Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What's the story with sci-fi puppies. People are alluding to it without actually telling the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

What's the story with sci-fi puppies. People are alluding to it without actually telling the story.

buncha right-wing authors were fed up with liberal hippies winning the hugos all the time so they exploited a loophole in the nomination process to get a slate of really poor hard-right sci-fi/fantasy works nominated. the backlash was pretty big and a bunch of those categories ended up picking the No Award option to deny their bullshit

sad puppies was the main thing, started by some sadsacks i can't even remember, but rabid puppies as led by theodore beale aka vox day a fuckin subhuman piece of poo poo who is the only person to get expelled from the sfwa after he called n. k. jemisin a "half-savage" bc she is black

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And to be clear, the Sad Puppies' idea of good sci-fi is David Drake's Hammer's Slammers, but if David Drake was Chris Kyle.

So, John Ringo.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I liked it only because I was furiously masturbating to Emily Mortimer the whole time. The helpless exasperation really does it for me.

By helpless exasperation, you mean she's just about to come but she needs Jeff Newsroom to actually slap her clit? Because that's what that looks like.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

By helpless exasperation, you mean she's just about to come but she needs Jeff Newsroom to actually slap her clit? Because that's what that looks like.

:yikes:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the weirdest discovery when it comes to the newsroom was finding out that olivia munn of all people is actually a good actor and can even work some pretty garbage material

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I admit I didn't follow it too closely so thanks

But they had to know they were going to lose badly at the actual awards, just from the backlash by nerds upset about RESPECTING THE PROCESS, right? I thought the point of it all was to show what a joke the Hugos are (which tbf everyone already knew anyway)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I like that all the characters on these sorkin shows are written exactly like Schmorky's "I'm so dumb and goddamned crazy!!" comic

Serf
May 5, 2011

Clipperton posted:

I admit I didn't follow it too closely so thanks

But they had to know they were going to lose badly at the actual awards, just from the backlash by nerds upset about RESPECTING THE PROCESS, right? I thought the point of it all was to show what a joke the Hugos are (which tbf everyone already knew anyway)

i was all up in the twitter drama at the time and "respect for the process" didn't really come up. it was more that the people and stories nominated were reprehensible garbage on top of being badly-written. the whole thing was "we're mad that liberal writers always get all the awards" but its not bc the writers are liberal but because they're just better than the poo poo these right-wingers churn out. try reading something from vox day or larry correia without throwing it in the trash can.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I like that all the characters on these sorkin shows are written exactly like Schmorky's "I'm so dumb and goddamned crazy!!" comic

and now shmorky is so dumb and goddamn crazy, what a tangled web we weave

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
sad puppies was gamergate but for the sci fi community but it never really managed to wedge off a large chunk of the modern audience

also the sci fi fandom is statistically speaking more well adjusted than self described gamers

coathat
May 21, 2007

Do not gently caress with gamers. This is you're only warning.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

coathat posted:

Do not gently caress with gamers. This is you're only warning.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's funny because you actually believe this.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lord Frisk posted:

Serf posted:

buncha right-wing authors were fed up with liberal hippies winning the hugos all the time so they exploited a loophole in the nomination process to get a slate of really poor hard-right sci-fi/fantasy works nominated. the backlash was pretty big and a bunch of those categories ended up picking the No Award option to deny their bullshit

sad puppies was the main thing, started by some sadsacks i can't even remember, but rabid puppies as led by theodore beale aka vox day a fuckin subhuman piece of poo poo who is the only person to get expelled from the sfwa after he called n. k. jemisin a "half-savage" bc she is black

Thread favorite Jeet Heer wrote about all that poo poo in the New Republic in April 2015. I read it with a :chloe: expression the entire time. Science Fiction's White Boys' Club Strikes Back

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I was gonna say that looking back on the scattered episodes I watched, and knowing what I know now, the biggest thing I remember was some kind of compromise on welfare.

Why is that such a thing? I think the biggest policy Frank Ratfuck on House of Cards actually passed was raising the retirement age.

Democrats have spent the past 40+ years trying to end New Deal programs and Social Security is the most visible one left standing. It's maybe their last big bargaining chip with the GOP, and so of course they have jerkoff fantasies of playing it just right to usher in a new golden era of post-partisan Liberal America.

sleeptalker fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 25, 2017

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I like when the gamergate shithead posts in the thread

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GalacticAcid posted:

Thread favorite Jeet Heer wrote about all that poo poo in the New Republic in April 2015. I read it with a :chloe: expression the entire time. Science Fiction's White Boys' Club Strikes Back

Samuel Delany describes himself as a “boring old Marxist” but loves the right-wing fiction of Heinlein. “Well, Marx’s favorite novelist was Balzac—an avowed Royalist,” Delany once explained. “And Heinlein is one of mine.” The largeness of soul and curiosity about differing ideas that Delany brought to his appreciation of Heinlein is sadly missing from all the resentment and angst of the Sad and Rabid Puppies.

