Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been hearing that the Facebook app is a battery hog. I had to install it because the one game I play uses Facebook as a backup, but something broke and now it only works if the Facebook app is installed (it used to just log in and backup by itself). If I never open the app, is it going to suck up my battery just sitting in the app drawer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if it starts on boot and runs in the background so yes it's possible

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, I've been on battery for 4.5 hours and it's not showing up in the usage section. And it had popped up a notification at me during that time, so I actually opened the app to hunt down the settings so I can turn them all off.

Edit: why is Dropbox up there? I haven't used that app in a few days. Probably for the background photo backup, but that still seems high...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Play Music has been paying for itself from my Rewards balance. Interesting, never used to do this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hardly get any surveys anymore :( Been 100% honest since the start since I did read you'll get cut off if you lie about your whereabouts, etc, and these days I get 1 survey a month or so. Could be a regional thing too, I'm curious if other Canadians get more.

e: good thread title imo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Survey frequency varies a lot for me. I'll go months getting like on a month if that then a few weeks of one a day at least then back to a dry spell again.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Do you have location off? I'm in the UK and most of my surveys are triggered from going in shops etc. When I travel it almost always asks me to rate the hotel I'm staying at.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Do you have location off? I'm in the UK and most of my surveys are triggered from going in shops etc. When I travel it almost always asks me to rate the hotel I'm staying at.

Nope, I have all location, etc, services enabled, Google tracks literally everything about me. I'm out and about very often, but only like once every few weeks it pops up and goes "hey we noticed you were at this store that was nearby where you were but not the store you were actually at" so I begrudgingly answer that I wasn't there and that's the last survey I get for the next month :smith:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I've been hearing that the Facebook app is a battery hog. I had to install it because the one game I play uses Facebook as a backup, but something broke and now it only works if the Facebook app is installed (it used to just log in and backup by itself). If I never open the app, is it going to suck up my battery just sitting in the app drawer?

Pretty sure you don't need the official fb app to log into toy blast

(he said sardonically while thinking of logging in to toy blast)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, I have all location, etc, services enabled, Google tracks literally everything about me. I'm out and about very often, but only like once every few weeks it pops up and goes "hey we noticed you were at this store that was nearby where you were but not the store you were actually at" so I begrudgingly answer that I wasn't there and that's the last survey I get for the next month :smith:

Same experience in the us

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's rumors that Android O or P might finally bring out a way to actually pick emoji sets systemwide in the same way you'd pick fonts or a language, but for now no OS on any sort of system offers a good way to do that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

There's rumors that Android O or P might finally bring out a way to actually pick emoji sets systemwide in the same way you'd pick fonts or a language, but for now no OS on any sort of system offers a good way to do that.

We can pray they solve this thorny issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If they do that, what will they have left to add to Allo?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

If they do that, what will they have left to add to Allo?

Stickers. More stickers. Always more stickers.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Scudworth posted:

Stickers. More stickers. Always more stickers.

They just added a feature that turns your selfies into stickers, so

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Is there a way to choose systemic fonts in 5, 6, etc? I don't recall that

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sweart gliwere posted:

Not in stock android but Samsung phones can do it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sweart gliwere posted:

No, when I say the way you pick fonts I mean in the way you'd do it on PC or Mac.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nimper posted:

Not in stock android but Samsung phones can do it

Yeah, that's my favorite crazy Samsung carryover from WinMo6 or whatever. Those sweet red flags, when you spot someone in the wild with that childlike comic sans derivative

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, that's my favorite crazy Samsung carryover from WinMo6 or whatever. Those sweet red flags, when you spot someone in the wild with that childlike comic sans derivative

Choco Cooky :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Every Samsung eventually switches to Choco Cooky.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
It's never any of the other options. It's always Choco Cooky. Why they don't make that the default is beyond me!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

I'm remembering helping friends with their feature phones, to disable the stupid water/bubble noise which accompanied every tap. Hopefully that innovation lives on today

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

If that's as far as you've gone I feel bad for you sung

BenguiatGothic represent

Climb every mountain

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have a Samsung

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

I don't have a Samsung

Defend your (lack of) purchase!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

fishmech posted:

I think that ended up being a bad interpretation of a feature that lets app developers include specific fonts just for their app, nothing system wide unfortunately.

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm remembering helping friends with their feature phones, to disable the stupid water/bubble noise which accompanied every tap. Hopefully that innovation lives on today
They did finally do away with that at some point, the S6 maybe?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

syscall girl posted:

Sincere apologies though I have not had my coffee yet. Like no joke. It's starting to become a problem that is isolating me from other people and I need to read my Garfield and murder all purveyors of decaff.

You're actually Sean Young, aren't you

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

E: wt

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Pretty sure you don't need the official fb app to log into toy blast

(he said sardonically while thinking of logging in to toy blast)

It's Marvel Puzzle Quest!

It's not much better!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

You're actually Sean Young, aren't you

That's the nicest thing someone has said about my lovely posts in like forever. Thank you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

datajosh posted:

I think that ended up being a bad interpretation of a feature that lets app developers include specific fonts just for their app, nothing system wide unfortunately.

The only thing I've heard of is the Emoji Support Library which would allow apps to package and include their own specific emoji set in order to ignore the systemwide set which you know will be abused so that apps then lag behind the system's emoji set forever.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Apps can already use their own set of emoji. Whatsapp on Android uses the iOS emoji for example.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Apps can already use their own set of emoji. Whatsapp on Android uses the iOS emoji for example.

I don't doubt you're right, but why then the announcement of support for it? Doesn't Whatsapp do it in some weird way?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I don't doubt you're right, but why then the announcement of support for it? Doesn't Whatsapp do it in some weird way?

The new emoji support library (EmojiCompat) will allow app developers to simply place said library in their application, at which point all emoji that the latest version of Android supports will be available to users of said app. Granted, the emoji that the device doesn't support would probably differ in appearance from any manufacturer-customized emoji on the device, which makes the experience less than ideal (presumably, standard Android emoji would be shown), but it's better than a blank square, right?

At the moment it can change how they look in the app but can't add support for new emoji in newer versions than what is installed on the device, this fixes that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

At the moment it can change how they look in the app but can't add support for new emoji in newer versions than what is installed on the device, this fixes that

Ahhhhh, gotcha.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Desk Lamp posted:

LastInLine posted:

Textra does this also.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I can't seem to delete notes in Keep. I select the note, hit delete, the note goes away, a message comes up saying the note has been moved to trash, and half a second later it shows back up.

Edit: as I was recording me screen to show what's happening, I captured it happen once or twice, then the third time the notes stayed gone. Wtf? This has been going on for like a week.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The exact same thing just happened to me except it took four attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I got fed up with Keep when I could open it on one machine and, instead of pulling down new and updated notes, it would keep the out-of-date data and push that back to everywhere else.