allowed crack cocaine to decimate inner city black communities and purposely ignored the AIDS epidemic so as to allow it to function as a plague for gay people. Meanwhile we were propping up and arming genocidal dictators in Latin America and the Mid-East directly leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in a dozen undeclared proxy wars against another nuclear power.

The 80s were hosed even if it had the veneer of respectability.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ripoff posted:

Prester Jane is a time traveler from the future her to warn us about a great calamity that will befall us, I'm convinced. I still chuckle about how drat hard she nailed down Donald Trump's character all those months ago.

I cry about it more than I laugh, though.

I cry tears of insanity daily, consuming the worm from within while the crow feeds on me

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Most goons are now pushing thirty or older.

How do you know the age of every goon? Can I have access to the system that tells you that?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

mcmagic posted:

https://www.splcenter.org/what-we-do/civil-rights-memorial/civil-rights-martyrs

Herbert Lee was literally murdered in a parking lot by a Mississipi state legislator who was never charged with a crime. The other witness to the crime was also murdered later. That's one set of crimes amongst thousands from that era. Anyone remember when all the white people in a neighborhood would form packs with guns, kill and burn all the blacks they could find, then erect monuments to their own bravery?

Things really, really could be so much worse.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah the awesome 80s when the Federal Government knowingly allowed crack cocaine to decimate inner city black communities and purposely ignored the AIDS epidemic so as to allow it to function as a plague for gay people. Meanwhile we were propping up and arming genocidal dictators in Latin America and the Mid-East directly leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in a dozen undeclared proxy wars against another nuclear power.

1968 is going to be the high bar for Civil Unrest for the foreseeable future.

I hope.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also people don't realize the amount of horrible poo poo you would've seen and heard and read were the internet around in the 1980s.

You don't know how horrible things were because you lacked the means to know.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Please demonstrate uniqueness. The civil unrest of the 60s and 70s was in opposition to an intransigent government that wanted to functionally govern. The modern administration is openly antithetical to the norms and social contract on which post industrial nations operate. Words and motivations matter. Dubya's jingoism couched his authoritatianism in maintaining the ideas of the United States as constructed by his predecessors. By dropping that facade, what must first be restored, before any policy can be achieved, is the idea that democracy should persist.

Any transformational shift in the national paradigm requires the wholesale (or at least perceived) failure of the preceding one. You don't get FDR without Hoover, Reagan without Carter, etc. We're just 4 months into the Trump administration, and Fox News is a ruin, Dems are competitive in what should be 20+ R districts, and every week sinks the Presidency further. Assuming we make it to 2018 without dying in nuclear fire (which, okay, is a bit of an assumption), Trump will be the best thing that ever happened to the American left.

EDIT: To clarify -- a whole lot of terrible things will happen along the way there. And those should be fought and protested every step of the way. But the 'democracy is lost' gloom and doom bares no resemblance to what's actually happening.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Huzanko posted:

How do you know the age of every goon? Can I have access to the system that tells you that?

People post their ages, and these forums have had a stagnant userbase for years. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of actual teenagers still on here is in the double digits.

Granted, Covok is 24 and he's a hysterical dipshit, so your statement isn't totally without credence.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

1960s America was 90% white.

2017 America might be as low as 62% or as high asv77% depending on how many hispanics are perceived as white. The stakes are much higher now.

That is a fact I hadn't considered. I've seen some speculation about reactions to the inevitable death of "White America." I guess one of those reactions could indeed be armed insurrection.

Although, even if we concede we are sitting on a powder keg, I can't believe anything short of an extremely catastrophic event could trigger some sort of civil war or mass armed resistance. (and I'm referring to Left and Right here. Whoever picks up their guns first depends entirely on what the "spark" is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, ok, let's just ignore things. It's not that bad folks.

• Locked thread