:3:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Delany rules. The New Republic just reviewed his new diaries, btw. I haven't read it yet but here you go.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Wasn't the conceit of Studio 60 a live weekly comedy show from the WEST COAST?

Does it air at like 5pm PST or does it pull .05 ratings in EST?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Wasn't the conceit of Studio 60 a live weekly comedy show from the WEST COAST?

Does it air at like 5pm PST or does it pull .05 ratings in EST?

SNL runs at 11:30 EST so that doesn't seem unreasonable?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I didn't make it through the first season of the Newsroom. The thing I remember most about it was the ridiculous penthouse apartment Harry Dunne had. Did they ever mention that in the context of journalism being a dying profession and thousands of them being laid off?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dr. Stab posted:

It's funny because you actually believe this.

what are you talking about and can you elaborate on the people who follow me from thread to thread and post about gamergate? im an anarchist and feminist, i just think certain celebrities involved in video games and posting online are terrible people and occasionally known rapists and think its sad that they get support because they're part of the same club and signal with the correct shibboleths. I post about it when the topic comes up because I don't think known rapists should be allowed to be a part of left communities.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

a known rapist like...?

edit: wait wtf am I doing

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 25, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Exactly, you don't actually give a poo poo about people being raped or assaulted.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

SNL runs at 11:30 EST so that doesn't seem unreasonable?

up until last month it was tape delayed for the west coast

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Exactly, you don't actually give a poo poo about people being raped or assaulted.

lol

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

what are you talking about and can you elaborate on the people who follow me from thread to thread and post about gamergate?

You think they're following you?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It's a turn of phrase. I'm not suspicious that people who also identify as leftist post in leftist aligned threads, where I post. Don't be thick on purpose dude.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

what are you talking about and can you elaborate on the people who follow me from thread to thread and post about gamergate?

It's a turn of phrase. I'm not suspicious that people who also identify as leftist post in leftist aligned threads, where I post. Don't be thick on purpose dude.

What's there to elaborate on then?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what are you talking about and can you elaborate on the people who follow me from thread to thread and post about gamergate? im an anarchist and feminist, i just think certain celebrities involved in video games and posting online are terrible people and occasionally known rapists and think its sad that they get support because they're part of the same club and signal with the correct shibboleths. I post about it when the topic comes up because I don't think known rapists should be allowed to be a part of left communities.

I don't remember this reading series at all

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't remember this reading series at all

For some reason I can't picture Amber and Felix laughing and joking about how rape victims need to shut up and get the gently caress off twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

For some reason I can't picture Amber and Felix laughing and joking about how rape victims need to shut up and get the gently caress off twitter.

then stop sending them your journals!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

acksplode posted:

What's there to elaborate on then?

the people who post at me in all these threads as if i'm alt right, or hate women, or whatever, because I called a video games celebrity a rapist. We should probably be able to all post in the same threads in peace, as friends, but it's apparently very important to defend a rapist.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aaron Sorkin's The Gamesroom

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
video game's

acksplode
May 17, 2004

the people who post at me in all these threads as if i'm alt right, or hate women, or whatever, because I called a video games celebrity a rapist. We should probably be able to all post in the same threads in peace, as friends, but it's apparently very important to defend a rapist.

That sounds very odd to me. You're just defending rape victims! I'd like to help you get to the bottom of this. To start, I'll need some background. Can you fill me in on who the celebrity rapist is?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry I can't read your mind. You post like a lunatic, I have to assume you are one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I've mentioned it before. Zoe Quinn by her own description raped Eron Gjoni repeatedly, as well as engaged in other physical and emotional abuse. Later, she sexually harassed Wolf Wozniak at a wedding, upon which he was doxxed and harassed by Phil Fish and hundreds of online dudes, telling him he was never invited to the wedding, deserved whatever happened, etc. As far as I know, she's the only person involved w the "correct" side of the whole fiasco who is in fact a terrible person. Like, Anita makes cool videos, seems like a harmless person, I don't even know who else was involved. Obviously the dudes and nazis on the other side are guilty of many of the same things, and worse things, but to me, you can't excuse behavior like this just because someone is your ideological ally.

I don't have some sort of vendetta against anyone, this is just what happened. It's disgusting to act like this woman is a paragon of coolness and integrity when she's a rapist and abuser.